Shattered Worlds

By TheOrangutan

Military SciFi: The shattered remnants of the Battle of Antar are drafted back into service and retrained wit... More

Shattered Worlds - Part 2...

Shattered Worlds - SciFi Smackdown - The Final!

3K 116 34
By TheOrangutan

Shattered Worlds

With fists clenched and white knuckles he sat in the corner of the bar and watched the Battle of Antar on the holoscreen. A half finished beer rested between his shaking hands on the table; forgotten now and warming quickly in the heat of the morning sun.

"It wasn't like that," he whispered.

The propaganda film reached its dizzying climax as the pulse weapons dropped to the surface of the Earthlike planet below, fire spreading across the surface of the soon to be uninhabitable world. The enemy ship that had fired the weapon disengaged from the battle and sped away, a disguised moon shedding its camouflage as the powerful ion drive moved it away from the dying world that it had once covertly orbited. A message flashed across the screen.

"The enemy use outlawed pulse weapons and covert methods, they must be destroyed. Join up now: BattleCorp, we fight the Lizards so you can live in peace."

Too late, the barmaid flicked the screen to a sports feed and then watched as the man seemed to slump in his seat, his eyes closing as tears leaked from the horror held behind the lids, hands resting on the table shaking in palsied anger and memory.

~

Confusion, death, pain.

The Lizards had caught them in a dry valley, weapons fire raining down on them from the surrounding mountains as Corp Command sought to locate and destroy the hidden positions.

"Sarge! What do we do?"

Jak turned to Corporal Sutter and relayed a command he'd just received from his Captain. "Get the men to the withdrawal point, now. The enemy have managed to surround us, the only thing we can do is withdraw as fast as we can. Move!"

Sergeant Jak watched as the Corporal rallied the remnants of the small platoon to a nearby hillock, and waited for further orders as they formed a defensive perimeter of anything they could find. As he moved toward them, his rifle held ready against any Lizards that followed, another message whispered through the speakers in his helmet.

"Platoon, down!" Jak turned and ran toward the men frantically gesturing with a free hand. He watched as Sutter automatically hit the ground, those nearby following his example in a spreading wave of diving bodies. Still running, he watched helplessly as the troop were pinwheeled away from the exposed beam point by the BattleCorp pulse weapon that had been mis-deployed by the spaceship in orbit, a ship that was meant to be protecting them. Smashed to the ground along with the rest, he shook his head and then lifted himself back to his feet, staggering toward the groaning remnants of his troop as his radio crackled into life.

"Five minutes Sergeant," his Captain's voice crackled through the ether. "I'm almost there, hang on."

"There's nothing left to hang on to sir, we've been almost wiped out."

"So have the Lizards in the mountains. You're still there Sergeant, so I'm coming back for you. Sit tight."

Jak sank to his knees next to his Corporal and flinched as a massive Lizard battlecruiser ploughed into the ground twenty kilometres away. A wash of heat swept toward him and he instinctively bent over the body of the injured Sutter.

"What's going on Sarge?"

"We're waiting Corporal: waiting for the Captain to dig our sorry backsides out of this fiery shithole."

"The troop?"

"I think most of them have had it; they caught the bulk of the pulse weapon. I can barely walk straight, so I think we must've caught some of it too."

"The Lizards really caught us this time, eh Sarge?"

"Aye, they did: that and our own side dropping illegal weapons on us. We've been royally screwed over lad."

"At least the Captain's still with us..."

"Aye. Hang in there, here he comes."

~

Jak lurched upright, the glass teetering precariously on the cheap table for a moment before settling again. The barmaid paused in her work and watched as he staggered away into the bright sunlight outside, his movements reminiscent of a puppet being controlled by invisible strings. The two other customers propping up the bar turned and watched him go.

"Who's the drunk?" asked one.

"He's not drunk; he's only had half a beer. He's a war hero, one of the few survivors of the Antar pulse weapon." She went back to polishing the bar.

"Bastard Lizards," swore the man. "They went against every treaty signed."

"Oddly, that's not how Jak tells it," said the woman softly.

"He 'was' a war hero," corrected the other man, placing a credit token on the bar. He lifted his cap high on his forehead from where it had been shadowing his face and continued. "He's no hero any more, he's just a sad, broken shadow of what he once was, but he can be one again, given time and a little help. Thanks for beer miss..."

The barmaid and other patron watched the man leave, both puzzled by his words. The barmaid picked up the token from the bar and then frowned at the "BattleCorp" logo on the coin.

