The Long Way Home

By Farley_Moon

After being attacked in the world of the living, Ichigo must try and find the culprit in the Soul Society. U... More

The Long Way Home
Part Two
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part 10
Part 11

Part Three

2.3K 87 14
By Farley_Moon

"There's no sign of a struggle."

Rukia stood in the centre of Orihime's home and surveyed the living room.

"Agreed." Renji scowled. "A craven attack then by a coward."

Both Renji and Rukia were in their gegi form, having paid a visit to Urahara's shop. He had heard what had happened and wasn't pleased about it at all. They had left saying they would keep him informed but they hadn't divulged the secret that Ichigo had made it back to the Soul Society. As far as Urahara was concerned, Ichigo was lying unconscious in a hospital bed, as was
Orihime.

"Do you think she'll survive?"

"Yes! Renji! Don't say such things!"

"Rukia, I don't like it any more than you do. But someone attacked Ichigo to kill him. Why attack Orihime if not to kill her too?"

Rukia turned and Renji took a step back from her. "She will survive this ordeal until we have evidence to the contrary." She glared, "Understood?"
Renji grinned at her. "Fire! We will need that in the days to come." He looked around her nice neat little apartment and sighed. "I don't think there is much to be learnt from here."

She nodded, saddened at her friends predicament. "Agreed," she said again. "We better find somewhere to spend the night. It's too late to go to the hospital and I don't sense any Hollows. We may try and rest while
we have the opportunity."

Renji remembered staying at the shop the first time in a gegi in the World of the Living with a shudder. "Do we have to go back to Urahara's place? Those two kids are a pain in the a-"

"Were would you suggest we stay? We have no currency and we can't stay at the Kurosaki's. They have enough to deal with at this moment."

"What about here?"

"Here?"

"Yeah." Renji looked at the place. "We could stay here. We both know she wouldn't mind."

"I don't know..."

"We would be able to stop anyone from trying to rob Orihime's home by staying here. We'd be doing her a favour." Renji wasn't a stupid man, and he caught the scowl that was about to be aimed at him. "She's going to get better. She's coming home. Just like you said. I really don't think she would mind. Plus, I don't think you would allow me to make a mess of her home" He smiled at Rukia.

Rukia surveyed the apartment. "She will be coming back. Ok. We clean this place up and look after it for her while we're here." Renji heard the sadness in her voice. He took a step towards her, acting before he had a chance to think.

Rukia felt an arm go around her and found herself enveloped in a hug. She relaxed in to it and they stayed like that for longer than was necessary, only gently pushing him away before she could get too comfortable. She looked up in to his eyes and saw so many different emotions, although the primary one was panic. She smiled as she reached up and stroked his cheek. "If I had stayed there much longer, I don't know if I would ever want to leave, Renji." She turned away and began to explore the rest of Orihime's home.

For Renji it took several moments for him to grasp exactly what she had said. But when he did, it was hard to keep the smile off his face.

Ichigo opened his eyes.

"Finally. You are awake."

Blinking, Ichigo yawned and looked down towards the bottom of the bed. The mural on the wall now showed a doorway. Steam drifted out.
Ichigo sat up and slid out of bed. "Hey, did you run me a bath?" Ichigo stood, forgetting he was naked. He saw Byakuya scowl at him.

"My servants ran you a bath. You were asleep. They did not see you. You are my now my Uncle's grandchild Jiro Kuchki. I have let it be known that you will be staying here for a short while and seeing what it would be like to live here."

Ichigo couldn't have sworn to it, but for a second, he thought he saw a smirk flit over Byakuya's features. "I mentioned it briefly in passing to Rangiku, that you are something of a wastrel. That your father has hopes that spending time here, with me, will make a man of you."

"Hey! Why did you tell her that! Everyone will know before the end of the day!" Ichigo definitely saw a smirk this time, and realised he was still naked in front of the head of the Kuchki clan. He swiped a blanket from the bed and covered himself. He knew his cheeks were burning, which only made his embarrassment ten times worse. Stop being so childish, he thought to himself.

