Secrets of a Pirate's Heart

By Victoria_Brooks

BOOK 2 COMING SOON! Scarlett lives in the Golden Age of Piracy. And despite the fascination she has with them... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Seven

4.3K 152 14
By Victoria_Brooks

Sunlight shone through the wood paneling of the barn and lit up the yellow strands of hay. Outside, the birds chirped and sang their songs, signifying that it was early morning.

Scarlett sat up, letting the pieces of hay fall off, and brushed the remainder out of her hair and off her clothes. She glanced around the room, seeing only the two horses and their breakfast. The door had been closed, and it looked like pirates had never entered the barn. It looked so peaceful, like a carefree day on the farm should be. But Scarlett knew they were still around. They could even be outside waiting for all I know. But seeing the horses' breakfast in front of them proved to her that there hadn't been any disturbances that morning for Edmund and Claire.

Scarlett opened the door and peeked outside, letting the sunlight flash in her eyes. She walked to the house and approached the back door she had escaped through the night before.

"Hello?" she said, as she opened it.

"Oh Scarlett," Claire exclaimed, greeting her at the door. "Come in and have a seat. We're just about to have breakfast. Was everything okay last night?"

"Yes, I was able to hide in the hay when they came looking."

"Oh thank goodness!" Claire replied. "I knew you would hide, but I was so worried when they opened the barn door."

Scarlett only smiled and sat herself in a chair, opposite from the little girl and beside the little boy she had only seen a glance of. "Children, this is Scarlett. Scarlett, this is my daughter, Bonnie, and my son, Liam."

"Nice to meet you," Scarlett warmly said.

Liam shyly gave a greeting, but Bonnie jumped right to asking questions. "Who are you?"

"Bonnie," Claire scolded, as she placed cooked potatoes and eggs in front of the three.

"Mum, you said that you would tell us what happened last night, and you haven't all morning!" Liam nodded in agreement.

Scarlett laughed, then said, "Don't worry, I'll tell you who I am. I came to your Mum and Dad's last night because I escaped from pirates," Bonnie and Liam exclaimed in awe at the mention of pirates, "Yes, they took me captive a few days ago back at my home in England. The captain is the most feared in these lands, too, I believe." The children listened attentively to Scarlett's every word, and they reminded her of the little girl she used to be. "But children, this is a very serious business. Surely you've heard pirate stories, and as exciting as they may seem, they're not something to be taken lightly. Rather, my life is in danger. I know they are searching for me, and I have to be careful."

"Why did they capture you?" Bonnie asked.

Her younger brother added, "Do they have swordfights?"

Scarlett laughed. "I haven't witnessed it yet. I don't know why they captured me. I think the Captain is mistaking me for someone else."

"Who?"

"I couldn't imagine," she replied as she looked at Claire, who returned her glance.

In between bites of their breakfast, Bonnie and Liam bombarded Scarlett with questions about her experiences on the pirate ship, and she returned with satisfying answers, sparing them of the details she knew their mother would want left out.

Afterwards, Scarlett helped Claire clean the dishes, while the children left to mend the garden.

"Edmund is down in the market," Claire said.

"I was wondering where he was," Scarlett replied. "I just never had a chance to ask!" The two laughed but fell silent.

"Scarlett," Claire said, stopping her work. "Hearing your stories of what you have been through these last few days really amazes me. If that were me, I wouldn't have lasted a day from fear! But what you have endured, I admire." She paused. "We need to find a way to get you back to your home. I just wish I knew how. But I'll talk to Edmund about it. He knows the sailors in the town and he can work something out."

After they finished washing the dishes, Claire had Scarlett take a bath, while she washed her clothes, giving her something of hers to wear in the meantime. Scarlett was relieved to wash the dirt from her hair and skin, and to put on something clean. It felt as if she was washing away her memories of the pirates and starting new.

For the rest of the day, Scarlett enjoyed herself, as she helped Claire, Bonnie, and Liam work around their farm. Seldom did she think about pirates, or even what might happen if they saw her outside.

Scarlett looked at Claire and her children, though, and felt herself break into pieces inside for a few seconds. And as days went by, she watched Edmund play with his children every evening, reminding her of her father narrating another tale to his children. She saw her family in this family, whose sympathy and compassion she did not take for granted. Though she began to feel attached to them, she missed her own relatives, and she missed home. These thoughts occupied her mind whenever she was in the presence of the others, and had to stop herself from meditating on it before anger was sparked.

However, she let the fire ablaze one night as she lay in Bonnie's bed, who gave it up for Scarlett to use. Unable to sleep, she mentally shouted at the Captain and his crew for taking her captive and causing the heartbreak she felt every night she went to bed. Thinking about that day and when she stepped on the ship, she played out the scenario where she turned around and went back to the bakery. If only she had. But now, she didn't know who to blame. Maybe this is all my fault. Pirates take people captive all the time. Maybe it was her choosing against her instincts that got her into the trouble she was in. How stupid she felt, after all her family had taught her growing up.

