Once upon a Princess (Atypica...

By siesie_19

If you've come expecting a fairytale about Prince Charming, Fairy Godmothers, and evil parents; You may look... More

A/N (VERY IMPORTANT)!!!! SERIOUSLY!
CAST
1. Sister,Sister
2.Bump in the road
3. Good Samaritans
4. Adjusting
5. Hartley Household
6. Princess and the Hunter
7. Nice to Meet You
8. Swing-Sets and Skills
9. Me.
10. Truth or..?
11. Books Before Boys
12. All the Right Moves
13. Not a Party till the Princess shows up
14. Hangovers and Realizations
16. But... I can't
17. A familiar face
18. Judas
19. Missing Piece
20. Back to Square one
21. Let Bygones be Bygones
22. Birthday Celebrations 1.1
23. Birthday Celebrations 1.2
24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3
25. Birthday Celebrations 1.4
26. Can I get a refund?
27. Am I a Monster?
28. The First Stage
29. The Accomplice
30. My Achilles Heel
31. Crash and Burn?
32. I don't have a horse
33. Bee-moon?
34. Welcome Back 1.1
35.Welcome Back 1.2
36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas
37. It's Christmas!
38. The Runaways
39. Lock me up
40. I Promise
EPILOGUE
Bonus (1)
Bonus (2)
A/N

15. Tangled?

440 62 120
By siesie_19

ALEXA

Sunday 12th August

I woke up on the morning of the 12th to Nate murmuring in his sleep. I was quite the light sleeper; a simple footstep down the hall or raindrops on the window was sure to awaken me.

After a few minutes of him tossing and turning, he finally stilled and snuggled back into his pillow.

But I was still wide awake.

Sighing to myself, I pushed myself off the bed and shuffled out the door and on my way to the living room.

Isaac was already there in his pajamas and glasses like the last time, eating a bag of skittles while his eyes were trained on the television.

"Isaac!"

He jumped, a few of the candy spilling out of the pack. When he realized this, he pushed the glasses further on the bridge of his nose and tried his best to glare menacingly at me.

I wondered if there was an angry bone in his body. He was too joyful for his own good.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as I took the seat next to him. He silently scooped up the fallen candy and set them on the table before glancing at me with a lopsided smile.

"No worries love, are you okay though? It's pretty late."

"Nate woke me up with his sleeptalking," I muttered, "I'm not going back to sleep anything soon."

He rolled his eyes and say back into the chair, "I don't know what mom was thinking to let Nate be your roommate. I'm obviously the best option."

He smirked and I slapped his arm playfully, "Sure. You'd be the perfect roommate. Because you're hardly in the room actually sleeping!"

I gestured between him and the television. Sure enough, another Harry Potter film was showing.

He shrugged, his eyes flickering back over to the television screen, "It's not usually like this, I'm just having troubles sleeping these days."

I thought back to the last time we had stayed up late and he had been in an odd mood, "Are you sure everything's okay?"

He nodded too immediately that I knew that it was a lie, "Yeah! As I said before, just thinking some things over.. you know?"

"No. I don't know."

He rolled his eyes and gestured at the screen, "Never mind it, you up for another Harry Potter film?"

His eyes grazed the screen for a millisecond before he smiled sheepishly,

"Actually, nevermind. It's the Half-blood Prince, I really don't intend to make you uncomfortable."

He shuffled in his seat as he searched for the remote, quick to change the channel because I had told him previously about my fear of the later Harry Potter films.

"Isaac, it's fine. I met you watching the movie, it's okay I'll watch it."

He quirked an eyebrow, watching me skeptically, "You sure?"

I nodded as I snuggled up into the warm pillow and allowed my eyes to settle onto the screen.

I felt his warm strong hand clasp my forearm, "If it gets too much, never fear! Your courageous older brother is here!"

My chest flipped at his words and I peeked my head around my curls to smile gratefully at him, "Brother?"

He grinned blindingly at me before it faltered, "Oh, that wasn't weird, was it? Sorry, it's just that we've gotten so close within a short space of time, you're practically my sis-"

He paused, searching my face for any negative reactions. When I smiled, his body relaxed.