"Come this way." Byakuya stepped in to the bathroom, Ichigo pausing in the doorway.

"Hey. This looks alright!"

Byakuya pointed to a small table by the bath. "I am assured that if you put this in your hair while it is dry, leave it for a while, rinse it off, your hair will be black." The Captain then indicated a small bundle on another table. "Clothes. And next to them, a pair of glasses".

"Thanks, Byakuya. This is great."

"You may no longer address me by my first name while you are under this guise. It would not be appropriate for someone of your supposed position to express such familiarity. Lord Kuchiki will suffice."

Ichigo raised an eyebrow. "Are you serious?"

"Very much so. You are not a Soul Reaper, so calling me by my rank is wrong. Any slip-ups in your behaviour can be explained away by your rebellious nature. But do try not to draw too much attention to yourself."

Snorting, Ichigo shuffled past the Captain and forgoing the blanket, climbed into the bath. "I'll try not to. Can't promise you though." Ichigo sighed as the heat from the water started to penetrate through his muscles. His eyes snapped open again. "Any word from Rukia and Renji?

Byakuya nodded no, "Nothing new. They have been to her home and saw nothing untoward."

"Oh."

"We will do what we can for her."

"Yeah. I know."

The silence stretched. Finally. "May I ask you a personal question, Ichigo Kurosaki?"

Ichigo had assumed he'd left so was a little startled to hear him speak. "I guess so."

Byakuya nodded. "Is Orihime Inoue your lover?"

The water splashed as Ichigo sat up, flustered and a little surprised. "What!? No. No!" The look on Byakuya's face was giving him nothing. "Why would you ask me something like that!?"

"I was just... curious. I had always just assumed that was the case."

"Your getting quite chatty there Byakuya." This time Ichigo smirked as he saw the discomfort on the older man's face at the suggestion he could be 'chatty.'

"No. I love her. I do. But it's not like that. I thought maybe there might have been something. But we both just let that moment pass between us."

He turned around and reached for a bar of soap and a loofah and began scrubbing at his back. 'I think she has a thing for Chad to be honest."

Ichigo continued with his scrubbing, Byakuya standing by the door. After a few moments he said, quietly, "I shall wait for you in the bedroom." He slid the door shut just as Ichigo reached for the bottle of hair dye.

It was just over an hour later that Ichigo finally came out of the bathroom. He was holding the glasses and necklace in his hand. Byakuya sat at the desk with a pile of paperwork.

"Is this really necessary?" He slipped the glasses on and went over to a full-length mirror that stood by the desk, dropping the charm on the pile of paperwork. "I look like an idiot."

Byakuya turned and smiled as he saw Ichigo look at his transformation.
"Far from it. You do not carry yourself with a noble bearing, but that can not be helped." Byakuya stood and approached him, standing between Ichigo and the mirror. He reached his hands out and stopped midway to his hair. "May I?"

"Sure. You couldn't make it much worse."

The corners of Byakuya's mouth twitched, but he reached out and tried to smooth the others hair. "Your hair is damp. Why will it not stay flat?"

"Hey! I happen to like my hair all spiky and messy looking. Besides," he muttered, "It needs way too much product to keep it down."

Byakuya went over to a small dressing table and came back, this time standing right behind Ichigo. Without asking this time, Byakuya opened a small jar and took some of whatever it was out and setting the little jar next to the charm. He rubbed it between his hands first and looking at Ichigo in the mirror reached his hands up to his hair.

Ichigo said nothing as this noble Captain, a man he thought constantly had a broom up his back, started slowly rubbing and trailing his fingers through his hair. Byakuya was looking at him, never taking his eyes off Ichigo's reflection.

"There."

Ichigo started; he hadn't been able to pull his eyes off Byakuya. Watching exactly what he was doing. What the hell... His cheeks started to turn red and he felt flustered and unsure why. "Looks..." He took a deep breath and a good look at his hair. "I suppose the one good thing about it is I look nothing like me."