Her thoughts shifted. What was her family doing at home? Did her mother lie awake as well? Or had they given up hope by now? She imagined her mother and father monotonously living through their days, and her brothers trying to take care of their parents and the bakery. Scarlett quietly sobbed in frustration, wishing not to wake the children but also unable to hold back her pain.

This was a constant struggle for the few days that Scarlett took refuge in Edmund and Claire's home. She never liked to show her emotional pain to the four, but they sensed her anxiety all the same.

----------

It was evening. The sun was already down, though it was hard to tell from the clouds and light showers that came frequently during the day. It had been five days since Scarlett's escape. As every new day came along, she felt more confident that she had lost the pirates and they had lost her. Her next step was to find a ship that would take her across the Irish sea back to home.

In the meantime, Scarlett huddled near the fire with her second family. Claire had a pot of Irish stew cooking, and the delicious smell permeated the small cottage. Once Edmund came home from the market, the five all sat to eat and filled their stomachs just enough to leave the rest for later. Afterwards, they all sat around the fire, Edmund reading a small book, Claire mending a blanket, the children playing a game they made up on the floor, and Scarlett sat with them, trying to figure it out. Everything seemed like home in that moment, and Scarlett felt warm inside. She tried to not let the negative feelings in, reminding herself constantly of her determination to be with her family again soon.

But there was a start amongst those in the room when they heard a strong knock on the door. It was unusual for someone to call so late on such an evening, and Scarlett immediately thought of pirates. Instinctively, she, as well as Edmund, jumped up.

He walked to the door. "Who is it?" he asked.

"It's-it's Patrick Gallagher," spoke an anxious voice. That moment, everyone knew something was wrong. Glances were tossed around the room, all with the same idea in mind: someone must be terribly ill or there was an emergency. Edmund swung open the door, revealing Gallagher on the doorstep. Yes, it was true - anxiety shown on every curve of his round face. But not for the reasons they all thought. Standing beside him was Captain Alexander Jones, with a knife to Gallagher's throat and his whole crew standing behind him.

Scarlett's stomach twisted until it made her sick. She had been caught.

"You've been keeping something hidden from me?" the Captain said to Edmund. Edmund fumbled with his words, too terrified to speak or hardly move. The Captain freed his horrible grip from Gallagher, who stumbled to the ground in terror. He gasped for breath as he backed away, still watching the scene unfold. The Captain motioned for his crew to enter the house, who obeyed, pushing Edmund aside. Claire pulled her children out of the way, and held her arms around them for protection. She wanted to help Scarlett, but both knew there was no point in trying. Instead, Scarlett stood still and faced the Captain, who stared at her with an expression she had wished to forget.

"How did you find me?" she said.

"Searching," he replied. "And information from those smart enough to speak of a certain girl being around."

"I have just as much a right as you do to be free."

"And I have my reasons for keeping that from you," the Captain replied.

In a split second, before Scarlett knew what was happening, Edmund had a pocket knife against the Captain's throat. "You will not take her away from here, or I will kill you," he said. Instantly, the crew drew out their swords and pointed them towards Edmund.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Leslie said in defense of his captain. Scarlett, however, agreed. She shook her head while looking at Edmund, who looked directly at her. Realizing he was outnumbered, Edmund withdrew the knife from the Captain's throat.

Not fazed by Edmund's actions in the first place, the Captain resumed his previous manner. "Crew, bound her and take her back to the ship." Panic erupted in the room, as two pirates dove to grab hold of Scarlett, knowing how resistant she could be - and resistant she was, as she struggled to free herself. Edmund and Claire jumped in to protect Scarlett, but to no avail. Other pirates easily grabbed them and held them back, no matter how much they shouted and kicked. One pirate trying to seize Scarlett clasped his hand over her mouth and nose, preventing her from breathing, while the other bound her hands and feet. Then, they carried her out, one placing her over his shoulder. She kicked, as she looked at the Captain, who shook his head at her before leading the crew back to the ship.

She stopped. She knew it was no use to struggle, especially now. She stared back at Edmund and Claire, who, along with Bonnie and Liam, stood in their doorway. They themselves knew it was helpless to come after her. Bonnie and Liam were sobbing, and Scarlett felt a tear trickle down her cheek. She felt guilty for the pain she had brought upon them. But she knew it was for the best to keep them safe from her troubles. She knew it was time to close the wonderful chapter of being part of their family and she knew she had to say goodbye. Before they were too far apart, Scarlett mouthed a "thank you" and waved farewell.

----------

We are about half way through the story! The plot will thicken...

In the meantime, thank you for reading, and let me know what you think! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 6.8K 20
I don't own Pirates of the Caribbean. All rights go to the Disney company that gave us these wonderous movies. I only own Johanna and (Y/n) and her s...
13.2K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
206 6 1
I had created a Disney Villainous OC awhile back, developing her background storyline and what she went through within Neverland. This is pretty much...
24 1 15
In the gripping sequel to "The Pirate's Crown," the adventure continues with Oliver Spector as he embarks on a perilous quest in search of the legend...