Daughter of a King

By ThorinsChild110

Young Arulla Durin is snatched away from her home in Erebor when she was only 20 years old(Which is like 9 or... More

Author's Note
Character Description
Chapter 1: A Clear Summer Day
Chapter 2: The Years a Princess
Chapter 3: The Red Sky
Chapter 4: The Hidden Bush
Chapter 5: The News He Heard.
Chapter 6: Rivendell
Chapter 7: My Life Now
Chapter 8: A Quest to Reclaim a Broken Home?
Chapter 9: Bree
Chapter 10: The Hobbit Hole
Chapter 11: An Unexpected Party
Chapter 12: The Awkward Reunion
Chapter 13: The Adventure Begins
Chapter 14: Resting on a Cliff
Chapter 15: Reaching for Stars
Chapter 16: Missing Ponies???
Chapter 17: Roast Mutton
Chapter 18: Love Sorrow then Happiness
Chapter 19: Recalling the Past
Chapter 20: The Hidden Pass
Chapter 21: A Short Rest
Chapter 22: Moon Runes and Lullabies
Chapter 23: Misty Mountians
Chapter 24: GoblinTown
Chapter 25: Escaping Goblintown
Chapter 26: Out of the Frying Pan...
Chapter 28: The Carrock
Chapter 29: Nightmares
Chapter 30: Beorn
Chapter 31: Edge of Mirkwood
Chapter 32: The Dark Forest
Chapter 33: Visions of Old and Darkness to Spare
Chapter 34: Elves of the Forest
Chapter 35: The Elven King
Chapter 36: The Great Escape
Chapter 37: Barrels
Chapter 38: The Bargeman
Chapter 39: The Orc that Remains
Chapter 40: Almost Home
Chapter 41: Laketown

Chapter 27: ...And Into the Fire

2.3K 80 50
By ThorinsChild110

(Thorin's POV)

I feel my heart sink as to realize that we are still in danger. My sword has been tightly clutched in my fist but Arulla is no where near me. I look around quickly and find her being dragged by Fílí and her bow is clamped in her hand with arrow drawn and face emotionless. I turn my head back around and continue to run away. I keep running and running until I hear Fílí's voice and I stop in my tracks.

"Uncle!" Fílí screamed.

I turn around and I see Arulla with her eyes closed and bow not as tightly clutched. I run to Fílí's side and sigh,

"She's alive. Give her to me!"

Fílí obeys and I slide Arulla into the crook of my one arm and her legs over my other. I run to get as far away as possible, but then we come to a cliff. There is no way out.

"Up into the trees! All of you climb! Bilbo climb!" Gandalf bellowed

I quickly pass Arulla into Dwalin's arms and Dwalin quickly climbs the tree with Arulla in his arms. I grip my sword tighter and slash away a nearby warg. I look up in horror and shout to my company,

"They're coming!"

"Thorin!" Dwalin shouted to me.

I jolt my head upwards and my gaze is met by similar fierce blue eyes. I then jump onto the nearest branch and climb my way up to Dwalin. When I reach the branch, I almost fall off by the large embrace that I was given. She was crying and I held her tighter.

"Stay with Dwalin!" I whisper in her ear. She nods and grips Dwalin's shoulders and I move up higher until I was right under Balin. My back was turned when I heard silent gasps all around me. When I turn around, my eyes were not ready for what I found in front of me. My voice was hoarse and my breathing jagged but in one whisper I was able to say,

"Azog?!"

The Pale Orc grimmaced and leaned forward and sniffed the cool night air.

"Nuzdigid? Nuzdi gast? (Do you smell it? The scent of fear?)"

I hear Arulla sneer, and growl angrily, but my face was still locked onto the creature in front of me.

"Ganzilig-i unarug obod nauzdanish, Torin undag Train-ob. (I remember your father reeked of it, Thorin son of Thrain)"

My face went completely pale at the realization of what Azog had just said to me, "It cannot be." I exhaled, my voice still in shock.