Byakuya reached over and lifted the leather cord from which hung the Sekkiseki stone. Still standing behind the young soul reaper, he used both hands to place it around Ichigo's neck. Then, using his left hand he pulled at the fabric of the kimono,his right hand to place the stone. The palm of his right-hand flush against the flesh of his chest and the stone.

This time Byakuya kept his eyes down as he spoke. "It would be better if it touches your skin." Byakuya looked up and over Ichigo's shoulder to once more look at him in the mirror, his hand still resting on the stone, his fingers cool against the flesh of Ichigo's chest. "Trust me, with your reshi restricted as it is, you will be a face in the crowd. Captain Yamamoto would probably recognise you immediately, however. Avoid him at all times. He is as wise as he is strong and would not be fooled."
Ichigo caught Byakuya's eyes again and saw the Captain flinch and quickly move back, giving Ichigo room to turn and look at him face on.

"Any...Any word on what's happening at the hospital? How's my dad? Yuzu and Karin??" Ichigo felt uncomfortable and weird and a little exhilarated and he didn't know why.

He needed a minute to think.

"Your condition is the same. They have placed you on life support until the swelling comes down. Your father knows you are safe here, and that has brought him some comfort."

"I never once guessed he knew a thing about Soul Reapers. But I do remember him calling me a shimigami that night."

Byakuya's face was unreadable now. "He knows all. I did not realise Isshin was your father. I remember him a little. A smart man if I recall."

"Yeah." Ichigo felt awkward for some reason. "Listen, give me 5 minutes and I will meet you... Hey, I'm starving. Any chance of something to eat?"

"My apologies. I shall inform the kitchen to ready breakfast. Just walk straight down the hall from here. You won't miss it."

Watching Byakuya leave, Ichigo felt there was more going on than he realised. He just wasn't sure what.

Suitably attired, Ichigo came down the hall and found himself walking through an open door into quite a large room. Byakuya was already seated, while two servants stood to the side. The, 'noble bearing jibe' was still ringing in his ears so Ichigo approached Byakuya and bowed.

"Good morning, cousin."

Byakuya raised an elegantly shaped eyebrow. "You shall address me as Lord Byakuya while you are under my roof, Jiro." He cast his eyes back down to continue his meal. "Is that understood?"

Ichigo felt the heat rise to his cheeks and meekly nodded, before sitting down. He glanced over to the servants who, although they weren't smiling, he could tell they were amused.

Helping himself to something to eat, keeping his gaze down, Ichigo was surprised when Byakuya dismissed the servants.

"We must maintain the illusion, Ichigo." It was said softly, and feeling a little sheepish, Ichigo nodded.

"What's the plan for today then?"

"I have given this some thought. This is the family seat of the Kuchki clan. We are close to the North Gate of the Seireitei. An hour's ride at a leisurely pace will see us there. I believe if we can discover exactly what happens when a mortal who is also a Soul reaper, dies in the world of the living, we may start on the path of who has done this."

"I guess. How are we going to do that?" Ichigo groaned. "The Department of Research and Development! Can't we just go to Urahara's?"

"I am sure Urahara is intelligent, but I doubt he has the resources we may need."

Ichigo said nothing. From his tone, he got the impression Byakuya was not a big fan of Urahara.

Breakfast continued in silence for a while.

"We must ready ourselves to go to the Seireitei. We shall stay there in my Captain's quarters for the time being. I have acquired some clothes for you. Are you ready to leave, Jiro?" Byakuya stood up and smiled at Ichigo.

Ichigo stood and felt some small measure of amusement that he had seen the Captain of the 6th squad smile. "Yes, Lord Byakuya." Ichigo smirked, tempering the good behaviour with a note of insolence.

Although he didn't look at Ichigo, Byakuya smiled.

Isshin was fast asleep when Rukia peeked her head round the door of Ichigo's private room. She wasn't prepared however, for the sight that awaited her. Ichigo was lying on the hospital bed, a ghastly white colour with a drip into his arm, monitors and lines attached to his various parts of his body. She couldn't help the gasp of shock that escaped her.

