Falling Slowly

Lil_Whistle által

"Take this sinking boat, and point it home. We've still got time" [Ben Cook x Original Character] Több

Cast & Such
Pt.1|Ch.1
Pt.1|Ch.2
Pt.1|Ch.3
Pt.1|Ch.4
Pt.1|Ch.5
Pt.1.|Ch.6
Pt.1|Ch.8
Pt.1|Ch.9
Pt.1|Ch.10
Pt.1|Ch.11
Pt.1|Ch.12
Pt.1|Ch.13
Pt.1|Ch.14
Pt.2|Ch.1
Pt.2|Ch.2
Pt.2|Ch.3
Pt.2|Ch.4
Pt.2|Ch.5
Pt.2|Ch.6
Pt.2|Ch.7
Pt.2|Ch.8
Pt.2|Ch.9
Pt.2|Ch.10
Pt.2|Ch.11
Pt.2|Ch.12
Pt.2|Ch.13
Pt.2|Ch.14
Pt.3|Ch.1
Pt.3|Ch.2
Pt.3|Ch.3
Pt.3|Ch.4
Pt.3|Ch.5
Pt.3|Ch.6
Pt.3|Ch.7
Pt.3|Ch.8
Pt.3|Ch.9
Pt.3|Ch.10
Pt.3|Ch.11
Pt.3|Ch.12
Pt.3|Ch.13
Pt.3|Ch.14
Pt.3|Ch.15
Pt.3|Ch.16
Pt.3|Ch.17

Pt.1|Ch.7

1.6K 33 38
Lil_Whistle által

Friday

•••••Benjamin's Perspective

"Do we have a two show-day tomorrow?" Josh asked.

I nodded. "No staying up till two a.m ."

"Aww, I wanted to watch 'Julie and Julia' again tonight." Sky mumbled, glaring down at his smoothie.

Josh narrowed his eyes. "Wait, is that Aiden's smoothie?"

Sky looked up at him, slowly bringing the straw closer to his lips.

"Did you steal it from her?" I asked, taking a step towards him.

He took a step back, blinked, and took a small sip.

"She's gonna kill you." Josh warned.

Sky's expression deepened into a scowl as he continued to angrily sip the smoothie.

"He's dead meat." Josh said, ending the conversation and turning to me. "You're going tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah." I replied with a nod.

"You'd better get going." He showed me his phone, which was displaying the time.

"Okay." I grabbed my jacket off the couch and slipped it on. "You're coming too, aren't you?" I asked, noticing he hadn't moved.

"I'm gonna hitch a ride with Sky." He answered with a smile. "We'll see you there."

I shrugged. "See you." I slid my phone into my jacket pocket and headed outside, stopping my the door to tie my shoes.

The drive to the cinema wasn't too lengthy of a ride, but it was long enough for me to listen from 'Work Song' to 'I Dreamed a Dream' before I pulled into the parking lot.

I gladly stepped inside the theater and enjoyed the warm air conditioning as I scanned the lobby for my friends' faces.

For a minute, it looked like I was the only one there, until I spotted a familiar head of chestnut curls in the back left corner.

I crossed the room to where she stood, lightly nudging her shoulder. "Hey."

Austyn jumped and swatted my arm. "You keep sneaking up on me!"

I took a step back, laughing. "Sorry."

"No, you're not." She rolled her eyes, but there was a faint smile on her lips. "I honestly didn't think anyone else was gonna show up."

I tilted my head. "I thought everyone was coming."

She pulled her phone out. "Have you not been following the chat?"

I looked down at the message thread she'd opened.

Group:

(Sky changed Josh's name to Joshy)
(Sky changed Ben's name to Benji)

-Joshy:
«Game on sucker»

(Joshy changed Sky's name to Skybelle)

-Skybelle:
«Curse you»

I looked back up at her. "What does this have to do with anything?"

"Not that, stupid. Scroll down."

I dragged my finger across the screen, scrolling down to the most recent conversation.

-Joshy:
«I am suddenly not feeling that great, so I think I'm gonna have to skip out on the movie tonight»

-Aiden:
«Me too. I have a date»

-Skybelle:
«Which means that I'm out as well»

-Joshy:
«Definitely still go if you're free though»

"Huh." I pulled my phone out and opened up a direct thread.

Josh

«What do you mean you're not feeling good?»

«I mean I'm not feeling good like I feel sick»

«What kind of sick? Do I need to come home?»

«Relax, Benji. I'll be fine. Just go to the movies.»
«I think Austyn is still going»

«Fine but call me if you need anything»

«Yes mo

"I guess it's just you and me." I shrugged and slipped my phone into my pocket.

"I guess so. I don't even know what we're seeing."

"Let's check what's playing tonight." I said, looking up at the screen that displayed shows and times.

