A Different Kind of Heaven [...

By Silmarilz1701

Official Wattpad Tolkien Fanfic Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Tolkien Top 10 in Silmarillion from 2018... More

A Different Kind of Heaven
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Summons
Chapter 2: The Meeting
Chapter 3: Seven Sons
Chapter 4: How Many Cousins
Chapter 5: The Market
Chapter 6: Constellations
Chapter 7: Plans
Chapter 8: Small Reminders
Chapter 9: Learning Curve
Chapter 10: Above the Waves
Chapter 11: Jewel Shores
Chapter 12: Many Meetings
Chapter 13: Lessons and Memories
Chapter 14: Midnight Serenade
Chapter 15: Who's Who
Chapter 16: The Road Well Travelled
Chapter 17: The Festival
Chapter 18: Horse Racing
Chapter 19: Apples to Apples
Chapter 20: An Archer's Game
Chapter 21: Gardens of Paradise
Chapter 22: Sketches
Chapter 23: Liquid Silver
Chapter 24: Awkward Conversations
Chapter 25: Shut Up and Dance
Chapter 26: Food and Fellowship
Chapter 27: Hey Brother
Chapter 28: All the Emotions
Chapter 29: City of the Gods
Chapter 30: See the Light
Chapter 31: Spinner of Words
Epilogue
A Thank You

Chapter 32: The First Engagement

1.2K 65 315
By Silmarilz1701

A/N: Wanted to let you know at the beginning... This is the LAST full chapter for this story in the trilogy. Soon I will release an epilogue/teaser, a thank you page for all my readers, and then the first chapter of A Different Kind of Purgatory. But more about that at the end. Enjoy!

Findekáno walked Eve home that evening. Silver and darkness mingled in the air together, and street lamps glowing with mystical flames lit the way back to Fëanáro and Nerdanel's. They held hands but didn't speak. A few other elves passed them by but barely noticed who they were. Finno kept glancing at her and Eve finally broke down laughing.

"What?!" she demanded, stopping under a tree at the side of the road.

Finno paused and chuckled a moment later. He faced her and shook his head. "I just... I feel so much like Turvo it almost makes me sick."

"Really?" she laughed along with him. "Does liking me always make you feel sick?"

Finno protested instantly. "That is unfair. That is not what I meant!"

Eve giggled and swung her arm, pulling his hand along as they stood beside the road. "I know. I just wanted to scare you."

"You are terrible," Finno muttered, feigning disappointment and dropping her hand.

"It's really too easy." But as she found herself looking at Finno, her eyes locked on his own and she found she couldn't look away. It was his turn to smirk, causing her to pout, but still she looked at him.

Finno winked. "Now who's staring?"

But Eve merely nodded and continued matter-of-factly. "In my defense, I've said since the beginning that you're gorgeous." Finno burst out laughing, doubling over, causing Eve to grin. "What? Didn't expect that response?"

"No I did not." He grabbed her hand again and pulled her down the road. "Come on. You promised to show me the painting you did of Alqualondë!"

Eve smiled and hurried after him. They walked the last mile or so to the house of Fëanáro, and when they got there they found the front yard empty but heard shouting and laughter from around the back. Eve and Finno went to join them. When they reached the large courtyard behind their house, they found everyone but Fëanáro and Curvo.

Nelyo sat between his mother and Káno at a table, the two sons drinking red wine together. Nearby, Moryo reclined on an outdoor sofa, reading a book. In the grass, the Ambarussa ran around playing ball. Eve smiled as she saw Nerdanel laughing alongside her two eldest sons beside her at the antics of the Ambarussa.

"Eve!" Pityo shouted suddenly, halting for a brief moment before running through the grass and across the patio to where Finno and Eve came around on the path. "Finno's here too!"

By now the light had fully fallen, but there were many torches in the back to light the area, and as Eve had discovered upon arriving in Valinor, nights were hardly dark at all because of Telperion. She grabbed Pityo in a hug when he ran to her.

"There's the newest couple in the House of Finwë!" Nelyo grinned, raising his glass.

Eve and Finno both shuffled when Nerdanel looked at them, but her smile eased their worries. She gestured for them to join her at the table and they did so. Eve sat next to her and Finno beside Eve.

"I am so happy for you, both of you," Nerdanel smiled taking their hands. "Don't worry about my husband either. We broke the news to him earlier and he is taking his frustration out in his forge."

