DRACULA REBORN

By GuardianAngel22

Twenty years have passed since the death of my beloved Nathan. Twenty years of raising our daughter single-ha... More

Author's Note
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE: The Accident
CHAPTER THREE: The Hunt
CHAPTER FOUR: The Escape
CHAPTER FIVE: Blood Kiss
CHAPTER SIX: FIGHT OR FLIGHT
CHAPTER SEVEN: THE HUNT

CHAPTER TWO: The Switch

1.9K 133 35
By GuardianAngel22

I met a man today. But this wasn't just some ordinary man like the one you pass by on the street. No, this man was different. Different than I'd ever seen. He was quiet, mysterious and sexy as hell. Except, I don't know what came over me when I decided to sit down next to him, in front of the local cafe with my glass of red wine. We sat and talked for what felt like hours when it was only half that. And when the rain came down. I knew I had to make my exit. But suddenly a voice appeared in my head, telling me to say hi to Astrid.

When really it felt more like a push than anything else. It just came out and without warning. And the name felt natural on my tongue too, like I'd been saying it my whole life when in fact I'd never even heard of it until today. I walked away feeling strange and out of touch with my true self. I didn't know what think so I went home. A charming furnished studio apartment located on the fourth floor of an eighteenth-century old building nestled near the heart of the city of Marais.

The rent was a little high for my tastes but with it being within walking distance to work beggars couldn't be choosers. Walking up to the door, I was forced to set down a couple bags as I reached for my keys from the pocket of my red jacket. Then I put the key in the lock, twisted it and opened the door. The light switched on illuminating the darkened space caused by the storm that was still raging outside. As I crossed the threshold, I placed the bags down on the counter and returned to claim the rest outside in the hall.

With groceries for the week and some new clothes for work, it didn't seem to take that long to put everything away. I guess that's the joy of renting a tiny apartment. And speaking of a tiny apartment. It only took eight steps to walk from the kitchen to the living room as I grabbed the remote off the couch and turned on the TV. The volume increases as the news reporter's voice got higher to the point where I felt comfortable enough to hear it, as I started the process of cooking dinner for myself yet again.

Sure would be nice to have someone to come home to though, I thought to myself. But in this day and age, I've never had much luck when it came to dating. I've experienced everything from being stood-up to getting ghosted all within a year. It just seems to me that nobody is ever interested in dating anymore. When what they're really looking for is the next big score or to add another notch in their bedpost. I tell ya, if I had it my way, dating would be made so much easier. Or at least come with a how-to-manual on how to land the perfect date.

That's because you lay all your cards out on the table, I heard myself say. Guys want someone who seem confident, contented and not needy or desperate. Just let them come to you.

I rolled my eyes and cracked open a box of noodles as I poured them into the boiling pot. Steam swirled in the air, hitting me in the face, heating up my skin. A few more stirs and it was time to lower the temperature just a little bit while I worked on putting the finishing touches to the sauce. A few chopped mushrooms and that was it. I grabbed a bowl from the cabinet nearby and dumped the noodles into the strainer that sat in the sink. Whereas my stomach was growing impatient by the minute, it was time to satisfy it.

The first bite is always the sweetest. It's like taming the beast. The beast that lives and thrives in your stomach. I think it's called; hunger. At the end of the meal, I felt much better. I sat the bowl down on the small end table in the corner and went to the bedroom to get some clean pajamas to wear after my shower. A shower that was desperately needed after the day I've had. I couldn't wait to feel the warmth of the water on my skin as it slid down my body, forcing me to relax and eventually forget about all my troubles.

The water flowed endlessly yet felt even better once I slipped behind the Paris shower curtain I got back in the States before I moved here. I ran my fingers through my hair, closing my eyes and enjoying the delicate sensation of it all. I felt at ease. My mind free and clear. I didn't want it to end. I loved taking showers. Or maybe it was just the idea of getting clean. That the water somehow could wash away your old skin. Only to leave it feeling like new again. Like a new suit of armor. Ready to protect you at a moment's notice.

