Breaking Free » l.∤.

By phoebe_memeseok

[One Direction + 5sos ft. some AOT characters] Katie is a simple Californian girl. She has a stressful life b... More

Chapter 1 - It Started With A Pie
Chapter 2 - The Follow
Chapter 3 - The Message
Chapter 4 - Sleepovers & Pepsi
Chapter 5 - Breaking The Ice
Chapter 6 - Forbidden
Chapter 7 - Just A Fan
Chapter 8 - Skype
Chapter 10 - Hurricane Eudora
Chapter 11 - College Rescue
Chapter 12 - Hero
Chapter 13 - The Surprise
Chapter 14 - Adonna And Lewis
Chapter 15 - The Concert
Chapter 16 - The Quiet Dinner
Chapter 17 - Broken Friendship
Chapter 18 - Prom & Anime
Chapter 19 - Eleanor's Depression
Chapter 20 - Pain & Darkness
Chapter 21 - Last Hope
Chapter 22 - Ghosts and Pranks
Chapter 23 - Funeral
Chapter 24 - Drunk In Love
Chapter 25 - Harry's Anime Convention
Chapter 26 - Sasha & Levi
Chapter 27 - The Stars Over America
Chapter 28 - 5 Seconds of Ponies & Pervs
Chapter 29 - Kidnapped
Chapter 30 - Las Vegas
Chapter 31 - Katie's Demons
Chapter 32 - Happier Days
Chapter 33 - Broken Free (Final Chapter)

Chapter 9 - The Baked Potato Co.

690 29 14
By phoebe_memeseok

Sasha's POV:

"Sasha, hurry up! The lunch rush is going to be here any minute now and those tables need to be clean!" My boss Mr. Standwell scolded me as I sprayed santizer on tables and scrubbed them clean. His name was fitting, Standwell, all he did was stand there all day telling us what to do while he read magazine. Probably a Playboy one.

I looked over at my co-worker, the only other one here, Levi who was cleaning the tables in a much more thorough way. He had this exact pattern he wiped them down with. It was kind of soothing to watch actually. "No you're doing it wrong!" Levi scolded me suddenly. Hoenstly I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing anymore. "It's a wrist motion, gosh it's like you've never cleaned before." He moved me aside and demonstrated on my table but he got carried away and ended up just cleaning the whole thing. Some might call him a clean freak. "Why don't you go back behind the counter and I'll do the cleaning." He said. I agreed and walked behind the counter.

There weren't any costumers yet, everything was cleaned up and ready, and Mr. Standwell was really into his magazine and eating an apple so I had a few spare moments. I used those moments to check my notifications on my phone.

"Harry_Styles favorited your tweet: First day working at the Baked Potato Co.!!! So excited!!! Love potatoes!!!""

"Harry_Styles has sent you a message"

I rolled my eyes and clicked on it.

"Harry_Styles: Congratulations on the job."

I really don't know what this guy wants from me. He keeps messaging me and favoriting all my tweets.

I know most people would be freaking out because it's the Harry Styles but I'm not most people. I don't think that way. He's just another guy. Yeah, he's a guy that happens to be famous, has a great voice, great personality, and great hair. So what? I know guys like that in the National Guard. I have friends like that. I'm not going to treat Harry here any differently than I would treat one of them. I don't know why but he's coming across as if he expects me to treat him more special than my other followers. I liked him better before fame got to his head.

Or maybe he wasn't really as bad as I thought he was? At this point in my life I just wasn't really interested in falling all over guys. I guess you could blame the National Guard for that. I knew exactly what guys were like now when they're not trying to impress you and it's not very pretty. Not to mention the entire time I was there I was constanly put down for being a woman. There weren't very many women there and the guys didn't think we could do the job as well as they could.

It's no wonder I haven't had any interest in guys since I got back.

Oh I should probably write him back before Mr. Standwell notices I'm just standing here.

"Me: Thanks. :)"

Just as I was about to put my phone away...

You guessed it.

"Harry_Styles: So are you at your job right now?"

Just as I read that, a costumer walked in and Mr. Standwell turned towards me, seeing me on my phone. "Sasha, there's a costumer." He said, smiling sarcastically at me.

"Me: Yes and I can't talk I have to help costumers."

