Let's Play a Game // Monsta X...

By KCGG_Goddess

๐Ÿ…2021 May 22 | no.6 in #showki ๐Ÿ…2021 May 25 | no.1 in #chaegyungwon - No one's forcing you, you're making a... More

Game 001
Game 001 (2)
Game 002
Game 003
Game 004
Game 004 (2)
Game 004 (3)
Game 005
Game 006
Game 006 (2)
Game 007
Game 007 (2)
Game 008
Games
Nighttime #2
Game ???
Bonus Game
Game: Choice
A Correct Choice
The Final Shot
Ending + Epilogue
BONUS CHAPTER

Nighttime #1

282 27 9
By KCGG_Goddess

"Apparently, we are staying here for the night." Shownu said, eyeing the tablet uncomfortably, already anticipating the outrage this new piece of information will bring.

Jooheon's pace slowed down as if the announcement created some form of resistance, but he reached his seat eventually, reading the new instructions on the tablet with a serious expression.

Changkyun was so shocked he stopped midway to his seat, shoulders slumped and face turned to stone.

Jooheon looked up from his tablet and observed that, just like him, everyone else looked restless and resentful. They repeatedly eyed their tablets with a hint of disgust, as if silently cursing Smiley for the absurd arrangements.

"Where is he going?" Minhyuk asked suddenly. Everyone followed his gaze and saw Kihyun walking away from the table, and though he was taking his time in doing so, he was definitely walking with purpose.

"I don't know." Only Shownu cared enough to answer.

Kihyun stopped and, without turning around, he explained, "He said there's a kitchen here. So I'm making dinner." With that he continued strolling towards a door, in search of a kitchen.

"Is he being serious? He's actually planning to stay?" Wonho asked in disbelief.

Hyungwon elbowed him and tried his best to sound angry while whispering, "Kihyun's still within earshot distance, idiot." Wonho muttered a half apology and sighed in relief when Kihyun didn't turn around.

"Food sounds good to me." Minhyuk said. "I'm starving." He stood up and ran, chasing up to Kihyun, only to be waved back immediately.

"Back so quick?" Shownu asked, only because no one else seemed to care.

"He said he's going to cook for everyone. He said he wants to be alone." Minhyuk shrugged and replied. "He also said it's not going to take long."

The screeching sound of a chair being dragged along the floor resonated in the room. Heavy footfalls followed straight after. Five heads jerked towards the source of the sound, which was a furious Wonho leaving.

Hyungwon reacted quickest and grabbed Wonho's arm. "Where are you going?"

"Leaving! Isn't it obvious enough?" Wonho didn't try breaking away from Hyungwon's grip, but his raised voice was enough evidence to know how desperate he was.

Hyungwon's lawyer brain short-wired again as he failed miserably trying to look for the right words to say.

Jooheon had finally recovered from the shock previously, catching up with the situation. "But how would you leave this place? The door was locked remember? We already tried together when we first came." Jooheon reminded Wonho, recalling the disheartening experience of not being able to move a simple door.

Wonho turned around and Hyungwon loosened his grip when he was sure Wonho wouldn't sprint away, at least not yet. "I will find my way, okay? I'd break it if I have to." Wonho countered, annoyed and breathing heavily.

"Jooheon's right." Shownu joined in, ignoring Wonho's argument. "Besides, how can you be sure you know the way out? We went through a few doors, but they definitely aren't the only ones around here. The lights are probably turned off in the other rooms. You will get lost."

Hyungwon held Wonho's hand again, tugging on it gently. Once he got Wonho's attention, he looked at him with pleading eyes, and mouthed, "Please stay".

Wonho softened at his best friend in this room and gave in, though not before sighing exasperatingly.

Somewhere behind Minhyuk, a door opened and Kihyun's head poked out from the gap, gesturing with his hands to come over.

There was a dining room connected to the kitchen, and on it were dishes after dishes of food. With delicious food placed in front of them, everyone forgot about the bad news and every last negative emotion was pushed to the back of their heads. All they felt now was hunger.

