Once upon a Princess (Atypica...

By siesie_19

If you've come expecting a fairytale about Prince Charming, Fairy Godmothers, and evil parents; You may look... More

A/N (VERY IMPORTANT)!!!! SERIOUSLY!
CAST
1. Sister,Sister
2.Bump in the road
3. Good Samaritans
4. Adjusting
5. Hartley Household
6. Princess and the Hunter
7. Nice to Meet You
8. Swing-Sets and Skills
9. Me.
10. Truth or..?
11. Books Before Boys
12. All the Right Moves
13. Not a Party till the Princess shows up
14. Hangovers and Realizations
15. Tangled?
17. A familiar face
18. Judas
19. Missing Piece
20. Back to Square one
21. Let Bygones be Bygones
22. Birthday Celebrations 1.1
23. Birthday Celebrations 1.2
24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3
25. Birthday Celebrations 1.4
26. Can I get a refund?
27. Am I a Monster?
28. The First Stage
29. The Accomplice
30. My Achilles Heel
31. Crash and Burn?
32. I don't have a horse
33. Bee-moon?
34. Welcome Back 1.1
35.Welcome Back 1.2
36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas
37. It's Christmas!
38. The Runaways
39. Lock me up
40. I Promise
EPILOGUE
Bonus (1)
Bonus (2)
A/N

16. But... I can't

382 62 69
By siesie_19

ISABELLE
Monday 13th August

"Are you sure you're sober enough to get home?"

Graham gave me a thumbs up and scrambled off the floor.

"You do know you could have slept on the bed if you wanted to," I pointed out.
He scratched his neck and eyes flitted back to the television that we were previously watching.
"It's not like I bite," I teased, throwing my pillow at him.

He caught it in one hand effortlessly and ran a hand through his bed-hair. He was merely dressed in a grey undershirt and his boxers.

"I still feel a bit buzzed," He admitted, obviously changing the topic. He sat on the edge of my bed as if he was wary of a bomb that might have been ready to explode.

When we had returned from the Town ritual and had finished an excruciatingly boring dinner with Father, Graham and I decided to head to my room to hang out. I had decided that I temporarily wanted to forget about all the things that were wrong at that moment and drank a bottle of Pink Moscato with Graham as we chatted about our lives.

"How about you? You sober enough?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

I grinned, as I snuck a glance at the empty wine bottle at my bedside table. The half bottle that I had drunk, merely made me tipsy. No one except my maid, Daphne, knew of my drinking habit.
I'd constantly feel the urge to down bottles of wine, to numb the nerves that seemed to prickle at me throughout my whole body. It was a lot, being expected to do the right thing all the time, to be a proper lady, to be a proper Princess. Sometimes the limelight got a little too much for me, I had always secretly envied Alexa for her ability to do whatever she wanted.

" Yeah. Thanks for spending the night," I said to Graham.

He shot up from the bed and slipped his dress shirt over his head.
"Not a problem, least I can do for you," He grunted as he wiggled into his dress pants.

"So where are you off to today?"
I secretly wished that he was able to stay with me, the palace was too lonely without Alexa. She left me with our overbearing father, a ton of responsibilities, and my overwhelming thoughts.

"Thunder kinda has a race later today. It takes a few hours to return home, so I think I should leave... Listen, it was scheduled two months ago, I know I promised that I'd search every-"

"It's fine, Graham."
He met my eyes hesitantly and his squinted, probably as he figured out if I was joking or not.
Since I had advised him about being less self-absorbed and obsessed about his horse, Graham tiptoed around the subject, around me.

"Really it's fine. Your men are still dutifully searching for her, so you surely are allowed a day off for yourself."

The creases disappeared from his forehead as his face brightened,
"Really? I seriously miss my horse, I-"
He paused, only to grimace as he realized he started to babble.

"You know...Forget everything I said a few days ago. If you're extremely passionate about your horse, you talk your heart away about him, don't let anyone take that away from you.
"People are too quick to assume the worst about others based on a first impression. I think you're a really great guy Graham, and I really wish others took the time to really know you like I did."

The corners of his lips upturned into a smirk, as he approached my bed and sat beside me, "Wow, is this the same girl that used to always shoot me disgusted looks from across the table whenever Alexa invited me over?"

"Oh, shut up! You're ruining the mood!"

His eyebrow quirked, "Ruining the mood huh?"

He moved forward, and his eyes slowly surveyed my face, up close I could make out three tiny moles under his left eye.
His eyes flickered to my lips for a millisecond and I felt my breath hitch. He sat back abruptly as if I had slapped him and shook his head.

"Sorry, I just-"
He paused and rubbed his face as if trying to get himself out of a daze. He muttered under his breath and I swore I had heard Alexa's name being mentioned.