She took my side. "It just looks like a bunch of horror films."

"It does." I agreed, wrinkling my nose as I read all the morbid titles. "Never really liked movies like that."

"Neither did I, and Aiden is the only other one who'd enjoy it. Is there anything else playing?"

I shook my head. "Doesn't look like it."

"Bummer." She said, a subtle hint of genuine disappointment in her voice. "I was kind of looking forward to doing something tonight."

"We can still do something." I suggested.

She looked up at me with inquisitive green eyes. "Like what?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, we could wing it?"

She raised her eyebrows. "Wing it? You mean, just walk around and have no idea where we're going?"

"Exactly. You've never done that before?"

She shook her head. "I don't get out much, remember?"

"Oh, right. Well then," I offered her my arm. "Allow me to be your guide."

She rolled her eyes and slipped her arm through the crook of my elbow.

We exited the cinema and took a left turn, beginning our trip through the downtown streets.

"What was that news you just had to tell me?" She asked.

"Oh, yeah. You have an audition opportunity next week."

"That's all?"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, please. I know you're freaking out internally."

"Well, yeah, but I have to pretend that I'm not so you can't make fun of me."

"Right." I offered a small grin. "I'm sorry you're stuck with me for company, by the way."

"Don't be." She smiled. "You're good company. And, to be honest, I'm alright with not being around...everyone else...for a night." She suddenly closed up, looking down at her feet as they lightly tapped on the stone sidewalk. "I know that sounds awful, I'm sorry."

"No," I quickly assured her. "I understand. There are a lot of us, I see how that could get overwhelming."

"Yeah." She murmured, a strange look in her eyes.

It was a look I'd seen before, the same one that appeared when Sky was present.

"Austyn, can I ask you something?" I carefully approached the subject.

She met my gaze. "Yes?"

"Is there something wrong with Sky?"

"What do you mean?" She asked, clearly knowing exactly what I meant.

"You seem uncomfortable around him. Did something happen?"

"Not exactly,"

"Did he do something?" An unexpected anger pricked at the back of my mind.

"Ben—"

"Did he hurt you?" I demanded, but keeping at a quiet level to avoid attention from passersby.

She shook her head, her hand tightening on my arm. "No, he didn't do anything. It's just...complicated."

"Does he know?" I asked softly, willing the chill air to cool my temper.

"No." She lowered her eyes again.

"You should talk to him."

Again she shook her head, faster this time. "I don't think I'm brave enough."

"I think you could be brave enough. You shouldn't be afraid of him."

"I overthink everything. That's how I graduated high school a year early." She said, ending the conversation.

"How's college going?" I decided to play along for her sake.

"Pretty good. I have an essay topic to figure out, but other than that, it's going pretty good."

"What's the essay supposed to be over?"

I noticed with satisfaction that the tension left her, as if talking about school eased her mind. "A historical event. Do you have any suggestions?"

"Newsies." I stated.

She laughed. "You're obsessed!"

"As everyone should be!" I defended myself. "And it is a historical event."

"Yes, yes, I know, the Newsboy Strike of 1899."

"See? Do your essay over that."

She smiled. "Maybe I should."

We turned the corner, entering into an area that I hadn't ever seen before.

"Is this what you meant by 'winging it'?" Austyn asked, nearly breathless.

I looked down to find her completely enraptured by the scene before her, her green eyes wide.

I can't say I blamed her.

The buildings were about thirteen or fourteen feet apart, with a cobblestone walkway filling that gap.

Lining the walkway were trees, with string-lights wrapped around every branch and trunk.

Lightbulbs were strung from building to building, all the yellow light adding to the pale luminescence of the moon.

It was definitely a cultured section of the downtown area, the shops brightly colored and selling the most peculiar of items.

Antiques, ceramics, lamps, and there was even a small bookstore.

But Austyn saw something else.

"Look there." She pointed to what had to have been the smallest shop on the street.

It's storefront was painted a kind of lovat green, and had a sign, hung by hinges, from above the door.

The sign read, 'Music'.

Intrigued, I allowed Austyn to lead me inside.

She let go of my arm the moment we stepped through the door, and was wandering among the shelves and tables before I could blink twice.

It was a sheet music store.

Music books lined every shelf. Some were for piano, some for voice, violin, cello, trumpet, organ, and any other instrument you could think of.

"Is she a pianist?" An older, wheezy voice came from behind me.

I turned around. There was a counter in the corner of the shop just left of the door.

A man stood behind it, his hair thin and gray, with spectacles that sat on the tip of his nose and made his eyes look big and watery.

He gestured to Austyn and repeated the question. "Is your girl there a pianist?"

I took a few steps forward so that I wouldn't be talking to him from across the room. "Yeah, she is."

