The Night Children

By Leahwhitefang

She was breaking, he was broken. She was misinterpreted, he was recognised. She was a nobody, he was everybod... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilogue
Authors Remarks
The Hunted Children
Reviews + Awards

Chapter 5

243 27 14
By Leahwhitefang

Edited

"Mum?" I called, knocking loudly against her locked door. I glanced down at my watch, a frown piercing my lips. "Mum come on, its ten o'clock in the morning. You need to get out of bed."

There was an inaudible response which only made my skin prickle with annoyance. I suppressed a sigh and retrieved the butter knife I had placed at the ready in the kitchen. Using it to unlock the door, I then discarded it with a clatter.

As soon as I entered the room, I was hit with the smell of stale air and musky clothes. Crinkling my nose in disgust, I blinked to adjust my eyes to the abrupt darkness. Clothes were chucked carelessly around the room, collecting into large piles that reeked of body odour. Water bottles littered the floor, some wrinkled to hint they had been stepped on. The curtains had been pulled over the large window on the left of the room, a tiny slice of sunlight just touching the rim of the roof.

I turned to the mound of blankets that I knew was Mum, picking my way through various objects to reach her. Her breathing wasn't heavy, so I knew she was awake, her stillness an indicator she hoped I would give up and walk away. But I was used to her tricks, and now I had grown tired of them.

"Mum, get up." I said sharply, my voice edged with irritation. My sympathy had drained up, along with what little wages I had earned this week. While she locked herself up in a breezeless room, I had to ensure the electricity bill was paid off.

Mum remained silent, her head covered by a thick blanket that was soaked with sweat. I reached out a hand, hoisting the blanket off her curled form with an annoyed look.

"Renee." She growled, reaching out to grab the blankets back.

"Get up," I repeated, feeling my pupils narrow into slits. "You've been in here for nearly a week."

She looked awful, her hair splayed out into ragged knots that clung to the back of her neck. Her eyes were dull and lifeless, ringed with dark shadows. Her lips were dry and cracked, most likely due to the little moisture in the air.

"I don't care." She hissed through clenched teeth. She gave up her struggle for the blanket and instead collapsed back down on her side, staring off into the distance.

"Well I do." I retaliated. "I've organised for you to meet with your friends in an hour. Get up now or I'll drag you there myself."

She let out a long sigh, one that belonged to child more than a thirty-year-old woman. Her face was slackened of any emotion, the only indicator that she heard me was the curling of her fingers in the bed sheets.

"I don't want to." She finally replied, her response muffled by her pillow.

"And I didn't ask if you wanted to or not." I hissed back, anger stabbing at my words. "I'm sick of this game. You can't go and hide in your room every time Dad is mentioned in a conversation."
She didn't reply, although she did blink slowly. Running out of patience, I reefed at her hand, hurling her to an upright position. She made a disgruntle noise, attempting to shake off my grip but I let my fingers dig into her wrist. "Don't make this harder for yourself."

Her eyes flicked to mine and for once she seemed to realise I wasn't joking. Her chin jutted stubbornly, her pupils forming into slits.

"Have a shower, eat some breakfast and do something outside." I finished, letting go of her hand so it hung loosely by her side. "If you haven't done any of these things in ten minutes, I'll tell the girls to come and collect you regardless of how you look."
She shot me a venomous look but then slowly rose to her feet. She said nothing as she ambled to the shower. She shut the door loudly so it banged against the doorframe, enough for it to rattle to stop.

I breathed in a long breath, letting the stale air fill my lungs until my eyes watered. I rubbed the area where my headache throbbed on my forehead, the distant sting of remorse settling into my mind.

Swallowing, I turned to begin to clean up after Mum's mess, collecting clothes and balling wrappers into my fists. This wasn't the first time I had done this, and it definitely wouldn't be the last.

I didn't know how long she was going to behave like this, but if it was like last time, it would be a few weeks. The time before this, she had found a discarded envelope addressed to Dad behind the kitchen counter, its wax sealing unopened. She had stared at the letter for hours before walking to her room. I didn't see her for two weeks after that.

