Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Twenty Three

1.5K 311 56
By WeirderMum

I was so hurt. Everyone had already judged us to be the bad egg. Everyone is now at liberty to see mum and her children as obstinate unsupportive while his family has become his saving grace.

This unwanted greeting demoralized mum the more. Is this how birthdays ought to be?

In the next minute, everyone had filed out of the massive church building, except us of course. Dad has left with his siblings and Eby and for the second time, I was grateful we had aunty Mma.

The drive to the new house was quiet with negative energy hovering in the atmosphere. Mum couldn't pull herself together even though her tears has stopped to fall.

Everything was in place when we got there with everyone charming with big bold smiles plastered on their lips.

"You have to beat them in this game. You must have to act like all is fine" Aunty Mma said as mum and I step out of the car. I didn't need to be told twice as I garnered all my strength, appearing as bold as I could muster.

"You don't look like you're older than me with a year, you still look beautiful and those reds makes you appear alien" I said to mum. She tilted her head towards me, expressionless. "I mean you can get in there and get any man you want, just make sure you pick a wealthy one, I don't want to worry my beauty head about where my next meal will come from"

Mum was dazed, but burst out laughing.

I knew I needed to make her laugh, to save her. I needed her to understand she's beautiful, and strong, and charming.

"We need to go in" Aunty Mma said, her lips twitching in smiles. Her eyes bore the words 'thank you'. I just nodded.

We volunteered to support her walk but she wouldn't have it. "I have to walk on my own. Even though I might be slow, I still want to do it" She said with a tone of finality. We let her be.

We majestically made an entrance into the compound. It was more beautiful than I remembered it. I'd certainly give it to Miss Eby, It was a great work. My own designer had designed my little canopy just the way I requested and had already placed the balloons, chairs and my full length banner. The music was very loud. Deafening I must confess.

One more step and our eyes locked with my dad’s mum. She went haywire on seeing aunty Mma, and like a raging tiger rushed towards us.

"Leave this compound now!" She ordered, standing right in her face.

"And she goes no where!" Mum replied stepping in between them. Mum wasn’t shivering unlike before and looked ready for the worst.

The commotion attracted some invitees, aunty Tee and dad was there in a flash.

“Nneka, quietly ask your friend to leave. She isn’t invited cos I can't remember doing that! Dad ordered.

“Yes you didn’t Emeka, I did, so she stays” Mum replied and held aunty’s hand, leading her in.

“This is my house and my law stands. She isn’t welcomed!" Dad barked. I watched as his eyes flickered to aunty Mma. "Chidinma  please leave!” He commanded, showing her the gate.

By now everyone was gathered on the spot, with some politely asking our visitor to leave.

Aunty Mma didn’t want to cause any further damage, so she pleaded with mum to let her go.

Mum flashed her an angry look, and held her hand more firmly while staring dad in the face. Just then Zara came running to mum and mum held her with her other hand, lifted her easily and landed her on her shoulder.

And then she gave dad a cocky smile, nodded to me and like a robot, we all turned and left.

“Come back here Adaoma! Right now!” Dad commanded in a thick deep voice. I acted deaf, smiling as we all walked triumphantly out of the compound. I bet they watched us board aunty’s car.

All seated, aunty turned to mum with a pleading eyes. "Please don't do this. Go back in, at least let Ada have her birthday"

Mum was silent.

I looked out the window. Everyone had filed out at the gate, watching what will happen next. Aunty was still pleading with mum to go back.

“Mma start this car or I will alight and look for a cab!” Mum said with the coldest voice I've ever heard. Aunty did as she was told.

I bet they all had a great show.

Immediately we stepped into aunty's house, mum switched off her phone. She went straight to the bedroom, laid on the bed and slept off peacefully.

Aunty was worried, so was I. We've never seen mum in such strong mood, ever. We kept checking on her just to ensure she was fine.

And yes, she was doing great.

Half an hour later, aunty’s phone rang. Aunty stared at her phone unbelievably. "It's your dad!"

I arched my brow. Okay, that's weird. I smiled up at her and encouraged her to pick.

"I know it's weird I'm calling you, but her phone is off and I need to know where they are, and if they're okay." I heard him say.

Aunty was silent.

I could hear the wild breeze make hovering sound from his end.

"Please" he added gently.

Aunty smiled. "They're fine, and at my place"

"Please I want to come see them, at least for Ada to have her birthday"

"I'm in dire need to make her birthday a success, so yes you can come over" She replied. "Even though I know my bestie might kill me" She added hitting the end button.

Within minutes, dad drove in with a strange face I hadn't met before,  not that I've met many of his friends though. With the door already open, they walked into the corridor and dad quietly asked to speak with me.

Aunty nodded an approval to me while she takes dad's friend in.

"Please Ada, just join me so you can have your party, cut your cake please. People are waiting"

I exploded. “You think everything is about your money and birthdays. You don’t seem to get it, do you? You have done so many bad things these days that I've lost count, but going for family offertory for your new house without your family? Dad? Why? How could you?”

“It wasn’t my making. Honestly, I thought your mum would rent a cab. I didn’t know she was waiting for me!” he said.

