Cadence

MelissaMayer-Blue tarafından

Langston Brothers Series Book 2 When murder suspect Cadence Jamison disguises herself as a boy and stows aboa... Daha Fazla

Cadence
Prologue
ONE
TWO
THREE
Four
Five
six
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Epilogue

Seven

8.5K 470 27
MelissaMayer-Blue tarafından

Seven

Raising a tentative hand to the tender area at the back of her head Cadence cringed and burrowed more deeply into the cotton sheets enveloping her. Blissfully content and sleepy she inhaled deeply of the masculine cologne wafting through her senses. The ship rocked serenely indicating the storm had gone.

“Good morning, Cadence.”

Her eyes flew instantly open as she shot bolt upright in bed. A searing pain exploded in her skull and she instantly regretted the movement as a wave of dizziness consumed her. Strong arms banded around her, easing the descent as she fell back onto the bed. When the world at last stopped spinning she opened her eyes and found herself mere inches from the handsome visage of Curtis Langston. One storm may well be over, but another was surely brewing right here in this cabin.

She snapped her eyes shut again.

He was seeing her, not Cam,and his eyes glowedwith accusation.

“I thought there was something familiar about you from the beginning.” Curtis tapped a thoughtful finger against his jaw. “Did you think I wouldn’t figure it out?”

Cadence gulped, his words dripped with sarcasm, but reallywhat had she expected?

With guilt laden spirits she met his gaze. “Curtis, I…” What could she say? There was really nothing to say. With a shrug she rose gingerly on an elbow. In that moment it dawned on her that she was not wearing her cabin boy attire. She shot to a sitting position once again. A large shirt with buttons down the front covered her and beneath it she was entirely bereft of clothing.

Her eyes widened in horror as she turned an accusing stare on Curtis. “You!” she squealed, clasping the sheet over her poorly concealed breasts, or rather poorly concealed body. “You undressed me, didn’t you?” No man had ever been allowed, much less taken, such liberties!

Pure mischief twinkled in Curtis’s eyes, toying at the corners of his mouth as he fought back a lopsided grin. His gaze roved leisurely over her breasts, no longer strapped flat by binding cloths, and down to her waist and legs covered by nothing more than his sheet. Cadence flushed beneath his heated stare. She may as well have been naked for all his suggestive leer implied and suddenly she missed her baggy canvas trousers and loose denim shirt.

“Would you have preferred one of the deckhands undressed you?” He raised his hands in casual dismissal of her accusation. “The boys would have bowed and called me god for such a gift.”

A hint of boyish fun rolled across his face so intoxicating Cadence nearly melted.

“But that is beside the point. You were soaking wet, and at the time, I believed you were a young man.” All good humor drained from his blue eyes. “Which brings me back to the situation at hand,” he learned forward clasping his hands together in front of him. “What are you doing on my ship cavorting about as a boy?”

She searched for the words to explain the situation. What had she been thinking? Had she really thought she’d get away with fooling him? “I’m sorry,” she said quietly, looking him directly in the eye. “I just needed to run away from my life. I—I couldn’t take it anymore.” Visions of crimson blood flashed before her eyes.

Curtis shook his head ruefully. “So you stowed away on a ship dressed as a cabin boy?” He stood and began pacing around the room. “I am not as dull witted as our days in the schoolhouse might have you believe,” he said coldly. “Do not assume I will be fooled by meager excuses.”

Cadence swallowed unsure if he expected a verbal response or if he meant to lecture her further.

“If you needed help why didn’t you just ask me for it?”

“And what would you have done?” Cadence threw her arms up in defense of her actions. “I’ll tell you what you woul—”

“How could you possibly have known what I would have done to help you?” Curtis spun on her. “I saw firsthand how your father treated you! If you had asked for my help I would have done—” He paused, blatant outrage sobering as unmistakable guilt filtered across his expression.

“Nothing,” Cadence finished for him.

“That is not true.” He stalked forward, towering over her. “I would have done something.”

