Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Thirty Five

1.7K 259 29
By WeirderMum

Since the news of nurse Uju's death, mum have suddenly become absorbed in her thoughts. Most times, I'll walk in on her rambling incoherent words, or even crying for nothing at all. Her response was always two words. "I'm fine!".

We stayed an extra week in the hospital which literally put me off school for over a month and Zara for a week. Aunty Tee never came around to visit mum even though I was certain she'd be getting updates about her progress. His other family members never cared to ask after her, to them it was though she never existed, like she got what she deserved. And their prayers answered.

I've tried severally to stop thinking about my dad and his family's hatred towards mum, but yet each passing second I find my mind drifting back to it.

"Why housing so much hatred for just one human?"

Eight days after she regained consciousness, Dr Ken and his team announced that her blood work was surprisingly A-okay and her general body response, marvelous. They assured us mum would be discharged in few days, and this news came as a huge relief.

But the question on everybody's lips was "From the hospital to where?"

Aunty Mma pleaded with mum to come stay with her in her three bedroom apartment. She promised to give us the master bedroom if it'll guarantee mum not going back to my dad. Mum rejected the offer.

Uncle Stan wanted mum to move in with him once she's discharged. He basically threatened to sue dad again if mum dares to go back to him. This time around, he doesn't need mum's testimony cos according to him, he's conjured up a term to fly mum's defiant attitude in. He called it Temporal Insanity or what not. To his defence, he already have heart wrenching pictures of mum from when she was in coma, after her surgeries and even from the last time she was beaten by dad. Uncle Stan made it known to mum that he was willing to dig up any defence whether crooked or not, that will make her argument for her husband appear forced and coerced. In fact, he was fuming with raging anger

Yet again, mum declined his offer, and I was losing it.

Is she planning to go back? Is she considering grandma's silly idea of fighting for a home?

Aunty Tobe was next in line, crying and letting the snots drool down her lips. She pleaded with mum to stay with her, raising her fears of not wanting to be an only daughter. She promised mum she'll be anything she wants to be and that we'll be well taken care of. She promised to ensure we'll never have the need to miss my dad as long as we remain with her.

Mum laughed, and declined. Yet again.

I was to speak. My heart burning with fury and my eyes sore with tears. "What do you want mum?" I asked locking eyes with her. "Do you still want to go back to a man that did this to you? With no remorse whatsoever?" I was crying again.

"Mummy I'm ready to sleep under the bridge, go hungry and lose this rich miserable life if that will guarantee you stay another day with me without being sad and beaten!" My eyes were on her, and she let hers rummage through them. But there was this feeling of strength I could draw from them, it was small but yet powerful that I couldn't hold unto it for long.

"Please your friend and family wants to help you. To help us mum, please let them". Aunty Mma was the first to come to me, rubbing my back soothingly. Mum smiled.

"I know you all are dead with worry but I'm fine, and these kids will be fine too!" Mum vegan but uncle couldn't stand to let her speak.

"That's bullshit Nneka!" He exploded. "Fine you say?" Aunty Mma shook her head.

"Yes!" Mum responded with a tone of finality, leaning back on her bed.

"Mum!" I lashed out. "If you're going back to dad's house then I'm not going there with you! Zara and I!"

"And when did I mention we're going back?" She asked with a bold smile

And everyone was shocked. Mum shook her head letting out a small laughter. "We'll be fine" She repeated closing her eyes.

Finally mum was discharged and I was more than grateful to God and aunty Mma for keeping her safe.

Slowly, we packed up our effects while aunty Mma took them to her car. The atmosphere was tensed for me as I knew not what mum was planning, and what lies ahead of us.

Aunty Mma walked in again, her legs moving swiftly to the metal cupboard standing beside mum's hospital bed. She lifted the flask off it and placed it carefully inside the blue plastic bucket which mum used to bath. She picked up the red flowered wrapper she had brought for mum's use here and folded it neatly before putting it into the bucket. She scanned the room for other items that could fit into the bucket, and made do with the white ceramic plate, a tea cup, a spoon, bathroom slippers, and the large cream towel she had bought also for mum. Due to excess load, the towel served literally as a cover for the other items anyways but she didn't mind as she walked out again, into the passage and towards the car.