"He's been spending a lot of time there," Nelyo replied in surprise. "More than usual, I mean."

"Yes," Nerdanel nodded. "He refuses to tell me what he works on, but apparently it is more challenging than anything he's ever attempted. He is always smiling when he talks of it, though, so I believe it goes well."

Finno frowned. "Curvo is with him, then?"

But Káno merely laughed before taking a drink. As he put the glass down he shook his head. "Come now. Surely you know that even Curvo is not welcome in our father's private forge."

Finno shrugged with a tiny smile as he poured himself some wine when Nelyo passed him a glass. Eve shook her head when Nelyo offered her one as well.

"When are Elenwë and Turvo going to exchange the rings, Finno?" Nelyo asked a moment later.

Finno rolled his eyes. "You aren't supposed to say anything."

But Nerdanel chuckled. "We do not take offense at the lack of invitation, Findekáno."

"I managed to convince my father to allow Nelyo and Káno invitations, actually," Finno replied somewhat awkwardly. "It took much, but they will be allowed if they desire."

"When is it, then?" Nelyo asked again.

Finno nodded. "In a week."

Nelyo paused. "I think I am busy. Too bad."

Eve gasped and smacked his arm. "You have to go!"

The other redhead snickered. But he nodded. "That was in jest. Of course I will go. I like Elenwë."

Finno smirked and sipped his wine. "And you crafted the ring for Turvo."

Nerdanel gasped and looked at her eldest son proudly. She grabbed his arm and hugged him. "I had no idea! How kind of you!"

Nelyo shrugged his mother away. "Finno begged me."

The elf in question scoffed and shook his head. "Lies."

Telvo and Pityo finally tired out, and Nerdanel stood to herd them indoors. She turned to her sons, nephew, and Eve. But Eve suddenly gasped stood up. "Nerdanel, I had hoped to show Finno a painting I did. Is there time?"

The woman nodded. "Of course."

Káno and Nelyo seemed slightly put out that she hadn't offered to show them the painting. But Finno merely winked at them and followed Eve behind Nerdanel. When they went indoors, Eve showed Finno to her bedroom and insisted he stand outside the door while she made sure the room was clean.

"I do not care," he laughed from outside the room.

Her voice came through muffled. "Well I do!"

Finally Eve opened the door and Finno went inside to join her. A large canvas, four feet across and two feet tall, sat upon a tall easel in the corner of the room. With the window and a dozen candles providing light, he gasped at the painting. Finno moved forward and looked more closely at it.

The painting depicted Alqualondë looking out from the palace balcony at night. The paint that Eve had used for the pearl domes reflected light just like the real things, and the waves at the beach seemed realistic and yet... somehow not. It was like Eve had been painting the light itself as opposed to the shapes.

"Do you like it?" she asked hesitantly.

He moved closer to it again, and thus closer to her, for she stood to the right of the painting as he looked at it. Finno stood but a foot from it now, and made no answer. But as Eve began to sputter explanations for fear that he disliked it, he shook his head and turned to her.

"It is magnificent," he assured her immediately. "I have never seen its like, for it is so different from the prevailing styles of our people."

Eve grinned and went to stand beside him. He turned to her and again they locked eyes, and again Eve at least could not look away, and Finno certainly didn't want to. Finally he spoke quietly.

"Elmendë truly is a good name for you," he smiled down at her.

She chuckled and stood up tall to kiss him. They stayed like that for a moment before breaking apart when a knock sounded on the door. She rolled her eyes with a tiny smile and called for whoever it was to enter. Nerdanel appeared at the door.

"Just wanted to let you all know that Nelyo and Káno are ready to leave if you are, Finno," she said quickly, a knowing smile on her face. "Unless you wish to stay a bit longer, of course."

Eve laughed and pushed Finno forward. "Go. I'll come find you tomorrow."

As he walked out he pointed to her. "Promise?"

"Pinky promise!" she joked, knowing full well he would have no idea what that meant. "After all, I suppose I'll have to explain that to you too."

Finno laughed and shook his head, following Nerdanel out into the house and leaving Eve by herself. When her door closed behind them she let out a squeal and jumped excitedly into her bed. He had liked her painting! With that, she undressed and bathed, washing her hair with flowery soap and then heading to bed.

