Something Wicked This Way Com...

Por _Rainy_Melody

Despite the fact that one of her parents is Quirkless and the other possesses a fairly weak Quirk, Lily Peter... Más

A/N
Prologue
One
Two
Three

Four

3 0 0
Por _Rainy_Melody

Keith Prescott
Quirk: Force Field Projection
- Keith is able to create a glowing, transparent force field in any position he desires. He can choose to defend himself on any front or to shield a team member from oncoming attacks. However, the force field can not be fired through from either side, and each hit weakens Keith's energy.
Defining Personality Trait: incredibly passionate about photography
Features: black hair, purple eyes, 6'1"
Likes: flowers
Dislikes: darkness
Country/ Origin: America

»«

   Following Madeline and Gabriella's match, Lily and Hal cheer Anita on as she faces Taybree's speed Quirk. Though most of her classmates had improved over the summer break, Lily can tell that Taybree didn't work on quickening her reflexes at all since the previous year. Anita easily wins the match. Afterwards, Anita drags her into the rooms within the walls of the stadium for a soda break.  Anita explains that, in order to catch Taybree off guard during their fight, she sent out a large shockwave that sapped her strength.  To recharge her energy, Anita downs an impressive six cans of Dr. Pepper before returning to her usual, bubbly self.  When the two girls return to the stands, it becomes apparent that Hal has all ready descended to the field to prepare for his battle.

   "Hey, Hal's up next!"

Lily leads Anita to two seats near the top of the stadium, fully immersed in the battle when they are seated. It is clear to Lily that Monty is equipped with some sort of pouch hanging at his waste. The girl narrows her eyes as Monty pulls out small electronic devices that whir to life. I didn't know they were allowed to bring equipment onto the field... Lily's nerves are set to rest when Hal reveals his own small pouch, though the girl doesn't have a view of what Hal removes from it.  However, in a flash Hal holds a small gun in his hand.  A ripple passes over the student body, and Lily watches as small drones circle around Monty.

   Hal is sprinting forward in an instant, kicking up small clumps of dirt as he approaches Monty.  The shorter boy remains stationary, though Lily can see the obvious tense of his shoulders.  With a start, Lily realizes that the blinking green lights on the flying technology are now red, and they dart forward, morphing into something bigger, something human–

   "Is Monty seriously hiding behind his stupid little Quirk right now?"  The familiar, snobbish voice of Gina reaches Lily's ears, and the latter merely glares over her shoulder at the girl before focusing on the battle below once more.  Anita shuffles beside her, and Lily asks her a silent question with her gaze as the blunette swivels in her seat.

   "Yeah, guess he takes after you."  Anita retorts, and Lily chuckles.  The two make a silent agreement to move closer to the field, so Lily stands and gingerly makes her way down the metal stairs in order to get closer to the field.  Anita practically bounces behind her, jumping from the stairs to the seats and back again.  Hal battles some sort of human-like creation made from Monty's drones while said boy scuttles around the field, attempting to keep his creation between him and Hal.  Hal remains vigilant– Lily can tell he's also been working on his close combat capabilities over the summer, but the girl has to bite her lip to hold back a laugh at his awkward coordination of his long limbs. She soon realizes that there was a method to his madness, however; with a shot fired from the gun– a taser gun– and a single touch, Hal has Monty's machine transformed into a pile of sand. Lily's eyes widen as Hal also takes Monty down effortlessly, and is declared the winner. That's right– Hal's Quirk is strong, like Monty's, but Monty relies more on his creations than his own abilities. There are a few moments of silence before a cheer erupts from the crowd, and it seems as though Lily is the only one who notices Nadene and Audre step forward for their match.

Nadene is heavily reliant on hand-to-hand combat, Lily thinks, but she can't do much against Audre's hair unless she Mimics it to get closer. Though Lily is eager to assess her classmates' abilities, she turns away from the fight in order to congratulate Hal as he approaches her and Anita.

"Whoo-hoo!" Anita cheers, fist-pumping the air. Lily and Hal laugh as they watch the girl dance in circles before embracing Hal. "Wow, Hal! You've gotten a lot stronger over the summer!"

"Yeah, we didn't get to see much of each other's training when we weren't at U.A. I'm impressed!" Lily leans forward to hug her friend, flashing him a grin. All Might's booming voice cuts across their mini-celebration, and Lily glances to the field to see Nadene and Audre walking side-by-side back to the stands. All Might stands in the middle of the field, fists on his hips as he gazes at the students.

"Congratulations to the winners of the mock battles! Please remain seated while Mr. Aizawa explains what will happen next!" Said teacher steps forward, and Lily and her classmates quiet down. She stiffles a laugh at his reluctant expression– as if he wishes to be wrapped in a sleeping bag at home than outside in the sun all day. Lily knows he cares for his students and colleagues, contrary to his displayed attitude.

