How to Write a Good Story

By JoyCronje

This book is a collection of resources and random tips that will help you become a better writer and create s... More

Body Language (I)
Body Language (II)
Body Language (III)
Body Langauge (IIII)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (I)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (II)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (III)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (IIII)
Donna Ippolito
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (I)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (II)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (III)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (IIII)
Elizabeth Sims
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (I)
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (II)
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (III)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (I)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (II)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (III)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (IIII)
Interlude: Joy on writing a good story
Using the Reverse Dictionary
'Ly' Adverbs (I)
'Ly' Adverbs (II)
Ernest Hemingway's app and advice (I)
Ernest Hemingway App and Advice (II)
Ernest Hemingway App and Advice (III)
Ellen Brock: Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (I)
Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (II)
Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (III)
Interlude: Fun stuff (I)
Interlude: Fun stuff (II)
Randy Ingermanson: the Snowflake Method (I)
the Snowflake Method (II)
the Snowflake Method (III)
the Snowflake Method (IIII)
Gayle Moran on Points of View in Writing
Points of View in Writing (II)
Naming your Characters
Interlude: Joy on Plotting and Characters (I)
Interlude: Joy on Plotting and Characters (II)
Writing From more than one Point of View
Writing from More than One Point of View (II)
Janice Hardy on Multiple Point of View Characters
Jody Hedlund: 7 POV Tips -Avoid being Branded as an Amateur
Words To Describe a Character's Voice
Fictional vs Real Settings for your Story
Janice Hardy: 10 Questions to Ask when Choosing a Setting (I)
10 Questions to Ask when Choosing a Setting (II)
Randall S Hansen: Expanding Your Vocabulary (I)
Expanding Your Vocabulary (II)
Amanda Patterson: Guaranteed ways to bore your reader
Richard Nordquist: 200 Common Redundancies (I)
Common redundancies (II)
200 Common Redundancies (III)
Eight Ways to Strengthen your Prose
Leo Babauta: 31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing
31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing (II)
Interlude: Joy on overcoming writer's block
ProofEditWrite.com: Avoid Clichés
Avoid Clichés (II)
Words to Describe a Room
David Mesick: Three Things that will Make your Characters Deeper
SaidSimple: When To Start A New Paragraph
Rachelle Gardner: How to cut Thousands of Words without Shedding a Tear
Passed or Past? (grammarmonster.com)
Bare vs. Bear
Chuck Wendig: 25 Things a Great Character Needs
HOW TO PLOT A STORY
ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICE
Grammar Girl & Grammar Party: until, 'til, till, til
Gilliane Berry: The Ten Worst Ways to End a Book
Gary Korisko: How to Write With Confidence
silverpen.org: Grand List of Fantasy Clichés
Chuck Wendig: said or fancy-pants words
When Should We CaPiTaLizE?
Rob Hart: Plot Clichés
Strange Horizons: Stories we've seen too often (I)
Strange Horizons: Stories we've seen too often (II)
Strange Horizons: Horror stories we've seen too often
PunctuationMadeSimple.com
Punctuationmadesimple.com: The Apostrophe

'Ly' Adverbs (III)

2.8K 55 3
By JoyCronje

 This is part two of the previous article, and contains many amazing quotes from famous authors about adverbs.

------

"Most adverbs are unnecessary. You will clutter your sentence and annoy the reader if you choose a verb that has a specific meaning and then add an adverb that carries the same meaning. Don't tell us that the radio blared loudly - "blare" connotes loudness. Don't write that someone clenched his teeth tightly - there's no other way to clench teeth. Again and again in careless writing, strong verbs are weakened by redundant adverbs.

So are adjectives and other parts of speech: "effortlessly easy," slightly Spartan," "totally flabbergasted." The beauty of "flabbergasted" is that it implies an astonishment that is total; I can't picture someone being partly flabbergasted. If an action is so easy as to be effortless, use "effortless." And what is "slightly Spartan"? Perhaps a monk's cell with wall-to-wall carpeting? Don't use adverbs unless they do necessary work. Spare us the news that the losing athlete moped sadly and the winner grinned widely."

