Insidious | Remus Lupin

By hardlyvirgo

Ophiuchus Black scoffed, looking at him with the same amount of distaste she held when Fernley challenged her... More

part i
chapter two | fail to plan, plan to fail.
chapter three | (not so) sweet little unforgettable thing
chapter four | seeing is believing
chapter five | no place like home
chapter six | resistance to fear
chapter seven | only human (sort of)
chapter eight | a change of heart

chapter one | everything happens for a reason.

251 12 0
By hardlyvirgo

CHAPTER ONE; EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON
-
"Running in the shadows,
Damn your love,
Damn your lies"
-
The Chain Fleetwood Mac
-
At one point in time, there was a thirteenth zodiac sign. Those born from late November to early December had the honour of falling under its reign. Under the power of the since abandoned sign; they were impulsive, clever, flamboyant, ambitious. Ophiuchans had (have) a natural affinity with snakes. They were bound to them on all aspects. Physically, mentally, spiritually. However, Master Ophiuchus, the original guardian, betrayed the other signs in his own selfish quest for immortality. Subsequently, he suffered. He was exiled while his world fell into darkness and decay, bringing all he could down with him.

However tacky it was, she was glad to have been named after her star sign. Today's Zodiac would disagree, she would fall under the house of Sagittarius. Ophiuchus knew where she truely lied. She lay in the thirteenth house. Was it a coincidence she was born into one the UK's Scared Twenty-Eight. A coincidence she was sorted into the house of Salazar Slytherin (much like everyone in her family, except for him.) who some would say was truely the master of the snakes. Simply, a coincidence she was a parslemouth. No. It was fate, destiny, if you will. She knew was destined for greatness and she would do anything to grasp onto it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Ophiuchus wasn't a quitter, she was determined and she stuck to her gut like a life line. If she wanted something, she bloody well got it. She was smart, resourceful. A true Slytherin. It didn't matter who she used to get her way nor did she care. Some would say she was selfish; she would say that there's nothing wrong with being selfish. It's a cruel world and there's no time to waste being a pushover, she would say.

Her head would be held high as she walked down the hallways. She owned this damn castle and no one could question it. If they did, there'd be hell to pay. She sure didn't mind dishing it out.

Dubbed 'The Darling of Slytherin', her house loved her. If a fellow family member needed help, she would be the first at their side. No matter what year they were or if she even knew their name. Although she was loyal to her house, there were only three people she would never betray. Her best friends and her brother, the one she didn't despise that is. Fernley, Alverdine and Regulus were the only people she trusted and they trusted her. They knew she wasn't afraid to break someone's trust but Ophiuchus would tell whoever that it was their fault for getting too close. The three were willing to take the risk.

Ophiuchus was not tall, was not muscular, was hardly even fit in any way. She just had this look. This look in her eye that said: try me and I'll rip your face off. The whole school knew she really would, all it took was for her to narrow her eyes and a path would clear. No one dared cross her. Except them.

Her wretched brother and his woeful friends. They would purposely stand in the middle of the hallway, blocking her path. She would raise an eyebrow, Sirius and James (who were always at the front of the group) would shrug and suggest she go around. Sirius knew her weak points and as much as a good sense of determination is admirable, too much can be inopportune. Of course, Ophiuchus' ego would not be able to handle her following instructions from her twin. She would threaten to jinx them, they would do the same back. A back and forth would occur until she would push straight through the middle of them and keep walking without looking back.

However, there was one of them she noted, that never said a word and stood a good distance behind them. His nose either in a book, ignoring the scene, or watching on but not partaking. Perhaps, it was because he was too lanky and frail to have the guts to stand up for himself. Perhaps, it was the fact he didn't want any part in their antics because he was mature. Either way, Ophiuchus found it useful but also annoying. She enjoyed a good fight but she also enjoyed winning. She couldn't decide if Remus Lupin sitting out was helpful or boring.

On this particular day, it was boring.

"So is your nerd friend going to actually do something this time? I'm bored of just you two, it's too easy."

The scrawny boy looked up from his book for a split second before he continued reading. "No, you're just rather predictable."

"Oh, so he's not a mute?! What a surprise." She drawled out and glared at the boy.

"Oh," he said, not even bothering to look up this time. "So you're still a bitch? What a surprise." James and Sirius sniggered at the comment. It wasn't often Remus had a stab at this type of thing, but they thought it was brilliant when he did.

Ophiuchus raised an eyebrow, an amused smirk gracing her features. "Lupin, you remind me of a chihuahua. Small, skinny, shaking in its skin all the time. Their bark is worse than their bite just because it's so fucking annoying. Oh, and they have massive foreheads."

