Octopus

By elveloy

Did you know that an octopus has 3 hearts? A collection of fun and facts about these amazing creatures. More

Cephalopods
Octopuses have 3 hearts
Priapulida - the Penis Worm
True or False?
Quiz Answers
An Octopuses' Garden
Giant Cuttlefish
How many brains does an Octopus have?
Favourite Fiction
Octopus kites
Reproduction
Angela and the Octopus
Conclusion and further reading
Note from the Author...

Are Octopuses poisonous?

94 13 12
By elveloy

All octopuses, cuttlefish, and some squid are venomous in that they are able to inflict a poisonous, bite, sting, or wound. However most of them are harmless to humans.

The exception is the blue-ringed octopus. They are found in reefs and tidal pools from Japan down to Australia. In fact, we had a blue-ringed octopus alert for our local beaches this summer here in South Australia. The beach was fenced off in the areas where they were found and identified, but parents have to be particularly careful to supervise what their children are playing with!

They are not an aggressive species. When disturbed, their instinct is to run away. Only when cornered, picked up or trodden on, will they first display their blue rings in an attempt to frighten off the aggressor (you!), then sting as a last resort. A sting will cause numbness and breathing difficulties and, if not treated, can be fatal in minutes.

Pretty, aren't they?

You can read the SA news article by clicking on the External Link.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 111K 35
Nathan, a shy boy, is a closet gay. No one knows besides people close to him. He figures he'll never find a person who will love him. That is, unti...
697K 28.3K 200
Book 1 in the "Love" series. Zaide first saw Thomas when he was stuck on a tree and was helped by the older boy. From then on, Thomas had been saving...
232K 440 19
Just a horny girl
114K 6.5K 28
Introvert: noun A shy, reticent, and typically self-centered person. The bad part about being an introvert is that you feel like you get left out of...