A Richer Shade of Gold

By _littleblackrose_

Kendall Emeretta's orderly world is disrupted by the arrival of Wesley Archer, a threat who grins in the face... More

A Richer Shade of Gold
ARSoG Playlist + Character Aesthetics
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXVI
XXXVII

XXXV

1.2K 48 27
By _littleblackrose_

A Richer Shade of Gold
Chapter Thirty-Five

Kendall didn't register what had occurred between Wesley and her until the following Monday, when he walked down the hallway, a grin plastered on his face and two takeaway coffee cups in hand.

This was really happening.

Strangely enough, Kendall felt lighter, like a heavy burden had been lifted off her delicate shoulders.

"Good morning,"

"Morning, good is only an opinion." was all Kendall replied with. She felt lighter, yes, but she also couldn't help feeling odd as well.

Wesley chuckled and handed her a cup. "So it's a great morning then." He nodded and took a sip of his coffee before muttering, "I'll take that."

"So if you claimed we were friends before, how come you've never brought me coffee until now?"

"If I had to get coffee for all my friends, I'd be heading to bankruptcy, even in my current financial state."

"I suppose it's nice to have you bringing me coffee."

"Just fulfilling my duties as the boyfriend."

Surprisingly, Kendall didn't pay much attention to what Wesley had labelled them, and Wesley was glad that there was a sense of normality between the two. Before long, they walked to class hand in hand, aware of the lingering gazes on their backs.

-

Kendall and her friends were sat at their seat in the courtyard as per usual when Wesley approached the table. He slid next to Kendall and smiled at the rest of the group.

Kendall lightly rested her head on his shoulder, "You don't have to abandon your swimming colleagues in my name, you know."

"I'm aware."

Kendall nodded after she regained her posture, "Just confirming."

"Besides, I'd like to think I get along with your friends...you know since we're past the scheming."

Kendall's lips curled, "Well now since I'll get to know you more, I'll have more to work with."

"Or, since we've pooled our Intel together, we'll be a force to reckon with."

"I suppose that would work. You'll have to excuse me, I'm not the most optimistic of sorts."

Wesley chuckled and Kendall felt oddly content. She turned to her friends who were discussing their annual Christmas trip away.

"I want to go somewhere warm this year!" Xavier complained. "Last year, Reykjavik was too cold! I don't even like skiing that much."

Kendall rolled her eyes, "We went to the Maldives three years ago and it sucked."

"We could go to Osaka, or maybe Jeju Island?" Sachi suggested, to which Ethan nodded enthusiastically.

"We shouldn't go to the snow, K, C'mon we were just in Quebec." Xavier said, and Kendall considered it for a moment.

"Where do you suppose we go then?"

"Suppose we go somewhere like Singapore, the weather's not too cold or hot. Everyone's happy."

"I suppose..." Kendall murmured, before turning her attention to Wesley, "What do you think?"

He nodded and grinned, "I like Singapore. When I was younger I dubbed it the London of Asia."

Kendall had to fight a smile when she turned back to Xavier. She started to ask everybody their opinions and everybody agreed. This year, they'll be having their annual trip to Singapore.

Kendall began discussing the dates and details of the trip when Olivia interrupted. "Why don't we just stay in New York this year?"

All eyes were on Olivia and Kendall furrowed her brows, however, it was Xavier who spoke first. "Liv, what do you mean? We've had our annual trip together since we were 13."

"I'm just saying...maybe we could do explore parts of New York we haven't seen before, or do the touristy shit if you fancy." When nobody responded, she continued, "I just think it'll be nice for a change."

Xavier let out a laugh, "Did you just say 'if you fancy'? I'm sorry Mary Poppins but I haven't been to Brownsville...and does that mean I want to go? Hell no!" Xavier said. "The crime rate there peaked and has like sustained itself until today."

Olivia rolled her eyes, but it was clear she was growing agitated. "Did I say Brownsville?"

"Why would you say to stay in New York?" Xavier sighed, confusion and exasperation littered through his tone.

"Okay, that's enough." Kendall was sick of the bickering amongst her two greatest friends.

"Maybe because you all need to grow up." Olivia stood up, "Money isn't everything; if you weren't all spoilt trust-fund babies maybe you'd understand." She turned and left the courtyard, disappearing into the building, leaving Kendall in a whirlwind of confusion.

The group was silent and Kendall noticed Sachi's brows furrowed and she wondered what was flying through that analytical and highly perceptive mind of hers.

"Okay, I don't know what just happened." Xavier was the first to speak.

"Maybe because you pressed her too much, Xavier." Kendall said snippily.

"K, it's tradition."

"Tradition can always be overruled. The least we could do is consider our friend's suggestion, not just shoot her down immediately." 

Kendall felt an arm, presumably Wesley's, curl around her shoulders in a comforting manner. "It's okay, we can all leave it for now and weigh up the benefits and downfalls of both options." Wesley murmured into her ear, "No use arguing about it."

Kendall, in a nod of affirmation, glanced at Xavier who, without words, also agreed with Wesley's suggestion. Xavier stood, saying he was going after Olivia when Kendall told him to sit, "She needs to cool off. Apologise tomorrow." 

"If push comes to shove, I'm perfectly fine with staying in New York." Ethan piped up.

"Well, since the topic has resurfaced, I tend to agree with Ethan." Wesley said and Sachi nodded.