His eyes flitted back to the screen but by the faint smile on his face, I knew his attention was elsewhere, "It's definitely miraculous though, how you've managed to blend so well with us within.. what a month?"

A month? Has it really been so long?

"What day is it?"

Isaac pressed the home button of his phone and it unlocked, displaying an array of notifications.

"The 12th," He murmured, after replying to a few messages.

My stomach instantly fell. I felt immediately dizzy.

It was the twelfth. My mother's death anniversary. Her tenth anniversary.

"Why?"

I ignored Isaac's question and tried my best to focus on the screen before me, despite my burning chest.

Surely the 12th of August was a regular day for the rest of Celayise. Of course, they'd remember sooner in the day and all gather at the town at nightfall to partake in the ritual, but they would never truly feel the pain of the day. They felt the loss of the Queen, I felt the loss of my mother-my best friend.

I decided to avert the attention, "So since you're such a huge Harry Potter fan-"

"I surely am. And supernatural and Game of Thrones and Shameless and Breaking Bad-"

"You sure do watch a lot of shows." I giggled, interrupting Isaac's long list.

He nodded, looking especially pleased with himself.

"So what do you find yourself watching a lot?"

His eyes flitted in my direction and his faint smile deepened into a mischievous smirk," Oh! My favourite! Pornhub!"

At the sight of my eyes widening and my possible reddening cheeks, Isaac burst into laughter.

"I knew that'd get you squirmish. For quite a lipsy princess, you're quite innocent."

I shoved his arm playfully, "I'm not lipsy! I've only kissed two guys! Josiah and Graham. Only two guys!"

Isaac cleared his throat, "So far."

I quirked an eyebrow at his comment, "What?"

He smiled his dazzling smile, his pearly whites, and dimples distracting me.

Anyone who didn't know Isaac would have mistaken this smile for an innocent adorable one, but I knew Isaac was trying to throw me off his trail.

"Don't smile at me like that," I snapped, "What do you mean by so far?"

He shrugged, his lips forming a thin line.

I rolled my eyes,"If you were referring to you-"

He interrupted me by shooting up and watching me with wide eyes and a dropped jaw, "Okay one, I'm flattered but I only have eyes for Shaniah love.

"Two, I just called you my sister for Christ's sake! Why would I be referring to me?"

I nodded, feeling immediately stupid that I was quick to assume what he was insinuating, "Sorry."

He shrugged, settling back into the couch once more, "It's okay. No harm was done."

"You're not going to elaborate on who or what you were referring to are you?"

"Nope."

"You're irritating."

"But I'm irritatingly cute." He winked and I shook my head at the mischievous boy.

"Anyway... If you're not going to elaborate, I'd just finish my question that you rudely interrupted."

"Shoot." At his words, his smile faltered slightly as if now remembering something.

"Sorry to interrupt again-but... I don't think I've ever truly expressed how grateful I am for you saving our butts out there in the field with that wolf."

He shuddered, his eyes dropping to his patterned boxers, "I was in charge, I was supposed to protect you guys. And- I froze."

"I froze as well Isaac, it's okay. You're only human."

"Yeah but not for long! You killed a WOLF!"

I didn't know how to reply to that so I stayed silent. His hand reappeared on my forearm, "So I'm eternally grateful for that. You saved my brother's life. You saved all of our lives. Thank you."

"I know you'd do the same for me," I smiled, squeezing his hand.

He returned a smile and retracted his hand only to reply to a text message that he had just received.

I honestly didn't know who on earth would possibly be up at the ungodly hour of 3 am and was texting.

A comfortable silence fell over us as we both returned our gazes to the screen. Oddly enough I didn't feel uncomfortable in the slightest while watching the movie as I usually was.

Before I knew it, the Wizards' British accents and sounds of wand battle became background noise and I was slipping into the unconscious state of dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up in my bed, Isaac must have carried me in when I fell asleep watching television yet again.

Then the realization hit me for the second time that morning, that it was the tenth anniversary of my mother's death.