I immediately felt guilty,  Graham and I were only supposed to be friends. He was still technically Alexa's boyfriend.  That couldn't have explained what had just happened. Neither of us could have denied the thick tension that was between us a few seconds ago. I decided to blame it on our stale drunk selves.

As I outstretched my arm towards him, he rose from my bed, letting it drop to the side.

"I should get going, takes at least five hours to get back to Yolandor."

The words rushed out my mouth before I could have stopped them, "Maybe you can take our plane? I'm sure I can get the crew up and running and you'd back home in no time. Perhaps I could come along?"

He turned to me, his head tilting to one side, "You want to go to the Horseback Championship with me? Really?"
I nodded.

His lips pursed into a straight line as he contemplated the idea. His eyes flitted towards me and bored into mine for what seemed like an eternity before his usual smirk was back.

"Well, get the cabin crew up and running, Yolandor's waiting for us."

                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ALEXA

Tuesday 14th August

It was the two days after mom's death anniversary. I had no doubt in my mind anymore that it was time to return home.

When I had returned home after watching the lanterns, instead of marvelling over the amazing night Nate gave me, guilt ripped my stomach apart at the thought of leaving Isabelle alone on the tenth anniversary of our mother's death.
I was selfish. If it was anyone that I knew was worried sick about me, it was Isabelle.
I needed to return home.

"Hey, turn up the volume, look there's a special on Alexa."

My eyes flitted to the TV screen as Nate raised the volume with the remote.
Shaniah, who had given the command, snuggled into Isaac's chest and focused her eyes on the screen.

"And with Princess Alexandria's 18th birthday being one week away, signifying she and her sister's birthday celebration and the announcement of the new heir, the nation is left to wonder, where is Alexandria now?

"Now Erin, we just got some shots of Princess Isabelle recently-"
An image of Isabelle on the Town Square's stage appeared. She looked as miserable as I thought she would have been.
I am a terrible person.

Then another picture appeared, that made my jaw drop.
"Sir Graham had made an appearance at the annual ritual for the late Queen Miranda,"
The picture showed Graham speaking into the microphone with his usual cocky smile, as Isabelle snuggled into his chest.
Oh?

"Also, sources have spotted the two back in our neighbouring country of Yolandor."
Another picture surfaced, and this time Graham and Isabelle were spotted by what seemed like horse stables.

"The two were spotted at the National Horseback Championship, that took place yesterday. Sir Graham's horse, Thunder took home the winning title for the fifth consecutive year."
Another picture appeared, and it was clear that this one was candid. One of Graham's hands were placed on Isabelle's hips while the other clutched his championship trophy. Isabelle had tiptoed as she placed a kiss on his cheek.

Graham and Isabelle.

"Uh, maybe he misses you so much, that he had to settle for Isabelle?" Isaac laughed uneasily.
I stared back at him blankly.
"You know because you two have the same face..." He continued.

"She gets it. Your statement was just dumb," Shaniah snapped, slapping his shoulder.

Oddly enough, I wasn't mad. Graham and I didn't love each other, he never even displayed any kind of public affection when we were together. He must have really cared for Isabelle.

"I'm not mad you guys."
Nate turned to me, his brows furrowing in concern. His bruise had begun to fully heal, and it was merely a scar at the top of his eye now.

"Sources from the Palace would like to let the nation know that the Princess's reward has been increased, as her return is very essential at this time,"
My picture appeared on screen along with a handful of numbers I didn't recognize. They for some reason seemed like Graham's office numbers.

Then the reward amount flashed on the screen and I heard everyone release a gasp.
"I knew I shouldn't have drunk last night," Shaniah muttered, "Because I swore I saw five million dollars as the reward price."

Isaac chuckled and flicked her nose playfully, "Then maybe I'm also drunk because that's what I see as well."

All eyes turned to me and I let out a deep sigh.

The right thing to do was allow them to return me home, and they'd collect the reward money. Isaac and Nate could finally go to the college they wanted, and maybe they could live a bit more comfortably. That was the right thing to do, but a small part of me didn't want to. The selfish part of me, that enjoyed their company too much to return to the Palace.

                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you so quiet? Is it because of the news piece?"

I rolled over so that I could have looked at Nate. He was probably about to go to bed as he was shirtless and only wore his boxer shorts.

After the horrid news piece, I couldn't handle the multiple concerned eyes upon me so I snuck away to Nate and I's room to think.

I nodded, and he grimaced as he sat at the edge of my bed.

"I know it must be hard to see them together-"

"I'm not mad at them."

"Then what got you upset?" He reached over and pushed aside stray strands of my hair, so he could have seen my face.