Back then, her moods came as frequent as waves on the coast. In a moment she would be angry, lashing out into furious fits until I called our neighbours to hold her down. But then, as quickly as her episodes came, her mood would change. Within an instant she would return to cradling the photo of Dad in her arms, sobbing silently until blood seeped from her nose.

This current stage was the emotionless stage, the stage that came after the anger. I used to think this was the easiest stage to handle, but I soon realised I was far from right. It was when she was emotionless that she reached for the razors in the cabinet, or coiled her sheets together into a long rope. It was in this stage that she tried to throw herself into the lake when the moon was high enough to allow her to shy into the shadows. Or when she swallowed enough pills to fall into an endless sleep, her skin drained of colour.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, clenching the pile of clothes in my hands. I knew one day I would be too late to find her, the bathroom tiles stained red or her stomach already poisoned by drugs. But at this point in time, I had to distract her from the dangerous thoughts that crept into her mind when no one was around to protect her from herself.

                                                                        ....

By the time Mum was fully dressed, fed and showered, the sun had risen to its peak. I packed her into the car, ensuring she didn't return home until at least five in the evening. She only frowned at me icily, her gaze as sharp as flint but she didn't argue. She already knew that it would get her nowhere.

She drove off without a word, her hands white on the steering wheel as she accelerated. With a frown, I typed the message to the group chat, stating that I had successfully got her out of the house and she should arrive any minute.

I always hated asking her friends to meet with her, I knew the gossip they spread around town. They only agree to distract her out of pity, not out of kindness. They would engulf her with news, force her to shop and steer her away from her dark thoughts before passing her back to me. She would usually be too exhausted to stir trouble and instead fall asleep straight away, the dark thoughts pushed back until another day.

Now that the house was free, I made my way to the kitchen. I fetched whatever meat my hands touched, creating a pile on the kitchen table. After putting the meat into the microwave, I let my thoughts drift to previous events.

I wondered why Aaron was worked up over the mishap between him and Miss Anderson, or more so, him and Isaac. I didn't take him as someone who got angry frequently, but I had seen the way he stared at Isaac, like he wanted nothing more than to wrap his fingers around Isaacs neck.

The beeping of the microwave interrupted my thoughts. I took the meat out, the hot plate burning my fingers but my thoughts were elsewhere.

Isaac intrigued me, and apparently Aleena too. He had a confident aurora to him, one that followed him naturally. I wondered if his careless characteristic was to hide something, or merely because he sought the comforts of emotionless conversations between girls.

I remembered the way his eyes scanned Chelsea's, his pupils diluted to study her. It was like he was examining a book, the text far too complex to understand. Or maybe she was just too confusing to comprehend, which wasn't surprising. How many lost brain cells does it take for you to throw yourself at any guy who glances in your general direction?

By the time I reached the edge of the forest, my headache had grown to pound against my skull. I felt the camera bump against my stomach, the band digging into the back of my neck. I had made sure to retrieve it after Mum had left in hopes of eliminating any unexpected questions about its current use.

Gritting my teeth to stop them from chattering, I bent down low to the snow, enough for the snowflakes to brush my jeans. I placed the plate in its usual spot, watching as the snow melted instantly around it, forming a condensated circle.

It was interesting to know something as beautiful as snow could be dominated by something so common. The crystallisation of a snowflake could be destroyed by the flicker of a candle. The twinkle of a snowy leaf could be burnt to a crisp by the presence of a blaze. The gleam of an icicle could be extinguished by the sensation of a sun ray. In its own way, beauty can be seen as a weakness.

I crouched for several minutes, my breaths escaping into thin clouds to rise towards the darkened sky. My confidence started to seep away along with the heat within my body. My knees shook with the effort to remain upright. I gave in with a frown and sat down, snow immediately dampening my jeans but its coolness was nothing in comparison to the wind that began to carry across the yard.