"What about you, Xav?" Kendall asked, looking her best friend in the eye.

Xavier opened his mouth, but paused for a moment. "It's not as exciting..." he said, "...but I'm sure we could put our own spin on it to make it fun."

Kendall sent him a small smile, "Thanks, Xav, for making it easy."

"Even if I said otherwise, you've made up your mind, haven't you?" He raised his brows knowingly.

"Of course I have." Kendall smirked, and the atmosphere at the table returned to normal.

-

"It's snowing again." Kendall stated, watching the soft pellets of white kiss the ground through the window.

Wesley glanced up from his phone, "It's not supposed to subside until the early A.M."

Kendall sighed and drew a snowflake on the glass of the window before it rapidly dissipated, the power of the fire catching it. Before long, a pair of arms blocked her view momentarily before they loosely rested on her collarbone. Wesley placed his chin on her shoulder and she gently leant her head against his. They both watched the snow fall as the fire crackled behind them.

"It wouldn't be so bad if we stayed in New York and cuddled through the chilly weather...my only problem is my bed won't cater to all of us." Kendall felt Wesley's deep chuckle vibrate through her body, "I'd only want you with me."

A smile stretched its way across Kendall's face and she placed her hands on top of Wesley's. "I don't hate the sound of that."

"You're welcome to stay the night too. I can't be held accountable if I send you off in the snow to catch a cold."

"If it hasn't decreased in an hour or so, I'll be borrowing your warmest pair of pajama pants."

"I can't see why, personally, I think I'd make a fine heater."

Kendall turned to face Wesley who had lifted his head and she gave him half a serious expression, "No funny business, Archer."

"Me? Never."

"I don't believe you." Kendall called over her shoulder as she sat on the far side of Wesley's king-sized bed.

Wesley stalked over to her and leant over the bed, grabbing her waist and pulling her down, "Aw, come on."

"Oh my--Wesley!"

"I believe my face is quite reliable." He said after the pair had toppled over. Wesley stared down at Kendall, whose hair was half fanned out and half tucked under her shoulder.

"From where I am, it doesn't quite radiate reliability." She whispered, causing Wesley to break out a grin.

"Oh yeah?" Wesley challenged, his smirk growing by the second. Kendall nodded and Wesley placed a soft, yet playful, kiss on her neck. "What about now?" He whispered, peppering a couple more kisses down her collarbone. "Hm?"

A gasp slipped past Kendall's lips, but she didn't falter and smiled coyly. Her hands reached up and she ran them through his thick hair before slowly pulling his head down so their lips could meet, however, she only brushed her lips against his for a fleeting moment.

Wesley groaned, "You're such a tease."

Kendall brushed his lips again, lingering slightly longer, "Me? I hardly think so." Suddenly, she flipped him over and straddled him, smirking. 

"I thought you said no funny business, miss Emeretta." Wesley said, only marginally out of breath.

"And I mean it..." she said, trailing his thigh with her finger before edging the hem of his shirt up past his bellybutton, "I'm just showing you who's truly in control here."

Kendall shuffled back slowly down his body and Wesley let out a shocked, abrupt moan as his body shivered. She lowered her lips, kissing a trail up from the waistband of Wesley's jeans, and just as she surpassed halfway, she stopped, causing an unsatisfied sigh to escape Wesley's lips. Kendall traced her fingers across the top of the waistband, making Wesley let out an involuntary but sensual grunt, which she drowned out when kissed him, teasing him a little more. She loved the power he had over her, but she loved the power she had over him even more.

Her hands slowly explored his abdomen and she sighed, "I wonder if you've learnt your lesson?"

Wesley exhaled, as if in a mixture of disbelief and pleasure, "I've definitely learnt something."

Kendall's lips curled, and she peeled herself off of Wesley, "I'm going to check the firewood."

As Kendall made her way to the fireplace, she heard Wesley let out a chuckle behind her and her smirk grew.

"She'll be the death of me." She heard him murmur.

\

Hellooooo beautiful people!! Omg first off, I'm back! (Kinda?)

I'm in my last year of high school and it's so daunting; I have less than six months before I finish! I don't know if I want to throw a party or cry!!

Now as for this update that has been REALLY overdue, funnily enough, the first 600 words of this chapter were written in like 10 months (I'm not even joking), but I wrote the remaining 1100 in the last hour and a half...

Tbh I had fun writing this chapter, especially towards the end ;)))
As always, I didn't plan for it to end that way, but I think it was a nice and lighthearted way to end it!

Please let me know what you think! Comment, vote etc! Tell me if you love it/hate it/anything!!

Also this book hit like 24k reads and that is so INSANE!! I'm low-key shook, I remember how happy I was when I hit 1K and when I hit 10K I was in complete awe because I was updating slowly at that point...so thank you guys so much for the support while I'm working through my last few months of high school!

- Gabby <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.6K 1K 46
"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea what she was hiding: her mums terminal c...
369K 7.3K 49
all of his attention is on her no matter how he feels about her. He don't want to like her He don't want to want her He don't want to love her. But...
12.2K 1.5K 34
Maika; hot headed and stubborn but broken inside. Meeting Lance was the best thing that happened to her, but what happens when he's exactly like her...
296K 7.6K 66
"The Only Difference Between The Good Guys And Bad Guys Is Perspective." . . Scarlett Eve Pierce likes to think she's an average student that only ha...