Sparks Fly

By iamranim

Tristen is tired of being invisible; she wants to get out. She needs to get out. The night she leaves home sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 11

1.8K 35 5
By iamranim

Sparks Fly

Chapter 11

When I sense Cliff speeding up towards me, I break out into a run. Cliff hurt me. He doesn’t know Don like I do. Don cares about me.

“Tristen!”

Ignore him. Walk away.

“God damn it, Tristen!”

My jaw is closed tightly, and my veins are pulsing heavily. The plastic bags in my hands feel as if they’re filled with rocks, and my hands grow weak. A strong, flowing sensation ignites within me, and the streetlight flickers.

A zap stings my palm, causing me to drop the bag in my right hand. I hiss and huff in annoyance. The night’s wind hits me with extra strength, beckoning me forward. I fall to my knees and wince as my wound stretches.

Curses fly from my mouth and echo throughout the neighborhood. I stuff the poster into a bag and hold my knee in pain.

Cliff mutters something then helps me up.

“You’re always helping me up,” I say, letting go of our futile fight.

Cliff chuckle’s roughly.

“Let’s go already.” He holds my grocery bags easily, relieving me of the weight.

We silently walk home, not mentioning a word about our petty fight, as a matter of fact, not mentioning a word at all.

Cliff starts whistling a depressing-tuned song, and it lulls me sweetly. Gently, my eyelashes bat down, brushing over my pale skin.

Before I know it, we’re inside, changing into our sleep attire. My pants fit loosely on my scrawny legs. Cliff’s whistle song lingers in my head. A hand touches my shoulder.

“Just wanted to let you know that dinner’s ready,” Jordan murmurs, shutting the empty room’s door, leaving me alone.

Finally a moment alone.

I allow myself to take a moment to recollect what has happened these past days. This is by far the most peace and solitude I’ve had ever since the kidnapping.

The edges of my mouth curve into a smile at the word.

Kidnapping . . .

Thoughts press at my brain. Everything’s finally gathering together. Powers. I still partially refuse to believe in such things. Powers are fanciful and fictional. On the other hand, they’re my reality now.

There are people after us. They shot Lorcan’s arm that day. Come to think of it, Lorcan and the rest probably warded off the enemy with powers. The enemy left shortly after that gunshot, as I recall. If the enemy had powers, they would’ve used some other sort of magical weapon. Instead, they used human made weapons.

After coming to a conclusion that the enemy doesn’t have powers, I take in the scent of my suitcase whole-heartedly.

Early tomorrow we’ll be heading towards the enemy’s “hideout” or hopefully. I can’t tie my head around the fact that we’re going to be in dire danger very soon. Then again, I’m more than ready to face these sick people.

A rush of adrenaline pumps through me with full power. I twitch. My feet lead me to the kitchen where everyone’s walking around, picking up plates, and sitting down.

A plate eventually meets my cold hands after they leave Cliff’s giving ones.

“Thanks,” I say quietly, taking a seat across from Lorcan.

“I’m so pumped,” Lorcan says, stuffing steaming Top Ramen into his eager mouth. My eyes fall onto my bowl. The cheap ramen floats to the surface, giving off a chicken broth smell. I poke at it with one of the spoons Cliff has prepared at the table.

As much as my stomach rumbles and begs for food, I can’t bring myself to eat. Cliff’s foot collides with mine under the table.

“What?” I ask Cliff.

Everyone stops bickering and turns their attention towards us.

“Eat,” Cliff orders, eyeing my full bowl. My eyes scan Cliff’s tired ones.

“Take your pills,” I say louder than him.

Isabel, Jordan, and Lorcan stare at us with full curiosity and interest. Cliff’s tired eyes narrow at me.

“Since when has Cliff taken his iron pills, anyway?” Isabel asks with her clear voice, and she stands up and opens a cupboard. She murmurs to herself as she grabs the pills, popping one in her hand.

“Take it after you eat,” Isabel tells Cliff as he urges the noodles into my mouth. Reluctantly, I take the spoon from his grasp and spill the food into my mouth.