To start, I began with shampooing my hair. I reached for a bottle that sat in the corner of the tub as I popped the top and squeezed a small amount in my hand. The scent was ocean breeze when really it just smelled like fresh citrus. As I worked the soap into my hair, I barely even noticed that the bottle had fallen and landed in the tub next to my feet. Yet a single step was all it took as I began to fall backward. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to react. My head must've hit the wall just right cause I blacked out.

And whatever happened after that, it's all a blur.

A gentle heartbeat sounded nearby as I searched for it in a sea of darkness. I longed for it, begged for it, and above all thrived on it. I moved closer without hesitation. Not knowing whether it was up or down. All I knew was that, if there was even the slightest bit of light at the end of this tunnel, then I sure as hell would fight to escape. The sound got louder as I got closer. I knew I was close when I felt a big push towards something greater than myself. And when I awoke, I knew that I was alive once again. Finally.

Except, this wasn't the same bathroom I remembered. The original shower had been enclosed with a glass door and it had multiple shower heads that came at you from all sides. What the hell is this place? I sat up slowly but winced when I felt a wave of uneasiness wash over me. The back of my head hurt like a son-of-a-bitch while the feeling of something warm trickled its way down the back of my neck. I touched it and realized that it was blood.

I reached for the shower bar as I pulled myself up and turned off the water. Pushing aside the shower curtain, I reached for a towel that hanged on the wall and wrapped it around my waist. Standing in front of the mirror, I wiped my hand across the glass and was shocked at the person staring back at me. I touched its face, examined its teeth and stared it in the eye. This wasn't me. This wasn't my original body. I didn't recognize the person. How is this possible? Suddenly, I felt sick and emptied the contents of my stomach into the sink.

A quick rinse and spit followed by a mouthful of mouthwash hid the evidence on my breath. But not the horrified expression on my face. Surely I looked white as a ghost by now. I left the bathroom in a hurry. In my haste, I noticed that the TV was on along with a news report of today's world events. The language was in French so it made it hard to understand. But that didn't stop the words appearing on screen: 2038...A YEAR IN REVIEW. Twenty years!? No, no, no! That can't be right! It just can't.

In the master bedroom just off to the side, I didn't waste any time in getting dressed. I put on whatever I got my hands on first and found the person's wallet in the jacket pocket along with a set of house keys. Then I practically bolted out the door as I ran down the hall finding a set of stairs that took me straight to the bottom. At street level, a heavy rainstorm pelted the rooftops, streets, and sidewalks as I began to walk around aimlessly, unsure of where to go next. While within seconds I was drenched from head to toe.

The icy rain slid down my spine causing me to shiver. I'd almost forgotten what's it like to be human. I guess I'd gotten used to my immortal body soon than expected after I first turned. I was strong and powerful. And undeniably untouchable. Nothing could harm me for I was a fighter, a warrior. But in the end, I died protecting those that I loved. And now look at me. I'm weak and vulnerable. Slow and fragile. I am all but defenseless now in a strange new world that looks nothing like the one I left behind.

I missed being a vampire. I guess that's one of the things I loved most about being an immortal. The strength, the speed and the feeling of being invincible. Even as I walk the deserted streets and back alleys. I can't help but shake the feeling that someone is watching me. I head east with no real destination in mind. In the distance I could see the Eiffel Tower all lit up, its lights radiating in the night. I decided to go there first and hopefully get my bearings. On a bridge that spanned over the Seine, Pont Alexandre III certainly was extravagant.

I was halfway across when I heard the wheels of a car creep up behind me, it's headlights putting a target on my back. I remained calm and kept moving forward slowly, hoping that it would pass, but it didn't. It got closer as I began to pick up speed. Then I took off at a dead run as the car started to chase me down past the Eiffel Tower and at the intersection of Quai Branly and Pont d'lena. I quickly looked around for a place to hide and noticed the front entrance to the Paris Metro station. Here's hoping the place was still crowded.