Everyone thanked Kihyun for the food, and for his amazing cooking skills. Food was always linked to happiness, so too bad they were perishable.

Kihyun smiled whenever someone complimented him, but even a stranger could tell it was half forced. Shownu noticed how the smile vanished the instant Kihyun looked down and pretended to eat. Shownu wanted to ask, but decided against it since Kihyun's answer wouldn't be genuine or truthful anyways.

After dinner, Hyungwon and Wonho volunteered to clean up, while the rest of them looked for the bedrooms they were supposed to stay in. No one tried escaping, since they knew it was pointless and would only be a waste of time and energy.

Later they found, to their great disappointment, that the "bedrooms" turned out to be only one huge bedroom with four bunk beds. However, nothing was more overwhelming than the sole fact that they were kidnapped and force to stay a few days to play games. Suddenly sleeping in a room with six strangers didn't seem that bad anymore.

They chose their beds, even though there weren't much to consider – all four bunk beds looked exactly the same. Changkyun shared a bed with Jooheon since Shownu headed to Kihyun's direction, and Minhyuk didn't seem to mind having a bed all to himself. The last two of the seven would get the last available bed.

One good thing, Shownu told himself, is that the room is so big he could at least have semi-private conversations, as long as he kept his voice at a reasonable volume.

Shownu saw Kihyun walk languidly towards the bed located in the farthest corner of the room, and he could almost physically see the fatigue on Kihyun's body after the long day. Shownu followed in case Kihyun fell asleep midway, that way he would have time to catch him before he falls.

When Kihyun arrived he took the lower bunk and lied down right away, closing his eyes to rest. He didn't acknowledge Shownu's presence until he felt something soft covering his body. Kihyun's eyes flickered open and he blinked it a few times, unable to register who was in front of him with fatigue kicking in again.

"Just go sleep." Shownu whispered, straightening himself and stepping away to put some distance between them. When Kihyun didn't do what he was told, Shownu continued, "You need the rest af-"

"After what? After cooking? After playing that game? Or is it after pressing buttons?" Kihyun snapped, sitting up properly on the bed and throwing the blankets away.

Shownu realized everyone was engaged in their own conversations to notice Kihyun's outburst. He didn't know whether it was a good or bad thing. Maybe they needed someone to stop them before things get heated.

Kihyun was still waiting for an answer, so Shownu said, trying his best to stay calm, "After everything that has happened."

Shownu didn't expect Kihyun to let him go just like that, but he certainly didn't expect Kihyun to get mad at that either. That was why his whole body jerked when Kihyun jumped out of the bed, landing with a huge thump.

Everyone turned to look, so Kihyun grabbed Shownu's arm and dragged him outside, nearly crashing into Hyungwon and Wonho on the way out.

As soon as the door closed, Kihyun exploded.

"Yes, I should rest after everything that has happened. Everything that has happened, that wouldn't have happened, if it wasn't for you!" The corridor ate up all his words and they were left in silence. Shownu could hear Kihyun's irregular breathing loud and clear.

Shownu looked at Kihyun, trying to find even the slightest trace of regret to prove Kihyun didn't meant what he said. But all he saw in Kihyun's eyes was white, hot anger.

Shownu shouted back.

"How is that my fault? I told you I was just trying to save you! You were in danger!"

"You don't know that! Stop making things up!"

"Why are you even bringing this back?" Shownu looked away, afraid he was unable to control himself if he looked at Kihyun's face any longer. He told himself he could hit the wall if things got even worse. Only the wall.

"Because I can't just ignore the fact that you brought me here, that I wouldn't be going through this if it wasn't for you, that I could be sleeping peacefully in my own goddamn bed, right this fucking moment." Kihyun answered, his throat and body not allowing him to shout anymore.

Shownu wanted to punch the wall right there and then, but his arms stayed limply at his sides uncooperatively. Instead he closed his hands into fists and squeezed them so hard he was sure his knuckles turned white.

He didn't even want to win the argument anymore; there was no point. He just wanted to understand.