I slid my phone into my pocket and smiled at the lady and her young son as they approached the counter. "Hi, welcome to the Baked Potato Company. What can I get for you?"

"Mommy, I want a pretzel. I don't want a potato." The little boy said as he tugged on his mother's blouse. The mother and boy argued about potatoes for several seconds while my phone was buzzing in my pocket like crazy. Who the hell keeps messaging me?! I wanted so badly to turn off the ringer but Mr. Standwell was staring at me, judging my performace. I couldn't risk losing this job just because of Twitter.

"Ok, I've made a decision." The mother said as she opened up her purse, pulling out several dollar bills. "I want a small salad and 3 of your baked potatoes with extra sour cream." She handed me the money and I walked to the back. It was an easy job. You just take the foil-wrapped potatoes out of the steamer using tongs and set them in the plastic tray for the costumer. Then you can add any additional toppings they want. How simple? I placed the first potato on the tray and realized something seemed wrong. It wasn't cooked at all!

Someone forgot to plug in the damn steamer!

Oh wait, I was supposed to do that wasn't I?

I quickly rounded up the three potatoes and threw them in the microwave. I walked to the front to stall the costumer but...

THERE WERE 9 MORE COSTUMERS IN LINE NOW.

This is bad.

And I still haven't plugged in the steamer!

"I'll be right back!" I said cheerfully and calmly walked to the back room again. I plugged in the steamer and set it to high, opened up a new tub of butter to spread on the potatoes in the microwave and when everything seemed it might be ok, my phone started buzzing wildly again!

Did I ever mention I have a short tempter? I do. I really do.

At this point I was steaming more than the potatoes.

I pulled out my phone to see what was going on.

"Harry_Styles: Let me know when yuo have a free time to talk. :)"

"Harry_Styles: Sorry I meant *you."

"Harry_Styles: Like on your break or something like that?"

"Harry_Styles: If you want to, of course."

"Harry_Styles. :)"

I was a bit furious now.

"Me: I'm at work, I don't have time to chat!"

"Harry_Styles: Well maybe when you get off work then?"

"Me: No I just want to concentrate on my job right now. I don't have time to goof off with people."

"Harry_Styles: But you're talking to me right now"

Oh he did not just do that.

"Me: Yeah, because my phone keeps buzzing when you message me and I'm going to get in trouble!"

Just then I was harsly reminded where I was when the microwave kind of...sort of...exploded. It wasn't a very big explosion but an explosion is an explosion.

And the leftover microwave scraps were on fire of course.

I rushed to find the fire extinguisher under the counter and put the fire quickly. It wasn't quick enough apparently. The sprinkler system detected the smoke and started spraying water into the room. I could hear the sound of angry costumers panicing and rushing out of the store and Mr. Standwell was standing over me. The two of us drenched in water.

He was giving me a death glare and then said the obiouvs. "You're. Fired."

Katie's POV:

"Are you kidding? You Skyped with him? For real?" Emily asked me as the two of us walked to the park together after scool. I had my laptop in it's case under my arm so we could make our next video for this week out there. I'd have to log into the wifi on my phone in order to upload it out here but whatever. We decided we weren't going to let our parents stop us from making our weekly videos and ultimately from being friends.

"Yes! It was the weirdest thing." I laughed as we sat down at the picnic tables in the middle of the park.

"I cannot believe my best friend is actually living a fanfiction." Emily said as she pulled a bag of Cheeto's out of her bag and started eating them. "So what's he like? Is he the same as you'd thought he'd be?"

"Yeah...well, I think. He's just as nice as he seems but he was way more interested in my life than I expected him to be. He called Danny 'shallow'." I said, laughing while I opened my computer up.

"Well that's not far from the truth..." Emily mumbled and I glared at her. "Why would you talk about Danny with him?"

"I don't know...he asked."

"What else did you talk about?

"I read my book to him after that and he fell asleep."

"Awww." Emily cooed and I rolled my eyes at her. "That's so cute."

I started blushing and I wanted to get the subject away from this. "Anyway, are you ready?" Emily nodded and I started the program.

"Hey everyone. Well as you can see we're out here in the lovely park." Me and Emily turned around and mellow-dramatically pointed to the trees and bushes behind us.

"We'll probably be filming most of our videos in the park from now on." Emily said.

