How He Fell

By sxreya

C O M P L E T E D ☙❦❧ "Who would ever love Medusa?" "The... More

How He Fell | 1/10/18
~ Characters/Aesthetics ~
0 0 | e v e l y n
0 0 | m a d d o x
0 0 | e v e l y n
0 0 | m a d d o x
0 1 | e n c o u n t e r
0 2 | g e n t l e
0 3 | i n e v i t a b l e
0 4 | s t o r m
0 5 | c o n f e s s i o n s
0 6 | f r i e n d s
Note
0 7 | b a t t l e
0 8 | l o n e l y
0 9 | g u e s s e s
1 0 | a n s w e r s
1 1 | s t a r e s
1 2 | h e l p l e s s
1 3 | m a d d e n i n g
The Fiction Awards
1 5 | d e a t h
1 6 | r e g r e t s
1 7 | d i s h e a r t e n e d
1 8 | r e v e l a t i o n s
1 9 | s e c r e t s
2 0 | l i e s
2 1 | a l o n e
2 2 | f r i e n d s h i p s
2 3 | o k a y
2 4 | f a l l e n
2 5 | q u e s t i o n s
2 6 | h o p e
2 7 | l i m i t e d
2 8 | d r u n k
2 9 | d o n e
3 0 | b r o k e n
3 1 | w a i t
3 2 | s o m e t i m e s
3 3 | p r o m i s e s
3 4 | l o v e
3 5 | s e t t l e d
Falling In A Frenzy
b o n u s | 1 6
Daisies For Delilah
| Vote! |

1 4 | l u s t

21K 967 700
By sxreya

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards 2020. Please please please go vote for the book in the Teen Fiction Category and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: Where's My Love by SYML

☙❦❧

MADDOX loved Friday's.

School was always better. Everyone was always more energized and there's some kind of electricity that flowed through everyone. It's nice when everyone was collectively happy, even if it's just for that day.

Sadly, Maddox wasn't feeling the fun.

"What happened?" her voice cut through as she nudged his shoulder.

Rubbing his eyes, he groaned as he opened them. The tiredness was noticeable from a mile away. He was exhausted and something told her that it wasn't because of lack of sleep.

"I saw him."

Tiana stopped in her tracks as she tied her hair up in a ponytail. Opening her mouth to speak, she hesitated as she took a breath.

"Oh," she quietly whispered.

Maddox nodded his head in agreement, "Yeah. Oh."

Pursing her lips, she laid a hand on his forearm. Gently squeezing, she tried to comfort him.

"When? How?"

"Mall. I don't know," he said shaking his head as if trying to deny the words coming out of his mouth.

"Did he see you?" she asked with subtle anger in her voice.

"Yeah he um he was with some girl probably too young for him and I bumped into him by accident."

Looking out at the courtyard in front of them, Tiana tried to get her thoughts organized, but she found it hard to as they kept jumbling themselves up.

"He won't ever get to her," she stated after some calculative thought. Shaking her head as if trying to convince herself as well, she whispered the words to herself. Maybe if she says them enough, the lie will start to consume them into thinking it's how reality will go.

Sparing a glance his way, she pursued her lips as a small sigh of defeat escaped her slightly open mouth. Tiana didn't know how to comfort Maddox anymore in all honesty. There was once a time where she was his rock, besides Reese of course. But Reese was making his move in Hollywood and he wasn't always available to talk in person. Maddox turned to Tiana and when he did, she felt thrilled.

She felt thrilled to finally be getting that attention, the attention she definitely deserved. Considering she'd been there when bad news broke out, when Maddox would cry silently. She'd wrap her arms around him and just rest her cheek against his back. She always tried to let him know that he had someone there for him in that moment. She was never sure if her work paid off, but it was insinuated when he admitted things to her willingly.

He had made her a piece of metal in what was his anchor. She was glad to be apart of that.

That was gone now though.

It had been fine for a good while, but ever since a certain shy girl waltzed into his life, Tiana had been pushed aside. That was for sure and there was no refuting the truth in that. Sadly, Tiana had to face it as well and it didn't settle well with her.