"Why are you blaming only me?" Shownu turned his head back, but looked down to the floor, still avoiding Kihyun's face. When he got no answer, he squeezed his eyes shut and forced those words to come out. He didn't care if his throat hurts. He needed to know.

"Do you hate me?"

-

"Hey, what's wrong?" Wonho asked Hyungwon, placing a hand on Hyungwon's shoulder comfortingly.

Hyungwon, who was sitting on the chosen bed and deep in thought, didn't realize he was frowning the whole time.

"Oh, Wonho, it's you." Hyungwon finally snapped out of his thoughts and focused on the person next to him. "I was just thinking. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure? You look really troubled." Wonho said.

Hyungwon bit his lip and played with his fingers, because he couldn't think of anything else to do. He didn't want to lie anymore, but he wasn't ready for the truth either.

"It's ok, you can tell me anything." Wonho said soothingly, having noticed Hyungwon fidgeting uncomfortably.

Hyungwon eyes met Wonho's sincere ones, those being his source of courage to speak his mind truthfully.

"I'm sorry," Hyungwon started, and Wonho waited patiently without interrupting. "I know you wanted to leave really badly, but I'm not sorry for not letting you go. I still think it would be too dangerous to venture back alone." Hyungwon stopped for a moment to inhale deeply before continuing. "I'm sorry because I invited you in the first place. You wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for me." Hyungwon broke his gaze, looking down shamefully.

There was no answer, but Hyungwon felt the bed shaking ever so slightly, so he looked back up to check. Wonho had a hand over his mouth and his eyes turned into two black crescents. It took Hyungwon a while to realize Wonho was trying to keep in his laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" Hyungwon asked; feeling really puzzled.

Wonho had to shake his head and take a few deep breaths before he could speak properly. "I'm sorry, I swear I didn't mean to laugh." Wonho said, a smile still plastered on his face. "It's just, I find it hilarious that you were feeling troubled and all depressed over those things. You make them seem like it's the end of the world." Wonho thought about what he said and started laughing at his own words.

Hyungwon was still very much confused, wondering how can the person next to him be so content with laughing, while he was sitting there frowning at a dark void inside his heart. He felt like he passed out for a few seconds and missed out everything that has happened in that short moment, and that was why nothing made sense.

Hyungwon gave up trying to put the puzzle pieces together; he realized it was pointless anyways since he didn't even have all the pieces in the first place. So instead of worrying over the puzzle, which would result in a massive headache, he said whatever came to his mind first.

"So you're not angry anymore?" Hyungwon asked, glad that Wonho stopped laughing so he wouldn't need to look like a fool anymore.

"No...I...am...not." Wonho answered, pronouncing his words carefully with extra emphasis to make sure he got the message across clearly. "It's not your fault a stranger came up to you one day and told you to invite 3 people to play a game. You couldn't have done anything else. Well, except to ignore the stranger, but I think I would've been too scared to disobey him too. So it's okay. I'm not angry at you." Wonho explained reassuringly.

One question was answered, but another popped up. "How did you know I've been told to invite you guys? I never told you, did I?" Hyungwon asked.

"No, you didn't tell me. I guess I'm just smart to figure it out myself." Wonho shrugged, a smug grin on his face.

Hyungwon rolled his eyes. He felt the need to say again, "Anyways, I'm still happy you're not angry."

"If you're happy, why aren't you smiling?" Wonho asked, smiling himself.

Hyungwon touched his lips with his fingers instinctively, not knowing the answer himself. Maybe it was the dismal environment they were in. Maybe it was the lack of sleep. Or maybe it was the fact that he couldn't forgive himself for dragging 3 people down into this mess, even though one of them had already forgiven him.

He was still contemplating about the answer when suddenly all his nerves in his body got triggered and he jerked hard, laughing uncontrollably.

"Stop!" Hyungwon managed to shout between laughs, hands going for his waist, where Wonho's fingers were still wriggling frantically.

Wonho finally let go after a few seconds, leaving Hyungwon breathless and still smiling from the impact.