Arulla growled fiercly and she screamed at Azog,

"Urkhas!! Urmel!!! Dharg!!!!(Demon!! Worm!!! Troll!!)"

Azog was taken aback and searched for the voice who called him such things. When his eyes met Arulla's he grinned with extreme malice, when he spoke again, he spoke in Westron,

"Well well well. If it isn't my favorite Arenell, favored daughter of Elrond... And the Lady of Imladris... Tell me, how's your backside? How does your mother fare?Are your wounds healed from our last encounter? Haven't you learned your lesson on not to insult me? Maybe you need a reminder."

Arulla growled even more and my eyes have grown even wider at the realization that not only had the monster captured and tortured my father, but also my daughter. I was brimming with rage and Arulla shouted again.

"Ish kakhfê ai-'d dûr-rugnu!(I spit on your grave!!)"

Azog sneered and growled, he turned his head towards his men and began to speak in his tongue,

"Kods Toragid biriz.(Those are mine)" And he pointed his mace to me and to Arulla, "Worori- da!(Kill the others)"

In an instant our trees creaked and swayed at the weight of being pushed and ripped by the wargs' sharp and glowering teeth.

(Arulla's POV)

I was scared... The only enemy that I fear worse than the wrath and fire of Smaug was the Defiler. He had done me great damage, emotionally and even more physically.

But I had no time to think of myself, my only objective was to make sure Thorin came out alive. Even if that meant the worst.

I wrap tightly to the branch and hold on tightly as it begins to sway from the weight and pressure. The tree begins to fall and I let go of the branch slightly as I jump to the next branch, only to fall backwards from loss of balance.

"Arulla!" Kílí screams.

I see Thorin turn his head only to see me falling off the branch. He reaches out to catch me, and I stretch my arm as far as I could, but I could not grab him.

I close my eyes, almost yearning for the brief impact of the cool ground, but it never comes.

I open my eyes and I see that I have been caught. A small and delicate hand is clasped around my arm. I smile lightly as the man draws me to my feet. We are only a mere 5 branches from the ground, but the wargs cannot reach us. I look at the man and clasp my hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you Bilbo."

Bilbo nods and we inch our way back up the tree as it begins to lean and crash into the next. This time, I kept my balance, and clung to the branch as the tree we were currently on was beginning to tip.

"Sho gad adol! (Drink their blood!)" Azog sneered.

I grimaced, but was too focused on jumping the branch to whip my head around to growl back.

The final tree we jumped onto was strong enough that it didn't fall when we all jumped. I used this time to quickly climb up to reach Thorin.

Thorin's face was grim and angry. I could understand, I mean, he just found out that I had been captured by Azog and tourtured mercilessly.

"Are you alright?" Thorin whispered as I latched onto his cloak. I nodded and tried to smile reassuringly, "Fit as a fiddle Adad."

Thorin was not pleased by my sudden jesting and was about to ask me what happened all those years ago. But I pressed my fingers to his lips,

"A conversation to be held at another time."

Thorin growled and turned his head around, "Very well."

I smiled quite triumphantly and gazed out at the group in front of us... 'Unless by some miracle... We are doomed.' I thought to myself.

I look up and dart my head to the side to miss my hair catching flames off a thrown and flaming pinecone.

My eyes trail downwards to see the pinecone meet it's mark on the ground, sending a small wall of flames that cover us slightly.

The wargs begin to back away and Azog growls.

I look up again and see Gandalf light another pinecone and then another. Now with two pinecones in hand he looks down and shouts,

"Fílí!"

Fílí looks up and barely catches the pinecone coming down. Soon we are all lighting pinecones and hurtling them at the wargs and orcs. Now our tree is protected quite well by the roaring orange flames.

When we can see the wargs slowly retreating everyone cheered in triumph. I couldn't help but look at Thorin in happiness. but that happiness was short lived when our tree began to creak and sway. Finally toppling over and draping us above the ground.