I do this at least twenty more times, each one calmer than the other. Ultimately, the bowl becomes empty.

“Gosh, I just honestly can’t wait until we charge in on their hideout.”

“We don’t even exactly know where they are,” Jordan reminds Lorcan, resting her bowl into the sink.

“Don’t be a pessimist, I know where to start,” Lorcan says, escaping the kitchen.

After Cliff rejects Isabel’s offer to wash the dishes, only Cliff and I are in the kitchen. I can tell by the awkwardness about Cliff that he’s uneasy at the moment.

“I don’t need help if you were going to ask,” Cliff sighs, tying his apron around his waist.

My eyes don’t meet Cliff’s. They’re glued to the iron pill resting on the plain table.

“I wasn’t going to ask to help. I ate, so you take your pill,” I insist, pointing meekly at the pale-colored plastic-covered pill. It honestly doesn’t look too tempting, but I’m not going to tell him that.  

Cliff sighs in defeat, rests the bowls in the sink gently, and grabs the iron pill. After a few chugs, the pill is dissolving in his system.

“Thank you,” I say, watching and wondering why a guy would be so fond of cleaning. Cliff’s hands smooth the surface of a plate with dish wash soap.

I push my hair back into place and rest a hand onto the counter.

“I should probably take them with me on the road, you know, in case . . .” Cliff’s voice is so low the water rushing from the faucet is almost louder.

“Good idea,” I say, agreeing. “By the way, isn’t it safer if we leave at night? You know, so no one will see us.”

“If we go at night, we’ll be more suspicious to people we don’t want to seem suspicious to. We don’t want to seem obvious, you know?”

I nod in response and wipe the cold sweat from my forehead. I really never thought of it that way. I guess you always need another opinion from a different perspective.

“Go to sleep, you’re tired.”

“No, it’s fine, I’ll wait.”

“By the way, it seems Lorcan’s made a decision that we all sleep together in the single room tonight. Jordan and Isabel already called the bed.”

“That’s great,” I mutter sarcastically, feeling my eyelids droop.

Just as I was dozing off into a sweet dream, the sound of the faucet turning off wakes me. My vision is blurred at first, and all I see is Cliff helping me up off my chair. My sore knee pounds and brings me back to full consciousness.

“We have a long day tomorrow,” Cliff whispers as we enter the dark hallway. I totter behind him, making sure not to step on the heels of his feet. In no time, I have my hair tied in a high, loose bun.

Everyone’s asleep as we enter the cold room. I avoid looking at the cheap light bulb hanging from the ceiling.  I honestly don’t feel like turning it on.

Cliff and I end up lying down in the corner of the room. Isabel and Jordan are on the bed, as expected, and Lorcan’s occupied most of the floor. The room isn’t too big, so Cliff and I are very close physically.

“This is uncomfortable,” I yawn, shifting slightly. Cliff sighs from next to me.

“Here, is this better?” Cliff asks, resting his arm around me tightly.

My eyes fly open in astonishment. Cliff and I have never been this close before. My cheeks flame. His fingers are warm and heavenly. His whole vibe right now is incredibly inviting.

“Yeah, it’s better,” I whisper, finding myself closing my eyes, bringing my face to his chest. He smells amazing mixed with Windex. After all this ruckus, it’s nice to have someone like Cliff around. “I’m so anticipated for tomorrow.”

“So am I,” he whispers with that voice of his.

“Goodnight,” I whisper, clenching his warm shirt loosely.

“Goodnight,” he whispers tiredly in my ear.

“Oh gosh, oh gosh! I’m so PUMPED!” Lorcan announces as we grab our bags. “First aid kit?” Isabel nods.

“Check.”

“Food and supplies?”

“Check.”

The list goes on and on.

A gentle hand falls lightly on my shoulder. I look up into Cliff’s eyes and tighten my grip on my bag. What’s it going to be like? There’s a big possibility that someone will be injured. My stomach drops when my eyes glue to the first aid kit.

“You scared?”

