Just do it √

Autorstwa Cephasqueen

Born into poverty, hatred, hustle and neglect, Aramide was forced to become matured at such a tender age. She... Więcej

One
Two
Challenge.
Three
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
SORRY
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty_Five
Twenty-six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Epilogue
Familiar Foe

Four

2.8K 442 38
Autorstwa Cephasqueen

The classrooms were really nice compared to what they had at my former school. The white board was written on with a pen and wiped with a sophisticated box. At my former school we made dusters out of old clothes or wiped the board with independent leaves.

There had air conditioners and I finally saw the need for the coat which was a part of the uniform. I and Abike's seat was somewhere in the middle of the class while Henrietta's was at the front. No one would have noticed there was a new person in class if Hen didn't make her way to my seat every two minutes.

We were to be taught psychology that morning. The teacher walked in, a man in his mid thirties.

'Hello Young Minds!' He hailed, announcing his presence.
'Good morning sir'. The class chorused.
'Getting comfortable in senior secondary, huh?'
'Yes sir!'
'Good. Glad to be your first teacher. We'll begin the session with a topic I particularly love'.

He turned and wrote SELF ESTEEM on the board.
He appeared to love his job and carried the whole class along  making illustrations as he taught. He asked someone a question, some moments had passed and the student was yet to give a response.

'Marcel?' He said calmly. I followed his eyes to the back of the room and the entire class seemed to do same. It was the boy that bumped into me the previous day.
'Yes sir?' He said with a relaxed expression but I could tell he hadn't been concentrating in class.

'Can you share with us some factors you think impair people's esteem?' He looked at the board then stood up confidently.
'Background, peer group influence, appearance and upbringing'.
'Upbringing in what sense?' The teacher pressed further.
'If a child grows up in an environment where he is constantly told that he is worthless, ugly and useless, he will eventually come to believe it. I guess that reduces self-esteem'.

'Thank you, Marcel'. Mr Dominic sat. Marcel sat down and our eyes met, he looked unfazed initially but looked away after some seconds.

Immediately the bell went indicating the snack break, Marcel dashed out of the class followed closely by Henrietta. I saw him drag her down the hall. Abike didn't tell me they were friendly. I still felt bad for making reference to his mom earlier, though he seemed unaffected it didn't do much to help my conscience.

I rushed to the principal's office to complete my clearance but the door was locked so I headed for the canteen. I walked in and Marcel's group was the first one I noticed because they were the loudest in the room. I scrutinized the place searching for Abike but a hand waving furiously got my attention, it was Henrietta. I walked over to them, Hen showed me where to get my snack but I was in no mood for it.

She was looking over at where Marcel was seated and I initially thought she was looking at him but she was looking at the guy next to him. He was well built like Marcel, light skinned and his hair was brown at the tips. I had seen him in class too.

'Who is he?' I asked making her face me.
'Who is who?' She asked.
'The guy you are staring at'.
'That should be Christopher Lawal. Hen has had a crush on him since class one'. Abike said without even lifting her eyes from her plate. Henrietta blushed and my eyes flew back to that table when I heard a scream and glass shattering.

'Are you blind?' marcel growled at the kid before him who was visibly shaking.
'I'm so sorry'. The kid said and tried to wipe Marcel's shirt where he had spilled yoghurt.
'Get your epileptic hand off me. You should fix your contacts properly first'. He said and our eyes met. Something like I dare say, guilt flashed through his eyes before he got up and walked out of the canteen with his friends.

That night, Abike sat across from me at the reading table in our room. Henrietta wasn't in yet.

'Abike?' I said gently. She slowly lifted her eyes from the novel she was reading to look at me.
'The guy I bumped into yesterday, Marcel, can you tell me more about him?' I said, keeping my voice low.
'Yeah, sure. He is just one big jerk, so full of himself, bullies students, even the teachers are silently scared of him'. She said flatly.

'That bad?' I asked.
'Yes'. She said in a firm tone. She didn't seem to like him at all so I didn't press further.
'I'm here!' Henrietta said as she threw the door open. Her voice piercing the silence of the room like a sword.

'Who missed me?' She asked.
'Just the inanimate objects I guess because all the living things in this room dread your noise'. Abike said and Hen sneered.

'I know barbie missed me'. She said throwing both her hands over my shoulders. 'You want to share my bed again?' Abike's wide eyes were a mirror of mine. My mind was screaming 'hell, no!' I tried to maintain a straight face and turned to face her.

'Thanks Hen but I have to learn to sleep on my own right? I don't want to be too dependent'. I faked a smile. She bought it and left to shower. I turned to see Abike choking on her laughter.
'You learnt your lesson already'. She laughed.
'I sure did. That girl doesn't change a bit even in her sleep, my entire body aches'.

*

We were at the field for physical education class. The teacher said it was easier for it to be demonstrated that way and we would have all our classes in the field. Since it was our first class, he asked us to take five laps round the tracks. I was going to love this subject but clearly Abike wasn't. Her face immediately lit up when the instructor said we could stop after the first lap, he just needed to know who would be the last on the tracks.

He blew the whistle and everyone fell into pace, I began jogging. Most of the girls chickened out after the first lap including Abike and Henrietta. As we began the third lap, there were no more than five students still running and among them was Marcel.

He saw me from the side of his eyes and increased his pace until he got to the finish line. I almost laughed at his attempt at foolishness, he was out of breathe when he completed the lap and I jogged to his side. His eyes widened the moment he saw me.