The sound of skittered movements suddenly rustled from within the forests shadows. I sucked in a breath, my entire body stiffening. The noise came again, closer this time before yellow eyes peeked from behind a tree trunk. His ears pricked forwards at my presence, his nose working to catch the scent of the meat.

"Hey boy," I whispered softly, an involuntary smile touching my lips. He blinked in response, his head cocking slightly as he studied me.

I took a wolfs beauty for granted. There was so much power in their physic but they held themselves with such grace. They were slim, but within their bones they carried the wounds of a top predator. They looked harmless from afar, their eyes a deceitful trap for those who were stupid enough to fall for their trickery.

However, even I knew that with their grace comes a wildness that is only found in them. Their jaws, lined with canines sharp enough to crush bones was well hidden behind their sleek muzzle. Razor claws remained concealed behind tuffs of fur within their paws, at the ready for anyone who dared challenge them. That was why they defied their domesticated cousins, the dog.

Because dogs killed for a human's approval, wolves killed for survival.

I blinked out of my trance and motioned towards the meat that had cooled significantly due to the harsh weather. "Would you like something to eat?"

He glanced towards the meat and hesitantly padded forward to snatch a slim piece of ham. Taking the opportunity while he was distracted, I ever so slowly unhooked the camera from my neck. He paid no attention, his gaze unwavering from the plate of meat. He was beautiful, his white fur rinsed of any dirt markings that gave him the appeal of being a wild animal.

Suppressing any noise, I rose the camera to my eye, adjusting the lens as quietly as I could. Snow continued to fall, burying deep into my wolf's fur to settle within his undercoat. Occasionally a snowflake would dance across the lens, its unique pattern nothing but a sheer reminder of how fleeting winter was. The only thing that stood out was his golden eyes, focused intently on his food as he dipped his head to retrieve more meat.
Just as I clicked the button, he glanced up to look directly into the camera. The flash went off, making the dark pine tree trunks behind him light up in a brilliant millisecond of white.

I could see the way his pupils narrowed, his ears pricking at the sudden light exploding from the camera.

I pulled it away from my face, looking down at the photo I took in amazement. It was one of the only photos I had ever took that perfectly displayed the amount of beauty I saw in reality.

But then a low growl echoed around the yard, causing an instant wave of numbness to chill the marrow in my bones. I slowly rose my head in fear, blinking to see my wolf frozen in front of me. His lips were pulling into a snarl, his teeth bared menacingly. His canines flashed, his tongue curling to pass over them.

I didn't have time to question his behaviour as I swallowed nervously, my heart rising to drum painfully against my ribs.

His hackles rose, his fur bristling in hostility. His eyes flashed with a certain wildness I hadn't seen before. He truly looked more like a wolf than I had ever seen him, his teeth gnashing together before he growled.

I couldn't think straight; my mind was whirling in a frenzy of thoughts. The flashlight! The thought dug into my brain, and with it, I realised how stupid I was.

'Never have your flashlight on a wild animal, no matter how tame it seems.' Dads voice echoed in my head, nothing but a distant instruction that only occurred to me after I committed the crime. 

I remember the night those words left his lips, hanging in the air as I stared at him. He had only just gotten home from a hunting expedition, exclaiming he had killed six deer. At the time, his grey pants were splotched with dried blood, some splattered on the corner of his mouth. The blood used to be off putting, but after several years, I got used to it.

He would always come home and tell me different hunting stories and every time I would be so fascinated by all of them.

"A predator can easily rip you to shreds if you do." He examined the flash light in his hands thoughtfully, his black eyes narrowed to study it. His nails were caked with dirt, his face stained with grit. Sweat curled the ends of his hair and rested in his beard, making him look more of a monster than the creatures he was shooting.

He turned the flashlight to face me, clicking it suddenly so its beam shone directly in my eyes.

"Dad!" I grumbled, rubbing my eyes to stop them from watering. "What was that for?"