"The part about me returning."

Nate sucked in a breath and sat back.

"I mean the correct thing is for me to return home, right? That's a lot of money. You and Isaac can go to college. And you guys deserve it. But why is it so hard for me to leave? Why am I so selfish?"

"Why do you think you're selfish?"

"Because! I just can't bring myself to leave, I love you guys too much, but I have to go, it'd be better for everyone. Imagine what you guys can do with the reward!"

He nibbled his lip in thought for a few seconds before a small smile appeared, "To be honest with you Alexa, I rather your presence than all the money in the world that the Palace can throw at me."

I shoved his arm playfully, but it was apparently too hard as he fell off the bed.

"OW!"

I giggled as I attempted to pull him back onto the bed.

"Why do you always injure me! "He whined, rubbing his arm.

"Because as cute and cheesy that was, I think five million dollars would be much better Nate."

His expression grew solemn, and his eyes focused on the bed-sheets, "So, you're thinking of going back?"

After a second's hesistance, I nodded, "I think it's best for me to return Nate, I belong at the Palace, not here."

His beautiful soft blue eyes hardened and my breath hitched at the sight, "You don't belong here?"

His usual low smoky voice sounded steely and tight. It made my stomach twist uncomfortably.

"Nate. We all knew that I had to go back eventually. I couldn't possibly stay here."

He sat back abruptly and scooted away so that he was at the edge of the bed, a good distance away from me. His eyes flickered away from me, settling onto the bed-sheets,

"Well. Spectacular. We'd make sure to get you back soon, it was a pleasure to make your vacation here worthwhile."

The cold bitter smile that hung at his lips made my chest tighten. This wasn't Nate.

"What are you talking about Nate?"

"You. All this talk about you feeling at home here and not wanting to go back. What happened? Vacation time over? Enjoyed your stay at your break away from the royal life and ready to return?"

I reeled back like his words had slapped me, I was staring back into a stranger's face. This wasn't the sweet, thoughtful Nate that I knew and cared for.

"Nate. It isn't like that- God, I swear, it isn't like that-"

"Everything okay in here?"

Nate and I's eyes shifted to the doorway where Isaac stood hesitantly. A towel and change of clothes were slung over his shoulder. He was obviously off to shower when he noticed or overhead our tension.

Nate stiffened, his eyes dropping to the dark carpet. Isaac shuffled over to his brother and laid a hand on his shoulder, at the touch Nate hesitantly met his gaze and Isaac rose an eyebrow.

His eyes flickered over to me and his lips pursed before they landed back on Nate's face, the two of them seemingly having a silent conversation.

My chest panged at his actions, I felt like I've been wounded by another guy that I've cared for the second time that night. Obviously, Isaac would immediately rush to Nate's side and be there for him; blood or not he is his brother. I was simply a guest in this house.

With a simple squeeze to his shoulder, Isaac shuffled away from Nate and started to head towards the door. I felt my shoulder slump, I was all alone in this.

Isaac halted in his steps and peered over his shoulder at me, the blank expression on his face not wavering.

He spun around, making his way towards me and I saw Nate tense in my peripheral.

Isaac stopped before my bed and stooped so that we were at eye-level. He leaned in so that Nate was out of ear-shot and grasped my shoulder,

"He's a hot-head at times.  If he gets too out of hand- he wouldn't dare lay a hand on you, that isn't him- but if you need me to knock some sense into him, you know where to find me."

He squeezed my shoulder and sent a wink before turning around and heading towards the hallway.

He halted when Arianna came shuffling down the hallway, tears streaming down her cheeks. I immediately shot up at the sight and Nate's hardened expression softened.

Wordlessly, Isaac scooped Arianna into his arms and stroked her hair and she buried her face into her older brother's t-shirt.

A slight smile appeared on Isaac's face and I furrowed my brow at the sight.

"Which fictional husband of yours are we grieving about this time?" He murmured, swaying side-to-side with her.

Nate and I visibly relaxed as we realized the nature of Arianna's tears.

"Will!" Arianna sobbed, clutching her brother's shirt. His smile didn't falter as he pecked her forehead, "C'mon, let's go to the kitchen. I'll make the usual."

Arianna stepped back from her brother's embrace and sniffled when she realized she had an audience her cheeks reddened some more.

"Sorry, I must look pathetic right now."

"Of course not Anna," Nate assured her, giving her such a warm smile, it was hard to imagine his temper from a few minutes ago.

She sniffled again and grasped Isaac's extended hand, "C'mon, I'll make my famous hot chocolate while you rant about how much you hate the author as usual."

She nodded weakly and led them down the hallway.

Which left Nate and I alone.