“Not the slightest,” I reply to Cliff, hiding my fear behind fake words.

“Well I am,” he admits, patting my head, his hair tousled. His deep eyes are serious and truthful.

Envy whirls in me as I notice what Cliff has that I don’t. Cliff doesn’t have to hide behind words and facades. He’s truthful and blunt in a way that makes him comfortable to be around. He isn’t afraid to admit what he feels. Next to Cliff, I’m fake and untrustworthy.

“Yeah, I guess it is pretty frightening,” I admit, showing Cliff some affection by giving off a whole-hearted smile. His eyes widen at my action and mirror’s it.

Cliff walks off to talk to Jordan, and I tiredly walk to Lorcan.

“Just making sure, do you know where to start exactly?” I ask Lorcan curiously, trying not to look too worried.

Lorcan tightens his backpack. “You can count on me.” He calls everyone outside. “We’re leaving, come on.”

As we walk away from the apartment, I wonder if I’ll ever see the place again. Cliff and Jordan start talking about how safe the apartment is due to the magical barrier Ace set up the other day.

“The enemy cannot enter in any way possible.”

My eyes scan everyone’s faces, and I wonder what makes keeps them all calm. Can it be that they’re all nervous as I am but don’t show it? They’re probably thinking that if one shows their anxiety, it will affect everyone’s mood and willpower. What a smart bunch.

Smiling to myself, Lorcan’s stare creeps up on me.

“What are you smiling for?” Lorcan asks.

“Nothing.”

“I see . . .” Lorcan trails off, inching towards Isabel.

We’re finally going to do this, I think as we follow Lorcan across the street and into a block. The trees dance in the autumn wind, waving to me slowly.

Unconsciously, I wave back, giving a dry face. Jordan looks at me like I’m crazy before raising her nose in the air.

A chill sweeps over me as Cliff catches up to me.

“This is going to be a long walk. Lorcan doesn’t want anyone knowing that he forgot the place he found most suspicious. We’re probably just going to be walking in circles until he remembers so brace yourself.”

“That’s great,” I mutter sarcastically.

Did he seriously forget where to start?

“Gosh it feels so weird not to be wearing sunglasses,” Jordan murmurs, getting closer to Cliff. Come to think of it, it really does feel weird to walk around with our eyes bare. It must feel even odder for Jordan not wearing a cap. I notice Jordan’s hands running over her hair uncomfortably.

The breeze is calming. More trees dance in the wind. A park is to our left filled with lively kids.

A group of kids run across the park and jump in front of us.

“Do you know where the ice cream truck went?” one of the kids asks Lorcan. I seize.

Lorcan walks away from the child, leaving him dumbstruck. The kid has pleading eyes when he looks at me as I follow Lorcan. The temptation to reply to the child is killing me, but sadly I refrain from it. The kid reminds me so much of Don. The messy light hair and the bright eyes.  

“Why are you ignoring me?”

My heart drops at the kid’s face. For a split second, I actually think he’s Don and gasp. He’s not Don. You’re thinking way too much. Relax for once, Tristen. Forget him now, we have a mission; a mission to get rid of the enemy. Nothing more and nothing less.

I barely notice how I’m unmoving, standing across from the sad boy. His eyes sparkle in confusion.

“Walk away,” I whisper to myself, covering my blue face with my shaking hands.

I can’t bring myself to walk away from the child.

Lorcan pulls me away from the kid roughly, pushing me in front of him. Why is he being so hostile? Enmity rises from me as I stare at Lorcan. He’s so bipolar that it bugs me.

“What happened to not talking to kids?” he hisses at my ear as we walk away from the children.

“I didn’t talk to them,” I snap, reaching Isabel’s side.

Twenty whole minutes pass, and everyone starts to get suspicious as to why we haven’t reached our destination yet. I have created a calm, personal bubble, and I’m relaxing mentally.

“Damn it, Lorcan, where the hell are we?” Jordan gasps at last, standing still. Lorcan’s eyes waver then his reluctant eyes meet with Jordan’s. “We’re lost aren’t we?” Jordan plops herself onto the dirty sidewalk, holding herself back from the brink of frustration.