I felt someone nudge my arm and I rolled over to meet Nate's smiling face hovering over me as he leaned over the bed. His curls stood up in awkward angles on his head and based on his lazy grin, I assumed he had just woken up a few minutes before.

"Morning Princess, Cindy sent me to get you. Breakfast's ready."

He furrowed his brows and sat on the edge of my bed when I didn't try to reply or move.

"You okay?" He whispered as he studied my face.

I nodded before breaking eye contact. "Tell her I'll be out in a while."

I felt the pressure release from the edge of the bed, signaling that Nate had gotten up. When I turned, he had already left the room.

I saw Isaac shuffle down the hallway, towards the kitchen and I instantly felt guilty. I was a hypocrite. I had refrained from telling Nate-the one I trusted the most- anything when I had assured Isaac that he shouldn't have held in anything twice that week.

I stumbled out of bed and took a deep breath. It was August 12th. Ten years later and I still felt the nauseating feeling in the pits of my stomach of losing my best friend.

I stumbled to the bathroom and grimaced at my appearance.

My brown locks were tangled into knots, while some were stuck to my face with dried drool, my eyes were blood-shot and I was pretty sure my morning breath reeked.

Boy, was I an unattractive sight in the morning. A princess that wasn't flawless as they opened their eyes in the morning?

Disney was currently trembling in horror.

I smoothened my hair and proceeded to brush my teeth, all the while pondering over Nate's ability to keep his composure when I looked like I had just been dragged from hell and back.

When I arrived in the kitchen, Cindy was already gone and only the brothers were there.

"Morning sleepyhead," Isaac chirped.

"Hey," I plucked a slice of French toast from the pan and sat at the table, my eyes focused on vase before me.

"How'd you sleep?" Nate asked, nudging my side.

"Like a baby," Isaac answered, sending a subtle wink my way. He surely was amused by the fact that I had managed to fall asleep yet again through the movie.

Nate's eyes darted between us two and he shrugged before returning to his plate,

"So, what are the plans for today?"

"I have some business to take care of in town," Isaac informed us.

"You should probably try to get out of there before this afternoon, you know how it gets at that time," Nate advised, taking a sip of his coffee.

Isaac nodded, "That's true. Especially today, it's the twelfth. The town would be full of rituals to honour the-" Isaac stopped mid-sentence and his eyes snapped over to me as if connecting the dots.

"Yup. Such a pleasant day," I muttered, averting my eyes from them.

An uncomfortable silence shrouded the room, and I felt like I was going to suffocate. I turned to Nate, desperate to end the tension,

"What'd you have in mind for today?"

He placed his mug down and gave me a concerned look, "Lex, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. It's been ten years, I'm okay now." I grumbled. I didn't know why I found myself lying to the brothers as they undoubtedly cared about me, but I didn't feel for their pity at that moment.

"Are you thinking about going back today?" Isaac asked.

I knew I had spent the last night contemplating leaving the Hartleys, but the thought of returning and having to face my father- my sister- the town, in memorium of my dead mother was too much.

"No."

Isaac frowned at his glass of juice,

"But, what about the lanterns?"

My stomach dropped further at the mention of the town ritual.

Since the night that she had passed, the nation of Celayise gathered as one in Town for the lantern ritual. Together we all released purple, lit lanterns, and sing songs to honour my mother. The ritual is so much of a deal, that it is broadcasted to the local stations, for those unable to attend.

"They'd just have to do it without me this year."

The brothers exchanged a silent conversation and then returned to their breakfast.

"Suit yourself, we can't force you," Isaac stood up, carrying his empty dishes to the sink.

"I'll be off to town in a few minutes." He added.

"Want me to come with you?" Nate asked, carrying his plate to the sink as well.

"No."

He gave us a thumbs up and headed down the hallway.

"Strange," Nate muttered, looking towards me curiously.

I shrugged, "Beats me, he's been acting weird for a while now."

Nate considered my words and then probably decided it wasn't a big deal.

"Hey, how about that movie? Maybe it'd cheer you up?"

I chuckled at his offer before nodding, "Sure, I'd love to."