"What's your plan mum, where are we going?" I asked as soon as her friend was out if sight.

Mum's family apart from grandma had insisted on dragging and bundling mum off to Uncle Stan's baas once she's discharged. They'd insisted they wouldn't watch her die whether she loves it or not. This decision was agreed unanimously after mum refused to see reasons as to why she needs to move in with either her siblings or friend. No matter how strong mum was, this decision worried her which I believed forced her to reach an agreement with them.

She agreed to move in with aunty Mma if only her siblings would leave once her bill is cleared. Uncle Stan refused vehemently. Mum insisted her reason was because she didn't want them around when she's leaving as that will make her more emotional. They still were skeptical about this not until aunty Mma convinced them to trust mum and let her be. Uncle Stan and aunt Tobe agreed and left with grandma once the bill was settled. Before their departure, mum still reassured them of her zeal to keep her own side of the bargain.

But from what I could deduce from mum's countenance, we aren't moving in with aunty Mma.

"I don't have a plan yet" She replied smiling. I was confused.

"Then where are we heading to?" I asked, wide eyed.

"I. ..."

And aunt Mma walked in. She glanced around hurriedly with a look of satisfaction sweeping over her face. "I guess we're all set to leave" She announced happily, slowly walking over to the bed were Zara laid, half asleep.

"Who's ready to go home?" She asked smiling. Zara stirs but I was expressionless, my eyes unconsciously darting over where mum was leaning now, close to the window.

"Is there any problem Ada? You don't look happy" She noted fixing her gaze on me. I fixed mine on mum.

"We aren't moving in with you Mma, I'm sorry" Mum said, gently and almost inaudibly. Aunty Mma didn't seem surprised, instead she smiled and shook her head. It was mum's turn to be surprised, she was obviously expecting an outburst.

"Why if I may ask?" Aunty asked, adjusting on the bed while rubbing Zara's hair.

Mum walked slowly towards her, slumping into the wide plastic chair by the bed reserved for visitors. I watched as her throat moved up and down as she swallowed hard spits.

"I know you all meant well but I need to do this myself. If I'm leaving Emy, I want to do it cos I see it's the best for me, for the kids. I don't want to have that little doubt within me that I left my marriage cos I was offered a better haven. I want to leave for me" Mum spoke with an immense passion that I haven't seen in her for long. Her words were strong and precise but at the same time sounded foolish.

"I don't understand Nekky. Like, I don't get what you're saying!" Aunty Mma's tone was rising. "Are you going back..... "

"No!"

"Then what? You promised your family that you'll stay with me while you find your feet.... "

"That's exactly the problem Mma. I don't want to feed off you. Nor do I want to feed off anybody!" Mum glared at her. "If I'm going to do this, you all will have to let me do this my way.... "

"And what way is that if I may ask?"

"I'm going to start afresh. No help. From the scratch"

"What? When you have people willing to help.... "

"I know I need help but I don't want to accept it.... "

"Why? No, tell me why?" Aunty Mma was getting bitter. "You think you'll become a burden to me Nekky?"

"Not that entirely even though it's a part" Mum was truthful. "See Mma you might not understand" Mum paused, her head bowing to glance at the floor. "I was the one who stuffed my certificate into my box and took up the responsibility of being a virtuous wife. I was the one who threw away every opportunity given to me just to build a home with my husband. I was the one who put up with every insult and pain by his family just so my husband can be happy. I was the one who put my kids in emotional danger so my husband can be happy. I was the one who put up with his cheating habits even after he brought his girlfriend home, to our matrimonial home Mma. I was the one who nearly lost her life twice, just so my husband can be happy....

