A Dog Father Cannot Beget a D...

By tipofthepencil

Fei Chuan was bound to a system upon death and tasked with raising a [Villain] from small to big in one world... More

Clean Slate
If You Wish on a Shooting Star
World 1: Part 2
In the [Prelude] (1)
World 2: Lay Back and Think of England
World 2: Part 2
In the [Prelude] (2)
[Interlude] (1)
World 49: [Restart]
Word 50: My Little Brother Can't Be This Cute!
World 50: Part 2
[Interlude] (7)
World 50: Part 3
World 50: Part 4
World 50: Part 5
World 51: Ruler of a Crumbling World
World 51: Part 2
[Interlude] (22) Part 1
[Interlude] (22) Part 2
World 52: A Viking Invasion
World 52: Part 2
World 52: Part 3
World 52: Part 4
World 52: Part 5
World 52: Part 6
World 52: Part 7
World 53: The Path We're Born On
World 53: Part 2
World 53: Part 3
World 53: Part 4
World 53: Part 5
World 53: Part 6
World 53: Part 7
Interlude (46)
World 53: Part 8
World 53: Part 9
In the [Prelude] (3)
World 54: Heir and a Spare
World 54: Part 2
World 54: Part 3
World 54: Part 4
[Interlude] (21): Part 1
[Interlude] (21): Part 2

World 1: Like Taking Candy from a Baby

7.5K 352 40
By tipofthepencil

The National Guard had a few strict requirements, but the one that caused the most grief was the order that a male's hair could be no longer than 3 inches, and that a female's hair could be no longer than 8. Offenders were dragged to the local barber and had all their hair shaved off. So actually, Fei Chuan was pretty familiar with the uncomfortable glow of the sun bouncing off bare scalps.

It didn't mean he liked to look at it every waking moment of the day. Or be surrounded by it. Or catch a glimpse of it when he passed by a clear pond, of which the temple had several.

This whole situation made Fei Chuan want to crawl out of his skin, and the only solace he could get was the presence of the cleaning maids, who did not have to follow the aesthetics of the male monk population.

Fei Chuan cracked on the third day. Turning to the little blue ankle bracelet that hung on his left ankle like some sort of prisoner's shackle, Fei Chuan asked, "Okay, what am I supposed to do here?"

The ankle bracelet actually dulled a bit, and gave off an air of "was that a fly just now?" Seeing this affected obliviousness, Fei Chuan really wanted to punch a wall.

"...oh great Master Qin, what am I supposed to do here?" Fei Chuan forced out. He truly did not believe that he couldn't break the little accessory in two, but getting it off was another issue.

The ankle bracelet glimmered, an assortment of lights flashing along its curved ridges. A notification popped up.

[Task 01.a: Take away Gu Song's smuggled candy (Daily Event).]

Fei Chuan found himself speechless. What was this? Taking candy from a baby? Gu Song happened to be a part of the group of young initiates who were sent to live at the temple to be taught discipline under the care of the veteran monks. However, the oldest of these initiates was barely nine years old. Fei Chuan looked down at his muscular, 30-year-old body and shook his head.

This task was clearly bullying! Where would he have the face to meet his bald colleagues after this?

Ah, whatever. Complete the task, deal with everything else later. Fei Chuan honestly did not want to stay in this world any longer than absolutely necessary. Now where was the Gu child? Better start with the usual places for initiates to hang out.

Fei Chuan first walked over to the youths' lodging and peeked in. The young initiates quickly snapped to attention and several made aborted motions that implied that they were hiding something underneath their cots. Fei Chuan narrowed his eyes at their powdery fingers and the faint smell of fruit.

Remembering his task, Fei Chuan intoned gravely, "Young monks, beware of the temptation of candy. Sugar is poison to your bodies, and should be avoided at all costs. Please hand over the contrabands."

The kids with sticky fingers tried to avoid his sight, but Fei Chuan's imposing presence eventually made them crack and hand over their sweets. "Very good," Fei Chuan praised, then walk away. It absolutely didn't grow his ego to see little brats bite their lips and stare at the confiscated goods in his hands with pitiful eyes. There was no power trip going on. Nope. Not at all.

Onto the cafeteria.

After a full hour of searching and making a few kids cry, Fei Chuan earned the title "Hateful Adult" and finally found Gu Song furtively chewing a gummy in a tree. The sun had reached it's height, signaling that it was now noon, and Fei Chuan did his best to ignore the oppressive heat on his scalp and the sweat underneath his armpits.

"Initiate Gu Song," he called up the tree. "Spit that out."

Gu Song nearly jumped out of the tree, and stared down at Fei Chuan with a startled look. "Young monk," Fei Chuan began, reciting something he'd said at least a thousand times today, "beware of the temptation of candy. Sugar is poison to your bodies, and should be avoided at all costs. Please hand over the contrabands."

