Falling Slowly

By Lil_Whistle

"Take this sinking boat, and point it home. We've still got time" [Ben Cook x Original Character] More

Cast & Such
Pt.1|Ch.1
Pt.1|Ch.2
Pt.1|Ch.3
Pt.1|Ch.4
Pt.1|Ch.5
Pt.1.|Ch.6
Pt.1|Ch.7
Pt.1|Ch.8
Pt.1|Ch.9
Pt.1|Ch.10
Pt.1|Ch.11
Pt.1|Ch.12
Pt.1|Ch.13
Pt.1|Ch.14
Pt.2|Ch.1
Pt.2|Ch.2
Pt.2|Ch.3
Pt.2|Ch.4
Pt.2|Ch.5
Pt.2|Ch.6
Pt.2|Ch.7
Pt.2|Ch.8
Pt.2|Ch.9
Pt.2|Ch.10
Pt.2|Ch.11
Pt.2|Ch.12
Pt.2|Ch.13
Pt.3|Ch.1
Pt.3|Ch.2
Pt.3|Ch.3
Pt.3|Ch.4
Pt.3|Ch.5
Pt.3|Ch.6
Pt.3|Ch.7
Pt.3|Ch.8
Pt.3|Ch.9
Pt.3|Ch.10
Pt.3|Ch.11
Pt.3|Ch.12
Pt.3|Ch.13
Pt.3|Ch.14
Pt.3|Ch.15
Pt.3|Ch.16
Pt.3|Ch.17

Pt.2|Ch.14

1K 28 67
By Lil_Whistle

•••••Austyn's Perspective

About five more days had passed since I'd kind of come back from the dead.

Ben had scarcely left Sky and I's apartment since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd ended up sleeping on the couch a night or two.

I'd followed his instructions diligently: no skipping meals and no staying up later than nine o'clock, and by that fifth day, I was deemed well enough to go back to the theater.

"...and if you get hungry or tired, let Josh know right away, and please," Ben breathed the word in an exasperated tone, "please don't try to sing 'Watch What Happens' yet."

"Why not?" I crossed my arms. "You're afraid I'll faint when I hit the high note?"

"No," he sighed, "I just don't think you should strain yourself that much yet. Is that fair?"

"You're being overprotective." I rolled my eyes. "But yes, that's fair."

"Good." He pressed his lips to the tip of my nose and, like always, I smiled. "Have fun."

I nodded. "But don't do anything."

He closed his eyes, exhaling slowly. "Why do I even try?"

"Don't worry about anything." I kissed his lips and stood up, retrieving my jacket from the hook by the door. "Josh'll look out for me."

Ben glanced up at Josh. "Will you?"

He nodded. "How hard could it be?"

His question earned a groan from Ben and hysterical laughter from Sky in the other room.

"You know I'm actually gonna make you follow his rules today." Josh said as we walked down the stairwell to the parking garage.

"I thought you were my partner in crime," I complained.

He laughed. "I'll gladly accept that title, but Benji was here first, which means that, in this specific scenario, his word beats yours."

I crossed my arms. "That's not fair."

"Well, I hate to break it to you, sweetheart," he said as we climbed into the car, "but life ain't fair."

"Spoken like a true newsie." I mumbled.

"We can still have fun, though." He assured me, glancing over his shoulder and backing out of the parking space. "There are ways of getting around his rules."

I raised an eyebrow, considering the idea. "Such as?"

"A pair of new shoes with matching laces! Hey, no acts of violence against the driver!" He screeched when I raised my hand to slap his arm.

"For real, though." I lowered my voice, as if sharing a secret. "Are there ways to get around his rules?"

A familiar voice answered me before Josh could.

"No, there are not."

Josh and I jumped in our seats, before turning around to discover that Aiden sat in the back, with her legs crossed and her hands folded neatly in her lap.

"Not while I'm around, anyway." She continued with a sweet smile.

"How did you get in my car?" Josh asked, his voice coming out of his mouth a terrified squeak.

She shrugged. "It was just a precaution, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth the trouble."

"No, I don't think you understand." Josh shook his head. "How did you get in my car—"

"Did Ben ask you to do it?" I interrupted.

"We'll put it this way," she pointed at me, "your boyfriend owes me big time. First I break the law for him, and then I broke into Josh's car—"

"How did you break into my car?" Josh cried in distress. "I'm so confused!"