Before anyone could get another word in, she shoved past the group of Gryffindors, Fernley and Alverdine in tow.

"Dude, you're sister needs a kick up the ass." James muttered, watching the group of female Slytherin's stalk off.

"Shut up, Prongs. I'm well aware of what she needs," Sirius said under his breath, smirking and winking at one of his sister's friends who'd turned back to look at him. She bit her lip, twirling a piece of raven hair around her finger. "And if anyone's the dog around here, it's me"

"Stop flirting with my brother, Fernley."
-

Back in the Gryffindor common room, the group of Marauders sat around they map they'd made. There was no particular reason to be looking at it, other than the fact they were bored and their ego needed stroking. The map was cool; some seriously skilled magic was involved and they knew it.

"Your sister's in a broom closet with Cassian. Again." Peter said, pointing to a spot on the map that did, in fact, show their footprints on top of one another, squeezed into a small spot on the fifth floor. Sirius scowled and closed the map

"She's ruining everything, even our map. Can we take the charm off her? I don't care for her whereabouts. She can choke."

"That's not very nice." Remus spoke, glancing up at all his friends. When he noticed all the dirty looks he was getting he furrowed his brows. "What? She's still a person I bet you she cries like, every day."

(Ophiuchus doesn't cry.)

"Oh yeah," Sirius scoffed and ran a hand through his long hair. "And pigs can fly."

"I mean if you put a levitating charm on it-"

"Shut up, Moony. No one puts levitating charms on pigs."

"My dads done it."

"Why?!"

"Mum said she'd only go on a date with him when pigs fly."

"Isn't your mum a muggle?"

"Yeah, there was a lot of questions to be answered after."

"Well whatever," Sirius cried in exasperation. Shaking his head at the irrelevant subject they'd just wasted their breath on. "My sister doesn't cry. She's a cold-hearted snake. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes out covered in scales sometime soon."

"Maybe if you were nice to her she'd warm up a bit," Remus suggested, breaking off a block of chocolate and waving it in his friends face. "Give her chocolate or something everyone likes chocolate."

"Why would I- I'm not giving her chocolate."

Remus shrugged, putting the piece in his mouth before lifting his book back up. The conversation blew away with the gentle breeze coming through the open window across the room. He couldn't help but wish that his best friend and his twin could just make amends. It wasn't that hard. If they could just let go of the past and their family history they would be fine. Both were stubborn and self-righteous, it was never going to happen. At least, not anytime soon.

Remus was smart. He knew it was somewhat foolish to try and fix their relationship. Band-aids don't fix bullet holes. However, Remus was stubborn too, in his own special way. He was a Gryffindor. Daring, courageous, chivalrous. He was also a Pisces. Adaptable, compassionate, intuitive.

At least a hundred times a day, Sirius would complain about his twin. He'd endured over five years of it and enough was enough. He was doing this not only for his own selfish need to stop hearing Sirius complaining. He was also doing this so he could see his best friend happier. Sirius would go to the ends of the earth and back for him, he already had. Remus would do the same for him too. So even if he stumbled, he'd brush himself off and try again.

-
Kendall Jenner as Fernley Goldfinch

Scarlett Leithold as Alverdine Zakarison

Herman Tømmeraas as Cassian Chisholm

Timothee Chalamet as Regulus Black

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 223 54
(CHAPTERS WITH ONLY A '~' AT THE START WITH NO NUMBER ARE BEING REWRITTEN.) Elladora Walburga Black was the twin sister of Sirius Black, elder sister...
3K 136 95
deatheater! remus lupin If after being bitten, Remus Lupin had been taken by the uncaring and relentless Fenrir Greyback in the successful attempt to...
125K 3.8K 45
Γ©πš™πšŠπš—πš˜πšžπš’ (πšπš•πš˜πšžπš›πš’πšœπš‘πšŽπš): 𝚝𝚘 πšπš›πš˜πš  πš˜πš› πšπšŽπšŸπšŽπš•πš˜πš™ πš’πš— 𝚊 πš‘πšŽπšŠπš•πšπš‘πš’ πš˜πš› πšŸπš’πšπš˜πš›πš˜πšžπšœ 𝚠𝚊𝚒, πšŽπšœπš™πšŽπšŒπš’πšŠπš•πš•πš’ 𝚊�...
Whispers By Nope

Fanfiction

7.8K 302 62
Clarissa Black has always lived a normal wizard life, with her twin brother Sirius. She lived eleven years at Grimmauld Place, creating a shell that...