Gu Song was obviously reluctant, but Fei Chuan pried the snacks out of his grubby palms and sent him on his way. Feeling slightly uneasy, but unable to pinpoint why, Fei Chuan quietly climbed up the tree to where Gu Song previously was.

There was nothing there but a bird's nest. Fei Chuan jumped back down and pondered a bit, before walking away.

Looking at the candy in his hands, Fei Chuan felt a little reluctant to toss them out. Oh, the sweet gummies absolutely had to go, Fei Chuan hated sweets with a passion. But the sour hard candies....one had to know, these past few days Fei Chuan had only eaten congee for breakfast, rice for lunch, and leftover rice for dinner. After making sure no one was around, Fei Chuan dropped most of his loot into the communal trashbin and hid the sour candy inside his sleeves.

[Task 01a complete. Task 01b available in 3:17:29.]

Then the moment Fei Chuan had been dreading came. A nondescript monk sidled up to him. "Brother Fei."

"Brother Sun."

"Brother Fei, I have heard rumors that the young initiates are not happy with you. You must not unthinkingly abuse your authority with impure motivations, it should be said."

Fei Chuan nodded. "I understand, brother Sun. In fact, one should not abuse their authority even with pure motivations."

The monk put a heavy hand on Fei Chuan's shoulder . "Brother Fei is a jester. I came to let you know that tonight's meal will once again be rice, though the duty of cooking falls upon you. Now go. The head brother Jing wishes to see you at the Clear Spring."

"I see. Thank you for letting me know. In return, I wish to enlighten brother Sun that when we all die, our remains return to the earth and offer the nutrients for the next life, whether that be a young bird or a rice plant."

"How very enlightening," Brother Sun's eyes were unsmiling though his lips were raised at the corners. "I'm sure that's an end anyone can accept." Ending their cordial conversation there, Fei Chuan headed to the pond area to meet up with the head brother, and was promoted for his efforts to "educate the youth."

...Fei Chuan found himself speechless yet again.

Though Brother Sun's face made everything a little bit better.

[Task 01a. Take away Gu Song's smuggled poached eggs (Daily).]

...

[Task 01a complete. Task 01b available in 2:03:54]

...

[Task 01.a. Take away Gu Song's gathered netting needles (Daily).]

...Well, netting needles _were_ a health hazard. Fine.

[Task 01a complete. Task 01b available in 1:11:22]

...

[Task 01a. Take away Gu Song's borrowed playboy book (Daily)]

....where did that even come from. Somehow Fei Chuan had an inkling that one of the older, balder monks might know.

[Task 01a complete. Task 01b available in 12:13:33]

....

Because Fei Chuan's character emphasized fairness, whatever the tasks made him confiscate from Gu Song, Fei Chuan personally went around and confiscated from every other child and even from his colleagues. In short, his new repertoire of nicknames included "Dream-Crusher", "Tyrant", "Busybody", and of course, "Stick Up Yours". He also got another promotion from the ecstatic Head Brother Jing, boosting Fei Chuan's rank up to "Overseer Monk."

Fei Chuan sneezed. Somehow, Fei Chuan felt like several people have been cursing him behind his back lately.

"So, how am I terrorizing small children today?" Fei Chuan asked the ankle bracelet. Apparently, no one else could see the accessory. Neither could they feel it, even though Fei Chuan could swear that the sensation of cold metal against his skin followed him in his dreams.

The ankle bracelet remained silent.

"...Master Qin."

[Task 01a has ended. Task 01.b. Save the butterfly from Gu Song (Weekly)]

The uneasy feeling from before crept back up. Without a word, Fei Chuan furrowed his brows and headed towards where the initiates were learning their scriptures. The initiates, upon seeing him, stared at him resentfully and scurried out of the way. Gu Song wasn't there.

"Young Monk, where is Initiate Gu Song? Why is he not attending lessons?" Fei Chuan addressed the nearest child.

The child straightened up in terror. "R-reporting to Overseer. Brother Gu had a stomach ache this morning and is recuperating in the youths' lodgings!"

"Hn." Fei Chuan nodded in acknowledgment and turned around. Then after a moment's pause, Fei Chuan turned back to stare down the child. "Do not play around with silver needles. Remove those from your sleeves at once and hand it to your instructor."

"Y-yes!"

Fei Chuan, satisfied, turned and walked away.

"What did the Tyrant want with Brother Gu?"

"Who knows?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404K 18K 48
A shameless and sometimes even sadistic beauty. That's how the people would describe Shu Ning. He was very popular with men and woman equally but of...
Screw This By FOAA

General Fiction

30.5K 1.8K 21
Dying after moving was not on Yeong-Cheol's plans, nor was traveling to different worlds. Even worse suddenly the guy he's supposed to kill keeps fli...
24.2K 565 158
Yuan Li was an excellent logistics personnel on the battlefield. One day, after transmigrating, he found himself in ancient times as the son of a min...
198K 11.6K 67
1. A Straight guy in Otome BL game He died and reincarnated into another world. As a small villain. His job is to torture the protagonist. I refuse...