On Writing Well, 5th Edition - William Zinsser.

"Perhaps it's a lack of confidence on the writer's part, perhaps it's simple laziness, or perhaps it's a misguided attempt to break up the monotony of using "said" all the time, but all too many fiction writers tend to pepper their dialogue with -lys.

Which is a good reason to cut virtually every one you write. Ly adverbs almost always catch the author in the act of explaining dialogue - smuggling emotions into speaker attributions that belong in the dialogue itself. Again, if your dialogue doesn't need props, putting the props in will make it seem weak even though it isn't.

For a final word on the subject, her's a quote from an interview with Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

To tighten his own writing, [Marquez] has eliminated adverbs, which in Spanish all have the ending -mente [the equivalent of -ly] "before Chronicle of a Death Foretold," he says, "there are many. In Chronicle, I think there is one. After that, in Love there are none. In Spanish, the adverb -mente is a very easy solution. But when you want to use -mente and look for another form it [the other form] always is better. It has become so natural to me that I don't even notice anymore."

~ Self Editing For Fiction Writers - Renni Browne and Dave King.

"Prose has a bit more time to hover, daydream, linger, mess around. Poetry does not. Since every word in a poem must be an essential one, be careful that you are not adding words that don't really need to be there. This includes the words that modify nouns and verbs - the adjectives and adverbs. While these descriptive word-types can sometimes further color a noun or better define a verb, you'll find as you continue building your craft as a poet that you will tend to use adjectives and, especially, adverbs much less.

So let's look at a few lines and see how they might be condensed:

     Dark and restless, sleepless nights
     turn slowly to the respite of the dawn.

How about:

     Wide-eyed nights plead
     the dawn's respite.

You can write that above alternative in one line of formal pentameter OR in two lines of free verse. Either way, you're now down to the essentials."

 ~Limiting Adjectives, Adverbs, etc. - Al Rocheleau.

"Minimize words ending in -ly; these are usually weak adverbs. Instead, use specific nouns and verbs."

 ~Useful Manuscript Preparation - Dr. Myron, Shippensburg University.

"After verbs adverbs are the part of speech most often abused in college essays. Students, deploying an inert, noun-heavy writing style, recognize that their verbs are often pitifully weak. Thus they tack on adverbs in hopes of adding intensity or precision. But this often falls flat or even backfires.

Here are several examples of adverbs that weaken sentences because they add nothing of value:

Original:

       Socrates convincingly explains his position to Crito.

Revision:

       Socrates explains his position to Crito.

Original:

       The play carefully examines the disorder brought by civil war.

Revision:

       The play examines the disorder brought by civil war.

Original:

       Antony plays on the crowd's emotions and successfully obtains their support.

Revision:

       Antony plays on the crowd's emotions and wins their support.

Note that in the last example, getting rid of the adverb leads the writer to choose a stronger verb."

~The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing - Michael Harvey.

"When editing a manuscript, some words deserve to die - not always, but usually. (If you miss the humor of that last sentence, you won't after reading this document.)

When used as modifiers of verbs, adverbs are ambiguous. If "he quickly ran," then just how fast did he run? Adverbs do not answer to what degree or extent, despite what grammarians might say."

~Words and Phrases to Kill - Tameri Publications.

"In my early twenties, I began a love affair I still struggle with to this day to put behind me. My partners in crime? Adverbs and adjectives. These culprits lulled me into believing they actually strengthened my writing. Was I in for a rude awakening.

That day came when a critique partner pointed out that I used purple prose. Being a beginning writer, I had no idea what she was talking about. But I soon learned as I began to sneak how-to-write books home.

Weak verb/adverb example:

       Frowning angrily, she moved hurriedly towards him, saying very harshly, "You bastard."