“Cab? So you expected mum to walk that distance after the pains you put her through? After beating her to the point of coma? Have you forgotten so suddenly that you broke her leg? So which one would she use to walk that mile? Tell me dad?” I was in tears now.

I heard a footstep and swirled around to find his friend standing behind me. The look on his face would be better described as horrifying.

“What are you talking about Ada?” he asked. Obviously he knows me, well I have some learning to do.

“Ask him, he's your friend” I replied, and turning to dad I said “And mind you, we're not going anywhere until you do right by mum!” Granting one more glance on the man I've once admired, I turned and walked out, and into the sitting room.

Mum was now awake and in the sitting room. She didn't wait for me to walk in before wrapping her hands around me, bringing me into a warm embrace. Aunty was standing far off, moping at us.

“For the first time in my life, I've seen you in a different angle, not just as a daughter but as my friend, my confidant and my little shepherd." She releases her hold, but still buried her eyes in mine. "You've stood by me and have taken many bold steps which I've been afraid to take all my life" Her eyes haven't left mine for they are still locked in them. And her voice began to croak, as though she'd cry. "You're the bolder version of me and I bless the the day I conceived you” Mum added in tears and hugged me more.

From where we stood, we could hear arguments and murmurs and I knew instantly that his friend was confronting him.

Silence.

Then a knock.

Aunty Mma walked to the door, opening it a little, enough to see who it was.

“Yes?” she answered.

“Please can we see Ada and the mum?” It was dad's friend.

Since we've already heard it, I looked at mum who nodded in agreement. We held hands and with the door wide open, we walked out. Zara was already outside, how did she manage to sneak out? That child.

“Madam, good morning” That was dad’s friend, again. Mum smiled.

“Daniel, longest time. Good morning. How are your wife and kids?”

“They're okay Nne, and at the new house now. We're all waiting for you and Ada. Please calm down and let us go, I promise we'll discuss this after the ceremony. Let's just save your family’s dignity first, people have already started talking” He pleaded.

I glanced at mum and read her instantly. She's already feeling bad for walking out on everyone, and extra bad that she's dragging dad’s name to the mud. I knew I needed to stop her. Intuitively, I squeezed her hand to stop her from speaking first.

“Dad must do right by mum if he wants us to go with him” I insisted.

Mum glanced at me and returned a stern face. She was silent.

“What? Ada you are my daughter, and must do as I say” Dad commanded.

“You see Mr. Daniel" I began, my eyes shifting to his friend. "He's still acting like this and I'm sorry we can't help you" I turned to face my dad. "I'm sure he'd love to have his little ceremony alone with his real family. Oh I meant his mum and siblings, and Zara can be a bonus too. He should leave mum and I alone” I snapped and pulling mum's hand, I turned to leave.

“Okay! I’m sorry Ada. Forgive me and come with me”. He was quick with the apology. Too quick.

“Not to me, to my mum” I insisted, turning to him. His friend gave him a little push. A nudge that got him to speak.

“I’m sorry Nneka, please come with me” He said with obvious difficulty.

“And I'll have to come with Mma too” mum added “

“I didn’t…" His friend didn't let him finish his sentence as he spanked his back, loudly so that dad growled in pain. Dad cast him an angry stare, but with a cocky smile he replied,  “You don’t have much of a choice you know”.

“Okay fine, you can come with her but no fights, please”

“Then warn your siblings, I'm not a mad dog that loves to fight” Aunty cut in. She's been standing there all along and wasn’t having anyone calling her names. I just love her. She can stand for her right, no wonder dad's family are so afraid of her staying too close. They know her kind of person, never the typical average African desperate young lady. I must certainly be like her when the time comes.

“And you'll help mum into the car” I told dad with no option of saying no. " Or better still carry her" I added, a sentence that got me daggers lodging into my eyeballs.

What did I say wrong?

Don't a girl have the right to dream?

He tried to help mum walk but she was in so much pains and couldn’t walk as fast as he wanted. Shaking his head, he lifted her gently and turned to the car.

Surprisingly, Zara began to clap, her little face bubbling with smiles. I must confess, It was loving to watch, but if only it was done in a good spirit. Let’s hope one day.
******

Hi people.

Please click that star button to make me happy. I love it when you vote on my chapters, they actually motivate me to write more.

And yes share and recommend.

Forgive any typos and don't forget to point them out. Please.

Finally, how do you feel about this chapter?

Who won the first round? 😂

Till tomorrow people...

Thanks for your massive support 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 437 17
"Listen to me Qurratul Ayn, before you go, I want to know; did I ever offend you? Is my love for you too little?" I can feel his hand hovering over m...
2.5K 110 29
I trace my nails on my beloveds stomach, tracing the deep scars which were conceived out of hatred. I look up at him through my lashes "My love". He...
84.7K 3.8K 20
I limped towards the kitchen after sending him an email, that I'm on leave today. I couldn't even able to walk properly as I was feeling sore down th...
12.6K 1.7K 31
Ibrahim, an easy going man who can sacrifice his happiness, if it means his son gets to have a mother. Maryam, a broken soul who found happiness i...