I was latched firmly onto a strong branch, my feet barely dangling, but my weight being heavy and hard to hold up.

I look behind me and see Ori lose his grip. "Ori!" I screamed. But I was relieved to see Ori latch onto Dori's leg. That was before I realized that the weight would be too much on Dori.

"Mr. Gandalf?" Dori whimpered. Gandalf turned his attention to Dori and Ori hanging barely by a thread. Dori couldn't take it anymore, he slipped in his grip and fell.

"No!"

Gandalf reacted quickly and swung his staff so Dori could grab it quickly. No sooner when Gandalf swung that Dori quickly latched on, Ori still hanging by his older brothers leg.

"Hold on Ori!" Dori yelled to his brother.

I look up at Thorin who landed on the trunk of the tree and looking down it the gorge in fear.

As I gaze at his eyes I could see anger building up in them. 'No. Don't you dare!' I thought to myself. Thorin's gaze turned to Azog and Thorin glowered and growled in anger.

I yanked on his hair to make him look at me. he cried in pain and turned towards me,

"Don't."

That was the only word I had spoken, but Thorin didn't respond. He just turned back around and began to stand up and walk, challenging the pale orc.

"Thorin, stop!" I screamed, but if he had heard me, he ignored me.

Thorin continued to walk down the long trek. Sword raised high above his head, and shield raised in front of his face, yelling challengingly.

I was just staring, not moving, not speaking, not even screaming. I just stared in complete horror as I saw Azog's warg trample Thorin with its forepaw. And as he tried to get up, Azog's mace swung and Thorin landed on his back again.

"Noo!" I faintly hear Balin yell.

I shrieked when I saw what happened next. The white warg clamped down over Thorin's midsection making him cry out in pure agony. the warg clamped harder, and I shrieked louder.

"Thorin!! Nooo!" Dwalin screamed as he tried to find his footing and get off the tree to go and help his fallen friend. But before Dwalin was able to move again his branch snapped and Dwalin dropped, still hanging onto the tree with a firm grip.

I could not see... My sight was blinded from the ongoing tears that streamed freely from my eyes. I didn't even notice that Bilbo had climbed up onto the tree trunk, about ready to go charging in and defend my father.

"Bilbo!" I screamed.

Bilbo turned and gave me a sympathetic smile. Bilbo reached out his hand and pulled me up beside him. I unsheathed my sword and Bilbo did the same.

I looked up and watched my father who was still clamped in the warg's jaw. I saw Thorin swing his sword upwards and pound the pommel of his sword into the warg's snout. The warg cried out in pain and threw Thorin in the air like he was a piece of garbage.

Thorin landed with a hard 'thud' and tears began to spring up from my eyes again. I began to walk towards them but bilbo threw his arm across my chest.

"Wait."

I obeyed and turned my head back to the coward in his snow colored warg.

Azog sighed contently and turned his head to his second-in-command,

"Biriz torag khobdudol(Bring me the dwarf's head.)"

That was it.

I began running now. No one was going to take my father away from me now. No, and whoever tried, will find themselves on the other end of my blade.

I ran faster but stopped short when something ran past me. "Bilbo?"

Bilbo had run past me and had reached the Orc about to decapitate Thorin just in the nick of time. I sighed in relief and I saw Thorin moved to look at his rescuer and his eyes grew in shock when he saw the hobbit's matted honey brown curls.

I kept running towards Thorin and when I reached him, his eyes were closed. I shook him.

"Adad?" I whispered.

His eyes fluttered open for only a moment after they focused and found my face. Then they closed again. I began to panic, 'He couldn't be dead. No! Not while I still breathe'

I looked up and saw Bilbo, hovering slightly over me and Thorin. I stood up and joined my place by Bilbo's side.

Azog sneered, "Arenell, you no better than to cross between me and my prey!"

"I would rather die than let you touch him again!" I growled.

Azog chuckled, "Kill them!"