He chuckled in response, turning the light off with quick fingers. "It hurts doesn't it." He gingerly placed the flashlight onto the couch before turning to me. His eyes were soft and genuine, his lips curving into the beginnings of a smile.

I flashed him a begrudging look, still annoyed my eyes burned from the intensity of the light.

"Renee I want you to listen here,"

I paused, blinking to look him in the eye.

"Imagine you were a nocturnal animal, hunting at night to survive another day in winter." He gestured with his hands as he always did when he was telling a story, ensuring I was engaged enough to be excited. I always was.

I nodded urgently, the pain from the flashlight forgotten.

"But then you're suddenly blinded by the light of a careless person. You can't see, and the light hurts your sensitive eyes." He pulled out the flashlight again but didn't make a movement to turn it back on. "This item is of domestic use. Wild animals like wolves and coyotes don't know what a flashlight does."

I stared at him, trying to understand his words.

"A wild animal has one of two instincts. They either flee from danger, or attack it." His eyes searched mine. Intent and direct. "When you shine a light in their eyes, you are hurting them. Whenever you are around a wild animal, never flash a light in their direction. Do you understand me Renee?"

I nodded again, feeling my eyes widen. "Yes Dad." I whispered.

His words always remained in my conscious, always hidden but at the ready. But now they had flooded my reasoning too late to be of any use, and I was left to stare at my wolf, his yellow eyes staring directly into mine.

They didn't look like the sincere and curious eyes I was so used to, instead they looked feral, dangerous. Wild.

He took a step closer, his expression one of fury. I backed away, trying desperately to push out with my legs against the snow.

"No, please." I begged, "I'm sorry."

He growled at this, pinning his ears back to snap his jaws. His breaths escaped into thin clouds as he let out another snarl. His pupils were diluted and wide, a flash of hostility embedding deep into his irises. It was at this movement that I truly acknowledged his size. His great figure buried me with his shadow, his fangs glistening to be the length of my hand.

I stifled a scream and pushed myself backwards, attempting to move away from his gaping jaws. In my effort to move, my camera fell from my lap, its nose sinking into the snow so the photo stood out against the ground. I stared in horror, watching as my wolf broke his snarl to pause. He glanced at the camera, a deep rumble vibrating from his chest. His head cocked slightly, his ears pricking forward as he stared at the screen, fear replaced with a light curiosity.

He sniffed at the device, his lips curling into distaste, however it wasn't directed at me, but merely the camera. He lifted his gaze to bore into mine, his eyes glazed as if he were looking into a cloud. He looked torn, his growl falling off his lips to rumble into his chest. The noise lightened to a high pitched whine, his nose twitching as he stared.

My heart danced against my chest as he took a step closer, his muzzle millimetres away from me. His entire body towered over mine, the sun blocked from his immense height. I stared up at him, terror seizing my bones.

He was close enough that I could feel the soft bristles of his coat brushing my ankle. His breath smelt of snow and blood, however his eyes held mine. His gaze didn't waver as he took me in, huddled underneath him. I waited for him to attack, to feel his canines sink into my neck but it never came.

There was only silence between us, the only source of movement being the snowflakes that danced around us. He took a step backwards, his eyes flickering from mine to the camera, as if deciding something. And then, with one graceful movement he twisted to launch himself into the forest, ducking to slide underneath the draping leaves of a pine tree before he disappeared into the shadows.

I was left to stare after him, watching as his white pelt slunk back to wherever it had come from. But this time, I knew he wouldn't return.

                                                                        ....

I was still shaken even when I had reached the safety of my bed, my mind replaying the previous encounter over and over again.

'Never trust a wild animal.'

Dads intent words floated back into my thoughts, ringing in my ears. I couldn't believe how stupid I had been, especially after the countless lessons I had gotten over the years from my father.

I dropped the camera on my bed and collapsed into my pillow. My wolf could've killed me. Those fangs he beared could've sunk into my windpipe, crushing it as easily as ice.

