How He Fell

By sxreya

C O M P L E T E D ☙❦❧ "Who would ever love Medusa?" "The... More

How He Fell | 1/10/18
~ Characters/Aesthetics ~
0 0 | e v e l y n
0 0 | m a d d o x
0 0 | e v e l y n
0 0 | m a d d o x
0 1 | e n c o u n t e r
0 2 | g e n t l e
0 3 | i n e v i t a b l e
0 4 | s t o r m
0 5 | c o n f e s s i o n s
0 6 | f r i e n d s
Note
0 7 | b a t t l e
0 8 | l o n e l y
0 9 | g u e s s e s
1 0 | a n s w e r s
1 1 | s t a r e s
1 2 | h e l p l e s s
1 3 | m a d d e n i n g
The Fiction Awards
1 4 | l u s t
1 5 | d e a t h
1 6 | r e g r e t s
1 8 | r e v e l a t i o n s
1 9 | s e c r e t s
2 0 | l i e s
2 1 | a l o n e
2 2 | f r i e n d s h i p s
2 3 | o k a y
2 4 | f a l l e n
2 5 | q u e s t i o n s
2 6 | h o p e
2 7 | l i m i t e d
2 8 | d r u n k
2 9 | d o n e
3 0 | b r o k e n
3 1 | w a i t
3 2 | s o m e t i m e s
3 3 | p r o m i s e s
3 4 | l o v e
3 5 | s e t t l e d
Falling In A Frenzy
b o n u s | 1 6
Daisies For Delilah
| Vote! |

1 7 | d i s h e a r t e n e d

18.5K 899 849
By sxreya

Song of the chapter: Can't Let Go (feat. Emilia Ali) by VALNTN

☙❦❧

EVELYN was little shocked to see Tiana Reeves with Maddox when she found him.

Just a little weird.

Tiana was the It Girl of their school. She had her bitchy cronies flanking her all the time, but honestly Evelyn had never received any hate from Tiana's end. Her friends were certainly cruel and loved to torment Evelyn, but Tiana always held back and never bothered. Usually she wasn't even around when Evelyn was getting bullied and if she was then the bullying always came to a halt.

Surprisingly to say the least.

Staring at herself in the mirror, Evelyn ran her hands over her jean-clad thighs in nervousness. She had to dress up for the annual gala and that terrified her. Her nerves were taking over.

"Oh stop worrying so much," Aubrey's voice spoke as she plopped down on her unruly bed. Dresses were strung all around the room, they were both trying to pick the perfect dress and it was a bit difficult when most of their options were worth 10x less than everyone else's attire.

"Why wouldn't I worry?" Evelyn's stressed voice stated, "I can't go looking cheap. This is a gala where everyone who's anyone will be there."

Maddox will be there.

Aubrey immediately sat up with a smirk on her face, "So what?"

"Huh?" Evelyn said in confusion.

"You like Maddox don't you?"

Frowning, Evelyn realized she had spoke aloud about Maddox. Biting her lip, the blush dusted across her cheeks was prominent.

Shrugging, she made a sound that indicated that Aubrey's statement held truth to it. There was no point in really trying to make her crush on Maddox a big deal though. It would never lead to anything other than her hidden heartbreak.

Realizing she liked Maddox was something she hated. It made sense that she somehow felt something beyond friendship. He was kind and caring, he didn't leave her hanging. He treated her as an equal rather than gum stuck to the bottom of his shoe. God knows how refreshing that kind of behavior was.

Plus, he wasn't too hard on the eyes. That's putting it lightly. Everyone in her year knew how handsome Maddox was. He had the eyebrows, the facial features and not to forget his physique was something to be jealous of.

But he was quiet and never really talked. It didn't make him the outcast since he was one of the most respected people in school, but it made people leave him alone. They were too scared to talk to the boy who glared daggers at everything and anything.

He had a soft spot for her though. She knew that. He was a certain way around her that he wasn't with anyone else. After she had realized she liked the broken boy acting too strong, she almost convinced herself during the week that he might feel something too.

Then she saw him and Tiana and that put all thoughts to rest. Tiana was stunning and respected and in Evelyn's eyes, she didn't seem like she'd be the gum stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe.

Honestly she seemed like the stiletto.

Walking over to Evelyn's insecure frame, Aubrey hugged her from the side.

"If he doesn't see how beautiful you are then is it really worth it to hurt yourself over someone like him?"

Evelyn knew Aubrey was right. Aubrey always said the right thing, but it's not like Evelyn could just stop whatever she felt for Maddox. It wasn't that simple.

"I can't help who I like."

"We can try," Aubrey shrugged with a half-smile.

Noticing the change in Aubrey's tone, Evelyn's eyes shifted from her own figure to Aubrey's face. As her eyes found Aubrey's, she felt sympathy for her friend.

Aubrey still felt for Riley's father and Evelyn knew how much she hated herself for still carrying those feelings.

Turning around, she took her friend's hands into her own, "Sometimes we just have to let the pain take over when there's no other option. At least we aren't delaying it anymore," Evelyn gently spoke.

Aubrey sniffled a little before looking up and away from Evelyn, "What if the person causing the pain wants to come back?"