“I’ll remember soon,” Lorcan’s heavy voice assures Jordan as he takes a seat. “All I remember is that we’re going the right way . . . I think.”

Jordan and Lorcan break out into a low-voiced argument, trying to not attract too much attention.

“Put your bags down. This is going to take a while,” Cliff says to me and Isabel.

The afternoon gust is cold and uncomfortable. Ahead of us is a forest of short trees surrounded by a protective fence. The wind hits me.

“I was beating you, and then I tripped on a branch and you passed me!” Don’s voice echoes in my head.

“You’re lying! The wind doesn’t push you!”

“Good job, kid, never stop running.”

Memories fill my head as my dry eyes stare at the trees.

I look at Lorcan to find him even deeper in the argument with Jordan. Isabel is digging in her backpack, and Cliff is staring suspiciously at me.

“What’s on your mind?”

“Cover for me, I need a breath of fresh air.” I nod my head towards the forest behind the thin fence. It looks simple enough to jump, and this road is so empty that no one will notice.

It takes Cliff a long time to think about it until he finally agrees. “I’ll kill you if anything happens.”

And just like that, like the wind, I seep into the compressed forest, having no trouble jumping the fence. I secretly look across the street to see Cliff smiling and waving me off. No one noticed.

I’m really surprised Cliff let me go, I think as I push branches from my view. A warm sense flows through me.

“I’m home,” I whisper to the trees, closing my eyes.

My hands run over the small, thick tree’s bark.

“Up for a race?” I ask myself, rubbing my sweaty hands together. “Yes.”

I break out into a run and my lips curve into a sweet smile. The slicing wind hits my face, and tears form at the corners of my eyes from my speed.

My long legs stretch like a cheetah’s as I hit the finish line. My arms instinctively rise in success. I wait for Don’s famous line twenty five seconds later.

My imagination creates a gossamer ghost of Don running towards me.

When he reaches me, he gets on his knees, breathing heavily.

“I was beating you, and then I tripped on a branch and you passed me!”

“Oh, Don,” I grin wistfully, staring into space. “Where are you?”

Don’s face disappears from in front of me. This is enough remembrance for one day, I tell myself. Weakly, my body makes its way to the end of the forest. The rusty metal wires under my fingers make my skin crawl.

This time, everyone’s eyes are on mine. Lorcan looks fed up with me.

Trying to block his face from my vision, I lift my body over the fence effortlessly. The soles of my feet sting for a while as I fall onto the thick sidewalk. I hiss under my breath and cross the street towards the fuming Lorcan.

“What the hell is your problem?”

I ignore him fully and sit on the sidewalk.

“Answer me, you—”

“It’s my fault, Lorcan,” Cliff lies, throwing his hand in front of Lorcan’s crinkled face. “I told her to go chill out for a while. You and Jordan were making far too much noise. It’s the least she deserves, am I wrong?”

Lorcan freezes. He knows Cliff’s right, and he doesn’t like it.

“By the way, Lorcan remembered the way,” Cliff says, handing me my heavy bag. “Let’s get going.”

Things are silent among everyone, and I decide to break the silence once I notice something about Jordan’s backpacks.

“Why do you have two backpacks?”

Jordan sighs, obviously annoyed by my question.

“My pillow, along with a random pillowcase I picked up from home is occupying one whole backpack—”

“Wait—you brought along another pillowcase?”

It takes Jordan a few seconds to reply as she tries to push aside the fact that I just rudely interrupted her.

“Even though using a pillowcase that’s not your ‘own’may give you unclear or even false futures, it’s better than nothing.”

“I understand. So that means you’ll see the future in your dream tonight, right?”

“Yeah, I will, as long as I intend to before I fall asleep.”

Incredible.

“I know, it’s awesome,” Jordan gloats, and the unlikeable part of her is back. “I’m glad I was blessed with something like this. This power. At least I don’t have a power that I’m not able to contro—”

“Enough, Jordan,” Lorcan snaps, resting a hand on her back. Jordan stiffens.