I sucked in a breath, trying to think straight. What made him stop?

I glanced back down at my camera questionably and switched it back on. My photo flashed onto the screen, its light illuminating onto my face as I rose the camera to get a better look at the photo.

My wolf was staring directly into the lens, his golden flecked eyes captured beautifully as he glanced up towards the flash. His eyes studied mine whilst snow dusted his white ruff delicately, effectively making him look like a ghost.

His eyes held inquisitiveness and curiosity, his ears pricked forward.

I smiled at this, focusing on the background. The trees were almost completely black behind my wolf, making him the complete focus with his juxtaposition white pelt. Snowflakes whirled around him, a cyclone of crystallised water.

I hastily grabbed my art journal and pencil. I brought the lead to the paper urgently, my hand moving on its own record. But this time was different to the last. It was like my fingers already knew the pattern of my wolf, like the pencil itself could craft every bristle of fur on his body. It felt like I knew every single detail of my wolf, every scar on his muzzle, every fleck of gold in his eye, every expression written across his face.

I got lost in the motion of my drawing, trapped within the patterns and swirls of design. By the time I looked up from the paper, the sun had lowered to rest above the horizon and the back of my eyes burned from concentrating.

As I gently placed my materials back in my drawer, a knock on the door echoed around the house. I frowned, wondering why Mum had even bothered to knock. But once I ventured to the entrance and swung the door open, blonde hair welcomed me.

Aleena gave me a smile, offering me a light wave. She had twisted her hair into a messy ponytail, ringlets floating out into wisps. She wore a plain t-shirt with a design of droplets sprawled across it. Ripped jeans clung to her skinny frame, fraying at the zipper of her boots.

"It was too much effort to call so I thought I'd just duck around." She said, pushing her way past me to make a beeline for the fridge. I rolled my eyes, this was typical of her routine. But as she brushed past, I noticed she carried paper bags, clothing brands pasted on the outside.

"What did you buy this time?" I grumbled, shutting the door behind her. She didn't reply, but the sound of the fridge door opening reminded me that I shouldn't ask her questions until she had food in her system.

After a few selective seconds, she shut the door, attempting to answer with a mouthful of yoghurt.

"Nothing of your concern." She managed to say, spitting out yoghurt as she did so. Without the slightest trace of embarrassment, she wiped her sleeve over the spot on the bench it had landed on.

I ignored her, moving around the bench to see what was in the bags but she whipped out a hand and dragged them away from me. I shot her a questioning look. "Why can't I see?"

"Because you'll be mad." She said lightly.

I arched an eyebrow. "I thought you said it was nothing of my concern."
She ate another mouthful of yoghurt, the contents forming a ring around her mouth. "I lied."

I snorted and reached for the bags again. She brought them closer to her chest, an action that was slightly awkward considering she clutched an overflowing yoghurt container in her other hand.

"Aleena just let me see." I said, curiosity overriding my annoyance.

She let out a huff but then muttered a yes. Deciding that she'd had enough of the yoghurt, she placed it on the bench. She reached into the bag and then, almost as if in haste, she chucked the item at me. "Just don't go all psycho on me."

I barely managed to catch it, the material snagging my fingers. It was soft against my skin, the salmon pink colour bunching into my hands. I opened it, letting it unfold to its full length.

"A dress?" I said, attempting to hide my disappointment. I glanced up at her to see her study me. "You know I hate dresses."
"Yes, but let me explain," She also pulled out a dress, letting the red material slither into her fingers. She held it out, shaking it lightly as if I was a bull responding to a red flag. "I'm hosting a party tomorrow and you're coming."

I stared at her, shock numbing my ability to talk.

"And I know a million excuses are already running through that tiny brain of yours, but it's about time you got out of your comfort zone." She pointed to my dress, letting hers go to fall back into the bag. "That dress cost me a fortune so if you don't wear it, I'll single handily shove you into it myself."