                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, we were half an hour into watching 'The Amazing Spider-man 2' and Nate had already eaten the entire bowl of popcorn.

"I'm sorry, I'm addicted," He shrugged, before shovelling the last remaining pieces into his mouth.

I ignored him and returned to the movie as Peter grabbed Gwen's face and kissed her passionately.

We continued to watch the movie in comfortable silence for another few minutes before Nate broke the silence,

"Do you ever think about him? Like do you miss him?"

"What?"

Nate lowered the volume and turned his body to me, displaying his greasy, buttery lips. I snickered at the sight and motioned for him to wipe them.

He wiped them into the sleeve of his shirt and smiled sheepishly,

"Graham. Do you miss him?"

Without thinking, I blurted my answer, "No."

Nate's eyebrows rose in surprise and he cleared his throat.

"Look. I'm sure he's feeling guilty about what he's done. You can't hold a grudge-"

"I'm not mad at him for leaving me in the forest, he didn't know I fell off, it's not his fault." I shrugged.

Nate blinked, waiting for me to continue.I scratched my head, thinking of a way to tell him that me and my supposed boyfriend, weren't actually together.

"Uh," I started, trying to gather words in my head.

"What is it?" Nate studied my face with a slight smirk. It was almost like he knew.

" Well, you see. Graham and I aren't really...-"

"In love?"

I nodded, meeting his eyes. He held eye contact for a few seconds before his eyes flickered away, a full smirk on his face now.

"I figured."

I crossed my arms, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It was partly obvious. From your interactions with him in public. Plus, you haven't mentioned him once in the month that you've been here. So, either you were great at hiding your emotions for him or there was never any, to begin with," He pointed out, leaning into the pillows.

I let out a sigh and he cleared his throat,

"So I'm guessing this relationship, is just a publicity stunt?"

I nodded, "My dad's idea."

He stayed silent and I continued to explain,

"I did like him at first. I mean he's extremely attractive and was quite romantic at a point in time. But now..."

"Now...?"

"That's it. There's nothing more to him. Well at least what I'm searching for." I shrugged.

"I see."

And we simply left it at that and continued our movie.

After Spider-Man, Nate decided to play the Hangover, immediately feeling guilty after I noticeably tensed at Gwen's death.

Although the Hangover was a pretty good distraction, everything that day reminded me of my mother.

I had also begun to wonder if I had made a good decision by staying away from the palace on today of all days. Isabelle needed the support. This would be the first year that we didn't release our favourite lilac scented lantern for our mother.

Guilt began to consume me that combined with my grief and I felt my chest tightening. I excused myself from Nate's presence and ran to our room, throwing myself onto my bed.

I let the tears flow freely, dampening my pillow, and hummed myself to sleep.

                                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A gentle hand shook me out of my sleep and my eyes fluttered open to see Nate hovering over me.

He was dressed in a black long-sleeved tee and dark jeans, his tight curls indicated that he had washed his hair.

"Get ready," He instructed, glancing at his watch.

"What time is it?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. They still felt slightly swollen from my excessive crying but they must have looked normal considering it wasn't questioned by Nate.

"Six."

I sat up immediately, "I've been sleeping for six hours?"

He nodded then glanced at his watch again, "C'mon. Please get dressed and meet me in the living room, I have a surprise for you."

"Where are we going?"

He cocked an eyebrow, a playful smile tugging at his lips, "Don't you know the meaning of surprises?"

I rolled my eyes, earning a chuckle from him.

"Meet me in the living room when you're done," He repeated before exiting the room.

When I returned to the living room after taking a quick shower and dressing, Nate stood up from the couch and smiled sweetly at me.

"You look really nice."

I glanced down at my thin strapped polka dotted dress and felt my cheeks grow warm.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"Let's go," Nate instructed, motioning for me to follow him.

"Where's everyone?"

"Mom and Arianna went into town to watch the lanterns and Isaac went to Chase's house to hang out."

I followed him out the back door, and together we strolled along the paved path towards town, after locking the door and the gate behind us.

"Nate... where are we going?"

"Shhhhh, patience you must have, my young padawan," He replied, in an eerily perfect Yoda impersonation.

