Poison

istolethecookiez द्वारा

New friends are always fun, especially when they provide you a place to sleep when you get sexiled, introduce... अधिक

[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 8 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 11 ]
[ 12 ]
[ 13 ]
[14]
[ 15 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 18 ]
[ 19 ]
[ 20 ]
[ 21 ]
[ 22 ]

[ 3 ]

5.3K 372 51
istolethecookiez द्वारा

I glare at my dorm room door as I wriggle the knob. Seriously? I literally stopped in two minutes ago and put my bag down. My roommate locked me out...again. She only ever does this when she brings guys over. I press my ear against the door and close my eyes out of anger when I hear a male voice. Sexiled once again. That's what I get, I guess, for running downstairs to grab a pack of donuts from the vending machine. Sometimes I question how she manages to invite and pursue a boy in less than fifteen minutes but she never fails to surprise me. Not to mention, it's not even 4PM.

When I agreed to room with Danica, I hoped she'd mellow out a little bit. I heard stories from our mutual friends that she was known for kicking her roommate out of the room to have guys over. I figured that since we're friends, she'd be a bit more transparent and respectful. I assumed that she was just having a wild freshman year. We were friends in high school but apparently she was a completely different person back then. I guess I had hoped she'd return back to her previous behaviors. I was very, very wrong. It's only the third week of classes and I've already been locked out of the room six times.

I drag myself downstairs, checking my phone to make sure I have my keycard. So much for getting back from work, eating my snack, and then taking a quick nap. The least she could've done was put my bookbag in the hallway. Then I'd be able to do something productive. I trek to the coffee shop in hopes of purchasing something loaded with espresso. Upon entering, I hear the familiar bell and smell the familiar mixture of coffee and donuts. My eyes fall on Maya, who looks happy to see me.

"What's up?" she converses as I order an entirely new drink. This one has a lot of caffeine.

"Annoyed," I answer with a roll of my eyes.

"Why?" she asks as she accepts my cash and quickly completes the transaction.

"I've been sexiled yet again," I confess as I drag my hands down my face.

"What? It's 3 in the afternoon," she says as she glances at the clock.

"I know," I retort with a frustrated sigh. "I literally left the room for fifteen minutes to go to the vending machine."

"I'm assuming she does this often?" she notes as she grabs milk from the fridge.

"It's been three weeks and it's happened six times!" I complain in slight exasperation. "This past Saturday night, she tried to bring a guy in while I was asleep. If I didn't get up and switch on my lamp light, she'd have kept going."

"Jeez, was she a random roommate?" she asks with a slight cringe.

"No! We're actually friends! Or we were friends in high school. It's hard to tell now..." I retort as I wave my hands around. "I went random last year and that was absolute hell. Except, a weirder, less sexual hell."

"That's why I chose an apartment this year. My roommates were always weird. Plus, I got sick of living in a dorm room after two years," she responds with an understanding nod. "Also...other reasons." Her eyebrows shoot up and down suggestively and I laugh.

"Yeah, well, my scholarships won't cover an apartment," I respond with a slow shake of my head. "And I definitely don't make enough money with my three shifts at the library."

She gives me another nod. "You're a sophomore, right?" she asks.

"Yeah," I respond as I blow out a low breath. "Not for long, though. I may just drop out if Danica keeps doing this."

"Have you talked to her?" Maya inquires as she looks around the empty coffee shop. Aside from three previously served customers typing away on their laptops, the place is pretty desolate.

"I try but whenever we're in the room together, she's either blasting music and getting ready for a party with her friends or is too hungover to function," I retort with a scoff. "Believe it or not, she spends the majority of her weekdays in the library studying."

"She sounds very promising," Maya mumbles as she scratches the back of her head. "Well, just know that my apartment is always open if you need a place to crash; literally, we never lock it."

"Thanks," I reply with a small smile. If I knew her better, I'd probably take her up on that offer. I don't want to seem like a burden by inviting myself over, especially not so last minute.

"No, seriously, I mean it," she presses. "My freshman year roommate would practically kick me out every weekend. She and her friends would take over the room and I'd be left sleeping on the lounge couch. You don't want to sleep on a lounge couch. I wouldn't want you to sleep on a lounge couch. There were some weird stains on those couches, man...really weird stains."

"I'd hold you to it if I felt like your housemate wouldn't call the police," I joke back.

"Trust me, you'll be fine," she insists with a wave of her hand.

"Thanks, Maya," I comment as I rub my eyes. "Well, I think I'm going to go to the library and use one of those computers to get stuff done."

"Good luck," she replies with a thumbs up. "Are we still on for 5?"

"Yes," I nod as I exit the coffee shop, grumbling quietly about my selfish roommate as I do.