Is she saying I’m not able to control my powers? I can control my powers perfectly fine. I may be a bit rusty because it’s my first time. She shouldn’t be saying that.

“I’m able to control my powers very well, thanks,” I answer dryly.

“Yeah, that’s why whenever you’re mad, the lights flicker uncontrollably,” Jordan laughs wryly.

“Enough.” Isabel says.

“Will you get off my back, Jordan? I’ve had enough,” I say, holding my temper in.

“I’ll be the bigger person and let this go,” Jordan announces loud enough for everyone to hear.

“You do that,” I retort, speeding up my pace so that I’m in the front of the group. Lorcan has to jog to catch up to me.

“You guys need to stop fighting, okay?”

I ignore Lorcan fully and keep moving.

“Where is it?” I ask after a few silent minutes of walking.

“I can’t exactly explain. It’s really hidden well. I remember Ace telling me about it. Just stay patient until we get there. Once we get there,” Lorcan higher his voice so that it’s audible enough for everyone. “We will hide our backpacks and give them a surprise attack. Okay?”

“Mhm,” Cliff answers.

“Sure,” Isabel says.

“Fine,” Jordan says.

“Okay,” I mumble after Lorcan stares directly at me.

Why do I feel targeted? Lorcan and Jordan definitely have something against me. Then again, I know for a fact that I am not easy to deal with at all.

Long minutes pass, and the clock hits three o’ clock. The weather starts calming down, and my hair is finally able to fall naturally on my shoulders and along my back again. My hair is thick enough to hold in a bunch, and I take in the scent of coconut.

As the time passes, I grow even more nervous and scared. Each second passed is a second closer to the enemy. Will I back away when we get there? Will fear get the best of me and leave me running back to my ungrateful mother? Even if I find my way back home, I’ll still have the enemy on my back.

At home it’s safe though. I was never caught or unsafe at home.

No, Tristen, don’t think that way. You ran away for a reason.

These last minute doubts really get me thinking things over.

No, I’m staying for sure.

Within five minutes I’m somewhere I dread to be.

Lorcan comes to a stop, waving his hand over the area. No. This must be wrong. We must be lost.

The warehouse looks even more intimidating than before.

“Backpacks over here,” Lorcan whispers, signaling to an unnoticeable gap in the tall, leafy hedge.

I can’t tell them I was here before. I did see the enemy here the other night. Why didn’t I see this coming?

I lag behind with Lorcan as we’re the last ones to place our backpacks in the hedge.

I can barely breathe at this point. We’re here. We’re really here. I don’t want to be here at all. It’s dangerous.

My hands are trembling so hard they’re basically jumping out of my jeans’ pockets.

“It’s going to be fine,” Cliff assures me.

No. No it won’t be fine. You’ve never been here before. You have no idea what will happen. Even I have no idea what will happen.

“There’s no sign of anyone but us here,” Lorcan announces, just loud enough for only us to hear. “But according to Ace, they’re supposed to be here by this time of da—”

An unexpected bullet rips my eardrums, and a recognizable, female scream deafens me.

My heart stops.

A/N 

One of my first cliff-hangers. Please leave a comment and vote. Tell your friends about this story ;D I noticed I lost a load of readers when this book was on hold due to a long term writer's block. My last chapter was very low on votes, comments, and reads. Please help me bring my book off the ground and back standing tall.

You guys are the best, and you're the reason I hit 3000 reads!!!<3

Sincerely,

Your loving Ranim

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

471 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
Ember By Soulitario

Teen Fiction

8 0 1
Amber Lorone started off to a great life until her parents were shot and killed right in front of her eyes. Waking up in a hospital, she hears that t...
146 8 14
Seven kids on the run from their past at an evil company. These kids are different though at a young age they somehow got powers and The Dome has bee...
14.7K 441 44
Imagine your on your way to college and a rock from outer space crashes close to you. So you and your friends go check it out only to find out that y...