"Nate-"

"Alexa, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean that-"

"My mom always used to say that what people usually shout in anger is what they truly think."

His face crumbled at my words and he bit his lip in thought.

"Nate, is that what you honestly thought of me? That I'm simply using you guys as a vacation get-away? I love you guys!"

"Then stay."

"You know I can't."

He let out a frustrated sigh then a sliver of a smile appeared, "Perhaps we can fake your death?"

"Nate!"

At the sight of my giggling, his body relaxed and a sheepish expression appeared on his face, "I'm sorry. You're right, it's your choice."

He didn't know that the choice was also paining me, but I had no choice. Somethings had to be done. Isabelle was left all alone in that palace with my horrible father; I couldn't possibly leave her with all that pressure.

"So, when are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow?"

Nate tensed again and I mentally slapped myself for forgetting that the next day was his birthday. I doubt that he would have appreciated spending his 19th birthday returning me to the palace and having a painful goodbye.

"Okay. Maybe not tomorrow.. but soon! This week-"

I paused when I saw him release a deep sigh.

"I'm serious Nate, trust me I hate the thought too, but it has to be done. Drag me there yourself if I happen to change my mind."

He released another deep sigh before nodding, "Okay."

I moved towards him and bent down to hug him, and he tensed under our embrace. He retracted himself immediately and stood up from my bed and made his way to his own. Once again, I was left confused at Nate's reluctance and confusing reactions towards me.

I willed myself to calm down and ignore it as I watched him climb into bed and slip under his covers. With a heavy heart, I decided to do the same and left the topic alone.

I flicked the light-switch, plunging the room into darkness and snuggled myself into the pillow. The little light that streamed through the doorway from the hallway, was enough for me to see Nate's figure. His back was turned to me, his body rising and falling in rapid motion.

I couldn't take it, the problem was weighing me down with every breath that I took.

"Nate."

I saw him shift so that he was facing me, but with the little light, I couldn't have seen his face.

"Yeah, Lex?"

"You do know that a friendship is a two-sided relationship right?"

"Yes, I'm aware... where is this going?"

"It's about you acting bloody confusing. You act all sweet and affectionate towards me but when it's my turn to return the favour of being a good friend... you treat me like a leper!"

He took so long to respond, that if it weren't for the outline of his body shifting, I would have thought he was sleeping.

He exhaled a deep breath before murmuring a response so soft, I had to strain my ears to hear, "You just don't get it, Alexa."

He called me Alexa for the second time that night. I picked up on the fact that he only called me Alexa when he was upset.

"Well. Make me understand Nate."

I saw him shift so that his back was facing me once again, "Doesn't matter. You're leaving anyway, it wouldn't make a difference."

"It would make a difference! Stop being difficult and speak to me!"

His body stilled, "I really don't want to argue with you tonight Lex. Can we please leave this alone? Trust me it's nothing."

It was my turn to release a deep sigh, "Fine."

We fell into silence, and I angrily turned towards the wall, not wanting to look at the outline of his body anymore.

A wave of sleepiness crashed over me after a few minutes of silence, and I felt myself beginning to fall asleep when he spoke up,

"Goodnight Princess, sweet dreams."

My eyes welled with tears , and all bitter emotions towards him melted away.
I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry.

I felt an automatic small smile appear on my face and I mentally scolded myself.

It was just the way it worked, no matter how upset or irritating he got, he always did the simplest things that made it all better.

Somehow, I could have never stayed mad at him.

I hated myself for it.

"Goodnight Nate."

We fell into silence again and this time when another wave of drowsiness hit, I allowed myself to be pulled deep under into sleep. 

                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Looks like Alexa's days with the Hartleys are numbered :(

Do you think that Isabelle and Graham were just being friendly in Yolandor? Or not? Hmmm...

COTE! (Comment+ Vote)  IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER! HEHE ;)

+Also! I started another book, so check my profile if you'd like to check it out!

It's called "Lock and Key"

+And! To all you with exams right now or awaiting results, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get the grades and results that you're hoping for!❤❤
*whacks you with good luck stick*

Love you guys soo much! Mwahhh :*

Till next time! -Sierra

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

778K 25.4K 41
The Princetons and the Lockes. It's an enmity of decades. And so the tradition continues when it comes to Venus and Caden. A prince and a leader's da...
6.8M 248K 74
When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales. I believed in princes and princesses and knights in shining armor. I believed in forever and hap...
28 7 3
This is inspired by a writing project I supervised when I worked with an elementary student. This writing project was a group project to make their o...
26 2 9
*I changed the story a bit so please reread this info if you read it before 10/11.* In a magnificent kingdom, Princess Athena and Prince Alexan...