I looked at the dress again, struggling to stop my lips from curling into distaste. But as I looked closer, I realised the uniqueness of the design. It had a low front, meaning my cleavage would easily be shown. Spaghetti straps attached at the front, crosshatching at the back. The material wasn't bodycon which was typically what I liked best.

I glanced back up to Aleena who was watching me with a smirk tugging at her lips. "Admit you like it."
I sighed. "It's alright."
"$123 better be alright." She said, her eyes flashing. I gave her a light hearted smile, suddenly feeling quite shameful at my financial state.
"And don't even try to get out of going to the party." Aleena added quickly.

I placed the dress back into the bag. "Ally, you know I also hate parties."
Her lips downturned. "I also remember a little birdy chirping in my ear about how change would be good for this town."
"That was the town, not me." I argued but she waved at me dismissively.

"Whatever, I don't care if I drag you there myself, you're coming." She reached over and took the bag out of my limp fingers. "And I'm keeping this otherwise you'll probably burn it or something."

I cocked my head – that actually wasn't a bad idea.

"Plus, Aaron will be there."
I felt my eyes widen. "Then I'm definitely not going."
She let out a chuckle, tapping her black nail polished fingers. "Remember that thing about how love is linked to denial."
I scowled. "There's no such thing as love, especially if it's coming from me."
Aleena only rolled her eyes, reaching for the yoghurt again. "Yep, I've heard that one before."
I shot her a dark look but she was too busy trying to fetch a bug out of her food with a spoon. "Well if I come to the party, I won't be drinking."

Aleena let out a loud cackle, however it was muted slightly by the yoghurt in her mouth. "Oh you'll definitely be drinking."
I frowned, another excuse flickering out of my mouth. "I shouldn't even be going to the party. I can't leave Mum for that long."

At this she flung the container into the open bin, missing it entirely so it clattered on the ground, the remains flying up to spray the walls. Her eyes widened and she glanced at me. "I'll clean that up," She muttered with a sheepish tone. She ambled towards the dishcloth under my scrutinising gaze. "Renee, you can't keep locking yourself away every spare minute you have so you can protect Melissa from herself." She added, the importance of her point dulling when she hit her head bending down to retrieve the cloth from under the sink.
I said nothing, feeling my lips press together tightly.

"Didn't you just have a massive fight about how you wanted to be independent?" She said, a grumble hinted in her voice as she rubbed her forehead grimly. "Here's your chance to finally let go. And it's a bonus because they'll be heaps of boys there to distract you."

She was too busy wiping the yoghurt half-heartedly to see me give her a venomous look. But I knew how stubborn she was. No matter what I said, did or was going to do would change her mind.

"Fine." I hissed.

She responded with a cheery noise. "Great, I'll pick you up tomorrow."

By the time I had shooed Aleena out, she had ravaged two more containers of yoghurt, a slice of cake and a packet of cheese. Nearly as soon as her car drove away, Mums arrived. I waited for her at the front door but she brushed past me without a sidewards glance. My skin prickled with irritation but I ignored it to follow her into the lounge room. She slouched into the couch with a grunt, and I did the same. Only I held myself with enough grace to sit down in a politer manner.

"What did you get up to today?" I asked, forcing my voice to match Aleena's previous cherry one.

Mum only flickered her gaze to me, her pupils narrowing. "Nothing." She said simply.

Immediately I was hit with the smell of alcohol, its scent travelling in her breath. "Where did they take you, the pub?" I said, my nose crinkling in disgust.

Mum frowned. "No, I went there after."
My mood extinguished, along with the scrap of respect I had for her. "What?" I echoed.

She gave me another look, as if explaining her whereabouts required too much effort. "I drove myself to the pub after."

Now that I paid more attention to the conversation, I noticed her words were slightly slurred. "And you drove back here after drinking?" I spat, appalled.

She nodded without a word and let out a loud yawn. I only stared at her, my insides fuming. "You're unbelievable." I snarled but she said nothing in her own defence. She just stared at me with those lifeless eyes. "Are you stupid? You could've killed someone Mum, let alone yourself." My voice began to rise but she only responded with another yawn. My blood began to boil, disintegrating my patience swiftly. "I can't even look at you."