+++

I manage to wiggle my way into my room a little past 4. Danica is nowhere to be found and I don't mind one bit. In a frustrated flurry, I grab my backpack and coat and leave the room. As I'm heading to my car, Maya texts me and tells me that she's out of work and that I can come over whenever as opposed to the scheduled 5 o'clock session. I ask her if she wants a ride and she agrees, so I drive my car to her place of employment.

"You got your bag!" she cheers when she sees it in the backseat.

"Yeah, I took a risk and unlocked the door. She wasn't there, thankfully," I explain as I wait for her to buckle her seatbelt. When she does, I start down the street. "How was your shift?"

We make conversation and she tells me a funny story about a coworker of hers and how hard it is to tell if she's into girls or not. She concludes the story by saying that either way, coworker relationships are messy. After a few seconds of thought she adds that if the girl is into her that she'd risk it...probably. She turns the conversation over to me. "What about you? Are you dating anyone?" she inquires.

"Nope," I answer with a shrug.

"Was that insensitive?" she asks as she bites her fist. "I remember you telling me you just went through a breakup."

"No it wasn't and yes I did–a few months ago now," I explain casually as I make a right turn.

"Is your heart still in shambles?" she questions with quirked brows.

"Psh, no," I quickly dismiss as I pull onto her street. "I've moved on already."

"Seriously?" she asks in slight surprise.

"Yes," I inform her. "That relationship was not the best and if we're being honest, I don't think I was ever fully in it."

"Damn..." she trails as she stares at the cars passing us. "Are you trying to get back out there yet? Or too soon?"

"I'm not opposed to putting myself out there. I just...don't," I explain vaguely. There isn't much else to it. "Plus, guys never really approach me and I'm really picky."

"Do you have a type?" she wonders and when I glance at her, she shrugs. "I have a lot of friends. Maybe I can be of some assistance."

I roll my eyes with a smile. "I don't have a type," I lie. If I explain my type, she'll immediately catch on to the fact that I find her best friend attractive and for some reason, I don't think that'll go over too well. "I just have to click with someone."

"I'll have to invite some friends over then," she suggests with a bright grin. "You've got to get out there. You're truly missing out."

I get out of the car and follow her to the sidewalk. "Sure I am," I respond as I retrieve my bag from the backset. When we reach the apartment, we set up shop in the living room after Maya changes out of her coffee scented clothes. She sprawls out on the living room floor and I put my belongings on the table.

"You ready to get some work done?" she encourages as I open my laptop.

"Boy, am I?" I retort with a forced grin.

We work on our project, talking occasionally but mostly researching the decade we decided to present on. The roaring twenties and the dirty thirties were taken so we went for the 1950's. We work for nearly two hours before the sound of the door opening interrupts us. My head perks up curiously as I stare at the meeting point of the living room and hallway. Maya, on the other hand, continues to work diligently, not at all disturbed.

Asa arrives in surprisingly fancy attire. His light blue button down is tucked neatly into his well fitted slacks, which end just before a pair of black dress shoes. He doesn't spare us a glance as he pulls his shirt from the depths of his pants. I watch as he successfully removes it just as he shuts the door to his room. 

"Don't get distracted," Maya mumbles as she peers at me with a smirk.

"I'm not," I dismiss quietly as I return to my task at hand. I wonder what he does for work.

A few moments later, he exits his room in gray sweatpants. Just sweatpants. It's hard to not get distracted when just a few feet in front my laptop, Maya's good looking roommate is walking around half naked. She surprises me by darting up from her spot on the floor. "Do you want something to drink?" she questions and I give a weak nod.

Asa looks over at our little study set up. I watch as he squints at the slides on Maya's screen. His eyes eventually land on me and he tilts his head curiously. "We've met before, right?" he asks, which stings just a little. Am I that forgettable? At least he doesn't remember my wandering eyes and stuttering speech.

"Briefly," I answer as he rests his forearms against the back of the recliner, rocking it slightly. He continues to stare at me before slowly nodding.

"Yeah, you couldn't keep your eyes off me," he recalls casually. My face immediately reddens at the fact that he remembers. "Ivea, was it?"

At least he was close, I credit him. "Ivy," I correct, which gets a slow nod from him.

"Oh yeah, that's the only word you managed to say," he says with a short nod. I let out a low sigh. "Well congratulations, Ivy." He taps the recliner once as he raises to his full height. I keep my eyes locked on his face, repressing the urge to admire the tattoos travelling down his arm.

"On?" I ask in a state of confusion.

"Being the only girl to come around here twice," he informs me with something of a smirk. "You must be doing something right."

"I heard that!" Maya yells from the kitchen.