Furrowing her eyebrows, Evelyn processed the words before she tensed.

"He wants to come back?"

Not wanting to delve into the topic any longer, Aubrey brushed it off, "We'll discuss this for another time." Wiping away the tears that escaped her eyes, she mumbled something about finding Evelyn the perfect dress.

Watching Aubrey shuffle around her small room, anger seeped into Evelyn's veins.

Aubrey worked so hard to get to where she was now. With no help from her parents or the absentee father, she managed. Working day and night shifts almost everyday with barely any time to care for Riley, she resisted the temptation to give up.

And now, Riley's father wanted to come back? After 4 years, he really wanted to return?

The ringing of the doorbell snapped her out of her thoughts as she rushed to the door. Opening it in a frenzy she came across Maddox's impeccable attire.

Dressed in a tuxedo with his hair propped up in a perfect messy do, he looked breathtaking. All the more reasons to fall for him. He was leaning against the banister and his eyes sparkled mischievously.

He looked devilishly handsome.

"Gonna keep staring?" he smirked with one brow raised.

Closing her open mouth, she flushed red as she opened the door wider for him to come in.

"I'm n-not ready," she said too quickly, "I don't have a dress."

"Well perfect because I have a dress for you to wear," he murmured as he crouched down to eye level with her.

She finally noticed the black box in his hand and the beautiful calligraphy signifying that it was none other than Sherri Hill.

As the shock subsided, she took a step back with her hands held in front as if to prevent him from coming closer.

"I can't take that Maddox."

Rolling his eyes, he came closer despite her defenses, "Well I'll keep insisting and we both know I'll end up getting my way."

Pursing her lips, she knew he was telling the truth. Might as well give in when she could.

Sighing, she gently took the box from his hands, "How'd you even know I needed something to wear?"

Just as he was about to reply, he shifted his eyes from her face to behind her before looking back at her.

"Uh I had a guess," he shrugged.

Turning around to see Aubrey lurking around the corner, she put two and two together.

"When did you even have time to call him? Where'd you get his number?" Evelyn said incredulously.

Aubrey came out of her not-so-subtle hiding spot, "I took your phone."

Maddox's voice cut through, "That's beside the point. We have thirty minutes to spare and I suggest you get to it. I on the other hand will hang out with Riley."

His eyes danced around the house clearly wanting to see the enthusiastic little boy.

Brows raised, his gaze stayed on Aubrey before she rolled her eyes and pointed to the backyard.

"Knock yourself out," she sighed playfully.

Once he left, Evelyn and Aubrey returned to Aubrey's room. Placing the black box on the bed, she contemplated whether or not she should open it. What would the dress look like? Would it even fit?

Her hands became clammy and nervousness creeped up her spine.

"Open it," Aubrey's soft voice said cutting through the unnerving silence.

Taking a deep breath, Evelyn slowly took the lid off to reveal a beige and white dress. Staring at it, she let out an astonished gasp.

"It's beautiful," she breathed in awe.

Running her hands through the silky and expensive material, she couldn't wait to try the dress on. She doubt she'd look good in it, but there was nothing else to wear. The delicate embroidery and waves flowing through the dress with the soft beige undercoat had her entranced.

The dress was absolutely stunning. It must've been worth a fortune. Guilt flushed her features knowing Maddox spent some big bucks on it.

"Wow he has good style," Aubrey commented from behind as she laid her eyes on the breathtaking dress.

"Tell me about it," Evelyn whispered nodding.

"What are you waiting for?" Aubrey said with a smile, "try it on!"

Smiling at Aubrey's antics, she felt excitement creep up her spine.

"I'm gonna go give Riley his dinner and set him to bed while you're changing," Aubrey spoke, "I can't wait to see how it looks."

Nodding, Evelyn shot her friend one last smile before being enveloped in the silence that included only her and the beautiful dress.

Hesitantly, she picked the dress up and it unraveled to reach the floor. Taking her sweatshirt and shorts off, she gently put the dress on, shimmying until it eventually reached her shoulders. Folding her arm behind her back, she attempted to reach the zip.

A knock on the door halted her failed attempts however.

"Come in," she lightly yelled.

Expecting Aubrey, she turned back to the mirror looking over her disheveled appearance.

"Hey could you zip me up?"

"Can't do it yourself?"

Her head shot up and her eyes widened as Maddox's low voice entered the room. Through the mirror, she cautiously took note of him walking closer until he was right behind her.

"I uh I tho-thought you were Aubrey," she mumbled looking down.

"Well I hope I'm a good substitute," he humored.

His breath fanned her neck as he swiped her hair to one side. Slowly and agonizingly, he zipped the dress up. His hand stayed on her waist as his knuckles grazed the soft skin on her back. Holding her breath, her muscles stiffened.

Looking up at the mirror, her eyes found his which were already gazing at her.

"Mesmerizing," he murmured in her ear.

Not knowing what else to do, Evelyn turned around for his tall frame to tower over her small one. Staring up at him, she felt his head come closer to her own. Almost right against each other, her eyes flickered down to his lips.

They looked inviting.

