The Djinni & The Dropout

By CocoNichole

*Former Title: Grenadine Dreams* When college dropout Naya Burton is tempted with the chance to wish all of h... More

1. The Hangover
2. The Source of Smoke
3. The Djinni and the Dropout
4. The Monkey Demon
5. The Collector
6. The Lie
7. The Nickname
8. The Servant
9. The Awakening
10. Heat
11. Responsibility
12. Grenadine Dreams
13. Hookah Therapy
14. The Aquarium
15. Banana Pancakes
16. Circles
17. The First Day
18. Girl Talk
19. Monkey Business
20. The Guitar
21. The Sleepover
22. Sinbad
23. Djinniyah
24. Roadtrip
25. Pizza and Passengers
26. The Magus
27. The Elephant
28. The Reverend
29. Moving On
30. Cake
31. A Fire Inside
32. Playing with Fire
33. Firesword
34. The Gourd
35. Ashes
36. The Orphan
37. Changelings and Challenges
38. What Could Be
39. Together Again
40. Second Chances
41. Sizzling
42. Finding Naim
43. The Departure
44. Taming Fire
45. The Red Dress
46. The Garden
47. The Goodbye Party
48. The Library
49. Sila
50. The Backup Plan
51. Deserted
52. Auras
53. The Mirage
54. Ghoulish
56. Sex Magic
57. The Challenger
58. Bargaining Power
59. The Magus and the Artist
60. Truth Be Told
61. Little Marid
62. The Escape
63. Quiet Fire
64. Gatekeeper
65. 1001 Days
66. Nastarajan
67. Demonology
68. Ghost Empire
69. 1001 Nights
70. The Shinigami
71. Blue Fingers
72. Firekin
73. Guilty Pleasures
74. The Whirlpool
75. Electric Kiss
76. Beautiful Hell
77. Friendship is Magic
78. Broken Bonds
79. Hunger
80. Elevator to Hell
81. Icebreaker
82. The Color of Power, The Shape of . . .
83. The Rising Sun

55. The Oasis

2.1K 200 19
By CocoNichole

55. The Oasis

{Naya}

"When we get back to that jann, I'm going to tear those tusks right out of his lying mouth."

I placed a hand on Uri's shoulder. "Let's just get our tickets and go to the oasis. I really don't want to make a big deal out of it."

Uri shot me an incredulous look. I had to remind myself that the flash of red in his eyes was not directed at me, but at the actions of the jann.

"You nearly got your shoulder burned off because of his lies."

I rolled my eyes. "Uri, please. A little salve from Zayn's magical first aid kit, some rest, and I'll be good as new in the morning."

Uri wasn't buying any of it. "I've made up my mind. I'm killing the jann."

I had to think of something quick.

When we arrived at the mirage where Ritsu and our camels waited, I kept my eyes peeled for the jann. The trickster eventually peeked his head out from behind the mound of an overhead dust cloud. Judging by the size of his eyes and the way his beaked gaped open, he seemed fairly surprised to see that we had returned.

Uri marched up to the shape-shifter. "You didn't tell us that there was more than one ghoul in that cave. You almost got us killed!"

At this news, Ritsu fiercely snarled in the jann's direction. He left the safety of the camels and joined us in the sand. His and Uri's combined pissed off glares caused the jann to shield its face with its lion-like paws.

I'm sorry! Can you blame me for fearing that you wouldn't try to clear out the cave if you knew there were that many? All the other volunteers refused or died trying.

Okay, now I was pissed. Thanks to me, that jann had known Uri was vulnerable in his transitioning form. Still, he chose to send us out to fight a battle that he knew we could lose.

I unwrapped Uri's damp scarf from my arm, revealing the burn I had received from one of the ghouls. Then I took a step closer to the jann's cloud.

Uri shot me a warning look as I passed him. It was no surprise that his eyes were pulsing with color and a steady stream of smoke drifted out the corners of his mouth.

"Naya, what are you doing?"