"Good luck Jak," she said softly.

~

Wind rattling grit and dust against the metal shutters of his house brought Jak back into the world of the conscious, and he groaned as the sunlight speared into his eyes. The heat of the day was already building outside, pale morning light bathing the small coastal town on the backwater moon on which he lived.

"It took me a while to find you, Sergeant."

Jak scrabbled for the weapon under his pillow and instinctively rolled away from the voice as his hands failed to find it. He hit the floor clumsily, and half fell against the bed frame, his eyes picking out the figure seated in the armchair in the shadows.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Don't you recognise my voice Jak?"

"Captain?" he whispered and then lurched upright, staggering around the end of the bed and into a hug from the other man.

"It's good to see you sir. How are you?"

"I seem to be in better shape than you old son."

"Well that's always going to be the case isn't it?" snapped Jak, his habitual anger instantly lashing out. "Ever since those bastards at Command broke the treaty and screwed up on Antar, we 'few' have been largely forgotten and swept under the carpet.

"I never forgot Sergeant."

"Don't call me that. I'm just plain Jak now." His anger dissipated and he held out a wavering hand. "I'm sorry sir, it really is good to see you again. May I buy you breakfast? Mary's Bar does a damn good fry up."

"No, I'll buy you breakfast. Besides, there's something I need to talk to you about..."

~

They sat in companionable silence for a while looking out across the bay. Two empty plates rested on the table in front of them and a gently smiling Mary set down a couple of coffees on the table before walking back to the bar. Jak smiled back and lifted his carefully with both hands to keep the drink steady. He took a cautious sip of the steaming brew and then initiated the conversation that his former Captain had been waiting for.

"So, you said you needed to talk to me about something?"

"Yes. I have a proposition for you, but please wait until I've finished and hear me out before you say anything. Okay?"

"Okay."

"I'd like you to come back to active service with BattleCorp." He held up a hand as anger instantly darkened the other man's face. "I know, not the best start, but please hear me out.

"There have been recent medical developments that might help you with your injuries. There are implants that can reverse the effects of the pulse weapon you and some of your platoon suffered. These implants have been fully tested and now we can offer them to you. The condition is that you return to active service for one last mission. Once that mission is complete the debt will be considered as paid and you can return here, or go anywhere within the Torus Worlds. BattleCorp will set you up financially and you can retire properly.

"But, I'd like you to come and work for me. I'll be your commanding officer. It's your call."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"As much as I respect you, sir, why the hell should I?" Jak raised a hand as Price opened his mouth. "And this time sir, please let me finish.

"BattleCorp dropped us in the shite, then tried to bury us along with the Lizards and then once we'd been saved by you, they refused to acknowledge we existed, leaving most in military hospital and treated like zombies, or those few of us who can still move, forgotten and left to rot wherever we can find some semblance of peace.

"This place is my home now, a small bar on a backwater moon. Mary looks after me well and puts up with my foibles, so why the hell should I? I owe BattleCorp nothing. I may owe you my life, but that doesn't give you the right to ask me back to put my life on the line for them, a command that kills its own troops with no regard. Tell me Captain, have they seduced you yet? Are you being groomed for higher things?"

"I think perhaps you go too far Sergeant."

"I'm sorry Captain, but I'm no Sergeant anymore. Now I'm just a tired old cripple who has nothing to offer other than my thanks for this remnant of a life and a decent meal."

Jak stood, his limbs trembling both with anger and the effects of the damage to his nerves. "Nice to see you again Captain, next time I'll buy you lunch."

As he began to walk away, Price called out to him. "Jak! There's someone else here to see you."

Jak stopped and turned. A soldier in Corporal's uniform marched smartly out from behind the bar, saluted, grinned and then bounded forward to drop his arms around his former comrade.

"Good to see you, Sarge. Look, they fixed me!"

"Holy shit! Sutter?"

"Yes."

"The last time I saw you, you could barely move."

"Aye, I know. Look." Sutter turned around and removed his beret. Just above and behind his left ear was a glossy black plug in his skull.

"They've implanted some sort of electro-neuro implant that re-establishes all the links fried by the pulse weapon. I can move even more quickly than I used to. I now have one robotic arm and a false eye, but there's more Jak, they're going to..."

"Corporal..." The word said quietly, but with the note of command that Jak remembered.

