The Admirer: The Doll Collect...

By AJSilis

Six months have passed since Maria disappeared, and without her bloody mannequin to convince everyone she's d... More

Chapter 1: The Admirer
Chapter 2: Kristopher
Chapter 3: Kristopher
Chapter 4: The Admirer
Chapter 5: Detective DeWitt
Chapter 6: Kristopher
Chapter 7: Kristopher
Chapter 8: Kristopher
Chapter 9: Maria
Chapter 10: Kristopher
Chapter 11: Kristopher
Chapter 12: Maria
Chapter 13: Kristopher
Chapter 14: Maria
Chapter 15: Kristopher
Chapter 16: Maria
Chapter 17: Kristopher
Author's Note
Chapter 19: Kristopher
Chapter 20: Maria
Chapter 21: Kristopher
Chapter 22: Kristopher
Chapter 23: Maria
Chapter 24: Kristopher
Chapter 25: Kristopher
Thank You | Sequel Information
The Psychiatrist - Trilogy to the Doll Collector
The Admirer Has been Plagiarized!

Chapter 18: Maria

7.5K 538 323
By AJSilis

It filled me with relief that Kris was gone. My family issues were not for his ears. Yes, we were in a strange position where it seemed that he was going to be part of my life now, but he did not have to know anything of what went on with my family. If anyone would understand a damaged family life, it would be him, and yet, my I felt that my vulnerabilities were not safe with him.

For years, I tried my hardest to suppress that part of my life, and now it was resurfacing with a vengeance.

With Kris' departure came Jared's as well. His excuse was something along the lines of having to run errands, but I didn't quite listen. I just wanted him out of my house.

My argument with him had drained me of all energy, so I settled down in my bedroom after taking a round of painkillers.  As I lied down, my mom brought in the breakfast that Kris had made me. She'd nuked it for a minute since their arrival had prevented me from enjoying it.

She took a seat beside me and took my hand in hers.

I could see the curiosity in her eyes, that she wanted to know what had happened in those 6 months that I'd been locked up in the doll room.

If only she knew, that the man who brought me home was the one that stole me away, or that he was walking in and out of this apartment at his leisure.

"That Detective Marner is very attractive." she said.

Ah yes, I was 27 years old, unmarried and without kids. Jared's atomic bomb had certainly reminded her that she didn't have grandchildren from me.

"He's nice." I replied.

"Is he single?"

"Um, I'm not sure. I haven't asked." I shrugged.

"Well, maybe you should."

I couldn't help but laugh and promised to do some digging. She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, asking me to rest up. Tonight, we would all be having dinner at their house with Kris. Lovely.

My parents spent the day with me, assisting me in getting around to places and helping me meal prep for the rest of the week, so I only had to heat things up. I'd pushed the prospect of seeing Jared again, far from my mind. I wanted nothing more than to put Jared on the floor. I was too angry, and the only way we settled things as sibling was making someone tap out.

My mom seemed to finally understand that I was angry, and for that, she made absolute sure that I got ready and actually went back to their house. Apparently I was a flight risk.

She drove us to my childhood home and the memories of Jordan flooded me with a vengeance, but somehow I felt okay. It was like he was here with me for the first time.

I took in a deep breath, and walked into the living room. My dad was relaxing on the sofa with the remote in hand, while the pain in the ass that was my older brother, was sitting on the adjacent sofa.

He met my eyes, but didn't say a word. He knew... he knew this was going to end in the ceremonial ring.

I kissed my dad on the cheek, and began to follow my mom to the kitchen when something caught my ear. I turned around, spotting news broadcast covering my disappearance and reappearance. My dad sat up and flipped the channel, but I quickly asked him to turn back and raise the volume.

"Maria Gonzalez, a 27-year-old PhD student at the University of Southern California disappeared in late June. It was determined that her disappearance was attributed to The Doll Collector. After her abduction, The Doll Collector fell dormant, and no other disappearances were linked to him. Maria was found alive, in an abandoned cabin believed to belong to The Doll Collector. After an interview with the FBI, a sketch has been released of the identify of the most notorious serial killer to date. He is described as being in his early to mid twenties, about 5'7 with dark hair and brown eyes. We are urging everyone and anyone, that may have details regarding his whereabouts, to contact the LAPD and ask for Agent Elaine Backstrom."