"No. No you're getting it all wrong" Aunty Mma coerced, her voice low and soothing. "You did it all for the man you love. He was a fool to overlook all your sacrifice and hurt you this way.... "

Mum shook her head. "He didn't force me Mma. I willingly let him take advantage of my love." Mum looked up at her friend, who was now in tears. I was in tears too and mum couldn't hold back hers now. The only subtle noise in the room was the almost silent snore from Zara.

"I could have said no. I could have walked away. I could have done something but I was afraid of losing my home, my husband, my marriage. I would have lost my life Mma, and sadly I'm still losing the home I sacrificed all to protect now." Aunty Mma nodded.

"So if in going to do this, I'll have to start from the scratch" Mum added.

"But you have no money, nowhere to go" Aunty argued.

"I have a little money in my account" Mum confessed. Aunty was wide eyed. I was surprised too.

"Since when? When did you start operating an account Nekky?"

"Since the last incident. And it isn't the type of account you're thinking" Mum laughed.

"How so?"

"It's an old Milo container. It serves as my piggy" Mum was laughing now. Aunty laughed real hard.

"So like much are we talking about and how did you even get money to save there?"

"Oh from the ones he gave me for housekeeping. I normally use all on foodstuffs and the kids but after that incident I began saving a part in event of emergency. But this wasn't the kind of emergency I'd envisioned" Mum said smiling.

"Emergency is emergency!" Aunty laughed. "And how much.... "

"Can't say but I'm certain it'll be enough to start the kids and I up"

"So how do we get hold of this container and where is it?"

"In the kitchen. I actually kept it together with the other used containers so it doesn't appear odd. It's just in the upper cabinet." She paused. "My only problem is how we're going to get it"

"We're going in there to retrieve it. By the way these kids needs some clothes too since you won't let me help"

"Won't it be risky? Won't it end up in another fight?" Mum was perturbed.

"I know just the the thing to do" Aunty said pulling out her phone. While scrolling through it, she gestured at mum. "I guess Stanley knows you too well"

"Why do you say that?" Mum asked.

"Oh after the fake promise you made...

Mum was laughing

"....he called me aside and told me you wouldn't agree to move in with me"

"He did?" Her laughter was growing now.   Aunty nodded.

"I argued it but he swore you would." Aunty glanced up at mum, her fingers still clenched round the phone. "He said he could still remember when you two were growing up, that you were so opinionated and proud. He recalled most times when both of you would travel down home coincidentally for food stuffs and money." She was scrolling through her phone again, her eyeballs showing the pictures and colours from the phone screen. "He said you'd pretend to be fine and would rather hide your foodstuffs in his bag so he could take it to school, while you go back empty handed" Mum's eyes were dimmer now, as though she could visualize all that aunty was saying.

"The first time I did that, he found out while we were still at home and refused taking both our shares Mma. The foodstuffs in question were just about ten cups of garri each and I guess some six or seven cups of rice" Mum said shaking her head. "I kept wondering how we were supposed to survive with those for a whole month you know, so I hid mine in his bag so he could take both home. I knew I had Tekilah at school and was certain that with her I wouldn't go extremely hungry" Mum laughed.

Aunty nodded. "Good old times huh?"  She paused. "Stan mentioned it. He said you refused taking the package to school and only requested for your transportation fare...."

"That was the last food stuff at home and my mum had to share it between Stan and I. I kept wondering how she'd cope with Tobe, for another three weeks or so before her meagre salary comes?" Mum was evidently sad now. "So I had to feign forgetfulness and leave it behind when travelling so mum and Tobe could have a meal" She said smiling.

"But you're no more leaving in the past now Nneka... " Aunty said, breaking up the deafening silence that had overtaken the room.

Mum forced a smile. "I know, but it's still the same."

"You're very stubborn"

"And that's why you adore me"

"Your brother knows you so well really. Can't believe that after all these years, I can't still predict your next move?"

"Like they said, blood is thicker than water" mum croaked a laughter.

"So I'm now water eh?" Aunty feigned being vexed, her brow arching to portray her fake anger.