She shrugged again. "I've had a bit of practice, but that's another story for another time."

He took a deep breath, stopping the car in the Nederlander theater's parking lot. "That was traumatic."

"It won't happen again, as long as Austyn follows Ben's rules for the next few days."

Josh looked down at me with pleading eyes as we walked through the main doors. "Please follow Ben's rules."

I glanced back at Aiden. "Do I have to?"

She stuck her lip out and wrapped her arms around Joshua. "If you won't do it for yourself, at least do it for him."

"Fine," I relented. "But I'd rather start a revolt."

Aiden laughed. "Oh, sweetie, there are many things I'd like to revolt against, but sometimes you've just gotta suck it up."

Josh frowned at her. "But the things you want to revolt against all have to do with legality."

She dismissed his comment with a wave of her hand. "That's true, but the analogy still clicks."

We made our way down the hall until we reached the rehearsal room, but found it empty.

"Maybe they're in his office." Josh suggested.

My main reason for visiting the theater that day had been to apologize to Mr. Calhoun for disappearing, and to Morgan for having to take my place.

As Josh had predicted, we found the both of them in Mr. Calhoun's office. They were looking over a bunch of documents, but I couldn't make out what they regarded.

I rapped my knuckles against the doorframe.

Morgan looked up, gasping when she saw my face. "You're back!"

"Yeah," I nodded, "I just wanted to swing by and say that I was sorry for you having to step in on short notice—"

"As if I care!" She rushed forward and put her arms around my shoulders. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," I replied, startled by her embrace.

She pulled back, still holding my hands in hers. "Ben called and told us what happened. Last update said you'd gotten sick, and would be out for a few more days than predicted."

"Are you feeling better?" Mr. Calhoun asked, setting the papers down on his desk and joining our conversation.

"I'm feeling much better, thank you."

"Because of Ben's rules." Aiden muttered. I elbowed her in the ribs.

"So," Mr. Calhoun continued, "are you back for good?"

I nodded. "I'm sorry for disappearing like that, it was just," I looked down at the floor, trying to figure out how to explain, "a lot?"

He shook his head. "We're glad to give you as much time off as you needed, but we're definitely relieved that you're doing better."

"Because of Ben's—" I elbowed Aiden again before she could finish.

"As a matter of fact," Morgan began, looking up at Mr. Calhoun, "I believe we had something to talk to you about."

I tilted my head. "You do?"

He gave Morgan a nod, and she let go of me to retrieve one of the papers from his desk.

"We wanted to know if you'd be interested in playing the role of 'Katherine' in the second half of the tour?" She asked hopefully, handing me the sheet of paper.

My eyes scanned the document. "Is this, like, a contract?"

Mr. Calhoun nodded. "For the entirety of the tour, unless you're forced to break it for any reason."

"And this is for understudy, right?"

"No, Morgan would be understudy."

His words echoed against my ears, shocking me to the bone.

I looked up. "What?"

"Morgan would be understudy." He repeated. "You would be the lead."

I had to have heard him wrong. "I'm sorry," I breathed a laugh, shaking my head, "Maybe I'm not as recovered as we thought—"

"He's asking you to be the main Katherine on tour." Aiden said, excitedly placing her hand on my arm.

"Are you?" I glanced at Morgan for confirmation.

She nodded. "Stephanie decided that she isn't going to be a part of the second half of the tour, so it was down to you and me."

"And, you chose me?" I asked.

Mr. Calhoun laughed. "You seem surprised."

I gazed back down at the paper. "You seem to have a talent for catching me off-guard."

"So I'm coming to realize." He shrugged. "Again, the choice is yours."

I felt Josh's eyes on me, and looked up to find him practically bouncing on his heels.

I gave him a helpless expression, but he just shook his head, as if repeating Mr. Calhoun's words.

The choice is yours.

Looking back up at Mr. Calhoun's expectant face, I took a deep breath.

"Well?" He asked eagerly. "What do you say?"

I bit my lip, holding back a smile.

•••••

"When are you gonna tell him?" Josh asked as we reached the apartment door.

"As soon as I can." I replied, stepping through the door.

Aiden nudged me. "That'd be right now."

Ben was sitting in the kitchen where we'd left him. "Aiden," he said when he saw us, "how'd it go?"