"Emily's got a bag of Cheetos!" Emily held up her bag as I spoke. "And I've got um...I've got a Snickers bar!" I pulled the bar out of my book bag. "So let's talk about that."

We finished our video after about an hour and I connected my computer to my phone's wifi so I could upload it to our channel.

1%

.

.

.

2%

Wow.

"Wow." Emily said the words I was thinking.

"Now that we've got internet let's check Twitter for awhile." I logged into Twitter and I logged into FB and got ready to post the link of our new video to our pages. When I got to Twitter I realized something. Louis hadn't messaged me at all today. He always said 'goodmorning.' Did I do something wrong? Was last night on Skype not what he had expected?

"What?" Emily looked at me.

"Huh?" I looked back at her.

"Your face. I can tell when you're thinking about something." She really could.

I sighed. "Louis hasn't talked to me since last night. I don't know why. He always messages me in the morning."

"Well they are the biggest band in the world. He's probably just busy."

"Probably." I nodded and minimized the Twitter tab.

"Or, here's an idea..." Emily reach her hand in front of me and clicked back to the Twitter tab. "This is just a thought but maybe you should be the first to message him for a change?"

I hadn't realized it until now but she was absolutely right. He was the only one that ever initiated a conversation. I felt terrible, what kind of a friend was I?

So I wrote him right then and there while Emily creepily stared at the screen from over my shoulder.

"Me: I had a nice time talking to you last night."

Emily looked at me as if she was approving my message. She opened her mouth to say something, probably suggest another message but she was interupted by a single beep.

"Louis Tomlinson is requesting a video call"

"That was fast." My eyes widened as I read the words on the screen. I guess there were definitely no hard feelings then? I didn't even know I was still logged into Skype.

"Oh my God answer it, I wanna see him!" Emily literally squealed. She does that sometimes. She just squeals.

But...

We're in the middle of the damn park?!

Niall's POV:

"So then she has the balls to say it's my fault she got fired! Can you believe that!" Harry ranted on and on about how he pissed off Sasha as he paced back and forth in front of us. I swear all of these boys have lost it. Louis was attracted to Katie whether he's aware of it or not and he's also dating Eleanor, Harry is attracted to Sasha, Liam has Sophia, and Zayn has Perrie. In fact Perrie was sitting on Zayn's lap right now while they texted away on their phones. Couple are gross. I felt awkward being the loner without a girlfriend but I liked it. I don't think I want to end up like them. Love was doing weird things to my friends...

"Well maybe you shouldn't have kept on texting her after she asked you to stop?" I stated the obvious and everyone looked at me.

Harry glared at me. "She didn't exactly tell me to stop."

"She said she didn't want to talk right now and basically that she wasn't interested in you at all. I don't know what you were expecting her to say, mate." Liam laughed.

Harry groaned and sat down at a chair by himself. "Ugh, you guys couldn't possibly understand."

"Ok this is kind of weird but um..." Louis sat up in his chair suddenly and we all looked at him as he mumbled out words. "Katie's birthday is coming up soon and I kinda want to get something for her. I don't know what to do. I know it's stupid because we haven't even known each other for very long but..."

"I don't think it's stupid." Perrie said. "I think it's cute. She's a sweet and friendly girl, she'll be thrilled."

"You should get her concert tickets." Zayn said and everyone agreed.

"No I don't want to get her that. That seems so conceited. Like 'I'm giving you the gift of seeing me'." Louis said and he was probably right.

"Clothes maybe? Girls like that." Liam suggested.

"Just don't get her anything more romantic than you'd give Eleanor." I joked and Louis nodded.

"Ooh, I know." Perrie voice got a little higher. She did that when she had a good idea. "I have this one scarf that would just go perfect with her green eyes and hair. I'll find it later and maybe you can..."

"Wait a minute!" Louis stood up and marched over to where Perrie and Zayn were sitting. Zayn looked terribly guily and almost scared and Perrie covered her mouth with her hands. What was going on here? Did I miss something? "How do you know what she looks like?"

"Um..." Perrie looked at Zayn and then looked at Harry.

"Why are you looking at him?" Louis turned to Harry who tried his best to smile innocently which made him look even more guilty. "What's going on here?" Louis looked back at Perrie.