"There is more Sergeant, but this is not the place to discuss it. I'll leave you and Sutter to talk about old times and get drunk together. You have 24 hours." He stood and moved to Jak's side. "It's good to see you Jak, and even if you don't agree to this, I'll try my best to make sure the Corp provide better for you. I'll pop back in tomorrow afternoon.

"Sutter, there's credit behind the bar. Your orders are to get this man drunk, have a good time and don't catch anything nasty."

"Yes sir!" said Sutter grinning. "Best orders I've had in years, sir!"

"Aye, I thought you might like 'em. Have some fun gentlemen. I'll be in touch."

~

Jak wasn't sure how long the hangover lasted, but the ramifications of the decision that followed were certainly more painful. Whisked away from his simple room over the bay and habitual solitude in Mary's Bar, Jak found himself in an underground BattleCorp medical facility where he was scanned, probed, modified, re-engineered and then re-educated in the ways of walking. That was the first of the surprises. Several months after his drunken binge with Sutter, the Corporal entered his quarters, saluted and requested his presence on parade to inspect their platoon.

"We have a full platoon now Corporal?"

"We do Sarge, well sort of. It's the remnants of the original squad plus the survivors of Blue squad who were in the same area when we got caught in the pulse. Captain says he's got a surprise for us too."

"I'm not sure whether I like the sound of that or not," muttered Jak. "Right, give me a couple of minutes Corporal and I'll be out."

Jak walked over to his wardrobe as the door closed behind Sutter. He ran his fingers down the soft cloth of the uniform inside, steady hands tracing the three stripes on one arm. Lifting his hand, he felt the smooth surface of the plug by his ear and flexed the fingers, looking in the mirror as he did so.

"All fixed and ready to rock," he said under his breath. He grinned suddenly. "So let's rock."

~

Corporal Sutter saluted smartly as Jak approached the small platoon. He grinned as he noted the firm stride and purposeful walk, a walk similar to his own now their fitness had been returned to them.

"They're all yours Sergeant."

"Thank you, Corporal."

Jak cast his eyes over the reformed group of men and women, some twenty odd soldiers. Many grinned at him, some nodded in greeting, and one or two simply stood impassively, waiting.

"Good morning. For those of you who don't know me, I am Sergeant Jak and as of now you are my platoon.

"We are unique. We were shattered but are now whole again, and now we have been given a second chance..." he paused briefly and glanced to his right as he noticed the approach of Captain Price. "... a chance to prove that we can still fight, and a chance to prove to ourselves that we are whole again. Now, I suspect Captain Price has some more information for us. Good morning sir."

There was a questioning tone to the sentence, and Price smiled in response.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. As your Sergeant has said, I have a little surprise for you... meet the rest of your new squad."

From behind a nearby building came the steady sound of marching feet and in perfect unison, one-hundred battle dressed troops fell in behind the squad.

"From now on, you will be known as Shatter Platoon. This is both a reference to your shattered past and your proposed future as a shock unit who will shatter the enemy defences and destroy specific targets. Each one of you twenty will be responsible for five of the one hundred who stand behind you. They are drones and will act as your shield, your protector, your eyes, ears and weapons."

He paused for dramatic effect as whispers and questions filled the morning air.

"Enough!" stated Jak firmly and the whispering ceased, although he too turned to cast an incredulous look at the Captain.

"You have all been fitted with neuro-implants tailored to your individual requirements. Some of you have bionic limbs, eyes, or organs; some are more or less whole but had some nerve damage. You are now all fixed, faster, stronger and more able than you were before, and now you will become something different entirely. All of you now possess the capability to link to your drones and perform as a unit.

"Corporal Sutter, front and centre please."

"Yes, sir." Sutter stood next to the Captain and the man closed his eyes for a second and concentrated. Five drones peeled off from the unmoving mass behind the men and arranged themselves in neat formation by the Corporal.

"These are yours Corporal. If you focus and extend your senses you should become aware of them and then be able to move them."

"Um... ok sir. I'll give it a go."

Sutter looked at the drones and appeared to concentrate, frown lines creasing his forehead. Abruptly all five lifted their right hands and flipped the bird at Sergeant Jak who burst out laughing, the tension of the moment releasing itself in a wave of giggling that spread through the platoon and took him some time to control.

"Thank you, Corporal," said Price shaking his head ruefully. "That was very creative." He proceeded to assign drones to the other men and women in the platoon and soon all were playing with their drones, getting them to jump up and down, or run in circles in unison.

"And finally yours, Sergeant," Price said softly in his ear.