"Look, you look more handsome when you smile." Wonho said, getting ready to climb up to the upper bunk.

"Stop, you're making me blush..." Hyungwon muttered, covering his cheeks with his hands and feeling them heat up. Wonho grinned at the comment, but Hyungwon couldn't see it as he climbed up the ladder.

"Good night!" Wonho said, even though everyone else in the room was still talking and it was practically impossible to fall asleep in the noisy environment.

"Hope you have sweet dreams, I guess." Hyungwon replied, barely whispering the last part. Hyungwon thought he would probably have nightmares with some sort of smiley face with yellow skin somewhere in his dream.

"How could I not have sweet dreams, when I'm sleeping right above a handsome guy that I was lucky to meet and be friends with?"

Hyungwon blushed again, but at least Wonho didn't have to see it this time.

-

To Jooheon's surprise, Changkyun and Minhyuk went to different beds. Since Shownu went off with Kihyun, Jooheon decided to try his luck with Changkyun.

Jooheon walked over to the bed and once he was close enough, he asked, "Hi, um, do you mind if we share a bed?"

Changkyun looked up from his phone and replied immediately, "Of course, come sit." He flashed Jooheon and friendly smile and patted the space beside him.

Jooheon smiled appreciatively to thank Changkyun. He sat down and wondered out loud, "What are you doing on your phone?"

"Oh, I'm just checking the scores." Changkyun tilted his phone so the other could see. "You're in second place. You must be smart. And very skilful."

Jooheon rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. "Well, it's because Shownu-hyung helped me. I suck at these games. I never know who to trust, or when to lie, or what to do in general."

Before Changkyun could say anything, Jooheon asked, "Why didn't you share a bed with Minhyuk? I thought you were friends." Jooheon felt a little bad for not letting Changkyun reply, but he was too curious to care.

Thankfully Changkyun didn't seem to mind and looked happy to answer. "Friends don't always have to stick together."

"Ok, fair enough." Jooheon was about to move on to another topic when he caught a hint of uncertainty in Changkyun's eyes. "You're hiding something aren't you?"

For a moment Jooheon was afraid that Changkyun would get pissed off at his question since he, barely a friend, sounded too nosy. But Changkyun only sighed. A long, extended sigh, as if he was trying to discard all of his worries with one long exhale.

Jooheon decided to give Changkyun some time, keeping quiet and waiting until the other was ready.

"He's not my friend." Changkyun closed his eyes and shook his head. "I mean, I thought he was, but I don't know anymore. I don't know what we are."

Jooheon didn't know how to respond to that, so he was thankful when Changkyun continued explaining.

"We were university students, and even though he' s a few years older than me, we were really close friends. I've forgotten how we met exactly, but that doesn't matter. We ate together, played together, revised together...we did almost everything together. And maybe it's because of Minhyuk's touchy personality, some classmates started thinking we were more than just friends, some even started a rumour about how we were boyfriends." Changkyun finally looked up, Jooheon listening intently despite the thousand questions floating in his head.

"The rumours got really exaggerated and almost the whole school knew at that time. Since then Minhyuk acted really weird, and I don't know how to explain this so you would understand, but basically everything turned awkward and shit. One example is that he would be really annoyed and insecure around me, and the next thing I know, he would be running towards me and hugging me so hard I can barely breathe."

Jooheon stared at Changkyun while he let the information sink in.

"I'm sorry, I must be boring you. Talking about me this whole time." Changkyun said, adverting his gaze to focus on a spot that wasn't Jooheon's eyes.

"No no, it's okay. I don't mind." Jooheon thought it was hard enough for Changkyun to open up like that, so he let all the questions fade away; he knew the questions would open up old wounds. "I'm really happy that you are willing to open up to me. It shows that you trust me, and it really means a lot to me. Thanks."

Changkyun looked up with a small smile on his face.

"It's your turn. Tell me something about you." Changkyun said, this time looking directly at Jooheon.

"What do you want to know?"