"Someone's a Star Wars geek." I teased.

"Don't judge me! And no more questions, it's a surprise."

I sighed, pushing away my curiosity and allowed Nate to lead me to our destination.

When the path ended and expanded into town, Nate surprisingly led us away from the main square and towards Rosa Hill.

I quietly, followed him as we ascended the hill, thankful that I decided to wear the sandals that Shaniah had lent me.

Once we had reached the top, I felt like all the air had been knocked out of my lungs-and, not because of the minor exercise of climbing-.

I ogled at the view in front of me, and I could see Nate in my peripheral, chuckling at my reaction.

The view of Celayise was beautiful from this hill. It was fairly dark now, a little after 7, and the Town was illuminated by various street lights and houses.

"I come up here every year to see the lanterns, instead of watching them from town or on television. The view's much nicer."

I broke my eyes away from the view to look at Nate, who was settling himself on the grass, focusing his eyes on the Town before us.

"I figured you'd still want to be a part of this," He gestured, to the Town Square, where most of the illuminated light was being emitted.

I didn't know how to reply. I was speechless. A simple thank you, didn't suffice.

"Are you going to sit?" He chuckled, patting the grass beside him,"Show's about to start."

I obliged, not breaking my eyes away from the scene before me.

We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes before it happened.

One by one, lit rectangular objects began to float, and even from that far distance, the echoes of the town's singing could have been heard.

Endless lanterns, floated upwards now, sparkling against the dark sky. I watched as one floated towards us, then drifted away towards the forest.

"Wow," I gasped, as I took in the beautiful scene before me.

"It's beautiful isn't it?"

I nodded, finally turning towards him. He met my eyes and squeezed my hand assuredly.

His eyes crinkled in the cute way that it always did, and I knew he was about to say something silly,

" You do know that we're not going to burst into song, now right?" He gestured at more lanterns that were approaching us.

I giggled at his reference to the Disney movie, "Hey, how creepy is that? I'm a missing princess too?" I exclaimed, grinning at him.

He stayed quiet as he nodded at me, agreeing with my statement.

                                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NATE

"Hey, how creepy is that? I'm a missing princess too!" She exclaimed, clutching my hand as a giggle escaped her.

I simply nodded at her, as words failed to escape me. All I could have done then was admire how beautiful she looked in the moonlight, her eyes dazzling with child-like wonder.
I focused on the twinkling stars above and willed the zoo in my stomach to calm itself.

"You alright? You're quiet all of a sudden."

I nodded, not breaking my eyes away from the constellation. She fell silent and I immediately felt guilty for creating an awkward silence.

"You'd let me know when you're ready to go."

She frowned, tilting her head slightly, "Why leave now? It's gorgeous up here!"
"I wish that I could always see the lanterns from this view," She mused.

My stomach turned at her words, and I cursed myself for feeling that way.
Of course, she had to eventually go back. I knew that from the start. It just made it harder for me to accept now that we had grown closer over the past month, and I had no doubt in my mind, that I was falling for her.

Was it possible to fall for someone in such a short space of time? I wasn't a believer in "Love at first sight".

Sure, Alexa was incredibly beautiful and on first meeting her she had taken my breath away with her presence. Whenever I think about our first encounter, I always scold myself for not recognizing her at first glance like everyone else. She was the Princess.

Maybe it was the fact that her curls were all messed up, covering her face, and in her dirt-covered tattered state, it took my slow mind some time to register. Regardless, at our first eye contact, she took my breath away, with her blinding beauty.

I surely wasn't in love or attracted in that way to her at that time; I guess it developed over time as we grew closer over the past weeks. It was unusual for strangers to develop such a close bond with one another in such a short space of time, but it happened.

Like she had mentioned, it was fate that we had met. Our pasts were intertwined and although I missed my father dearly, I finally came to terms and understood.

Everything happens for a reason.

"Okay you're too quiet," She snapped, grasping my face with her cold hands.
She studied my face, quirking an eyebrow, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, and she squeezed my cheek, as she narrowed her eyes.
"Lemme guess, you're just thinking about something," She drawled. I chuckled, and she finally released my face.