I fixed my gaze on the jann. "Showing this business owner how he treats his customers. Do you want the rest of this desert to know what you've done to an innocent djinniyah? I thought your oasis was supposed to be a place of peace and hospitality."

The djinni's beak rattled. Djinniyah, please! My cousins do not need to hear about this. I can admit that it was a fatal mistake on my part. Let me make it up to you!

It lowered its giant paw towards us. Hooked into its dew claw was an ornate bronze key.

This key opens up the royal suite. It's all yours for one night. There is even a private pool so that you don't have to swim in the public oasis with the peasants. You won't find a discount like this anywhere else –

I stomped my foot. "Discount?! My boyfriend and I slaughtered an army of ghouls. We have their teeth to prove it. You've got one chance to change my mind before I take these camels and go far and wide to drag your filthy name through quicksand!"

You don't know my name . . .

"Oh, don't I, busy beak?" I laughed.

The plates on the jann's mane bristled. It made an abrupt hooting noise that I interpreted as a gasp.

I tried to get some fire to show in my eyes, the way Uri did. Apparently, it was a useful gesture to make other djinn back down.

"Trust me, I can describe you just fine. You will never rent property in this desert again."

Unlimited access! You may come and go as you please – no charge. Ever!

I wrinkled my nose. "I'm listening. What else?"

The jann was trying so hard to hold back from clicking its beak. And free room service. You are cleared to take from any of the buffets. As much as you like.

I glanced down at my monkey. "You're welcome, Ritsu."

My monkey demon licked his lips and bared his fangs.

I reached up and unhooked the key from the jann's claw. Ritsu climbed onto my good shoulder.

The jann bowed his head and disappeared behind the thick cloud of dust. Seconds later, the cloud dissipated to reveal a bleached walkway lined with palm trees stretching as tall as urban skyscrapers. More of these giant trees swayed in the distance. They provided shade for low rising dome-shaped structures. A salty, refreshing breeze kissed my nose – the promise of an inland ocean at the heart of it all.

Uri appeared next to me with the camels in tow. His eyes were back to brown and his mouth no longer smoked like a chimney. There was laughter and excitement in his expression, a complete shift from the fiery scowl he wore just minutes ago.

He stepped closer to me with hooded eyes and one of his lazy grins. Ritsu's throat rumbled a warning growl, but Uri didn't seem to give a damn.

"Naya, you are –"

I touched my fingertips to his lips. Twirling the key before his eyes, I said, "Come on, the royal suite is waiting for us."

+++

{Uriel}

"Uri," Naya said while they rode their camels down the limestone path leading to the enchanted oasis.

Uriel sensed a hint of contemplation in her tone. She was looking for answers to things that he didn't want her thinking about. Still, they were in the desert and about to spend their first night in a city of djinn. He could no longer hide certain truths from her.

"Yes?"

Concern clouded her eyes. "That jann . . . he really was trying to kill you. Was he that terrified of an ifrit with a red aura walking into his oasis? I mean, you can't be the only djinni like that around here."

Uri looked down at his knuckles. "Yes, he was fearful enough to try to have me killed. No, I'm not the only ifrit with a red aura." He inhaled deeply before explaining. "Naya, the auras occur on a spectrum. All djinn are at different stages in their lives. This affects the color of their auras. It's rare that you would find another djinni with the exact same color aura as you. For example, your aura is mostly blue. This is an aura that most djinn trust because it signifies wisdom and strength, but they also know that you are young and have not fully matured because of the green present in your aura."

Naya waved her hand. "I got that part. What about you?"

Uri looked at her and confessed, "Most djinn find my aura very dangerous because it's a deeper shade of red. Djinn with warm auras the color of let's say an apple or an orange are very common. They tend to be hot-headed and like to challenge others, but they are not particularly destructive or life-threatening in a fight. My aura, on the other hand, is closer to black."

"Black is supposed to be the really powerful aura," Naya remembered.

Uriel nodded. "Right. Most djinn do their best to avoid darker auras like mine. The fact that I'm an ifrit does not help the equation. As a matter of fact, if you hadn't been there with me, that jann probably wouldn't have even wasted his time revealing himself to us."

