Just do it โˆš

By Cephasqueen

Born into poverty, hatred, hustle and neglect, Aramide was forced to become matured at such a tender age. She... More

One
Two
Challenge.
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
SORRY
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty_Five
Twenty-six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Epilogue
Familiar Foe

Five

2.5K 459 30
By Cephasqueen

      It was the last day of our holidays and my mom finally showed up. She looked exhausted, her heavy workload was telling off on her.

I didn't get why she had to work so much when it was just the two of us she had to carter for. What was the point in earning all that money if she didn't get the time to enjoy it?

She hugged me tight and the apologies wasted no time in flying out of her mouth. I smiled fondly as I watched her ramble, she paused when she noticed I was smiling.

'What's funny? You are supposed to be mad at me'. She said, wearing a confused expression.
'Of course I'm mad at you but I totally understand plus your apology has gone a long way in pacifying me'. She smiled easily.

'Well if that's all it takes I guess there was no need for buying all these snacks, I'll just take them home and eat them by myself'. She said smirking while pointing at the bag which sat on the hood of her car. I ran and picked it up, peering inside to find all the junks I had learnt from Abike to love.

'Thank you'. I said smiling.
Abike and I got into the car while our mothers stood talking for awhile. They finally got into the car and I was grateful that Mrs Dapo didn't think to re_enlighten us on the importance of good conduct this time.

       When we got to the school, Henrietta was waiting by the gate. We'd agreed to arrive before 10:00am but it seemed she couldn't take anymore of her annoying baby sister. I found it hard to believe there was anyone more annoying than Hen.

'Barbie!' She screamed once I opened the door, falling inside, causing me to fall on Abike. 'I've missed you babies so much'.
'Babies?' Abike and I said in unison.
'Hen? Can you maybe get off?' I asked.
'Oh yeah, Sorry'. She said rising, allowing Abike and I get out of the car.
'You got prettier barbie and look at you Bike, you got cuddlier!'

Leave it to Hen to comment on Abike's weight without sounding condescending.
'How long have you been out here?' Abike asked.
'Thirty minutes, maybe an hour'. Henrietta said nonchalantly.
'Why didn't you just go inside?'
'I was waiting for you two, durh. Now let's go in'.

We got to the administrative block where we met Marcel searching students belongings for contrabands and Chris seated beside him, listening to music on his iPod.

'Hey Chris'. Henrietta greeted flirtatiously and I rolled my eyes almost in sync with him.
'Why are you the one searching? I thought the prefects had that honor'. Abike questioned.
'Well the prefects didn't feel like it so they let us have the honors'. Chris replied taking off his headset.

'Aren't electronic gadgets supposed to be contrabands?' I asked.
'Well this one isn't'. He said with a sly grin that I wanted to slap out of his face.

'Welcome back brown eyes'. Marcel said with a smile that revealed his broken tooth but didn't manage to reach his eyes.

'Thank you. Hope your holidays were good?' I returned with a false smile of my own. He nodded, his smile not wavering.

'Well, since we're such good friends why bother with due but unnecessary process? You can head to the hostel right away, I know you are all law abiding students'.

Abike scoffed.
'Come on let's go, it's not everyday one gets a taste of Marcel's geniality'. She said dragging me along and I followed gladly.

'What's their problem?' I asked when we were out of earshot.
'Life. Those suckers just need to die'. She said.
'Abike!' Henrietta and I jeered.
'Sorry, they just really annoy me sometimes'.

We got our key and headed for our room. Rose, the prefect who was supposed to share our room with us since from the first term never showed up and the authorities forgot to assign another prefect to take her place so it was just the three of us.

We cleaned the room and put our things in place before finally giving Hen the permission to fill us in on her holiday experiences. She had so many stories to tell one would think she went on world tour.

'My mom was happy about my results especially my improvement in literature. It's all thanks to your stupid novels Bike. By the way, how was your results?' Hen said and that reminded me that my mom hadn't said anything about my results, maybe she was busy thinking of how to make it up to me for being absent during the holidays.

'Amanda?' Abike's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.
'Huh?'
'Tell Hen I do my laundry myself at home'.
'If you mean stuffing them in the washing machine and leaving to take a two hour nap? Then yeah, she does her laundry herself'. Hen bursted out laughing.
'It's so good to have you babies back'.

'Okay seriously. What's with the new nickname?' Abike asked.
'What? I love it'.
'Whatever, I'm going to bed'. I said
'Me too'. Abike added immediately, turning her back to Henrietta.
'You two are no fun'.
'Goodnight'. Abike and I said.
'Night, babies'.
I heard Abike groan and i smiled before closing my eyes, opening myself to the peaceful unconsciousness called sleep.

                                 *

'Amanda?' I heard someone say in the background.
'Mandy?' I could make out Abike's voice as she shook me lightly. I woke up and stared at her and she motioned to the front of the class where Mr. Dominic was standing, staring at me along with the entire class.

'You care to explain why you are sleeping in my class?'
I remained quiet.
'Am I boring you with my lame jokes?' He said and a few students chuckled.
'No sir. Sorry sir'. He looked at me intently before the bell rang.
'What class do you have now?' He asked.

'It's our free period sir'. The class captain answered.
'Okay'. He said packing up his things. 'Amanda, follow me to my office'. Students began murmuring but I ignored them, I was used to it by now.

       We got to his office and he unlocked the door, we walked in and he offered me a seat opposite him, a seat I had occupied severally but it still didn't feel comfortable.