She pinned her hair back into a ponytail, which drew more attention to her heart-shaped face and large beautiful eyes.

I decided to turn the attention to her, "Hey, you excited about your birthday?"
She shrugged. I noticed that she frequently did that, she was rarely was sure of anything.

I nudged her, indicating that I wanted more of a response and she sighed.
"I don't know. As you guys can tell, I'm not too excited to go back. As soon as I go back, it's all responsibilities and then whoever Father chooses has to deal with the upcoming coronation and ugh." 

She dropped her face into her hands.

"I think you'd make a great queen," I murmured.

Her head snapped up as if I had just cursed her, and her eyes watered. I instantly felt sick knowing that I had said something to trigger her.
"I'm so sorry, did I say something wrong?"

She shook her head, letting a tear trickle down her cheek. I resisted the urge to wipe the tear and kiss her sadness away.

A small smile appeared on her face and she shook her head, "You really think so?" She whispered, wiping her tear.

"Of course. Anyone with eyes can see that."
Her smile faded, and her forehead creased, " Apparently you're the only one in Celayise who thinks so.

"Everyone thinks Isabelle's the one to be queen. What am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing, absolutely nothing. People just don't accept when people conform to their standards of perfection," I said, making quotation marks.

She bit her lip, pondering over my words.
"Only because I'm not as elegant and graceful as her-"

I snickered at the graceful part, Alexa was anything but graceful. She was the clumsiest person I had ever seen.

She narrowed her eyes at me before continuing,
"And you should see Isabelle at town meetings. She's a pro at public speaking. I'm sure she doesn't even get jitters like I do. She's natural with town affairs. Maybe she is perfect for being Queen."

"Look at who's being a pessimist now," I teased, poking her side.
She wriggled under my touch and let out an adorable giggle,
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm being a realist," She said, trying to imitate my voice, repeating what I had said to her weeks ago.

"My voice does not sound like that!" I protested.
She laughed once more, and I swore it made my night to see her happy once again.

I grabbed her tiny hands in mine and squeezed them, " I think, that you and everyone else is focusing on the wrong thing."

"Oh?"
"Pee."
She wrinkled her nose at my joke, "Just continue what you were saying."

"Take your mom for instance. She was great with the people. Not necessarily the affairs. She was great under pressure and she had an overall bubbly personality that created a generally positive atmosphere throughout Celayise."
She nodded slowly, processing my words.

"Does that sound like anyone you know?" I teased.
She smiled," Maybe."
I retracted my hands immediately, not wanting to reawaken the zoo in my stomach.
"Exactly, so think about it. Don't give up. I believe in you."

"You know, I'm really glad I met you," She smiled.
I raised my brow, fighting the urge to grin at her words.
"I really appreciate all the things you've done for me, I really do," She continued, giving my hand a squeeze.

"It's my pleasure, battery."
She sent another grin at me before, resting her head on my shoulder, "I think I'm slowly warming up to that nickname."

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the gentle night breeze on my face and the smell of her hair and wished, that for once that things can work in my favour.
----------------------------------------

ISABELLE

Sunday 12th August

"Here, you wanted yours lilac scented right?"
I nodded and accepted the purple lantern from Graham.

Father stepped to the platform and addressed the crowd, but I was too preoccupied with searching for a familiar face through the crowd. I knew it was stupid, she wouldn't have been there, but I couldn't help but hope.

Graham nudged my side and I was brought back into reality. Father had finished and was waiting for me to release the first lantern. But I couldn't move. For the first time, I found myself immobile and terrified in front the crowd.

"Hey, would you like me to go up with you?"
I turned to Graham as his hand slipped into mine and he squeezed it assuredly.

"Yeah. I'd like that."
I was aware of the dozens of cameras flashing away in our direction, but I was too grateful for Graham's support that I didn't worry too much about what juicy gossip they were about to write.

I traipsed my way over to the stage, Graham's steady hand on the small of my back the whole time.

Father stepped aside and allowed me to take the podium. I grasped the microphone with one hand while I held my lantern in the other.