I readied my stance. Making sure my father was well protected. Then I heard many battle cries and I look to my side and see the dwarves charging at the Orcs. I smile and join the charge. Bilbo joined only a few moments after.

I charged at the Pale Orc, but his hand grabbed my arm and stopped my attack. He sneered at me and he raised his handicapped arm to my stomach and he slashed the metal across my body. I screeched in pain and Fílí and Kílí heard it.

"Arulla!" They screamed in unison.

Azog was taken aback, "Arulla?" Then he looked at me with the utmost malice, "The daughter of an exiled king."

I growled and tried to claw his hand from my arm. I failed. Azog raised me by my arm and yanked hard in the air. I heard an intense 'pop' and I screamed in pain again.

My vision was beginning to become clouded. I clutched my abdomen with my other arm and braced myself for the end.

Just them I heard an unusual battle cry and a pain of hairy feet running towards me.

Bilbo ran into the white warg, making Azog lose his grip on my arm. I tumbled to the ground, and was lifted my strong arms. I looked up barely to see Dwalin carrying me,

"Stay with us lass."

Those were the only words he spoke to me as we continued to fight... Well, Dwalin at least.

I saw Bilbo being cornered by Azog and my heart went out to him. Azog was just about to pounce on him when a familiar screech filled the air.

I hear a piercing scream and I look to the tree and I see Dori and Ori lose their grip and fall into the chasm. "No!"

But I see an eagle lift Dori and Ori up high into the air. I sigh with relief and look to the sky, which at the moment was black and no other screeches of eagles were heard. But they'll come.

"Melendor." I whispered.

Melendor was Gwahir's Lieutenant. And just as I predicted, Melendor and his flock of eagles came charging in. Throwing Orcs and wargs off the edge of the cliff. Some even batted flames at the Orcs making them retreat.

Soon after most of the Orcs and wargs were dealt with, the eagles began to pick up dwarves and have them ride on their backs.

My eyes only open slightly to see Melendor himself ever so gently wrap Thorin's body in his talons, and lift him off the ground. Thorin's arm flew breezily through the air and his oakenshield slipped from his grasp.

Dwalin clutched me tighter as I looked to the sky in horror and fear. "He'll be alright lass."

I whimpered and cried softly in his shirt. Just then another eagle landed softly beside me and Dwalin. Dwalin never let me go as he mounted the eagle. he only held me tighter as the eagle took off and flew into the sky.

Behind me I could hear Azog's agony filled cries as we all took off. Gandalf being the last one to leap off the tree and land on an eagle.

My abdomen was burning in pain and I clutched it tighter. Dwalin tried to soothe me, but when he noticed my crimson covered hands he winced.

"Let me look at it."

I hesitated a bit but complied and slowly lifted my arms to reveal my injuries. But the way Dwalin's eyes went from wide to pure worry, my heart clenched.

"Is it bad?"

Dwalin refused to answer, which told me exactly what I expected. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. We just need to worry about Thorin."

"But-"

"No!" I growled and turned my head towards him, "I'll be fine Dwalin I swear."

Dwalin reluctantly nodded and we continued to fly as the sun began to rise.

I searched the eagles until I could find Melendor. I looked down into his talons where Thorin lay, unmoving and unresponsive.

"Thorin!" Fílí yelled.

I turned my head and my cousins were on the eagle next to me. I felt my stomach drop as both brothers continued to look from me to Thorin and back to me.

"Arulla are you alright?" Kílí asked me, worry filled his eyes.

I smiled back, trying to hide my pain as best I could.

"Fit as a fiddle cousin."

But in truth, I knew that my face was getting pale and my eyes were getting heavy. But, for the sake of the company I put on a stone face and continued to act like nothing had happened.

When the eagles began to slow I looked in front of us and saw a large outcropping of rock, and on the face of this rock looked almost like a.. bear?

Melendor lands first, then Dwalin and mine's eagle. I only had enough every to drop at Thorin's side.