For several days she hung around with Finno and Turvo, helping in small ways with the preparations for the engagement. The day of, she and Finno went to pick up the cake from the bakery. Eve had insisted on helping design it three days prior when they had first gone. Blue, black, and silver were the predominant colors along with yellow-golden flowers. It stood two layers and had white icing as the primary color.

After they delivered the cake back to Nolofinwë's where the ceremony was to take place, Eve hurried home to change into a nice gold and pink dress. She pulled on her sandals and Nerdanel helped her with her hair. Fëanáro was still nowhere to be seen. It had been four days since she last caught sight of him. Nelyo and Káno stopped by an hour prior to the ceremony and together all three of them made their way to Nolofinwë's. Eve could feel Nelyo and Káno both tensing as they approached the house of their half uncle.

"Ready?" Eve smiled with a nod as they paused at the front of the walkway up.

Nelyo rolled his eyes and pushed her forward. "Lead the way."

She scoffed and went up the pathway to the front door. In a small bag was the gift she had put together for Elenwë and Turvo; she had painted a small piece based on Elenwë's and Turvo's favorite flowers, and drawings of the rings either person had gotten for the other. Nelyo and Káno had brought a bottle of wine. She knocked and Finno answered immediately.

"Hello!" He smiled, beaming from ear to ear. "Everyone is in the back. Come on."

They went inside, leaving their gifts on the dining room table, and followed Finno through to the back of the house. They exited through an open door and out into the massive patio and green space that was Anairë and Nolofinwë's house.

A half dozen or so Vanyar stood interspersed among the Noldor, and Lady Eärwen alone of the Falmari stood there as well. Finno immediately led Eve, Nelyo, and Káno to where the cousins all stood chatting. Findaráto and his brother Aiko and Ango chatted with Turvo, Elenwë, Eldalótë, and Amarië. Iríssë and Artanis sat nearby drawing with pencils.

"And there they are," Findo grinned.

Nelyo and Káno both laughed at his eagerness, stepping between Findo and Finno, as far from Aiko and Ango as they could get. Eve stood to Finno's other side, sandwiching herself in next to Elenwë.

"Are you two excited then," Eve asked eagerly.

Elenwë laughed at her. "Of course."

"You look amazing, by the way," Eve replied instantly, taking in Elenwë's white, pink, and green dress. The base was white, with a decoration of vines and flowers all over it. "Seriously you look so good."

The Vanya chuckled and shook her head. "Thank you."

Suddenly everything quieted as Nolofinwë and Elenwë's father called for silence. Elenwë and Turvo retrieved small bags from their respective fathers as the entire group joined in a semi circle on the patio before them.

"We gather here to witness the betrothal of Elenwë and Turukáno," Nolofinwë began. "We are greatly pleased to see you all here."

Eve noted that his gaze lingered a bit longer on the two sons of Fëanáro, though she couldn't tell if it was out of appreciation or disappointment. Káno dipped his head slightly in reply but Nelyo met his gaze, head high and unwavering. Nolofinwë continued then.

"Turukáno. Do you pledge to enter unto the one year period of betrothal with Lady Elenwë?" Nolofinwe looked at her warmly.

"I do," replied his on with a soft smile, looking only at his beloved.

Nolofinwe nodded. "And Lady Elenwë, do you pledge to enter unto the one year period of betrothal with Lord Turukáno?"

She smiled back her beloved. "I do."

Eve paused and watched curiously. As Nolofinwe told them to exchange rings, she saw them each open the tiny satchel bag and pull out gorgeous works of craftsmanship. The one Turvo placed on Elenwë's finger had been shaped of reddish gold, with a gem of deep blue attached by small, vine like supports so that it seemed like a flower upon a plant. Turvo's was simpler, but no less beautiful. Crafted of light gold, nearly silver, and smooth with a diamond upon the top, it echoed the simplicity he always seemed to exude.

As they kissed, and everyone clapped, Eve found herself grinning like crazy. And yet inside, she felt unsure, for she wished this had been for Sophia and Christopher back in her old life. But quickly she reminded herself that this was no less beautiful. As the clapping died down, she felt Finno take her hand and a new, small smile crept onto her face. Together they went to congratulate the betrothed.

