Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Thirty Two

1.5K 269 38
By WeirderMum

At first mum's lips curved into an infectious smile, but this smile quickly vanished as it came, with pure horror suddenly taking over her expression. Quickly, she put the pencil down on the diner and slid her hands towards my sister.

She helped Zara sit up and with little effort, guided her to herself. Close enough, she lifted her up and gently placed her on her laps. Then she forced a weak smile while trying to play with her hair.

"Oh mummy, I want to write one" Zara protested.

"You will sweetie but mummy wants to tell you something" Mum said scooping her chin up and turning her head a little so she could face her.

"Mmm...okay" Zara replied reaching for a blue crayon she'd tossed on the table earlier on. Grabbing it, she began drawing on mum's cloth, laughing at the faint marks it made. "It's fine mummy?" She was smiling up at mum. Mum nodded, still holding unto a weak smile.

"You know baby, mummy loved what you said!" Mum began.

"My crayon?"

"No... Yes I love your crayon but I love what you said first more" Mum was loosing it. Zara seemed confused as she glared at mum, her scanty little brows slightly arching to express her confusion.

"About you loving me as daddy loves aunty...Chioma" Obviously the name was so hard for mum to say aloud, the heaviness was evident in the manner she pronounced it.

"Oh... " Zara was smiling. "My daddy likes aunty Chioma and I will like you like that mummy" She repeated jumping down from mum's lap and running after a crayon that had fallen off the table.

Mum was quiet. Too quiet.

Zara ran back to mum again after picking up the crayon, she spread her arms wide signaling for mum to carry her. Mum gently lifted her up and placed her on her laps again.

"Why do you say that baby?" She asked lovingly stroking her hair.

Zara's expression darkened. It was as though mum's words hurt her. "That I like you?"

"No no baby. Not that." Mum replied, planting a kiss on her cheek. She blushed. "I meant why do you say that daddy loves aunty Chioma?"

"NEPA!!!!" Zara's happy screams filled the air as the light bulbs flickered on, signaling that the light has been restored. This little excitement disrupted her conversation with mum, forcefully stopping her from responding to mum's important questions.

She raced down from mum's laps and began running around the sitting room, her hands lifted above her head. She ran over to me, dragging and pulling my hands while begging me to stand.

"Cartoon Ada, cartoon!" She cried.

Exhaling tired breaths, I shook my head in anger, standing and walking over to the socket and switching it on.

"Yes!!!!" Another round of excitement erupted as the UPS beeped on.

Mum gently walked over to us, her expression filled with worry.

"Zara... "

"Mum see!" She screeched pointing at the light bulb. "It's light!"

"Okay Zara, I've seen it but you'll have to answer me before the cartoon comes on, okay?"

She shook her head.

"Then Ada will have to switch the TV off, eh?"

She shook her head again.

"So you'll tell mummy right?"

"You won't be my friend again" Her face was pale. "And I won't like you as dad liked aunty Chioma!"

"How does your dad like aunty Chioma?"

Silence.

"How do you know he likes her?"

She jumped on the cushion, making me cringe as my buttocks shook at the sinking pressure her jumps were creating.

"Daddy said. I like you so much. Daddy said I like you a lot and a lot"
She said spreading her hands in the air.

I could feel mum's heart jump into her stomach as her countenance changes from bad to worse.

As for me, I just felt disgusted and indifferent. I wanted to be surprised and maybe angry, but I wasn't. I was just normal.

But then my thoughts went haywire and for long moments, I couldn't stop myself from thinking.

Was this why he has insisted on going for school run?

Was this why he rejected the idea of a school bus?

Was this the reason for his change in attitude and late comings?

Many questions were running through my mind but one that stood out was "Who's aunty Chioma?

Deep down my heart, I kept praying it isn't who I think it is. My guess was Zara's class teacher! The truth is that I'd smelt this friction between them but had innocently cautioned myself since I truly hoped dad has changed; I wanted to give him a brand new chance. I was wrong.

"Ada!" Mum bellowed.

I jumped out from my misery thoughts and turned to face a broken mum.

"Tell me my daughter, is there anything unusual about your dad and Zara's teacher?" She asked searching my face for clues. Immediately mum mentioned Zara's teacher, I knew it was my confirmation.

"Nothing ma! None that I know of" I replied keeping a blank face.

I knew in my heart my initial suspicions were right and that I was stupid not to have listen to my spirit. How I hate disobeying my instincts.

"I will dig it mum, just relax." I paused looking up to hold her gaze. "Maybe there's an explanation for all of this. Maybe it isn't what we're thinking so lets wish for the best mum, ok?" I consoled her.
******

The next day dad dropped us at school, I stayed back at the pre-
nursery section to see what would happen but dad left in a haste without even saying good morning to Zara's teacher. I began to think maybe Zara overheard wrongly, so  I left to my class with a huge part of this burden lifted off my chest.

After school, dad came as usual to pick us up. I was at our section when a security man came to inform me that my dad was around and waiting.

Dad was parked very close to the gate and as I made the curve through the dwarf fence, I could see his frame sitting with all intensity on his seat. I could make out Zara who was crouched behind him, maybe asleep.

I walked behind the car which gave me a bit of an edge since he wouldn't see me unless he makes use of his side mirror, which he was unfortunate not to be paying attention to. I wanted to surprise him cos I truly loved how he gasps whenever I do that.

Moving past the nursery block, I marched towards the gate nonchalantly when I suddenly noticed a shadowy movement, like two bigger heads swaying sideways as though in a fit of laughter. My heart throbbed faster and I increased my pace.