"Huh?" Isshin lifted his head from the foot of Ichigo's bed and stared bleary eyed at her. "Oh. Rukia." He turned to Ichigo and smiled. "Look who's here, son. Rukia. Your old...roommate." Isshin rubbed at his eyes before reaching out and taking his son's hand.

Rukia came in to the room, afraid of the possibilities in front of her. "Dr. Kurosaki, I-" She wasn't sure what to say. To her, Ichigo was simply back in the Soul Society. This body in front of her looked empty; abandoned. Wrong somehow. She held back a shudder.

"It's ok, Rukia. God knows this is hard enough, but I know his friends are strong and true. I know it. Please," he gestured at a chair opposite him. "Have a seat."

She nodded and sat down. "How is he?"

It took a moment for Isshin to respond. He never took his eyes off Ichigo as he spoke. Rukia tried not to look at him, until she thought it cowardly. Then she looked at her friend.

It's like he really isn't there, she thought to herself, like he is gone and will never return. She restrained the shiver that ran down her back at that thought.

"The Doctors are pleased that the swelling seems to be coming down. They're hoping to run some scans. To see the level of damage." Isshin sighed. "They say he might never wake up, Rukia. That even if he does, he won't be the same." He choked back a sob and took a moment to catch his breath. "They say if he wakes up, he will never walk again." He nodded towards the charts at the base of the bed. "My son is such a fighter. I can't believe that he will ever give up."

"I know he won't. I've seen Ichigo fight. I've never seen him give up on anything." Rukia turned to look over at Isshin; saw the tears in his eyes. She didn't know what to say to him.
Silence pervaded the room. Rukia kept looking and then looking away from Ichigo. It was so difficult to compare this...shell with the man back in the Soul Society. She only spoke to fill the void. "How are Yuzu and Karin?"

"Yuzu cries every time she comes here. Karin comforts her, but that girl is angry. She sees spirits too. She can sense that Ichigo isn't here. But she thinks that's because he's dead inside." Isshin looked over to Rukia. "How is he?"

Rukia smiled, as much to reassure Isshin as to hide her own true feelings. "He is well. Concerned for your well-being. For his sisters." She reached out and took Isshin's other hand in her own. "Your son does you such credit. I have seen him win battles that other's thought impossible, much to their own folly. Ichigo...Ichigo will overcome this trial. You all will."

Isshin nodded. Tears ran down his face. "I don't think Ichigo ever understood just how proud I am of him. I've always been so proud of my children. Yuzu took up the role of nurturer when their mother died. Karin became this tough cookie, as if that would ever stop me worrying about her. But Ichigo..." He turned to look at his son. "Ichigo became so responsible. Protective. Not just of his family. Everyone and everything fell under his care."

Rukia laughed a little. "That does sound like Ichigo to be honest."

"The next time you see him, tell him from me. I love him."

Rukia squeezed his hand tight. "I will. I promise."

"It is not hard to see you have never ridden a horse before."

"Not much call for it back home. If I'm really stuck I just catch a bus."

Ichigo and Byakuya rode together and already the Seireitei was visible in the distance. "What's the plan then?" asked Ichigo. "Break in to the R and D and try to find out about mortal Soul Reapers?"

"That is our last course of action, Ichigo." Byakuya was silent for a moment. "You may have to find reason to visit there. It will assuage their curiosity, for I have no doubt they have all heard of your visit. Perhaps later, you can make your way over to the Research and Development Division." Byakuya sighed. "It would be better if no one saw you. In fact it would be better if I could somehow attain this information myself. You do not know any of the people and in all likelihood would only draw suspicion upon0 yourself."

Ichigo just snorted. "Hey, I'm not exactly stupid you know. I ranked quite high in my schools over all tests." He arched his back, stretching out the kinks in it. "This is going to be hell. I just know it."

Byakuya remained silent and after a moment or two, Ichigo managed to slow his horse down a little so they were riding side by side, rather than him a little in front. "There's been something I've been meaning to ask you, Byakuya, if you don't mind?"

