It's Not About Revenge

By LukeWardin

A short, sad story. Read it slowly and pay attention or you'll miss it. More

It's Not About Revenge

15 1 0
By LukeWardin

9:13 pm

"It's not about revenge." I heard myself say, echoing my sensei's words. I looked at the men in front of me: trained killers, sedated and cuffed to their beds. I knew exactly whom they had killed, where, and when. They told me, because I had offered them each a job.

I had been preparing my cover for eleven months. It had to be perfect, they had to believe I was a ruthless criminal mastermind. I was acting for a while, but in these last few weeks it has gotten all too real. I don't feel like a hero anymore, I'm simply following the plan I wrote down two years ago. Why? Well, I don't know anymore. I used to believe I was doing a good deed, but then all I felt was hate.

I killed the men that killed my family. I didn't feel what I thought I would, so I made plans to go after the greater criminal conspiracy. Looking at those men, I believed I had the key. I turned off the drips before I started that monologue, and one of the assassins began to stir.

"It's not about revenge." I said again, to myself, because I wanted desperately to believe it. I was a hero, once, but I had fallen so far. I put on my mask, the guise of an otherworldly creature, and begun the interrogation.

1:56 am

I approached the run-down building the assassins directed me to. There was an opening in the fence and I walked through. I was distracted by my thoughts, and I didn't realize it was an ambush until I was being shot at. I realized they were the kingpin's personal guard and were incredibly skilled. My shoulder armor was pierced by a bullet; I panicked, running back to my motorcycle and riding away as fast as I could.

I knew I would die that night.

3:22 am

I made it back to base and sealed it up. I had been collecting information on these people for some time and I had a lot of it. I've never been afraid of death, I've been afraid of wasting my life. My pursuers would be at the door any minute. I limped toward my computer. "It's time to be a hero. It's time to make my life count."

3:25

The files are uploading, my pursuers are at the door. I stand and face them. My life flashes before my eyes, and I see what I was really motivated by. It was about revenge. My computer beeps, the sound of the only truly good thing I've ever done. "You're a hero now," says a voice. I blink my eyes, and I'm staring death in the face. "I'm ready," I say, and it all goes black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 321 55
A WOSO Oneshot book Oneshots of favourite Women's footballers Mainly the Lionesses, Arsenal Women's team,Chelsea Women's team, Man City Women's team...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
6.6M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...