I rose from my spot, seeing red. Her voice drifted towards me, only just above a whisper.

"You want some motherly advice Renee," I turned to glare at her, opening my mouth to state she would never have any viable 'motherly advice' but she continued distantly. "Don't end up like me, holding onto the past and always too afraid to try something new."

I stared, a mixture of confusion and outrage surging through me. "What are you on about?"

She angled herself to see me better in the couch, a wisp of hair falling to cover her gaze. She didn't bother to blow it away before she replied. "Don't rely on one person, because you never know when you might lose them."

And then, as quickly as she uttered those words, her eyes drooped. Within seconds, her snores filled the lounge room. I only examined her, taking in her pitiful appearance without the slightest trace of affection.

....

I stared at myself in the mirror, feeling incredibly embarrassed. Aleena fluffed around me, adding more powder to my already make up filled face. She had straightened my hair to the point where I thought I would never see my natural waves again. During the makeup process I kept asking her what every individual tool did but I think after I questioned why she was using a 'sponge' for foundation she had grown fed up with my chatter, hissing under her breath that the object I thought was a sponge was actually a beauty blender.

She herself was wearing the gorgeous dark red dress that clutched to her beautiful frame perfectly. Her hair was tied into a high ponytail that showed off large gold hoops looped in her ears. As always, she looked perfect while I looked like a downgrade in comparison.

"I look like a caterpillar and you look like a butterfly." I grumbled just as Aleena sprayed another makeup item onto my face.

"That's not true." Aleena replied, going over my hair for the fifth time in the effort to straighten out the curls. "Plus, caterpillars eventually turn into butterfly's."

I shrugged at this, she did have a point. "I'll probably turn into a moth."

Aleena awarded me with a smirk but was too distracted by my hair to hit me with a sarcastic response. I couldn't help the feeling of uneasiness that gradual seemed to suffocate me, nagging at my chest so it tightened. This was new for me, and I hated things that meant change.

Aleena glanced at her phone, her eyes flying open.

"We have to go! Come on, my place skat." She grabbed her purse and practically flew out the door, pausing to utter a goodbye to my Mum but her door was locked. Once again. Aleena shook her head with a pitied look and then strode out of the front door.

Now that I was alone, I gazed into the mirror, barely recognising the girl that stared back at me. My hazel eyes stood out against my dress, a contrast to the golden sleepers Aleena had swapped out for my plain studs.

I got up out of my chair, my ankles already suffering from the effects of the heels Aleena had offered for me to borrow. I glanced down at them with a frown but then Aleena's impatient voice floated into my room, telling me to hurry up.

I stifled a groan and made my way to the front door, my heels clicking on the tiled floor. I gingerly made it to Aleena's car and got in, choosing to ignore her pissed off expression.

"Just because I can't walk in stupid shoes and you can." I snapped.

"Their called heels." She remarked with a tiny slice of spite. She sped out of the driveway, not even bothering to give way to any potential pedestrians.

"God Aleena, don't kill us before we even make it to the party." I said, my nerves heightening.

"My party." Aleena corrected, her eyes on the road but her lips held a smirk.

"Yeah well you're late to your own party." I paused, thinking this over. "Who's letting all the guests in."

Aleena raised an eyebrow at this but didn't look at me. "My brother."

_________________________________________

So what do you think so far?

I would really love for you guys to comment your thoughts, ideas or recommendations

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 120K 36
Everly is a werewolf living in a pack where no one wants her. Her mother and father don't treat her the same as her beautiful sister. She has learned...
232K 6.5K 33
FORGIVENESS is the best form of love... it takes a strong person to say SORRY and an even stronger person to FORGIVE... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
916K 32.4K 69
New version available on my profile titled 'Crescent' ___________________________________________ Riley 'Mouse' Rivers sneezes a lot. She's allergic...