"Um..." Changkyun thought out loud, his smile slowing turning into a mischievous grin when an idea came to his mind. "I know we weren't really friends in university, but I remember how you had this massive crush on this girl in school. Basically everyone knows. So, how'd you guys turn out? You still like her? Or do you have someone else in mind?"

Jooheon, expecting a completely different type of question, was taken aback by what he heard. His brain stopped working so he couldn't utter a word despite his open mouth, but his body was definitely functioning properly, because, in a matter of seconds, he felt his cheeks heat up.

Changkyun laughed when he saw the pink colour on Jooheon's face. "You don't have to be so nervous, I didn't ask you who you like, I just asked whether you like someone or not. Are you embarrassed of the fact that I know who you liked, or for the fact that you like someone else now?"

Jooheon leaned in so his elbows were rested on his thighs, then he buried his face into his hands, wishing a hole could just appear in front of him so he could jump down and hide. "Oh my god this is so embarrassing."

Then he took a short breath and sneaked a peek at the younger, "I don't think I ever even liked her in the first place... so yeah, I like someone else now."

Although Jooheon's words were barely a whisper, Changkyun heard it and laughed even louder this time. "Can you tell me who you like then?"

As soon as the question reached his ears, Jooheon sprang up to his original position, eyes widened and head shaking vigorously. He didn't care if that was making him incredibly dizzy; he needed to make his point.

"Woah woah, ok just calm down, I won't force you if you don't want to say it." Changkyun said, holding up his palms and making a pushing gesture to calm the other down. Changkyun realized Jooheon's cheeks got even redder, but he didn't comment on it, and he made sure his face didn't betray anything either.

To his surprise, Jooheon spoke up himself. "No... I will tell you, you told me a lot, so this is the least I can do. And it's only because, because..." Jooheon sighed, frustrated. "You know what, just forget that, it doesn't matter why I'm telling you."

Jooheon opened his mouth, only to realize nothing was going to come out if he had to look at Changkyun. So he buried his face in his hands again and took deep breaths.

"It's probably stupid...this is the worst timing ever..." He shook his head slowly and sighed one more time.

"...I like you. I think I have liked you since the day we shared the same Maths class in university."

-

"Do you hate me?" All Shownu's throat managed was a croak, his words barely audible.

Somehow Shownu found the courage to look up, and at that moment he didn't know what shocked him more: his reaction or Kihyun's reaction.

Kihyun looked up too, large tears brimming in his eyes, the water shimmering despite the dim lights, threatening to fall.

Shownu, letting his emotions and body take over, smiled bitterly, his nose turning sour as well.

Kihyun refused to let his tears fall, and he thought talking would trigger and break the barrier, so for a long while they were staring at each other, not knowing what to do or say.

It was Kihyun who gave in. He couldn't stand the stinging tears in his eyes, the blurred vision, or generally, the immense stress from the built up suspense. He closed his eyes and, once they opened, tears streaked down his cheeks, which seemed to push Shownu close to the brink of crying as well. The barrier wasn't the only thing that had broke, Kihyun's breathing became irregular as well, Shownu recognized it from the abrupt rise and fall of his shoulders.

Then, very slowly, Kihyun started nodding.

"Yes, yes I do. I hate you, I really do."

Suddenly the door slammed open, making them jump ten feet in the air. Kihyun turned around quick enough so whoever was at the doorway wouldn't know he cried. Shownu, at his current state, put on the best poker face he could manage.

"Have any of you seen Minhyuk?" So Changkyun was the culprit. "No one saw him left, but he's not in the room. Did you see him open the door?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 892 11
Wonho never thought a bet would lead to this. Being the play boy he is , he just want to show his friends he can get anyone who wants , he only wante...
35.5K 1.6K 12
"you little bitch!" "i told you! i always win!" - completed -
109K 5K 29
In which Monsta X's dorm lifestyle is pretty fucking domestic. _________ Kihyun focus.
36K 1.5K 32
Maybe, it wasn't too fast, or maybe it was. What actually had him pinned on you? Both you and him clearly wasn't expecting it. --- Last update : 2020...