"That was the point," he retorts loudly before joining her. I stare at his back with a frown as he leaves. All I want to know is if I'm really not memorable.

When Maya returns with my water, I wait until Asa disappears back into his room to ask her the question that's been bouncing around my mind. "He's a student, right?" I query in an attempt to be casual.

"Yup," she says as she distractedly scrolls on her laptop. Before I can ask a clarifying question, she cuts me off. "I just finished the slides for 1955."

"I'm almost done with 1959," I respond as I scroll through the list information I compiled.

"Maybe you'd have finished by now if you weren't so distracted," she sings with a small, knowing grin.

"I'm used to working in complete silence," I excuse awkwardly.

"With no half naked guys walking around either, right?" she quips with a tilted head. I feel the heat rise from my neck and I swallow nervously.

I glare at her but her smile is contagious. "Shut up," I snap with narrowed eyes. "Let's keep working before you have to go to work."

We do just that, stopping at 6:30 so I can drop Maya off at Food Mart. "You don't have to bring me," she insists.

"I really don't mind," I reply. She lets out a strong grunt as she tosses her backpack onto her bed.

She dances back into the living room, removes her shoe, and throws it at Asa's door. A few seconds later, he appears with a pair of semi-rimmed glasses. I'm pleasantly surprised at the way they look on his face. If possible, they make him more attractive. "We're leaving," she tells him as she retrieves her shoe from the floor.

"You couldn't just text me...or yell?" he questions with a flat expression on his face. I stand beside Maya silently, watching the interaction as if it's a television program.

"Too traditional," she responds with an innocent smile. "I'll see you later."

"Whatever," he replies as he closes his door. I follow her out, feeling a multitude of questions pour into my head.

"What year is he?" I ask her as soon as she shuts the door. Again, she doesn't bother to lock it. Her eyes fall on me as she lets an amused grin extend across her lips.

"Why don't you ask him?" she responds curiously.

"No," I dismiss immediately. "I don't think he likes me very much."

"It takes some time but he'll warm up to you. When that happens, you can ask him all the questions you want," she replies as we wait for the elevator.

"I don't even have that many," I lie quietly.

She stares at me with a smirk. "I have one for you," she leads and I nod at her to continue. "Do you think he's cute? Asa?"

"What? No," I dispute with a quick shake of my head.

"You were staring pretty hard..." she trails suggestively as the doors to the metal contraption open.

"I was just wondering how you guys became friends," I attempt to cover up.

"That's a very long story," she says as she lets out a slow breath. "I'll tell you another time."

"I'll hold you to that," I reply with a small finger wag.

"You don't want to be my friend just because you think he's cute, right?" she asks after staring at me for a few seconds.

"No!" I reply immediately. I thought we moved on from that topic. "I told you: I don't think he's cute!"

She leads the way out of the elevator and tips her head back to release a loud laugh. "I may wear glasses but I'm not blind," she scoffs at me.

"Clearly you are if you're seeing things that aren't there!" I insist as my cheeks go red. I lightly rub them in an attempt to make it go away.

"If it makes you feel any better, he hasn't caught on yet," she attempts to comfort with a small pat on my back.

"He doesn't even know my name," I inform her with a loud sigh.

"Does that bother you?" she wonders as a girlish grin escapes. I shoot her a glare as I head in the direction of my car. She swings her bag and it hits me in the back. "I can formally introduce you two."

"No!" I decline with a quick shake of my head.

"Why not?" she asks, clearly getting a kick out of my discomfort. "You'll probably be around here a lot, with the project, all of our future friendship endeavours, your sexiled sleepovers... You'll have to interact with him at some point."

"No, no, no," I insist with another quick shake of my head.

"Fine," she relieves me so I sigh in relief, which only gets a dark chuckle from her. "It's still happening. I just won't tell you when."

I glower at her with red cheeks as I stand before my car. "I may not know you well enough to have such strong feelings but I hate you Maya Lu," I grumble as I struggle to unlock the car. She gets into the passenger seat and grins at me.

"It's a feeling you'll get used to," she assures me with a wink.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

742 88 30
Ivy Miller is a simple girl. She's not asking for much. Only for a peaceful, uncomplicated life. She grows bored often during her job at the music st...
1.5M 73.3K 49
One crazy night. One drunken mistake. One careless hookup. Noah Brown never thought he would return to his hometown again. Sophia Stone never thou...
522K 13.2K 31
Avery Alderidge has it all: a sweet boyfriend, tons of great friends, a loving family. She's fierce and popular, and has just started at her first-ch...
158K 2.7K 38
When Alyssa received her scholarship to attend The university of Houston, she had no idea that one kiss in a club could be so persistent. Running in...