Naya sighed. "You were trying to keep it a secret."

"Yes. But it became impossible when that jann suggested buying you from me. When my anger is tested, I can't suppress the aura."

He could feel Naya's gaze on him. They rode in silence while she digested everything.

"Listen," her voice was soft, "we don't have to leave our room once we get there. The view of the water from our bedroom will be fine with me. I'll be happy cooling off in our indoor pool. And we can order room service the whole time. That way you won't have to deal with those other djinn."

Uriel shook his head. "That's sweet, Naya, but I have to eventually show my face. I need to inquire about where to find the marida. Plus, we will see a lot of faces on the way to the suite. I'm going to warn you now, they will be staring at us. Just like the jann, they'll want to know why a young blue djinniyah is in the company of a human-looking ifrit."

Naya lifted her chin. "I can handle the stares."

Uriel chuckled. "I have no doubt about that. But Naya, djinn are not like people. They like to get in your business and test your patience. If a djinni is attracted to you and thinks I'm not fit to be in your presence, they will try to challenge me and separate us."

Naya looked uncertainly at the approaching structures. "Are you serious?"

He grimaced. "Very."

Naya groaned. "Then why did you bring us here?"

"You don't have anything to worry about. I can handle any djinn that try to harass us."

"What should I do if something like that happens?" Naya asked.

"Just let me do all the talking this time."

***

When they entered the hotel room, Naya didn't seem to notice the size or the splendor. She dumped their bags on the bed and plopped on the edge of it.

"Holy shit, there were a lot of ifrits out there."

Uriel felt sick. He started to look for the first aid kit Zayn had packed. Anything to keep his hands busy.

"You weren't lying when you said that they would stare. Normally, I wouldn't mind that sort of attention, but Uri," she met his gaze, "they looked like they wanted to burn you alive. For no reason!"

Ash gathered in Uriel's mouth. "Oh trust me, in their minds, they have very good reasons."

He gestured for her to come closer so he could wrap her arm. While engaged in the task, he thought more about the crowds of unapologetically curious djinn waiting for them outside. He wasn't sure how he was able to keep his suit of fire in check during that uncomfortable camel ride through the resort. Perhaps it had something to do with the lingering exhaustion from fighting the ghouls. If that was the case, it would be even harder to hide his aura when he had to eventually show his face again. Uriel prayed that a single flash of his red eyes would make them back down. But there were some djinn who lived for that next impossible challenge. Showing off his aura would most definitely invite a fight.

I can't keep using my suit of fire for petty things like this.

After wrapping Naya's arm, Uriel let her explore the rest of the chamber. While she was preoccupied, he locked his eyes on Ritsu, who was waiting by the door.

Before he could utter a command, the monkey said, "You don't have to tell me twice. I'll be outside scouting to see if any of those ifrits are serious about challenging you."

Uriel felt his features soften. "Uh . . . thank you."

The monkey bared its teeth. "I'm doing this for my mistress, not you, djinni." Then he slipped through the door and closed it shut behind him.

"Uri! Get over here and have a look at this!"

Uriel rose from the bed and followed the sound of Naya's voice. It seemed that she had located their private pool. A cloud of smoke caught in his throat.

"Are you coming?" Naya's lip twisted in a suggestive smile.

Uriel had seen her in a bikini before, but the combination of her coily mane weighed down with water and the fact the building was surrounded by djinn who would kill him just to get a glimpse of her like this set his whole body on fire.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 542 30
Sumayya lived a normal life of a Uni student when suddenly her life starts turning into a weird angle and she finds herself lost into her own loop an...
81 24 15
Two months ago, Megan found a genie. Things were going great - until that bottle was stolen out of her room. Now, Megan's wishes aren't working, and...
1.5K 79 27
Rating: 16+ Includes: Language Use of substances Partial nudity Partial violence Mention of sensitive information: Eg: [Rape, suicide, etc] ...
1.3K 385 35
This story is about two fairies who where twins but got separated after a war took place in fairy land and where sent away to protect them and now t...