Sitting half reclined on the bed—Curtis’sbed, watching him glower down at her, Cadence suddenly felt utterly vulnerable. Scooting to the end of the bed, she stood, flipping the tangle of curls saucily away from her neck she was totally unaware of the uninhibited view of her breasts bouncing beneath the thin fabric of the shirt, and the exposure of her long sleek legs.

*        *        *

Curtis was not so unaware and swallowed hard against the sudden throbbing in his head… and chest… and loins… he was in trouble.

“What, Curtis? What would you have done for a slip of a girl that you’re hardly acquainted with?” She closed the distance between them, jabbing a finger into his chest. “I didn’t know you well enough to ask for help! What would I have said ‘oh, Curtis please take me away with you on some grand adventure?’”

I probably would have agreed… Damn! He was in worse trouble than he’d initially realized.

“Oh, but sneaking aboard my ship disguised as a boy was certainly a much better alternative!” he prowled a half circle around her, letting his gaze drop to her perfectly round bottom, reallyhe couldn’t help himself. “Or perhaps that was all part of your plan. Perhaps the whole idea was to sneak aboard TheMistress and trap me for your own ends. It’s exactly the sort of thing your sister would have done. Did your parents send you here?”

Cadence blanched visibly. Her violet eyes—the exact color of the sky after a gale—widened… hurt… and it ate at him.

“No,” she breathed, shaking her head vehemently. “No, Curtis, you can’t believe that!” She stepped forward imploringly. “I have no desire to trap you. I just needed to run away. This—” her sweeping gesture seemed to indicate the entire ship, “is my means of escape. You were never supposed to find out!”

“Do you really expect me to believe that?”

Before she could answer the ship rolled without warning and sent her sprawling into his sturdy chest. Instinctively Curtis caught her up in his arms and the contact sent electric shockwaves coursing through them both.

For a moment the contact seemed to suspend time. Their pale eyes locked and their breath mingled in the air. The soft golden tendrils of her thick hair tickled his chin and her full round breasts crushed against his chest chased all anger from his mind. In truth he was unable to form any thought other than how perfect and warm she felt in his arms, or how sweet her lips had tasted the night he’d kissed her in Charleston. A delicate pink blush crept into her cheeks as he gazed at her, the color of roses and ivory, and while she looked apprehensive, she made no attempt to pull away.

He was going to kiss her again. Cadence was sure of it. Her heart pounded, her palms curled into his shirt, and when he leaned in until there was naught but a hair’s width between them she was sure her heart would shatter in anticipation of the moment. Her eyes fluttered but didn’t close at the gentle touch. Pulling back slightly he gazed almost questioningly into her eyes before capturing her lips in a much hungrier exchange.

Cadence could not breathe as his lips pressed hard and firm, demanding, over her own. She didn’t want to breathe. This exchange was delicious, an exploration, as his mouth moved with confidence over hers. One elbow crooked around her neck drawing her face up and closer while the other locked around the small of her back. Instinctively her arms curled around his neck crushing her against the sculpted contours of his body. It was amazing. His body was hard and yielding all at the same time and in a way that made her hot… everywhere. His tongue dragged erotically across the crease of her lips urging them to part and when it dipped into her mouth she shuddered and emitted a small moan. This kiss went so far beyond the tingling sensation she’d experienced on the porch in Charleston, this kiss left her dizzy, reeling and desperate for more. She wanted to do this every minute of every day for the rest of eternity…

Curtis ran a rough palm down the bare curve of her thigh until she lifted it just enough to wrap around his leg. She parted her lips hesitantly, innocentlyagainst his, letting him teach her with his mouth. He groaned and her insides leapt with pleasure. His fingers clutched her with increasing intensity and Cadence nearly panicked when he raised the tail of the shirt, the only barrier between his hands and her flesh—

“Captain!” a heavy rap upon the door and the voice of Mr. Bowen reinstated the passage of time, dragging them back to reality.

Cadence took a heady step out of his arms pressing both palms to her flushed cheeks. “What?” Curtis barked, shoving abruptly away from her.