"Now, Lou it's not her fault." Zayn put his arms around Perrie, almost jokingly protecting her from him. "We um, or rather I might have found her Youtube channel."

"Why didn't you tell me? I haven't even seen her Youtube channel." Louis crossed his arms.

"Well we thought maybe you already knew and didn't want to tell us?" Zayn said.

"Wait a minute." Perrie stood up and got up in Lou's face. He actually looked a bit intimidated by her gesture. "How do you know what she looks life if you hadn't seen her videos?"

"Yeah!" Harry agreed and jumped out of his seat. Liam and I were just watching this as if it were a soap opera playing out before our eyes.

Louis didn't know what to say and now he had that guily look as well. "Um, well..." He dropped his arms from their crossed position and tried to avoid looking Perrie or anyone in the eye. Perrie was still staring at him intensely. "We um, we might have...done a video call...on Skype..." He whispered out that last word.

"Oh God, Louis." Liam burried his face in a pillow on the couch. Harry sat back down. Zayn sighed. I didn't do anything. Perrie kept staring at him, speechless as if he hadn't even answered her.

"You're Skyping with her now too? Since when have we done that with fans?!" Harry asked.

"Well at least I'm not harassing her at her job." Louis turned and quickly glared at Harry. Harry didn't protest because he knew he was just as guilty as Louis. Just then Louis' phone buzzed loudly causing us all to look up at him.

"It's her isn't it?" Liam mumbled, his face still burried in the pillow.

"Yes." Louis said quietly and read his messages. He smiled as he replied and we all analized his body language while he was talking to her. Or maybe I was the only one doing that? I don't know. He certainly did seem happy talking to her though. Almost as happy as he was with El. What's so special about this girl I wonder?

Suddenly I realied Perrie wasn't in the room anymore. I never saw her leave? I glanced to my right and saw her sneaking into Louis' room

'This looked fun. I had to join her.

I sneaked out of the room while Liam and Zayn continued to lecture Louis. When I got into Louis' bedroom Perrie was slowly opening his laptop on his desk. She quickly noticed me and gestured for me to come in.

"Does he have a password?" I whispered as I sat down on the bed beside her.

"Nope." She giggled quietly. She knew exactly what she was doing and she clicked on the Skype icon. He was still signed it. No password on the computer and he doesn't sign out of his programs? Louis was such an idiot sometimes. Or maybe too trusting. Same thing really.

Perrie pointed to the words on the column of him and Katie's chat.

"Call duration: 1:08:23"

"They talked for over an hour?!" Perrie whisper shouted.

"Hey where's Perrie?" I heard Zayn say loudly in the living room.

"Oh shit." Perrie looked at me. We stood up and were attempting to set the computer back on the desk but Louis was already peering around the corner and caught us red handed. Damn, what was he the Flash or something?

"What are you doing?!" Louis' voice cracked and he tried to pull the computer back from us but Perrie had a tight grip on it.

"We're just looking!"

"Give it back!" Louis pulled on it again, this time ripping it from Perrie's hands.

But not before she accidentally hit a button.

"Oh my God it's really you!" Perrie grabbed the computer back from Louis and we all looked very confused as to why she was talking to the computer. She sat down on Louis bed again and smiled at the screen. Had she just lost her mind?

"Hi." Two female voices said simultaneously on the computer. We all knew who it was. Perrie accidentally called Katie while tugging on the computer.

Literally all of us jumped on Louis' bed at the same time, includding Louis, to see the sight. We all sat behind Louis and Perrie and looked over their shoulders at the two smiling faces on the screen.

Louis pushed Perrie aside a little so he could see the screen. "I'm so sorry, love. Perrie and Niall were messing with my computer and called you by mistake." Louis glared at me and Perrie and I shurgged at him.

"It's fine." Katie said very calmly while Emily was giggling next to her. These girls were actually really adorable. I can see their appeal.

"It was no mistake. I wanted to see the famous Katie and Emily." Perrie giggled and the girls giggled along with her. "Zayn and I watched your videos, girls. They're very nice."

"Thank you." The girls both said, not quite in unison that time.

"Hey, I did too?" Harry protested.

"And Harry as well." Perrie added.

"It's nice to see you girls finally. Louis talks about you so much." Liam said, earning a glare from Louis. So much glaring in this band. Mostly from Louis. Such sass.