Jak became aware of five other presences behind him. Each seemed to be an empty space, but an attentive one.

"Eventually you will be able to control them all as separate units; they will become an extension of your mind, additional senses, arms, and legs. You will be able to control other drones to a limited degree, but the longer you have your own drones, the more they will become attuned to you and ultimately will respond only to you. Allow me to demonstrate."

"Squad, atten... shun."

The platoon snapped back into a line, the five drones issued to each man and woman lined up behind them.

"Please watch, and then you can begin to explore the potential of your new units."

Anyone close to the Captain would have seen a very slight frown momentarily line his brow and then five new drones jogged across the training ground, each carrying weapons. They moved seamlessly into a V shape and then the two end drones peeled off left and right, speeding up and scouting ahead. As they approached the platoon, who were watching spellbound, the two scouting ahead circled around the group and then the five positioned themselves equidistant about the group and leveled their weapons.

"I surrender!" called one of the squad and a chuckle spread through the group.

"I am in this with you. We have one month to prepare and then we go live. Sergeant, you have command. Drill them, prepare them, find out the limitations of your Link.

"Shatter Platoon! Are you ready?"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"Then ladies and gentlemen, soon we will get to kick some Lizard arse. Carry on Sergeant."

~

"Okay children, we have approximately five minutes until we enter the atmosphere of Talamar 2. Up until now it's all been playtime. This ladies and gentlemen is where it becomes very real indeed. The Captain has just briefed me and Corporal Sutter. I will now brief you, as the Captain is busy flying the ship and we wouldn't want him to lose concentration now, would we?"

"Talamar 2 is a shit hole, but it's also the shit hole that spawned the Lizards. It rains almost constantly down there and the planet is currently in the grip of a bi-annual storm that makes even the Lizards huddle in their burrows. This is our chance, now that our forces have driven them back to their home planet.

"We are the only troop who can do this. Our implants give us protection against the electrical pulses in the storm, a storm that means very few people can survive in it. Each of your drones is carrying explosives in their packs that will be used to blow up the Lizard stronghold once we have infiltrated it.

"We are part of the last push ladies and gentlemen. We have been equipped with unique weaponry," he gestured at the silent drones sitting in their midst. "We have been gifted with a new chance to make a difference, a new chance to fight and a new chance to make a life once all this is over. All we have to do now is finish this.

"Are you ready to fight!"

"Yes!" roared the twenty strong squad, a hundred and twenty arms lifting in unified salute.

"Then hold on tight children, it's going to be a rough flight in."

Jak strapped himself in as the ship entered the atmosphere. Almost as soon as the ship entered the stratosphere, it started bucking and jumping, the storm throwing the craft around like a cork in a stream. Jak looked over at Sutter who was grinning maniacally at him and he grinned back.

"Two minutes to landing," came the calm voice of the Captain over the tannoy.

"You reckon we're going to land or splash?" shouted Sutter over the roar of the engines.

"Both. Did you pack your rubber ring?"

"I was thinking of making a self-powered raft of these guys." Sutter gestured to his 'five'.

"Can you mentally paddle that fast?" said Jak grinning.

"I hope we don't have to find out. I just hope these bastards are waterproof."

Further conversation was forestalled by a brutal impact with the ground that winded many of the soldiers and left one buried under a mound of equipment. As some of the drones proceeded to dig out the spluttering soldier, the Captain appeared in the hold.

"Sorry about that, the landing gear decided to go haywire," he muttered to Jak.

"Right. Grab your kit, command your 'fives' and let's get wet. Corporal, take your squad east as agreed; Sergeant, west. I'll take my 'five' and Lance Corporals Harvey and Ai and their 'fives' through the middle.

"You know your targets. Let's finish this."

The large doors of the cargo bay opened and the storm entered in all its fury. Visors down and mapping sensors giving them a clear view of the land ahead, the platoon moved out into the downpour.

End of Part 1...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 1.1K 75
boy x boy Little space - self harm (few) - fluff - angst - cursing
468 65 13
Imagine a world where souls rest on shelves, constantly on the verge of shattering. Every human has a soul, and, in the Orbs Hall, those souls are do...
No You Didn't By Nichole

Mystery / Thriller

302 59 13
Seven years ago, Clay Mongomery was convicted of poisoning his four children. His sister, Viv, knows he's innocent. In the years that follow, Viv's s...
2.9K 596 17
After two opposites find comfort in each other and have an instant connection but can't be together, they collide again months later and get a secon...