“We’ll be needin’ ye on the deck, sir,” the mate replied brusquely.

“On my way,” Curtis returned testily. Turning back to Cadence he spoke quietly, “Do not leave my cabin. I’m not finished with you yet.”

She did not know what to make of his meaning and stood stock still in the middle of the room as he stalked through the door. She hadn’t known it was possible for a man to have so many muscles, to be so hard, or feel so good. No fantasy could have done that man justice. Man? Oh, no, Curtis Langston was a god. Shaking her head to clear it she looked around and instantly realized she had no idea how long she’d been unconscious. Hours? Days? In the wake of the storm the blue sky and November sun reflected brilliantly off the deceptively calm, glossy sea. Attempting to distract herself she walked to the porthole rubbing her arms, thoroughly shaken by the recent turn of events.

What would Curtis do with her now?

He’d been angry enough to breathe fire in one instant, and in the next, kissing her as she’d not known it was possible to be kissed. Quickly scanning the cabin she located her clothes, dried stiffly, but wearable. She dragged them on. Perching tentatively on the bed she debated on whether or not to await Curtis’s return. Electing to comply with his present wishes rather than take the risk of prompting further wrath she paced the room nervously toying with her hair, which for the moment she’d left loose—it felt good to wear it unbound.

What if he tried to kiss her again?

It wasn’t that she didn’t enjoy kissing him or even that she didn’t want to kiss him—she did want to kiss him—but she was terrified of where his amorous attentions may ultimately lead. He need only look at her and she lost all sense of time or propriety. Curtis affected her as no other ever had or would. She responded to him with an abandon bordering upon recklessness. If pressed, she had serious doubts as to her ability to keep from yielding all of herself to him. Cadence knew what happened between a man and woman and truth be told in the deepest regions of her soul she wanted for him to do far more than kiss her.

*       *       *

On deck the bite of salty November air did much to cool Curtis’s flaming ardor. Five weeks at sea fantasizing about a woman and… His thoughts transported him back to the cabin…

She’d landed in his arms and suddenly he hadn’t been cold any longer. He’d been on fire,burningfor her. He’d dreamed about Cadence… longed to hold her, make love to her, and then there she was willing and pliant and practically naked in his arms. The feel of her slender body arched against his seemed permanently imprinted on his flesh. If Mr. Bowen had not interrupted at that particular moment Curtis had little doubt he’d have been making love to Cadence in mere moments. Tugging off his knit cap he ran a calloused hand over his face.

What was she doing here? He knew things at home had been bad, but what would prompt her to disguise herself as a boy and stow away aboard a ship? His ship? What would prompt her to forever destroy her reputation? His jaw tensed as the only plausible explanation for her actions flashed bold and painful in his brain.

She wanted to trap him—or more likely his money. Scheming women had tried to trap both of his older brothers in compromising situations; such was the curse of belonging to a rich and powerful family. Why should Curtis believe himself exempt from such underhanded ploys?

It all made perfect sense. Why hadn’t he seen through her motives sooner?

All she had to do was come aboard his ship make her presence known and his bachelor’s life was over, done-for! Well, Curtis Langston was not a man so easily fooled. As much as her shimmering beauty had appealed to him it was obvious what a scheming wench she really was. Angel… Ha! To think he’d believed her all sweetness and light and good. Here was proof that all goodness was tainted. She was no different. This time his escape had been narrow, too narrow, but next time… there wouldn’t be a next time.She may have placed the noose around his neck, but he would be damned before he allowed Cadence Jamison to tighten the knot.

*       *       *

The vision of a noose flashed before her mind’s eye. Cadence shuddered. For four miserable hours later she paced the captain’s cabin in nervous apprehension. Curtis was still angry. No doubt he was preparing to have her thrown in the brig for transport back to Charleston Harbor this very moment.

What awaited her in Charleston was unbearable.