And as if he knew her true desire, his hand trailed up the significantly open back of her dress and she almost swooned.

Biting her lip, she gently stood on her tippy toes as if expecting the kiss to come any second. Closing her eyes, she knew it would happen.

They were both too far gone for it not to.

And then suddenly his lips were on hers. They were warm and soft, sending a shiver down her spine as he became more confident and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her closer. She took it a step further and reached for his neck to steady herself just a bit.

She had never been kissed before and it was so much more than she thought it would be. Probably because it was with Maddox.

Just as they both fell off the edge, the ringing of Maddox's phone interrupted them. Immediately pulling back, Maddox blinked for a second as it just hit him that he kissed Evelyn. Clearly being snapped out of whatever lust he was feeling brought him back to his senses.

"I'll be outside," he stated in a hard tone before walking out stiffly.

Watching him leave, she sighed internally. How stupid she'd been to think something could've happened between them.

Turning around to stare at herself in the mirror, she knew why he would never feel for a girl like her. The faint bruises dusting across her collarbone and the scars running up and down her arms weren't the most inviting of marks. The foundation Aubrey applied to her skin hid most of the discoloration that had occurred due to relentless beatings, but Evelyn could point out exactly where each bruise and scar was. She could recite exactly how she got each one and when it happened. It was engraved into her brain.

Maddox would never like how she looked.

Although that upset her inside, she also knew to stop making herself need someone. She'd learn to love herself eventually, the time wasn't now and probably won't be until much later, but she'd learn. She didn't need someone to make her feel better about herself. That dependence left the moment Maddox told her she was worth appreciating.

But it would be nice to be looked at like she was someone's world. There was nothing wrong in wanting others to notice the beauty one worked hard to notice themselves.

Biting her bee-stung lips, she rushed to put Aubrey's gorgeous Dolce and Gabbana heels from when Aubrey's parents still considered her their daughter. The heels were black with sparkling silver detail on the very back. Gently putting down the fly sways of her hair, she reapplied the nude shade of lipstick, wanting to keep herself looking as natural as possible.

Looking in the mirror once more, she gave herself a once over of the final outcome.

She still wasn't beautiful.

No matter how much she tried, she'd never be like Aralyn or someone like Tiana Reeves. Maybe it was time to accept that instead of always giving herself false hope.

Grabbing the small purse Aubrey let her borrow, she quietly made her way across the room to open the door. Resting her hand on the handle, she took a deep breath. It would be awkward to face Maddox after what had just happened.

Just do it.

Kissing the little pride she had goodbye, she turned the handle before walking out into the dimly lit hallway. Slowly making her way to the living room, she paused around the corner. Aubrey and Maddox were making small talk and it was now or never.

Hesitantly stepping out, she made her presence known due to the clicking of her high heels. Grabbing their attention, she looked down when she noticed Maddox turn to analyze her appearance.

"It's perfect," Aubrey said with a genuine smile. Nodding her head, she squealed before rushing to wrap Evelyn in a long-needed hug.

"You'll be the most beautiful girl there," she quietly whispered in Evelyn's ear.

Letting go, she stepped aside for Evelyn to walk forwards towards Maddox. He hadn't said a thing, but she felt his eyes on her. Shifting from one foot to the other, she nervously clasped her hands together.

"What do you think?" she softly asked.

Looking up at his curtained eyes, there was no emotion shown on his stoic expressionless face.

"It's good," he responded with a nod, "Let's go. We'll be late."

Her heart dropped as he turned on his heel and walked out the door. It wasn't supposed to go like that.

Aubrey walked up to where she was. Placing a hand in her shoulder, she squeezed it in comfort.

"It's okay."

Shrugging her friend's sympathy off, Evelyn shook her head as tears threatened to spill. Blinking a few times to stop herself from crying, she sniffled before lifting her head up and giving Aubrey a smile.

A smile that they both knew was fake.

"I should go now," she said with a light laugh trying not to break down, "don't want to keep him waiting."

But all Evelyn wanted to do was stay back. She didn't want to go anymore. She knew compared to others, she most likely looked like trash. And with Maddox's disheartening reaction, she felt even more insecure than usual.

This is what happened when she liked someone. She gave them her judgement.

They were always smart enough not to do the same.

☙❦❧

An update the day after?!

So since I was absent for three weeks, I'm writing chapters to make up and I'm posting those chapters as soon as I'm done so here you go.

I'll start on the next chapter and that'll be up by either today or tomorrow. Who knows, you might just get an update every day the rest of this week. Not likely though.

Hope you loved this chapter as much as me. I'm super proud of myself haha.

Hit that star down below, share your thoughts by commenting and be the most extra person ever by following!

Love you guys. Xx. ♥︎

~ Shay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 345 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
26K 1.5K 59
7 months after the tragic death of her father, Hayley Jones finally feels like she can breath again. After giving up drinking and partying, things ac...
281K 49.6K 87
*Could you ever love a broken person?* "I understand that you're broken," he said as he lifted her chin so she stared directly into his eyes. "But I...
14 6 20
THIS IS THE ORIGINAL VERSION! Second Installmemt of Emmi and Maddox's love story. ----------------------------------------------------------------- A...