"You are going to ask whether I mind or not, so please, ask away." Byakuya smirked, which Ichigo caught.

He's relaxing around me more and more, he thought. He smiled at the realisation. "So... Why were you coming around to see me that night? I mean, I know you've been to the World of the Living before..." Damn! I shouldn't have said that. Ichigo remembered the very first time he had ever seen Byakuya and it hadn't been pleasant. He didn't know why, but he felt ashamed at bringing that first meeting up again. I was the one that almost died, yet I don't want to hurt his feelings by mentioning it?!? Ichigo sighed and looked over at Byakuya. Gone was the relaxed, pleasant company and now his face was set in stone. "Sorry. If it's any consolation, it's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned."

The 6th Division Captain pulled on the reigns of his horse and stopped.

Ichigo was a little taken aback by this and had to figure out how to make his horse loop back so he could stop by the Captain.

"Actually, I was coming to see you about that very night." Byakuya looked straight into Ichigo's eyes. "I do want to talk to you about it all, but I do not believe now is the time." He could see the puzzlement in Ichigo's face. "I promise. Tonight, when we are alone and secure, I will tell you the full of it." Byakuya smiled and Ichigo felt more reassured.

"You don't have to, if you don't want to. I'm ok with it."

"You are so easy going, Ichigo Kurosaki." Byakuya couldn't help himself and laughed, startling the younger man.

Ichigo blinked and started to smile. "It's nice to see that you can actually laugh, Byakuya. I used to think your face would crack if you so much as smiled."

"You are too kind, I'm sure." They started off again, keeping pace with one another. "I know my responsibilities; my duty to my family and to my oath as a Soul Reaper. I turned my heart to stone after my beloved wife's death. It was easier to feel nothing rather than linger in pain. I have obeyed all orders without question and worked my way up through the squads, just so no one could ever say I used my position and privilege to gain rank. However, of late, I have wondered if I have perhaps been a little too blind to the word of honour, rather than it's deeper, more personal meaning. My honour means so much to me..." He sighed. "No. Now is not the time. We are almost within the patrol region for the Seireitei. It would be better if you moved behind me as we approach."

Ichigo reached out his hand and placed it over Byakuya's. startling the older man. "We can talk, if you want. But your honour holds no mark on my account, Byakuya. I promise you."

Byakuya flinched as if touched by a hot iron and looked straight up into Ichigo's eyes; the younger man didn't let him pull his hand away and refused to turn his gaze away.

Byakuya tore his eyes away first and Ichigo then pulled back his hand.

The horses continued to move and both men rode in silence, as if unsure and uneasy about what had just happened.

Ichigo let his horse fall behind Byakuya, staring at the reign in his hands full of puzzlement and confusion. Once again there was that moment of exhilaration and confusion and he felt like his brain was screaming at him and so many different emotions all at once.

Compassion for Byakuya's predicament in forcing himself to apologise for almost killing him at their first meeting. Why didn't he realise none of that mattered anymore. They were friends now. Good friends even. It was almost like... Ichigo suddenly looked up and at the tall straight noble back in front of him. "No way." He whispered to himself, a little shocked at what he was thinking. "No way..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32 1 4
Warning Note: MUST READ! THIS IS A SEQUEL to my other story: Is It My Right? (A Byakuya Kuchiki Love Story). Please if you want to know what the hell...
13.3K 313 7
Gin and Grimmjow are coming Soul Society, and there's bound to be trouble. What with Ichigo and Grimmjow always wanting to challenge each other to pr...
6.1K 113 23
It's been around ten minutes, but I haven't heard anything. Just then I heard a door close, probably the front door to the house or apartment. I hear...
228K 10.7K 100
β•°β”ˆβž€ ❝ π™’π™π™šπ™§π™š.. π™©π™π™š π™π™šπ™‘π™‘ 𝙖𝙒 𝙄? ❞ βˆ˜β‚Šβœ§β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€βœ§β‚Šβˆ˜ You lived a normal and casual life in the twenty-first century. In fact, it would be a com...