Dad was the first to see me and just then Miss Chioma, Zara's class teacher stepped out of the car.

I frowned.

I didn't offer her any greeting but quietly greeted my dad.

"You were running late so I decided to keep your dad company. What kept you so long?" She asked with this wide smile, her thirty two showing with ease.

I acted dumb and dad was quick to notice I was displeased. He knew I have a sixth sense and could spot when he is misbehaving.

He thanked her casually and started the car. I stepped into the back seat and slammed the door shut. He stared at me through his rear mirror but I was quick to avoid his gaze.

He slowly pulled the gear to 'D', stepped on the throttle and we jerked forward, with the car moving slowly and nearer the gate.

Then we heard mild screams from behind with the gateman also waving us to a stop. Dad hit the break and we jolted forward. Worried, I slid around to view what the noise was all about through the rear windscreen, but was disappointed to see Miss Chioma walking towards us, with what seemed to be Zara's school bag swaying as she walked hurriedly towards us.

"Emy she forgot her bag, I mean your little daughter" She said with a smile while handing it over to my dad.

"His name is Mr Emeka, please get it right next time. I'm sure you don't just go around addressing your pupil's parents by their first or pet name" I said with all seriousness. She was shocked, her face embalmed with hot embarrassment. Jolting back to reality, she scurried away and dad with one glance towards me, brought the car back to life, and drove out of the gate.

After two minutes of awkward and silent drive home, dad cleared his throat to get my attention. When I impulsively glanced at him, he began "Ada what is it again?" He asked feigning ignorance

"Hope you are not planning on hurting mum again because this time  I will never forgive you!" I said and kept mute to all his preaching. I wasn't ready for pet talks.

Back home I didn't say a word to mum cos all I have were mere speculations and nothing concrete like a verifiable solid evidence. Mum has to remain in the dark until I get a tangible evidence. I was already creating plans for that.

"Zara come do your homework. And Now!"Mum yelled, trying to sound as mean as she could which to my opinion wasn't good enough. She was sitting at the diner her eyes fixed on the texts scattered all over it.

Zara's zebra themed school bag laid on the diner with a creative writing text laying comfortably on it. A blue exercise book rocked the entire space beside the bag with different colors of crayon crazily littered on there.

Walking into the kitchen the umpteenth time, I shook my head in anger as my eyes took in the dinning table.

"Isn't she the one who brought all these out?" I asked mum who just held out her palms for me.

"She even came tugging and pulling me off the bed where I'd laid down to sleep, begging me to come help with her assignment. Now I'm here and she's hell bent on frustrating me.

I walked out from the kitchen and made my way into sitting room, my buttocks finding the leather comfy as I slumped into it.

"And don't go looking for her mum" I said a bit louder so she could hear me. "she'll come around once she figures you both aren't playing any more"

Less than twenty minutes later, Zara trots out, gently joining mum at the diner. Seeing my sister, mum faked a yawn and pretended to be sleepy.

"Let's start mummy"

"Oh you won't write today baby. I'm so very tired" She replied laying her head on the table.

"Pleaseeeee" Zara begged.

"No more plays? Running around?"

Zara nodded.

"Pinky finger?" Mum joked and Zara brings out her right palm, holding out her littlest finger and lacing it with mum's. They laughed.

Mum picked up her bag to check for her eraser but Zara scurried off almost immediately, laughing and running from being caught.

This part of Zara wasn't fun to me, though I'm certain she believes it's a very fun way to live. Finally lifting myself off the couch and catching up with her, I dragged her to a surprisingly teary mum.

She was holding and staring at an envelope as tears raced down her cheeks.

"What now mum?" I asked putting Zara down who quickly scurried off as soon as her foot touched the tiled floor. She was still laughing wildly.

Mum held out the envelope out to me and I gently slid it off her fingers.

The envelope contained a love card and a hand written note addressed to my dad. The note read:

"You make me come alive whenever your lips find mine. I love you. Forever!"

Mum was sobbing still. Heartbroken. Devastated.

As for me, I felt disappointed and less of a child. Maybe my dad doesn't love Zara and I which is why he takes it out on mum. But he used to love us, so when did he change?

My mind bled blood for my mum and I silently prayed to God to uphold her. Through this one at least.

"Not only did your father choose to cheat, he also turned your sister into a mole" Mum said amidst tears.

I was heartbroken. I was very weak and right then realized our family can never be rebuilt again.

Mum cried bitterly with pain and torture tugging constantly at her heart. After crying for some minutes, she wiped her eyes and pretended she'd seen nothing.
******

Hi all

So here it is.  A new chapter

What's your honest feeling towards this book and it's message?

Is Nneka doing anything wrong to deserve this?

What would you advise Nneka if you were to meet in person?

Do you feel like punching anyone?

I'm sorry but I won't be posting a new chapter tomorrow and next. Another chapter will up by Friday.

Make me happy by voting, commenting  sharing and recommending.

Thanks 😍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125 24 20
After the 3 weeks orientation program of the NYSC, I was posted to a secondary school at Oyan for the one year service. I was given a room on the sch...
13.5K 606 23
Y/N pov: I was sitting in my room as always while my eyes were filled with tears of sorrowness after seeing my husband in the arms of other women wh...
86.1K 3.8K 20
I limped towards the kitchen after sending him an email, that I'm on leave today. I couldn't even able to walk properly as I was feeling sore down th...
706 96 11
My life began in simplicity. I yearned for what any average girl would dream to become, in a world where expectations flourish, yet still being gulli...