It wasn't exactly comforting to know that she had to work a year to finally get Maddox to open just a tiny fraction of what was his life, to her. To finally let her have a peek through the door that wasn't fully closed anymore to her.

Then Evelyn Moreau comes barging the door open without any grumble of annoyance from Maddox. He just let her and Tiana knew exactly what that meant.

It hurt her.

Now he doesn't let her in. He tells her stuff, but he doesn't let her in. He may not tell Evelyn the stuff he tells Tiana, but on the other hand...he lets Evelyn in.

Rolling her bottom lip under her teeth, Tiana squeezed her eyes shut in hopes of clearing her mind. All she wanted to do was give Maddox something to go on. A little hope. She had nothing though.

"I'm sorry," she faintly voiced her defeat.

Her defeat in what was a war only in her mind. The war that was just another silent demon she faced.

He nodded his head as he looked the other way, hiding the pain falling from his cheeks.

She inhaled sharply and brought her hand up to rest on his shoulder, to tell him that it's okay to show her the tears. But she hesitated and just before she could touch him, she stopped. Stiffening her muscles, she balled her hand into a tight fist before retracting it. Digging her nails into her skin, she took comfort in the pain that was now brought upon her.

She hated when he was alone in the bath of pain he always succumbed to. He somehow managed to take up all the space so no one else would have to suffer the cold, frost-bite like water.

Only he would get the burns.

That's how he was selfless and that's why she fell in love with him. She fell for the flirty smile on his lips the first time she had ever had an encounter with him. She drowned in the pools of his eyes, she burned her hands when she ran them through the fire that was his hair. She had made her body a place for him, she gave no time to worship herself. Rather, she let him do whatever he pleased in hopes of making him happy enough to love her.

After all, her parents had always taught her that love was given in exchange for lust.

She was confused why it never worked with Maddox though. He never really loved her like that.

Of course she didn't know that. She believed whatever she thought was being displayed. What she mistook for love was really just affection.

"Maddox?"

Her head jerked up. It wasn't her who spoke, but the voice of the person who snapped her out of her thoughts. Registering that it was none other than Evelyn Moreau who stood before them, a sick feeling made its way to Tiana's stomach. Like throwing up acid.

On the other hand, Evelyn's presence seemed to calm Maddox down immensely.

"Evelyn," he whispered as a tear fell down his cheek.

Rushing over to him, she kneeled in front of him and wiped the tear from his cheek. More tears fell and she embraced him into her arms, letting him soak her shirt.

He was broken more than ever in that moment and Evelyn's appearance was like pushing a weight off his shoulder. For whatever reason he had no clue. But every time she was around, there was a feeling in his stomach. It was a weird feeling, a feeling that made him happy to see her. Relieved to see her.

Watching the exchange, Tiana felt bitter and forgotten all in a span of maybe five seconds. Knowing Maddox didn't need her anymore, she got up quietly and started to walk away. Glancing back at them, she heard Evelyn asked Maddox why he was crying, what was wrong.

Shaking her head with a sardonic smile, she continued to leave the two alone. There was no reason to get between love just because she couldn't have it.

She didn't know it, but Maddox noticed her absence. He watched her leave and for some reason, it didn't bother him. He didn't need her to be there for him anymore. As the girl in front of him fussed over his pain, a small smile adorned his lips.

Evelyn was something else. She was like a calm wind that ended his reign in the hurricane. Watching her grumble over him, he wanted nothing more than to keep her with him forever.

"Are you sure you're okay Maddox?" she quietly questioned with her eyebrows furrowed. Obvious worry dotted the creases in her forehead.

Taking a deep breath, he took his time responding, "I'll be okay."

The bell ring signaling that the last period of the day was certainly over so getting up, the both of them made their way outside.

"How about that boxing lesson," Evelyn said as she playfully nudged his shoulder.

"Are you sure you're ready for another one?" Maddox replied with a small smirk on his face.

He knew she was just try not to distract him from the reason he was crying. She didn't ask questions, she didn't try to pry anything out of him. All she did was stay by his side in case he needed the support.

For that he was thankful.

"I think I can handle it," she said laughing quietly.

~•~

"I can't handle it," she groaned as she flopped onto the bench.