'How are you?' He began, the way he always did.
'Fine, thank you'. I replied stiffly and he nodded.
'You still don't like me, I see'. He said with a small smile.
'I don't dislike you, I just don't like the fact that you keep prying in my life. It's been two weeks since the school resumed and I've been here five times already'.

'Four but that's because you won't open up to me. I'm the school's counselor and it's my duty to ensure that none of my students face difficulties while in this institute'.

'But difficulties are inevitable aren't they?'
'From all our meetings the only thing I've been able to gather is the fact that you are smart. Why then are you performing poorly academically?'

'I don't like it here. I want to go home'.
'No one is forcing you to stay here, if you really want to leave why not tell your mom?'
'I don't want to seem ungrateful. This school is so expensive, I should be glad I'm here'.
'But you are not. Why?'.
'I feel out of place here. Everyone is super smart and super rich'.
'You are too. Stop caging yourself'.
'I am not caging myself!' I flared up and he smiled.

'You should tell your mom about it'.
'I would have, if she was available during the holidays'.
'She travelled?'
I stayed quiet, drawing a sigh out of him. He knew I wasn't going to say anything anymore.
'Okay. If you have a change of heart, I'm always here, when I don't have a class that is'. I smiled despite myself, gave him a brief nod and returned to my class.

       As I walked in, the little noise died down and people tried to stare discreetly but failed.

'Hey Amanda! How was it? Finally found a cure for your idiocy?' Becca, the class wannabe queen bee said and laughed along with her friends.

'Why not concentrate on finding the cure for your attention addiction?' Henrietta returned and the rest of the class laughed. I would have preferred to give her the silent treatment but this was better. I smiled at Hen before going to my seat beside a very worried Abike.

'Wipe that look off your face sis, I'm not pregnant'. She rolled her eyes.
'You can't be sleeping in class Amanda, you have to concentrate'. I understood where she was coming from but I couldn't cheat nature.
'Okay but it's free period now and if you don't mind, not like it matters if you do, I'm going back to sleep'. I placed my head on my desk and slept till the bell went indicating P. E class.

      Mr Dan, the instructor was already at the field when we got there, he had one football in his hand and another under his left foot.
'Good day sir'. I greeted.
'Same to you, Amanda'. He replied with a smile. The rest of my mates gathered round him, most of them frowning at the ball in his hand, Abike inclusive.

'I think it's obvious how today's class is going to go so split up. Boys on one team, girls on the other, six players each'. We were just eighteen in our class and not evenly placed, hence the minimal players.

'Amanda, you'll be the captain for the female team. Marcel, for the males'. Five other players were quickly chosen to represent each team and we took our positions. I decided to play defense and so did Marcel. The whistle was blown and everyone flew into action.

Henrietta was cheering her lungs out and I was about to smile when I realized she was cheering for Chris who was approaching me swiftly with the ball, I immediately blocked his strike and passed the ball to the goalkeeper but she let it slip from her hand and enter the goalpost.

The guys erupted in cheers and Henrietta joined them but Abike gave her a knock and she stood still with a cute frown on her face.

       The game continued and at the end of the first fifteen minutes the results were; boys 2:0 girls. I gathered the girls.

'What's going on?' I asked.
'Those guys are too good we can't score against them'. One of them said.

'Why? Because we are girls? We were selected by our mates because we are just as good. If these guys defeat us today, their ego is going to be boasted by 45% and we can't have that. We need to show them that what a man can do, a woman can do even better'.

'Yeah!' They cheered.
'Don't be intimidated by their physique, most of them turn to akamu when trying to get you to be their girlfriends. Now, let's go out there and show them who rules the world'.

The girls cheered as the whistle was blown indicating the second half. We decided I'd play forward this time and it paid off because we scored two goals in seven minutes.

Marcel apparently wasn't happy about it and decided to keep the goalpost himself. Egotistic maniac. The girl who replaced me as a defender blocked Chris cleanly and passed the ball to me, she was a good player, I had to give her that.

I dribbled past the other four boys and got to Marcel, he looked at me, determined to catch the ball but I had other plans. I kicked the air towards the left and he flew in that direction, then I swiftly kicked the ball into the right side of the net and the whistle went off, we won!

       The girls gathered round and engulfed me in a huge hug. This was why I always loved sports, it made people forget their differences for a while.
'That was great, Amanda'. The defender girl said, bringing forth her hand for me to shake and I did.

'You did great too. Sorry I don't know your name.'
'Vivian'. I nodded and left to meet Abike and Hen who went on about how good I was. I felt eyes on me and turned to see Marcel staring at me with a scowl on his face. I wanted so badly to stick my tongue out at him but that would be childish so I settled for a smirk.

------------------------------------------------------
And.... The end! 😁 Just kidding.
Give it up for Girlpower!!🙌👏
I'm not into sports so forgive my errors.. Tag a girl who is a warrior in sports💪
    Comment, vote, pm me!
This one is dedicated to JessicaOji for nominating this book in the 'best undiscovered' category of the Nigerian writers award.. Kindly head there and do same🙈😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 22.8K 60
~โœจA Wattpad featured storyโœจ~ "My momma always told me that boys and books don't mix. I believed her but I still wanted both. I wanted boys and I want...
32.7K 4.6K 36
"Nimi, a frustrated church girl, encounters her biggest temptation yet when she lands herself in the arms of Lagos' most eligible bachelor..." Nimi i...
40.1K 6.8K 17
Cover by African Cover Shop @africanliterature #526 in short story [14-01-2018] #810 in short story [01-01-2018) An intriguing story of three univers...