He nodded. "I thought she was. What's your name, son?"

"Ben."

"My name's Terris." He said. "You're a dancer, aren't you?"

I nodded. "How'd you know?"

Terris shrugged. "You learn how to spot 'em after a few years of practice. Your girl's fingers, they're long and steady. I figured she's either a pianist or a worker with the needle and thread. Either she plays or she sews, I mean. And judging by the way she's looking at that music," he gave a small nod in her direction, where she stood flipping through a thick book of sheet music. "I says I'm gonna guess she plays. As for you," he shook his head. "Never knew how I could tell dancers, no. Just had a feeling. Either one of you sing?"

I nodded. "We both do. She's a lot better than I am, but—"

"I'm gonna stop you right there." Terris said, setting his hand firmly atop the counter. "Comparing yourself ain't gonna get you nowhere. If you spend too much time looking at what she's got, you'll never have enough time to figure out what you've got." He reached out and poked my chest with a thin, bony finger. "And, by the way," he lowered his voice, "confidence is the first thing you need to get if you're gonna get the girl." He again gestured to Austyn.

My cheeks instantly grew hot. "Oh, I didn't say anything about getting a girl,"

He raised an eyebrow. "You mean to tell me that she's not yours?"

I shook my head rapidly. "No, no."

He threw his head back, letting out a short and loud laugh. "Well get on it, son, before someone else does!"

"Sir, I think you're reading too much into this—"

"Nonsense." He cut me off again. "I know a lovesick boy when I see one, even if he don't see it in himself yet."

I shoved my hands into my pockets. "You're mistaken, Mr. Terris."

"Mistaken? For the first time in my life?" He laughed again, shaking his head. "I find that hard to believe."

•••••

"That was incredible." Austyn gushed as we neared the cinema again.

"I haven't ever even seen that street before."

"Well, it was an experience that I'll remember for the rest of my life, thank you very much." She nudged me, causing me to stumble a bit.

I rolled my eyes and shoved her aside in return. "I'm glad you liked it."

"I really did." She smiled. "What were you and the owner talking about?"

"The owner? Of the music shop?"

She nodded. "Yes, him."

I recalled the conversation I'd had only moments prior, and decided not to share all of it. "Oh, nothing really. He was just telling me he guessed that you're a piano player."

"He guessed that?"

"Yeah, he said your fingers were long enough to either play the piano or sew. And you were freaking out about the music in there, so it was a pretty easy guess."

She laughed. "He's funny. Did he guess if you were a dancer?"

"Yeah. He also asked if either one of us sang. I said we both do, but that you're better than I am."

"No, I'm not." She shook her head. "We just have different voices."

I shrugged. "I guess you're right. How's the ranting going, by the way?"

She let out a dramatic sigh. "I don't even know anymore."

"Do you need to talk?" I asked, unable to stifle a laugh.

"No, I can't even explain myself to myself."

I gave her a mock pout. "That sounds very confusing."

"It's horribly confusing, and I most certainly do not appreciate the sarcasm." She crossed her arms.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry."

She looked up at me. "No, you're not."

"I know, but let's pretend I am for a few minutes."

"Keep lying to yourself." She said as we approached the cinema again.

"Here you are," I made a grand, sweeping gesture with my arm towards the parking lot. "And before ten o'clock, I might add."

She checked her watch and laughed. "Nine-thirty."

"I trust you had a good time? Even though it was one-on-one?"

She nodded. "And not despite it being one-on-one."

"I'm glad I didn't scare you off." I ventured, wondering how close I was getting to confirming Terris' suspicions.

She smiled softly. "Never. And," she chose her words carefully, inadvertently making the process excruciatingly slow. "I wouldn't mind doing something like this again, if you know any other places to go?"

"Plenty." I answered, ignoring the shade of pink that my ears must've been turning. "If you have another night to go out?"

She nodded. "I'm sure I can find one."

"Let me know when."

She smiled and, nodding once more, stepped away from me and into the parking lot.

I watched her go, wondering if Terris may have been a little right after all.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

57.1K 1.1K 17
**COMPLETE** "I didn't catch your name." "I didn't seem to drop it." Spot Conlon's rebelliou...
29.8K 853 27
-𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝑎 𝑟𝑖𝑐𝑘𝑦 𝑏𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑛 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑑 𝑏𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑗𝑢𝑙𝑖𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒 𝑑𝑢𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑚𝑝 𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑠 𝐬...
5.6K 219 38
Ineffable (adj.) Too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words. Dylan Potter and Ben Cook could not stand each other from the moment the...
761 5 7
Elisabeth didn't have a good home life. Until she met him. Jeremy. After he adopted her, she got the chance of a lifetime: Starring in a Broadway Nat...