After a few seconds of looking into the crowd, my mind went blank. Alexa was supposed to be standing at my side. We usually gave each other support as we released the first lanterns into the sky.

Graham sensed that I was a bit overwhelmed, and manoeuvred his way around me, and grasped the microphone,
"Hello Everyone."
The crowd erupted with cheers and Graham flashed his dazzling smile at them. He was a stranger to this symbolic ritual, he had never been present to any of these since he and Alexa had been together. But the residents of Celayise knew of him too well.

"Now now, I know it's probably exciting to see a strange face in this ritual, but we should settle down now. This is a serious occasion," He warned, a smile tugging at his lips. He sure knew how to handle a crowd.

"Princess Isabelle and I would now like to release the first lantern in honour of the late Queen Miranda."
He paused, before grasping my empty hand in his and pulling me at his side.
"May her soul continue to rest in peace," He continued, pursing his lips as he bowed his head.
The crowd repeated after him and bowed their heads as well.

After a few seconds of reflection, Graham nervously smiled at me, "It's all up to you now, Belle."

I squeezed his hand before letting it go and grasping the lantern with both hands.
"Tonight, we'd appreciate if you join us in honouring the lanterns, in hope of Princess Alexa, returning home soon," Graham told the silent crowd.

I couldn't help the snicker that escaped me. This seemed too similar to the movie Tangled.
Graham nudged my side subtly at my snickering and I found my nerves calming, once I knew I had his support.

"Ready?"
I looked up into his big brown eyes and nodded.

Then it happened, goosebumps appeared on my skin as the crowd began to sing a traditional melodic song in unison. Graham took a lighter from my father's hands and lit my lantern.
Taking a deep breath, I focused my eyes on the purple lantern and said my wish before releasing it to the sky.
Please let her come home soon.

Graham wrapped me in his embrace as my lantern was safely into the air now, and the crowd illuminated as they begun to release theirs as well.
I blinked away my tears and faced the crowd with the most neutral expression I could have mustered.
Never let them see you down. Show your strength.

"Hey, you alright?"
I tilted my head to that I could have seen his face. He had it shaven for the occasion and his eyes no longer seemed hollow and lifeless. He seemed like Graham again.

"Yeah. I'll be alright. Thanks for coming out."
If Alexa had been here right now and had seen Graham, she would have fainted from shock. For the past two years that they have been dating, she had always asked him to support her in the Town Meetings and even this ritual. He always declined.

Why was he here now?

"I promised that I'd be at your side, that's what friends are for right?" He reminded me, flicking my nose.

"Oh, so we're friends?" I teased.

He playfully shoved me away from him. Father had stalked away to address some of the media personnel present, so we were the only two left on stage. The crowd was too busy singing songs and releasing lanterns to even notice Graham and I.

"I'm wounded, really I am," He chuckled.

"C'mon you'd have enough time to get over it as you're coming to have dinner with Father and I."

His brows furrowed, and he wrinkled his nose in the direction of my Father. I sensed that he about to decline when he paused and surveyed my face.

"Would you like me to?"
I figured he had realized the real reason I had invited him over. His company, his support.
I nodded, clutching his arm. "I'd really appreciate it."

I really didn't want to spend the night of the tenth anniversary of my mother's death, without my sister and my asshole of a father.
Maybe if Graham was there, the mood would be lightened.

"Then, I'd be there. Let's go then," He smiled, sliding his hand into mine.
                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: ahhh this chappie was cute as hell :)

Do you ship Isabelle and Graham? Or do you think it's merely a friendship? Hmmmm...

Nexa or Grelle?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8M 248K 74
When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales. I believed in princes and princesses and knights in shining armor. I believed in forever and hap...
28 7 3
This is inspired by a writing project I supervised when I worked with an elementary student. This writing project was a group project to make their o...
1M 43.3K 43
"The course of true love never did run smooth." - William Shakespeare A forbidden love in a foreign country with a Prince...
16.8K 409 15
"If you look anymore perfect, I will lock you up in my room And I assure you, you won't be able to walk for days after that." It was every girl's dre...