"He's heading for the train station!" A male voice cried out as the car stopped short behind me. "Don't let him get away."

Running down the stairs at full speed, I nearly tripped when I reached the bottom but caught myself at the last second. A few people glanced my way, whispering amongst themselves as I made myself look busy and hide behind a row of concrete tile pillars. I peek around the corner, seeing a group of men descend the stairs dressed in black suits. My lungs burn, aching to get back under control as my heart pounds against my ribcage. I take a deep breath and brace myself for the worst when I hear a voice in French appear over the loudspeaker.

It was too difficult to understand at first, but once I heard the whistle of a train roll into the station, I knew what it meant. The doors opened and a crowd of people stepped off as I got on and tried to conceal myself as I sat down and off to the side with my back to the windows. Time was ticking too slow. My foot tapped anxiously against the floor as I prayed for the doors to close and the train to start moving again. When it did a few minutes later, I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that the worst was over.

But I was wrong. As soon as we moved through the tunnel, I knew I had been spotted. I kept my head down and my eyes to the floor. The man in question moved closer, his hand brushing up against the side of his jacket, revealing a 9mm handgun. He stopped short just a few yards away, holding onto the pole. Then the lights in the car flickered on and off and that's when I made my move. I didn't hesitate to get up as I headed for the door that would put me in the next car.

As for the handle, a hand came down on my shoulder as I lashed out and struck the guy in the face with my elbow. The blow was fast and hurt like hell but I didn't let it stop me. Blood dribbled from his nose, his eyes fueled with anger. He made a move for his gun as I jumped over him and put him in a chokehold. I squeezed my arm around his neck hard as he struggled to breathe, trying to fight me off. But I didn't let up. Not until I felt the fight leave his body and fall into unconsciousness. Who the hell is this guy?

I searched his pockets, even the inside of his jacket and still, I found nothing. Not one piece of evidence that might possibly tell me who this guy is and why he was after me. Or maybe...maybe he's not after me. Maybe he's after the guy whose body I'm in. But no matter the question. I surely didn't have the time or the place to answer them. The lights in the car came back on as I took the guy's gun and tucked it into the waistband of my jeans, behind the small of my back. For I never know when I might need it to defend myself.

Five minutes later, the train stopped again as I got off and searched for a sign that could tell me where I am. Ecole Militaire, a vast complex of buildings housing various military training facilities located in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, and southeast of the Champ de Mars. As I headed for the stairs, I glanced over my shoulder and saw two more men dressed in the same type of suit step off the train and start to follow me. Oh, you have got to be kidding! What is it with these guys? And what do they want?

Well, I sure as hell wasn't going to stick around and find out. I needed to get to that Military school and try to make contact with Dracula. That is if I could get him to believe me.

Author's Note: Okay guys! I hope you liked this chapter as much as you liked the first one. :) Anyways, I know the introduction to Devereux is short, but don't worry. He'll get plenty of more screen time as the novel progresses. And so will Nathan of course. So in the meantime, enjoy these fabulous chapters because there won't be any more until I get some more written.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 642 38
What happens when vampires and werewolves,( natural born enemies.) Decide to live together as equals on the same lands. What will happen when a werew...
2.2M 77.4K 28
Berlin Cahill has always been different. He was the smallest of the bunch from the beginning. When he did not shift at the age of 13, as all werewolv...
155K 7.2K 48
"What I was going to say was selfish..." He mumbled. I edge closer to him until my hand slowly cradled his cheek. Tilting his head up to look at me...
72.4K 4.7K 67
~ A vampires tale ~ #1 fantasyfiction #1 gayromance #1 boyslove #6 bxb I can't thank you enough for all the love 💗 ~~~ Belmont runs as fast as h...