Example rewritten:

       Scowling, she stalked towards him. "You bastard."

See the stronger verbs that replaced the weaker verb/adverb combinations?"

~Purple Prose: Adjectives and Adverbs - Karin Schroeder .

"Verbs put the muscle in strong writing. While adjectives and adverbs rapidly become cloying - and are often a hallmark of florid, overwritten prose - verbs add vigor, precision and life."

Media Writing - Nancy Edmonds Hanson, Minnesota State University.

"Circle your adverbs. Watch for unnecessary, irrelevant or extraneous adverbs (especially the ones that end in "ly"). Examine your adverbs to make sure your aren't forcing them to do the hard work of observation for you. Instead of telling us that the heroine works "tirelessly," tell us about the calluses on her hands or her heavy walk."

~Description - Monica Wood. 

"After the final draft, edit using the "find" function for the words on the following list: ["ly" adverbs] Next, read the sentence containing the offender, and either correct it or leave it be, depending. They are all valid words, if used in moderation, but are prone to misuse, overuse and abuse.

~Writer's "Cheat Sheets" - Michelle Jerott. "

"*--ly adverbs distract from the action. Eliminate the need for them with action verbs. Instead of: "She went quickly..." try: "She hurried..." or "She bolted...". An action verb creates a picture for the reader. The right action verb creates an exact picture. "Hurried" and "bolted" both imply quickness, but each creates it's own mental image."

Show and Tell - Rogenna W. Brewer.

"A descriptive action verb needs no adverb. Lazy, shiftless, sloth creatures without spines use simple verbs and then tack on an adverb to make sense - if they bother doing that. Because we are sentient beings with a brain, spinal cord, and opposing thumbs, we have the ability to seek out and find the precise verb that best describes the action.

Now let's talk about those LY adverbs. Take a common adjective and tack on an LY, you got yourself an adverb. LY adverbs waste words and are easy to come up with. Just take a simple verb, a simple modifier, tack on the LY, you got great literature, right? Any pin-headed geek can do that.

Why search for the perfect verb like "sprint," when you can just write "run swiftly"? Why think and work to come up with "castigate" when all you have to do is write "berate harshly?"

Don't take the well-traveled path, the easy trail, the freeway. Slug it out in the trenches, break trails, smash through obstacles, plow through barriers, and bowl over monoliths to accomplish the objective - to communicate in an effective manner."

Guide To Writing Good Trash - Phil Phantom [edited].

I tried to give examples from many different fields of writing, some sources well known, some obscure. Just about every decent book or article on writing has something to say about using weak adverbs rather than strong verbs. I think you get the idea by now though. This is something young writers need to learn and established writers need to remember. If your work is sprinkled with "ly" ending adverbs and adjectives, edit those puppies out and tighten your work in the rewrite. Powerful writing calls for powerful word selection. It's a good habit to get into.

But then, as a parting thought, if you're a budding J. K. Rowling and your books are selling faster than dog treats at Westminster's, you don't have to be concerned about this sort of thing, do you?

"Careful not to walk through anyone," said Ron nervously, and they set off around the edge of the dance floor. They passed a group of gloomy nuns, a ragged man wearing chains, and the Fat Friar, a cheerful Hufflepuff ghost, who was talking to a knight with an arrow sticking out of his forehead. Harry wasn't surprised to see that the Bloody Baron, a gaunt, staring Slytherin ghost covered in silver bloodstains, was being given a wide berth by the other ghosts.

"Oh, no," said Hermione, stopping abruptly. "Turn back, turn back, I don't want to talk to Moaning Myrtle -"

"Who?" said Harry as they backtracked quickly.

~ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - by J. K. Rowling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 8.6K 85
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
68.7K 1.8K 28
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
17.1K 1.4K 35
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
159K 8K 17
ABHIMANYU RATHORE is 28 years old. He belongs to Royal family. He is the oldest son in Rathore family. He is the CEO of Rathore Enterprise. He is the...