"Now is that Emily? I haven't seen your videos yet so I don't know." I asked.

"Oh yeah, this is Emily everyone." Katie said, sliding away from the webcam slightly so we could see Emily better. She waved at us.

"Hi Emily." We all said in unison. We were good at unison.

"What are you guys doing?" Paul's voice startled us all terribly and we jumped at the sound of his voice as he stood in the doorway, looking us over weirdly.

"We're just um..." Liam's voice trailed off as he was a terrible liar.

"Watching cat videos." I said quickly.

"Silly little kitties." Harry giggled in a very dorky way.

"Ok..." Paul said in belief. Our randomness wasn't really surprising to anyone anymore. "Well Liam, Harry, and Zayn are wanted in wardrobe." Paul said and walked away from the door. The three crawled out of bed and said goodbye to the girls. Harry whispered something about asking Katie to tell Sasha he was sorry and we all rolled out eyes at him. The boys followed Paul outsideand I quickly ran out of the room after them and ran back with a bag of Cheeto's. All this excitement was making me hungry.

However boredom makes me equally hungry.

I squeezed in next to Perrie and Louis and looked at Katie and Emily who weren't speaking at the moment. Perrie still had the computer on her lap. I didn't know why everyone was so quiet but I took advantage of the opportunity to open the noisy bag of Cheeto's. Louis and Perrie were eyeing my bag of Cheeto's, judging me silently.

"Oh my God, Cheeto's!" Emily shouted and held up a Cheeto in front of the camera.

YES SOMEONE FINALLY UNDERSTANDS ME.

"Yeah baby!" I pulled a Cheeto out of the bag and pushed it against the screen as if we were tapping our Cheeto's together.

Katie laughed a little and Louis scoffed at the gesture and pushed my hand away. "Do not get my screen all cheesy, Horan."

I shrugged and stuffed the Cheeto in my mouth.

"May I ask why you girls are in the park?" Louis asked.

Katie and Emily exchanged a look before looking back at the camera. "Um, well we're not supposed to be making videos anymore so we're doing it in secret in the middle of the park." Katie tried to laugh at the situation but Emily's face remained straight.

"That's so not fair." Perrie said.

"I know." Emily agreed. "Katie's parents don't want us to hang out together anymore. I don't want to be alone..."

"Soon you two will be 18 and can make your own decisions." Perrie said.

Katie agreed. "Exactly. Until then we're stuck in the park I'm afraid."

A loud rumble of thunder echoed over the speakers and both girls looked up at the sky.

"Was that thunder?" I asked.

"Yeah it was." Emily said.

"You girls better go." Perrie said.

"I can't afford to let this computer get wet." Katie said as she stood up and unfolded her computer case.

"Emily, will you message me your Skype name on Twitter?" Not sure why I said that but she seemed really nice. They both did. I was worried I wouldn't get to talk to her again. The way she looked after she said she didn't want to be alone. It made me feel this weird pain I hadn't felt before. I felt like I understood her pain. And Emily was...really beautiful. She didn't deserve to be alone. I was definitely going to add them both on Skype after this.

"Sure, Niall." Emily said while smiling at me. Her smile was very pretty.

"Talk again soon, alright Katie?" Louis said, smiling proudly at her. It was like he was showing her off to us.

"Of course, Lou." She smiled and they both said goodbye before ending the call.

"So what did you think of them?" Louis looked at both of us.

"I like her a lot. She's really sweet." Perrie said.

"Niall what are you doing?" Louis looked at me. I was facing my phone and ignoring them both.

"Waiting for Emily to send me her Skype name." I said. Did I really just say that?

Oh shit, I think I'm starting to understand Louis' problem.

(A/N) Sorry this was kind of a boring chapter. Drama is coming soon though so stay tuned!

I MEAN IT.

DRAMA. IS. COMING. SOON.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 1.6K 126
I write a bunch of preferences, some mine, some not. You can always request one if you would like a speciel one :)
64.9K 2.4K 37
Zayn send you a DM.
4.4K 193 33
The typical high school Harry fanfic! *ON HOLD* All Rights Reserved To @larryoverall
11K 497 37
in which a complicated girl meets a boy who turns her world upside down