Just as she was ready to escape Curtis’s quarters and seek refuge in her own bunk the door quietly opened and closed with an ominous click of the latch. Turning slowly her heart grew cold at the sight of him. Standing rigid inside the hatch he exuded the very essence of a wrathful god. Twisting her hands nervously no adequate words of explanation came to her lips, so she waited for him to speak.

“I know what you’re about, Cadence.” His quiet voice was razor sharp as he strode toward her.

He knew? What did he know? What could he have heard before setting sail? What had the other crewman told him?

“I will not be trapped by a conniving, devious little girl who fancies getting rich by snaring a rich husband!”

Relief so profound she nearly laughed aloud descended upon her. He had no knowledge of her plight. But the relief was bittersweet as each word chiseled viciously at her heart. His eyes burned so condemningly that her head sagged in defeat upon her shoulders.

“Look at me!” he growled grabbing her shoulders and giving them a vicious shake.

Unable to raise her eyes she choked on a heartbroken sob. “No,” the word was barely audible. “You’re mistaken, Curtis. I’m not trying to trap you.”

“Like hell!” he scorned.

“No!” she cried out again, tears spilling unchecked over thick dark lashes. “I told you before I just needed to get away from Charleston, away from family, from my life!” His eyes, so unearthly blue, glowed coldly into hers. “Please believe me, Curtis, I want and expect nothing from you. I have no illusions of becoming your wife. Please,” she sobbed the word again, “please believe me. Don’t take me back to Charleston.”

Curtis hesitated, hard exterior wavering. A sliver of hope wiggled into her mind. Perhaps he would heed her plea and assist her after all.

“No one on board this vessel will know who you really are,” Curtis said finally. “As long as you remain aboard my ship you will be ‘Cam’ the cabin boy. In London I will secure you appropriately chaperoned passage back to Charleston and I will deny any claims of your ever having been on my ship. Is that clear?”

Cadence lost all hope. Curtis Langston was no different from any other man. And he was certainly no knight in shining armor. Throughout the whole of her life men had expected, nay, believed the worst of her, seen her as tainted because of the nefarious deeds of her mother and sister. She’d believed Curtis different, believed he’d see her differently. It was cruel indeed to learn this one man who quickened her pulse was cut of the same cloth as her father. Surely the whole of the sex was the same. Though Curtis had never physically struck her, his blows of distrust had proved more painful, and the consequences infinitely more dire.

With new found defiance she stared at his turned back. She would not hang for a crime she’d not committed! She would still escape. One day Curtis Langston, and this suffocating pain in her breast, would be but a distant memory. She was stronger than this. She was stronger than all of them! I don’t need him, she screamed silently, bolting for the comfort of her small cabin, I can make a life for myself. With resounding finality she slammed the door sliding the latch home. Collapsing into her bunk, she allowed a heart wrenching sob to tear from her throat, try as she might the endless flow of tears would not be swallowed back.

“Damn you Curtis Langston

But the words were false even to her ears. It was not Curtis she was angry with. It was fate.

*        *        *

“The captain is in a foul temper tonight.” Curtis overheard the night watchman matter-of-factly state to Mr. Bowen. He’d stalked restlessly about the deck for hours, at long last stopping to brood in an inky shadow.

“Aye,” Mr. Bowen agreed. “If we weren’t so long at sea I’d have a mind to think a woman had jilted him.”

If only these men knew.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

8.1K 3K 56
⋋✿ ✿⋌⋋✿ ✿⋌ The Supernatural Diaries Series: Book Two ⋋✿ ✿⋌⋋✿ ✿⋌ McCheynne College turned out to be more daunting than Radiance had expected. She ha...
386K 14.2K 23
Jilted by her fiancé, Marissa is done with men until fate steps in and she finds that Craig Langston may be more man than she can resist. Marissa is...
3.9K 329 41
{BOOK 2: Caster's Council Series} This is the story of love lost and love gained. Theodore is bruised, battered and broken. There lies no hint of hop...
46.1K 1.9K 21
Virgil has a dark secret that he has been keeping from the other sides. How long will it take until one of them finds out? ⚠️WARNING⚠️ swearing, angs...