"The trials," Aizawa begins, "will be held over the course of one week. You all ready know the victors of the preliminary mock battles. Tomorrow, the remaining nine students will be facing each other in pre-selected groups of three, on an randomly simulated field." Aizawa's gaze roams over the students before he continues, "The final three students, having eliminated the other two groups, will face off against each other in a race." As their teacher stops speaking, Lily knows that she and her classmates are kept in the dark about the final event, so the students remain ignorant of the final obstacle on their way of becoming the number one ranked aspiring hero in the class.

"How does my power work?"  After the completion of the mock battles, the students are free to mill about for the rest of the day.  Many talk amongst themselves in small groups, though a few outliers flit between them.  Across the field, Lily spots All Might and Aizawa discussing something amongst themselves.  The girl gazes at the Pro Heroes before turning her attention back to the conversation going on around her.  Surrounding her are Hal, Anita, Keith, Madeline, Bayland, Nadene, and Ethan.  Curiosity seems to have gotten the better of Hal, as he voices the question that has been tickling the back of Lily's mind ever since the battle between Madeline and Gabriella.

"Well, it's like–" Madeline pauses, her arms poised in the air in front of her as she struggles to find the words she is looking for, "it's like a dolphin's sonar genetic trait. When I whistle, the sound bounces of objects and people and sends signals back to me. But with my training over the summer, it's more... high-frequency now. The signals I receive come a lot faster than before, and that's only within a few feet of me. With Gabriella's attack, the particles in the air– changed." Madeline's face contorts, as if she is dissatisfied with her choice of wording. "I don't know, it's hard to describe. With the changing of the air particles, I was able to trace the path of her attacks."

"That's so cool!" Anita shouts, startling Madeline. The blonde blushes as Anita continues to talk at a mile a minute, waving her arms erratically.

"It almost looked like you were predicting the path of her attacks." Hal voices, cutting Anita off. The blunette huffs, crossing her arms as a pout crosses her features. Madeline sets a gentle hand on her shoulder, smiling slightly.

"Indeed." Nadene cuts in, her accented voice drawing everyone's attention. "It was quite impressive."

"My beams are too obvious about my energy levels." Bayland says, deflating slightly in his seat. "They literally change color after a certain amount of minutes, it's such an advantage for anyone I'm fighting against to know how tired I am."

   "Hey, cheer up dude."  Keith bumps Bayland's shoulder with his own, and Lily nods along with her friend's words.  "You'll improve– we all will.  With time, and training."

   "K-Keith is right."  Ethan says, nodding to the group.  His gaze meets Lily's before lowering to the ground, small circles of red blooming on his cheeks.  "M-my Quirk is practically useless f-for combat, so I have to rely mostly on hand-to-hand f-fighting."

   "Ethan's got a point, though."  Madeline drawls, leaning back to rest her upper body weight on the palms of her hands.  "For those of us who have Quirks that aren't exactly fit for frontal attacks, fighting at close quarters is the only way to defend ourselves and combat the enemy.  U.A. has been doing its best at teaching us how to use our Quirks in combat, but it's hard for certain people. Some see my blindness as a drawback, and it is– but my Quirk balances that out.  Because I inherited my mom's Quirk, I have to work with experts on combat training."

   "Yeah, a Quirk like mine has multiple uses."  Anita taps a finger to her chin, casting her gaze to the sky.  "I can use it for long range attacks if I try really hard, but I can also use it for fighting directly with closer enemies, too."

   "Mm."  Hal hums, drawing one leg up onto his seat rest his chin on his knee as he eyes every person in the group.  "Yeah, and Lily and I can do a whole range of things with our Quirks, too."

   "It really puts the fact that your Quirk basically defines you nowadays into perspective."  Lily states. And what she says rings true– those surrounding her settle into a contemplative silence, mulling her words. Lily, herself, finds her thoughts whirling slowly as she stares up at the cloudless sky above.

I'm fortunate enough to have been born with a strong Quirk. If I possessed something like Ethan's in a direct confrontation or Barry's back home, I feel like life would be a lot harder.  In America, people who possess what society considers a 'weak' Quirk are immediately discarded by all Hero Agencies and organizations.  If they have enough drive and passion, coupled with a few resources, they'll be lucky enough to score a strong job that earns them recognition, but few only get that far.  All Might's Quirk shook the very foundation of the world, and he became the Symbol of Peace– an idol to worship, and for the people to criticize.  Without his Quirk, the Pro Hero probably wouldn't have even made the cut to be a Hero.