"Of course you can't," he scoffed giving her an I-told-you-so look.

Throwing the boxing gloves at him, she huffed, "Don't make fun of my lack of stamina and strength."

Holding his hands up in surrender, he sat down in the floor checking his phone.

"Who is it?" Evelyn piped up after a while.

"Just my mom," he said shaking his head.

"What does she want?"

Putting his phone down, he sighed running a hand through his hair. Shrugging he looked up at her.

"She's pestering me to get the suit by tomorrow just so I won't forget until the day of the gala."

Evelyn sat up straight with curious eyes, "Gala?"

"Yeah," he said giving her a weird look, "don't you know about the annual gala? It happens on the 21st of December every year."

Shock was written on Evelyn's innocent features. Clearly she wasn't as integrated into their town's little gatherings every year.

"Oh...?"

"You really didn't know," he stated in confusion, "Everyone in town attends as well as business moguls from outside. It's the perfect event to interest investors for companies and such."

She nodded her head in understanding, "Um that's cool. I uh my father has me stay home on the 21st every year," she scornfully mumbled.

"Something about them leaving for the night and needing me to keep the fort down. They never have their guards or butlers and such look after the house on the 21st. That's why it always made sense for me to stay."

"Probably so the guards and butlers could work the event," Maddox replied. Watching her sorrowful expression, he sighed.

"Do you want to go?"

"To a gala? That would be like a dream come true," she responded smiling slightly, "but if I was to stay home on the 21st every year then it means they don't want me at the gala so....." she trailed off with a shrug.

Before he could catch himself, he spoke suddenly.

"Come with me."

Her eyes widened as she looked at him in surprise. She struggled to form words to reject his offer as politely as possible.

"I-I— I can't," she finished with a regretful smile.

Staring at her, he noticed how flustered she got all of the sudden. Wondering what that was about, he wanted to question it but knew better.

"You're parents will let you if they know it's me asking for you to tag along," he said with a shrug, "god knows how long Moreau Markets has been pestering Industria Lohan to invest in its new direction of getting into architecture."

Evelyn smiled in humor before giving a mundane response, "It doesn't matter Maddox. I don't have a dress."

Waving a hand to signal that she was spouting bullshit, he rolled his eyes, "Don't worry about that. Just come with me."

As she pursed her lips in doubt, he knew she was on the fence about going.

Opening his mouth he spoke once more taking her hands into his own, "I want you there with me."

The look in his eyes did it and soon enough she was nodding as the blush crawling up her neck intensified.

"Okay," she mumbled.

Smirking, he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and leaned closer. Her breathing became shallow and he knew he had some effect on her. He just wasn't sure what effect to be exact.

"Do I make you nervous?"

"Um n-no no you don't. It's just the proximity," she rushed out trying to defend her stupidly obvious actions.

Sitting back down, he nodded and clicked his tongue, "If that's what you say."

Watching as she got up claiming she needed some air, he felt unsure.

In a way that made him feel wrong.

☙❦❧

Three weeks.

I'm apologizing profusely for leaving you guys like that without any sort of warning. Honestly it's been a long three weeks with AP exams and keystones and now an SAT Subject test fml.

The chapter sucks. One of my worst chapters so far and I don't even want to post it, but I don't know what else to do. Writer's block got to me and it sucks because I want to write, I have the ideas, but I can't portray those ideas how I want them to be portrayed.

I swear it gets better.

ALSO. Check out xtruebeautyx 's story How It Was. She just started it, but it's worth the read. If you're into billionaire books then head over!

Comment, vote, follow and blah blah blah you know the usual shit.

Love you guys so much. Xx.

~ Shay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 796 9
Bea had a deep crush on Thyago since fifth grade but he happens to be her cousin's boyfriend- Elena. Thyago was not only the good Mayor's son and the...
9.5K 345 88
| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors, i apologize and i will be editing in th...
52.4K 4.3K 68
Morgan Hall is your average teenager. That is if you consider having a billionaire CEO of a world renowned company as a dad and a fashion designer of...
127K 5.9K 35
Official Wattpad Creator, and super proud of it! Maddox has been in love with Rose for a few months now. Just like an angel, she has captured his hea...