The sketch of the so called Doll Collector popped up on the screen, along with Backstrom's contact information.

My blood ran cold through my veins.

"That bitch." I quietly said.

"Language, young lady." my dad reprimanded.

Well, he's not gonna like what he's about to hear.

Someone touched my arm causing me to flinch. I grabbed my rib, taking in a deep breath to steady the pain. I turned finding Kris standing in my living room. When the hell did he get here?

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"No, that trifling bitch."

"Jordana Maria!" my dad yelled.

Kris pulled me aside into a dark hallway. Perfect setting.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"That's not the sketch that I gave. It's not him, Backstrom changed it." I said.

"What do you mean she changed it?"

"Kris, work with me here. She changed the sketch. The description I gave is not the one that is going out to the media. She changed what the final sketch was. I saw it and it was the spitting image of the guy who did this to my face."

"Who was it?"

"It was your neighbor kid, that Taylor, whatever his last name is. When he came in, he introduced himself. He told me that he admired your work ethic, and that he hated the fact that I had entered your life, because I had muted the killer inside of you. He resented your subdued behavior and attributed it to you having feelings for me. He blamed me for what would surely be your downfall. When I asked him why he had told me his name, he said that I wouldn't live to tell anyone. He is The Admirer, and that's how he's been stalking you. He's been living next door this whole time. Kris, he can hurt you. You have to be careful."

Kris shook his head. "The kid isn't going to do shit."

I glared at him, completely appalled that he was still underestimating Taylor. He had already killed one woman, severely injured another, and beaten the hell out of me. He had broken into Kris' house, knowing that he was not only an officer, but a serial killer. He was not afraid of Kris, he was just like him.

"Kristopher, he did this to my face. He tried to kill me, trying to protect you. But now he's surely angry. You refused to kill me, and that is going to ruin the image he has of you. He sees me as a threat, and he will come for me. Backstrom changed that sketch for whatever reason and you have to figure out why."

Kris glanced over my shoulder and rubbed his eyes. 

"Are you positive that she changed the sketch?" he asked.

"I have never been more positive about anything in my life. That is not who attacked me. Taylor attacked me and that is not Taylor on the TV."

Kris nodded, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"I will get to the bottom of this. You know I want nothing more than to sink Backstrom and I will. But you have to be careful. He can be out and about unnoticed. I will speak to Lieutenant Carter, and will request that a protective detail be placed on you and your family." he assured.

"I trust you." I said.

Kris' cell phone suddenly rang in his pocket. He rolled his eyes and sighed, sliding it out.

"Hello?" he answered, in a voice much deeper than before.

A sound croaked from his throat and even in the dark conditions I could tell that his face was paling.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

There was a hurried tone emanating from his cell phone.

"Yes sir. I'll be right down."

He glanced back down at me, tucking his phone into his jacket pocket.

"They found Barbara's body." he told me.

Oh no. Taylor.

"I thought you buried her." I whispered.

"I did. No one other than myself knew where she was." he replied.

"Kris, he's playing with you. He's trying to psych you out. Don't let him get to you."

"I'm not."

But  I could tell that his heart had already settled into his throat. He was scared, and he had every reason to be.

"Kristopher, listen to me. He's playing mind games with you. He's getting close, but remaining anonymous. He's doing this so that you start to freak out and expose yourself."

"How do you know this?" he asked.

This guy.

"Hello!" I harshly whispered. "The only reason Maria Gonzalez Ph.D isn't a thing, is because someone took me 6 months ago. Believe me, I know how people think and I know how you think. Keep your mind strong, and don't let him get to you. He wants you to break."

At the back of my mind, I knew that I shouldn't be getting involved. If Kris got caught, he deserved it. He was a serial killer after all, and yes he spared me, but that didn't change anything.