Finno grabbed his brother in a massive hug, and Eve swore she saw tears in both their eyes. She missed what was said between them, but the look in their eyes as they looked at each other said it all. Finno had never been prouder of his brother. Eve embraced Elenwë and congratulated her as Nelyo and Káno shook Turvo's hand.

"I'm sorry for you, Elenwë," Nelyo joked when he came to her. "Sorry you got stuck with him."

But she would hear none of it and grabbed him in a hug, though he had to slightly bend down to embrace her. Eve heard her thank him for the ring, to which he paused and blushed in surprise.

When they broke apart he chuckled. "You were not supposed to know that."

But she rolled her eyes. "I know everything that goes on in the House of Finwë, Nelyo."

The party continued until the evening. Nelyo suggested, once the majority of the older generation had departed or gone to rest, that the cousins head to the gardens of the palace. They all agreed, and everyone, minus the two young daughters, headed towards the Great Square. Telperion glowed and the constellations shone high above them. There would be no rain tonight.

Káno had brought his harp, and as they lounged in the palace courtyard and gardens, he began to play. Findo took out his own and joined his cousin, to the pleasure of the others. Eldalótë and Angaráto disappeared an hour or so later, but Ango remained and lay on the grass staring up at the stars. Eve sat against a large, decorative rock formation with Nelyo to her right and Finno to her left. Elenwë and Turvo sat nearby and across from them, to the other side of the harpists.

"Comfortable," Nelyo asked Eve quietly a few hours later as she leaned against Finno slightly. He could tell she was growing tired.

With a quiet chuckle she nodded, not removing herself from Finno's shoulder. Both her adopted brother and the elf she now courted looked at her and she laughed. "Yes. Don't move me."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Finno replied in a whisper.

They stayed there the entire night, listening to the ever changing melodies of Findaráto and Kánafinwë. Eve did end up drifting to sleep for a bit, but awoke before Laurelin's waxing. When at last they got up to leave the palace gardens, she decided to head back with Káno and Nelyo to their house for a bit.

As she and Kano began walking towards his house, chatting merrily, Nelyo stayed behind. Finno had left already, walking beside Aiko and Findo. But the redhead waited for Turvo.

He stood with Turvo and Elenwë, watching Eve walk one direction and Finno the other, and smiled. But Turvo turned to him.

"Do you think it will last," he asked him without turning to face the redhead.

Nelyo smirked. "Absolutely."

Elenwë agreed immediately, smiling after Eve's disappearing form. "Finno is much more caring than you both give him credit for. I am not surprised at how they are already falling for each other."

"Agreed. They both deserve it," Nelyo nodded. Then he turned to the newly betrothed. "I better catch up with Eve and my brother. Congratulations, again."

Turvo nodded his thanks. "I think there are to be a lot of congratulations for the House of Finwë in the years to come. Eldalótë and Angaráto are next, and Findo and Amarië, but maybe..."

"Maybe Eve and Finno," Elenwë finished.

-*- -*- -*- -*- -*- -*-

Fin

-*- -*- -*- -*- -*- -*-

Author's Note 2:

WE DID IT FRIENDS!

After way too many words, I finally finished the final chapter. With just an epilogue to go, I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on how this went.

Give me your best and worst feedbacks.

Give me your love and hatred.

How did you enjoy the ending?

What do you think the little epilogue is going to be? GIVE ME GUESSES.

Who's been your favorite character so far? Eve, Nelyo, and Finno are all tied for me. This may be about the cute couple, but Third Wheel Nelyo is a joy to write.

Don't forget, A Different Kind of Purgatory will be up and running soon. I will post it at the same time as the dedications/thank you chapter after the epilogue, so be on the look out. Things are about to get MESSY. After all, Good ol' Melkor is about to crash the party.

Thanks again, lovelies. You're all beautiful people inside and out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 609 26
'Elthríel listened with rapt attention as Finrod, laying on his back and staring at the clear sky above him, spoke about the beauty of the Trees of V...
17K 307 24
For everyone who dreams of a life far, far away in Middle Earth. Settling down with one of the fine Elves Tolkien created. This is a collection of fl...
15.4K 1K 22
Sequel to "A Different Kind of Heaven," but takes place thirty-six Valian Years later (340+ Earth years). Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Maedhr...
63.4K 2.2K 40
***Official Wattpad LOTR Fanfic*** Here follows the story of Thranduil, newly crowned King of the Woodland Realm. These pages tell of how he met the...