Magic Revealed

By KindredCoffee

Starting at the beginning of Season 4, Lancelot and Merlin manage to close the rift without a sacrifice. With... More

Under Your Nose
Fireside
At Your Mercy
Merlin's Tale
The Prince and The Warlock
Give Me Back My Wallet
The Future of Albion
Long Live The King
Magic Is Not Evil
Merlin You Idiot
My King
Stuff To Do
Returning Home
Shut Up Gwaine
Dragonlord
Thank You For Everything
Hunting
Creating and Maintaining
Future
King of Legend
Something Like That
A Bit Drunk
Author Message (Not a chapter)
Isn't That The Truth
Goodnight My Lord
King's Orders
Merlin Himself
Wait
Poison
Short and Sweet
Quite Alright
Gold Eyes
Intruder
Authors Note (Not A Chapter)
Starting Out
No Answer
For The Love of Camelot
Lyra Heldin
I Got Tagged
Illusion
Returning To Camelot
Sachi
Nor Would I

A Bit Quiet

7.9K 379 170
By KindredCoffee

Merlin was riding next to Gwaine when he heard it. Or more accurately, didn't hear it. "Gwaine?" He said quietly, shifting closer in the procession of horses so he could keep his voice low, "Isn't it a bit quiet?"

Gwaine looked around, "Huh. Other than the horses... Yeah." 

Merlin's eyes flicked around the forest, "There isn't anyone around." He said quietly,  "So why are there no animals?"

"We scared them off?" Gwaine suggested.

Merlin shook his head, "That doesn't make any sense. This path is used pretty often."

Gwaine shrugged, "Maybe it's nothing."

"Gwaine when is it ever nothing?" Merlin asked giving the forest around them a sour look, "That's like you going to the tavern and not drinking." 

"So never." Percival said, startling both of them. They turned in their saddles to stare at the big knight behind them. He shrugged, "Just saying." 

Gwaine scowled at him, "Thanks for the support Perc."

"It's true!" Merlin shifted his horse aside so Percival could fall in line with them. "You always drink even if we're only stopping by."

Gwaine  reached over and smacked Percival's shoulder, "Shhhh. We aren't talking about that. We're talking about  the absence of animals."

Percival nodded, "I know. Have you considered the fact that maybe we've scared them all off? Because this road may be used but never this much."

Merlin sighed, "Maybe. Doesn't sit right with me though."

Gwaine snorted, "You are paranoid."

"Do you know how many times I've nearly died?" Merlin complained, "I have every right to be paranoid."  

Gwaine patted his back, "Don't worry. I'm sure it'll be fine."

Merlin gave him a look that showed he was unconvinced but didn't say anything more. 

∆∆∆

"I told you it was weird!" Merlin hissed. "Merlin you are paranoid" he mimicked Gwaine. "But look what happened!"

"Shut up Merlin!" Gwaine complained, "How was I supposed to know that the band of magical freaks could control animals?" 

"Well maybe if you guys just accepted that I may actually know a few things we wouldn't be in this situation!"

Percival grunted, "He has a point." He grumbled as he looked around, "Any more death birds?"

"You would never think that pidgeons could be scary until their dive bombing you." Gwaine muttered.

Merlin looked around, blue eyes flecked with gold due to how much magic he'd used to sheild the majority of the precession from the random animals that had suddenly attacked them. "You think it's over?"

Percival looked around at the number of dead pidgeons around their horses, "I hope so."

Merlin stood in the stirrups to see ahead of him, "You think everyone is okay?"

Gwaine looked around, "Well I don't hear anymore yelling."

Arthur?

I'm okay. The response was immediate. Arthur and Morgana had been up at the front of the precession. Merlin, Gwaine and Percival had taken the middle. While Mordred's was in the back. It was an efficient way of communicating with how much distance there was between them. Morgana held off the big stuff while everyone went after the little ones.

Good. Keep your guard up.

I'm the king Merlin. Arthur quiped but Merlin could tell he didn't mind.

Mordred's? Everyone okay back there?

Yes. Got a little scratched up but I think farther up with you got the brunt of it.

Morgana's voice echoed in both their heads, I don't understand why it didn't effect our horses. Why was it just the local animals?

Merlin fiddled with the ring on this finger, "Good question." He muttered out loud.

Gwaine and Percival stared at him. "What?"

"Talking to Morgana and Mordred." Merlin said frowning, "It could have been set up before hand. That would make sense."

Gwaine and Percival looked at each other, "Why does he feel the need to talk out loud?" Gwaine whispered.

Percival shrugged, "Are we ever going to ask about that ring?"

Gwaine looked at the ring that Merlin was still twisting around his finger as he listened to Morgana and Mordred. "Eh. I'd rather not. I've seen that thing glow and Id rather not die by the hands of our resident warlock."

Percival nodded,"Are we ever going to ask about whether Merlin and Arthur-" Gwaine held up a hand and the knight stopped, "What?"