"Thorin!" Gandalf yelled. "Thorin."

I whimpered and cupped his cheek and stroked it lightly. Gandalf hovered his hand over Thorin's face and I withdrew my hand and waited anxiously.

When Gandalf lowered his hand, Thorin's eyes fluttered open. I smiled in releif, but he did not see me.

"Arulla? The halfling?" Thorin whispered.

Gandalf smiled, "It's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe."

"Arulla?" Thorin whispered again.

"I'm here Father." I say to him and he turns his head and smiles, "I'm here."

Thorin cups my cheek and wipes away a stray tear that fell from my face. I smiled,

"Bilbo saved you. You should thank him." I whispered.

Thorin dropped his hand from my face and slowly began to stand up. But when we tried to help, he shoved away.

"You!" Thorin began, "What were you doing?"

I smirked, he wasn't angry at all. So I pulled Dwalin down quickly and whispered in his ear,

"Dwalin, can you help me get up?" I clutched my abdomen tighter, and Dwalin nodded.

"You nearly got yourself killed!" Thorin continued. "Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild? And that you had no place amongst us?"

Dwalin lifted me up slowly and I regained enough balance to stand on my own, and I witnessed something I have never seen before.

Thorin sighed, "I have never been so wrong in all my life!" And he ran to embrace Bilbo in a fierce hug. I smiled up at my father and I could see that he chuckled.

Thorin drew away and looked deep into the hobbit's eyes, "And I'm sorry I doubted you."

Now it was Bilbo's turn to chuckle, "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar"

Everyone chuckled, even me.. But I regretted it soon after. I crouched over in pain and both Fílí and Kílí ran to me.

"Is that what I think it is?" I faintly hear. I look up and all air is now gone from my lungs.

Gandalf nods as we all move up the slope. I had a little bit of help from Fílí and Kílí.

"Erebor. The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle Earth." Gandalf announces

"Our Home." Thorin says proudly.

"Home." I whisper, and my thoughts dwell on my previous thoughts on whether or not return to Rivendell...

"A raven!" My thoughts are interrupted and I look to the skies, "The birds are returning to the mountain!" Oin proclaims. I smile.

"That my dear Oin is a thrush." Gandalf says.

"But we'll take it as a sign." Thorin smiles, his eyes still focused on the mountain, then he turns to Bilbo and gives him a warm smile, "A good omen."

My breathing becomes very shallow as I could barely hear Bilbo's words, "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us."

Black spots are now surrounding my vision and I lose my grip on Fílí and Kílí's hands and I collapse onto the ground.

"UNCLE!!!!!" The brothers screech

________________________________

Ok first off I just want to apologize for my late tendencies... I'm really REALLY sorry... Secondly, I really hope you guys liked this super LONG chapter. Hopefully that will make up for my stalling... Yay!! finally have Unexpected Journey finished... Now onto DOS!!! Um, again I just want to apologize for me dragging my feet... I was actually half tempted to delete the story and start over... But I realized how many of my friends would yell my head off if I did so.... So here's this chapter and I swear to the Valar that the next chapter will NOT take as long as this one did!!!!! That I can surely promise you!!!!

Um.. Please comment, rate, vote... It really is a big help to me on whether or not I should keep updating.

Hannon le

Namarië

-TC110

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.6K 1K 57
(Title Doesn't relate to the Arkenstone!) A young girl, whose race is barely known to Middle Earth is put in danger when she, her mother, and many o...
172K 5.4K 18
●Completed● Thorin Oakenshield, the surviving heir to the Lonely Mountain, has resigned himself to a life of solitude, with his sister, nephews and...
632 40 18
Thraina, daughter of Thorin, son of Thrain, is the only female born in her great family line. She is the next in line to the throne of Durin - the on...
7.1K 225 28
Urzoth, daughter of Azog the Defiler has been trained all her life to do one thing: befriend the dwarves. Ever since her father lost his arm in the b...