Yet despite all of these facts, that I knew very well, I didn't want him to get in trouble. He was a broken man, from a broken childhood, and I wanted to protect him. He was still vulnerable and victim to everything that had happened to him. I wasn't going to let some punk kid mess with his mental state.

"I have to go down to the station. I will send a police detail to your parents' house. Stay here tonight and don't open the door to anyone that isn't me." he said.

"Yeah, God forbid I let a serial killer into the house."

He shot me a look, but he knew damn well it was true. Kris softened his eyes and reentered the living room. My dad was already looking at him with a concerned expression.

"I've been called back to the station. A crime scene has been discovered. I'm sorry for missing dinner, but I look forward to trying this again later. I will be sending a couple of officers here to protect the house. It's my advice that none of you leave the house tonight. Shut all windows and doors, and make sure that everything is locked tightly. Under no circumstances, should you open the door, unless it's me or Detective Adrian DeWitt on the other side."

I hadn't noticed my mom standing at the entrance of the kitchen. Her hand was placed to her chest, which was her signature frightened look.

"Are we in danger? Is Jordana in danger?" her tone had heightened at this point.

"Not if I have something to say about it."

My god, just leave already Kris. He thanked my parents for the invitation, and told me he'd be checking in with me every so often. I shut the door behind him and turned to face my parents.

"What's happening?" Jared asked.

"They uh, they found a body of one of the missing girls. It's the first time that an actual body has been found, so he has to go. But we'll be fine. Kris is just taking precautions."

"Kris? You're on a first name basis?" Jared asked, accusingly.

"He did save my life and saw me at my worst. I don't think we have to be on such formal terms. And why are you even talking to me?" I snapped.

Jared rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Son, go make sure everything is locked. Jordana, grab the shotguns from the closet and place them on the coffee table." my dad ordered.

My dad loved to hunt, and he made sure I knew how to load, unload, and handle a gun. I hated when he pulled them out because he would yell at me for not doing things exactly how he said. But in this instance, there was nothing I could do but listen. Jared found me in the hallway and cornered me against the closet door.

"Look, I know that you don't want to talk to me and that's fine, but I'm still your older brother and I'm here to look out for you." he said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"I don't get a good vibe from that detective. There's something odd about him."

I tried my best to keep my composure.

"Jared, really? He's a cop, he's as safe as safe gets." I told him.

"It's just a feeling, okay? I feel like he's trying to take advantage of you."

I laughed, shaking my head.

"He's looking out for me. I'm a survivor from a serial killer that has done terrible things to other women."

"Look, I'm a guy, so I know what he's doing. He sees a vulnerable girl and he's taking advantage of that."

"Yeah, well at least he's not bailing out when he sees weakness in a woman. He's not leaving her in her time of need. You don't have to take care of me. I survived a serial killer. I'll survive a guy who may just want to bed me. I don't need you take care of me. You never have."

I pushed past him into the living room to give my dad his guns.

SURPRISE I'M BACK!

I had some time to post today, but I will not be posting this Friday. 

The next update will be on May 25th as was intended!

I take my last final of my college career tomorrow, and I have a final presentation on Friday so my trials are almost over haha.

Cannot wait to graduate, the countdown continues!

How has everyone been??

I've missed you all so so so much. I hope you've all been well. Update me on your lives! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 460 27
Follow Rea, a young boy whose face was as gorgeous as a doll. His whole being captivated a doll maker named Taurent Brialle and brought him in to liv...
2.7K 100 14
After the freshly caught blood-bag got a haircut and tattoes etched into his back he was sent off to his personal little cage. Soon joined by a feral...
210K 7.3K 20
1. Don't answer the phone. 2. Lock your doors at night. 3. Don't trust anyone. These are your standard movie horror pointers. But with a sequel com...
2.9K 455 12
Surviving in juvenile prison? Tough. Surviving in juvenile prison with the added bonus of seeing ghosts? Tougher. Bailey has a sixth sense, a crimina...