"Exactly as planned." She crossed her arms. "I expect my payment soon."

"You'll have it by the end of the week." He nodded at her before turning his gaze to me.

He probably meant to ask me if I'd survived under the regulations, but I'm terrible at acting natural. "What did you do?"

I shrugged, feigning—probably failing at feigning—disinterest. "Why do you ask?"

"Alright," he stood from the chair at the counter and turned to Josh. "What happened?"

He replicated my expression. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

Ben, beyond confused by now, gave up with the two of us. "Aiden?"

"My lips are sealed." She called back.

"You know," Josh lifted his chin condescendingly as he made his way into the kitchen, "it's not very kind to assume the worst of people."

"Nor is it nice to be pretentious." Ben mumbled in response.

"Actually," I lowered my voice, "I do need to talk to you about something."

"I knew it." He pointed to the sliding glass door.

Luckily, Sky's apartment also had a balcony, giving me access to fresh air whenever I desired it.

I slid the door aside and stepped out, and Ben followed me.

"What did you do?" He asked when I'd closed the door behind us.

"It's not bad," I said quickly. "You'll like it...probably."

"Probably?" He shrugged, leaning against the metal railing next to the wall. "Okay, try me."

I slipped my arms around his neck. "So, you know how you're going back on tour in about a month or so?"

He nodded. "We leave in February."

"Well," I spoke the words nonchalantly, "how would you feel about me tagging along?"

He blinked, stared at me for a moment, then narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "You're playing with me."

I shook my head. "No, playing with you would be if I'd teased you by being over-secretive."

"I don't believe you."

I rolled my eyes. "Literally, I can show you the contract if you need."

"Are you seriously coming on tour with us?"

"How many times do you want me to explain this to you?"

"What about school?"

I shrugged. "I guess I'll have to take classes online again."

"And, you're okay with that?"

I nodded. "It'll be fine."

A smile spread across his face. "Didn't I tell you there'd be a way for it to work out?"

"The only reason I didn't believe you was because I didn't think I'd get chosen for the tour." I defended myself. "That's not irrational."

"No, you're right. I'm just enjoying the fact that I was right."

"And the fact that you can't leave me in New York this time?" I teased.

He breathed a laugh, lightly touching his lips to mine. "I am very much enjoying that fact. I guess I should welcome you to the tour cast,"

I laughed. "Thank you, I'm very happy to be a part of it."

"Your mom would be proud of you, you know." He said.

"I think that's why I said 'yes'. I think she'd want me to do it."

"Do it for her, then. Every show, every night."

"I will." I smiled softly.

His bright blue eyes studied me for a moment, before he shook his head. "Have I ever told you that you're beautiful?"

"No, but it's never too late to start."

He laughed, pressing his lips to mine. "You're beautiful."

I slipped a hand through his hair, and kissed him for the third time. "You're not so bad yourself."

He gasped quietly. "You think I'm beautiful?"

"Handsome," I corrected, laughing.

His arms around me tightened, holding me against him in a gentle embrace. "Are you excited for the tour? Really?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "Overly excited. I'll literally get to spend every second of every day with the four of you."

"There's no guarantee it'll be all sunshine and flowers." He warned. "A lot can happen in a tour."

"I've survived worse." I said with a smile, but we both knew it was true. "And whatever happens, I'm almost certain that it won't cause the world to come crumbling down."

"'Almost' is a dangerous word."

I scoffed. "Since when have you been the cautious type?"

He shrugged. "Literally only when it comes to you."

"That's unfortunate."

"You have no idea."

"Lovebirds!" Josh tapped on the sliding glass door. "Sky's about to burn the kitchen down, it's all hands on deck."

"How's Aiden handling that situation?" Ben asked.

"Yeah, that's why we need all hands on deck..."

End of Part 2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 412 19
And then he smiled, and world didn't seem like such a bad place
19.3K 533 19
❝Is this a picture of me?❞ • Newsies Modern AU • { newsies } { newsies ff } { newsies fanfiction } { jack kelly } { katherine plumber } { katherine p...
105K 3.2K 19
(Connor Murphy X Reader) |AU WHERE CONNOR DOES NOT DIE| /Art is not drawn by me, creds to @/cryptidw00rm on tumblr!/
5.6K 219 38
Ineffable (adj.) Too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words. Dylan Potter and Ben Cook could not stand each other from the moment the...