   The world isn't fair.

   Lily is shaken from her thoughts when she feels a pressure on her shoulder, and she turns to find the hazel of Hal's eyes locked on her.  She stares back for a moment, calming down her angrily racing heart before sending him a small, reassuring smile.  He offers his own grin before gesturing to the empty seats around them with a small wave of his head.

   "The others suggested ice cream to celebrate the mock battles.  You up for it?"  His voice is quiet, and Lily nods, a silent show of gratitude reflecting in her eyes. Hal smirks suddenly, a mischievous glint lighting up his eyes. "You know, the others took the long way out of the stadium through the rooms below. What do you say we take the easy way over?"

Lily chuckles as the boy rises to his feet, offering his hand to her. She gratefully accepts, leaning her weight on him as she concentrates on gathering energy from her Quirk. Her eyes flash their brilliant violet, and she keeps hold of Hal's hand as they both lift into the air. Hal startles slightly, almost losing his balance with the new sense of gravity.

"A little warning next time, please!"

"Okay, here we go!" Lily laughs as she directs the crackling energy around her to guide her and Hal forward, over the tall, metal-seated stadium.  The boy lets out an exhilarated shout as Lily uses her Quirk to float the duo up, and then down to the cement sidewalk below.  She lands carefully, Hal maintaining his death grip on her hand even as Lily's energy resides. The duo share a laugh.

"Man Lils, I am so glad to have met you."

"Me too, Hal." The girl smiles, finally releasing her friend's hand. "I can't believe we actually live less than an hour away from each other and we never even realized."

"I know!" Hal concurs. He glances around before leaning back to settle his weight against one of the stadium's walls. Lily stands opposite him, and he two bask in comfortable silence.

"Hey, no fair!" Anita's voice has Lily straightening to face the approaching group. The bluenette bounces ahead of the others, shooting Lily a playful glare. The girl sticks her tongue out in response. "You should have told us you were giving free rides!"

"Sorry, exclusively limited-time offer, and you just missed your window." Lily jokes, and Madeline laughs from her place beside a smirking Keith.

"Contrary to your belief," Nadene cuts in, a twinkle in her dark irises, "I would much prefer I remain stationary on solid ground."

"Aww, Nadene's no fun!" Anita exaggerates, leaning on a startled Bayland.

"Wow, careful Anita. I'm not always prepared for your assaults like Hal over there." The boy says, and Anita stares at him, flabbergasted. Keith snorts, raising his hands to do finger quotes as he says,

"'Assaults'." Madeline laughs softly, leading the rest in the group to chuckle at Anita's despair. There are a few moments of silence before Ethan scuffs the smooth pavement beneath their feet.

"Weren't we going f-for ice cream?"

Lily nods, and the group turns to head out of the school and into town. Anita squeals about something excitedly in between Bayland and Nadene, Ethan and Madeline banter quietly with Keith about how they'll spend their weekend, and Lily and Hal walk ahead of the others. Hal sticks his hands into the pocket of his sleeveless hoodie, glancing over at Lily out of the corner of his eyes. Said girl has one hand stuck in the pocket of her blue jeans, eyes fixed on a rock that she kicks forward with her foot every few feet. Hal nudges her with his elbow.

"Hey, what do you think the last trial will be?"

"I have no clue." Lily responds, abandoning the rock in favor of looking at Hal. "Whatever it is, I bet it'll be fun though. I just wish they would let us use the full abilities of our Quirks. It's kinda boring when a teacher has to step in."

"Don't worry about it," Hal waves his hand dismissively, "once we get our Hero licenses we'll be able to go all out." Lily smiles as the group finally arrives at the ice cream parlor.

One day...

»«

Ethan Coleman
Quirk: Healing Factor
- Ethans's Quirk is much like that of Recovery Girl's: he can heal any wound, though it is limited with fatal injuries.  His hands glow a soft teal, as does the wound he is healing, when in use.
Defining Personality Trait: has a permanent stutter that he can only control with speech lessons when he is older
Features: black hair, black eyes, 5'10"
Likes: libraries
Dislikes: cherries
Country/ Origin: America

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

20.9K 660 8
Villain Deku Fanfiction! Izuku Midoriya, a quirkless child no more than 9 years old, has always admired heroes. Especially his idol, All Might. Thoug...
3.4K 170 75
The beginning was in Qingqing, China. The manifestation of the superpowers which will be soon known as' Quirks'. The society, which grew accustomed...
12.2K 739 48
𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐥 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐫𝐤, 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛...
48.9K 768 12
A boy born with a quirk frowned upon by the heroes he looks up to. Called a future criminal, a villain in the making for reasons he doesn't know. Yet...