Gwaine just grinned, "Tell you later."

Merlin's eyes refocused and he looked over at them, "Were going to keep moving. And have extra guards tonight."

Their was a screech from above their heads and everyone looked up to see more birds dive-bombing them. Merlin raised a hand and stopped them in mid air, "Birds. I never thought I'd be so anxious about birds."

"Paranoid." Gwaine muttered. Merlin flicked a hand and the birds we set on the ground away from the path, apparently asleep.

Merlin scowled at Gwaine, "You are digging a hole."

Percival nodded, "You really should stop doubting him." Gwaine rolled his eyes at the other knight and the called to the people around them to get a move on. The three of them remained quiet for the rest of that day's ride, only speaking to warn of animals approaching them.

When the order to set up for the night reached them everyone was uneasy. There were still birds swooping in on them every now and the stray deer occasionally charged them and spooked the horses only to be held back by a magical barrier that Merlin had created. 

By the time the whole party had set up camp they had been charged by three deer, a whole flock of pigeons, and a few wolves. Percival had pointed out that the wolves were at the moment the most dangerous. "We should just hope that we don't have any bears or lynxes come after us. Or hawks. Those pigeons are bad enough."

Merlin was sitting by the fire that had been set up near he and Arthur's tent, staring at it like he wasn't fully there. Gwaine and Percival had sat beside him when they finished with their tent but remained quiet, not bothering him as he seemed to concentrate on something they couldn't see.

After about an hour Arthur and Morgana finally walked up, finished with checking on the other knights. Arthur frowned at Merlin who still hadnt looked up before glancing at Percival and Gwaine.

"He hasn't moved since he finished with the tent." Percival said quietly. "We have no clue what he's doing. Didn't even help with the food for once."

Arthur grimaced and sat down on the other side of Merlin, "Merlin you should eat."

Merlin's eyes remained focused on the fire but he nodded slightly. Arthur sighed and looked up at Morgana, "Any idea what he's doing?"

"Probably trying to find the source of the spell that's making the animals attack us." Morgana said slowly, "There's no telling how far that spell reaches or who's casting it so it's probably taking a lot of concentration."

Gwaine snorted, "And he's protecting us with that sheild at the same time."

Morgana nodded, "Definitely a stretch for his mind."

Merlin suddenly sat up, "Mother of-" he cut himself off, "How am I so stupid?"

"You're Merlin?" Gwaine supplied.

Merlin didn't pay attention and was instead muttering more magic words under his breath. When he finally stopped he sighed, "That should protect us for now." He sighed, "Even if the source of the magic is too far away all it's doing is driving them to us so all I have to do is hide us from the animals senses. And then they'll leave us alone. I think. I keeping the ward up just in case."

Arthur handed Merlin a bowl of soup, "Eat Merls. You've been using magic all day. I'm sure your hungry."

"I could eat a horse." Merlin agreed taki the bowl and beginning to eat happily. After he a moment he paused, "I take that back. I like my horse."

Gwaine laughed and Arthur rolled his eyes, ruffling Merlin's hair with a free hand before scooting over slightly, closer to Merlin, so Morgana could sit next to him on the blanket that they were sitting on.

Morgana sat down and took a bowl of soup for herself. "Hmm. Looks like I owe Gwen a new dress"

Everyone frowned at her but she just smiled in the way that made everyone remember that she could be quite terrifying if she wanted to be. Gwaine went back to eating immediately, knowing exactly what she meant and trying to eat so it wouldn't be so obvious he was trying not to laugh. Percival looked over at Merlin and Arthur in confusion but Arthur just shrugged. Merlin on the other hand sighed and kept on eating.

When Leon joined them a few minutes later he didn't comment on how Morgana and Gwaine looked somewhat smug. He'd learned the hard way that the two of them should be left alone when they had that look.

∆∆∆

Later that night Gwen found a note on her bed back in Camelot. She opened it in confusion.

My dearest Gwen,

I lost our bet. I believe I owe you a new dress. Though I do believe we are going to have to talk about the design. You really do need something for formal occasions my dear. All is well and I hope to see you soon.

Your friend,
Morgana

P.S. I am unsure whether my brother thinks us all to be blind and deaf but "Merls" seems to be aware of the fact that I am not. As is Gwaine.

Gwen laughed out loud. "Of course." She muttered to herself as she tucked the note away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 3.5K 19
When Merlin shows Arthur his secret, he doesn't take it so well. He banish Merlin from Camelot and his return will be punished by death. But soon aft...
17.8K 663 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
532 64 19
When a new Villain invades Camelot and seeks the Pendragon's demise, Morgana must put her feelings aside and join her brother to fight against the tr...
217K 11.1K 29
Merthur AU (Set around early season 4) Arthur Pendragon is the new king of Camelot having assumed the throne after his father's death at the hands of...