"Oh please Mma. You know some friends are better than family right? You're that kind of friend" Mum said and I could see aunty smile.

"But... Can't we make a compromise?" Aunty asked, her lips twitching in smiles.

"Like?" Mum asked, motioning at me to move Zara to the middle of the bed lest she falls. I stood up to do just that.

"I mean the money you saved up at home, can't I replace it? It'll still serve the same purpose you know?"

"No!" Mum was uptight. "Your money is yours, mine is mine"

Aunty tilted her body a bit to pick up her handbag which lay just above Zara's sleepy head. She carefully unzipped it and fumbled around for some nanoseconds before pulling out a brown envelope. She kept the bag and turned to face mum.

"Mma.... "

"No it's not like that." She smiled at mum. "This isn't from me. Stan gave it to me in case what he predicted happens. He means well Nneka, he said it can start you off at something."

" The answer is still no. I thought you were planning an idea on how we could retrieve my hard earned money?" Mum asked.

"Don't blame a lady for trying to stop your madness honey"

"But it isn't working" Mum replied, tight faced.

Aunty exhales. "And what if it's taken? I mean the money. What if it's no more there?"

Mum was silent.

"Eh? Cos we must reach an agreement before I pull any stunt. I can't let you drag these girls through pain while proving what I can't explain" She paused. "What happens?"

"Then I'll accept an equivalent. But I'll decide on that by trying to calculate how much I might have saved. Deal?"

"Deal"

"Now can you pull that stunt?" Mum asked again. Aunty laughed, finally dialing the number she'd been searching since.

"Hello?"

"Stan. Fine you won" She was smiling. I could hear some very not clear words been spoken by who I presumed was mum's brother from the other end. Mum's wide eyes confirmed my suspicion.

"I guess you know her too well" Aunty glanced at mum. "She refused too but insists she needs to get her savings from his house!"

I could hear an uproar. Mum was smiling and shaking her head.

"Calm down. You'll have to come with us, I'll arrange for reenforcement. I promise, if he tries anything stupid, he wouldn't know what hit him. Big time" Aunty said with a reassuring tone. I glanced at mum, she was blank faced. I guess she still cares for dad.

Zara stirs again and I watched as her eyes pop open. "Ada? Why did you bite my leg?" And she began to cry. For crying out loud I was inches away from her! Can she really stop dreaming about me?

"Thanks. Tomorrow it is, I'll find a hotel for them" And Aunty ended the call. "You're one hell of a ride Nneka!" She said with a smirk, slipping the phone into her bag again.

"You already have Stan's number?"

Aunty smiled. "Let's go!"
*****

Good morning all

Wanted to publish this chapter earlier as I would be really busy.

So tell me, do you want to knock or punch Nneka? 😂

And Mma? Isn't she a sweetheart? (God should please mold and send someone like her my way. I could really use that about right now 🙏)

I love Nneka's family, oh apart from her mum of course. The support is overwhelming even to me the author. This is the kind of support system every family should give their members who are facing one kind of abuse of the other. Emotional, financial and moral support. This positive attitude if shown and splashed everywhere can help curb abuse.

Till Wednesday people

You know the drill
Vote
Comment
Recommend
And share

Oh This is my second daughter's birthday month. So I have a question for you all. All correct answers gets a dedication.

Predict her day and year correctly
And get a chapter dedicated to you 😂 😂 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 141 35
The banging starts again but this time a lot louder. I can hear the girls screaming up stairs. I pick up my phone and dial 911. "Hello this is 911 wh...
42.2K 1.4K 65
"I knew it.. I knew you were alive!", he breathes wryly. "I missed y..ou..", he breathed and stretches his arms to wrap around her but she steps back...
2.3K 676 25
*NOT EDITED.* *•••••*I've heard a lot about Abroad. The US specifically... Can you imagine my surprise when my mom told my sister and I one evening...
1.3K 52 18
𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂-𝑵𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒂 (6) "She's dead." "Dead? What does that mean?" The young girl asked with morbid curiosity. "It means, she isn't here...