'What the... ' He caught himself before he completed the statement.
'What? Not used to being challenged? I asked.
'More like not used to being stalked'. That made me laugh.
'What makes you think I'm stalking you?' I asked.
'I see your brown eyes staring hard at me in almost every room I enter. Why haven't you given up the race yet?'
'My strength hasn't failed me and we are allowed a maximum of five laps'.

'Why have you been staring?' He tried to sound carefree but I could tell it bothered him so I decided to tease him a bit.
'I know all your secrets'. He tripped on his own foot and landed on his butt. Guilty!
I jogged to the finish line. The instructor was impressed that I could defeat alpha Marcel.

'What did you say to Marcel that got him on his butt?' Abike asked the second we got into the changing room.
'Nothing. I think he tripped on himself'.
'What were you two discussing?'
'He was just being proud'. I said and hurried out of there before she had the chance to bombard me with any more questions.
'Wait. Where are you going?'
'To the principal's office for some clearance. I'll meet you in class'. I said and ran off before she could say a word.

Luckily for me the principal was in her office this time. Henrietta didn't lie about her, I could hardly understand a word she spoke. By the time I finished my clearance, I was about five minutes late for my mathematics class. I ran to the class but the teacher was already in.

'Why are you late? Get out!' She said like it was something she said all the time.
'I was at the principal's.. ' I tried explaining but she cut me off.
'Can't you see I don't bloody care?' She was really pissed.
'Please ma'am'. I pleaded and she looked like she was about to cave.

'You are new'. She looked quite interested.
'Yes ma'am'.
'Okay, I'll give you a chance to prove yourself worthy of this school'.
She wrote a problem on the board and handed me the pen.
'Solve it'. I looked at the board and my eyes instinctively fell to the floor. It was not something I could even attempt.

She retrieved the pen from me with a wicked grin on her face.
'What is your name?'
'Amanda'.
'Well Amanda. You shouldn't be missing any bit of classes considering how dumb you are'. My stomach curled.

'Go to your seat'. She sounded victorious. I slid into my seat and she didn't look in my direction for the rest of the period.
'Mandy'. Abike said while touching my arm immediately the teacher left the class. 'You don't have to be so sad. Miss Nancy does that to everyone'. I looked at her worried face and tried to smile.

'It's not about Nancy. I just want to be quiet'. I said.
'Really? Who just decides to be quiet?' She gave me that weird look which made me smile genuinely.
'I do'.

After a month, it was pretty obvious I wasn't meant to be in such a great school. Teachers kept complaining about my academic backwardness but in a nicer way than Miss Nancy. Some of them, nicer than necessary.

Students gave me sympathetic looks and there were always giggles when I walked through the halls. I tried my best to study, Abike and Henrietta helped me any way they could but nothing changed. Mr Dominic made me visit his office regularly for counseling but kept on saying I wasn't ready to open up to him. I didn't want to talk to anyone I just wanted to go back home but we didn't have breaks, we were only allowed to go home when the term was over.

I was back to my old self, students made fun of me but the only difference was that the authority didn't hate me, they just didn't care.

Most of the kids at this school were from high profiled families; families of ministers, commissioners, well-known doctors, lawyers, royalties(though I thought that was no longer relevant in the 21st century) even the governor's kids schooled here.

They were all just a herd of spoilt brats and everyone seemed to have an ego bigger than they could handle but there still was a societal hierarchy and from what I belonged on the spot just before the bottom.

The last position was meant for students whose parents earned not so much money that subtracting the fees, they would be able to afford just a meal a day. Most of them were on scholarships.

I honestly did not know how it happened but soon enough, I was in a hall writing my first examinations in the school. It's not like I wrote anything, I just kept praying for the exams to be over so I could go home.

Much to my advantage, our results were emailed to our guardians so I didn't have to worry about facing my mom with a bad result but it wouldn't have mattered because on departure day, my mom wasn't there to pick me up.

'Nneka has been  busy with work lately'. Abike's mom said. 'She'll pick you up from our house later'.
'I've missed you so much my little melon'. She said as she hugged Abike. 'You've lost some weight'. She said giving her a one over. 'We will have to get you back in shape'.
'You mean get me back out of shape'. Abike said
'Don't start with me, young woman. Get into the car'. I had a feeling they'd be arguing over Abike's weight throughout their lives.

After I settled into Abike's room, I used her phone to call my mom. She picked on the first ring.

'Hello?' She said
'Hey mom. It's me A.. '
'Amanda! How are you my angel?'
'I'm fine mom'. Her giddiness made me smile.
'My dear, I'm so sorry I couldn't come get you from school. My work load keeps increasing'.
'It's alright, I understand'.

'Thank you. I still have one favor to ask though'. My silence hinted her to go on. 'Would you please stay at Mrs Dapo's place for a week? I'm running the night shift to cover up for a friend who is out of town. Please dear, I know it's asking a lot but it's just for the week'.

'It's okay. I'd probably be bored out of my mind at home but you have to drop by and see me'.
'First thing on my way to work tomorrow'.
'Promise?'
'Promise. I love you. Now be a good girl for Mrs Dapo'. I smiled. I hadn't really gotten around to telling her I loved her too and it didn't bother her anymore. She said I had problems with expressing my feelings.

'I will. Bye!' I pressed the end button and handed the phone to Abike who was looking at me like a mummy throughout the duration of the call.
'So?' She asked
'I'll be staying for the week. They discussed it already I guess'.
'Yes!' She bounced on the bed.
'Why the excitement? You've seen me every minute of everyday for the past three months'.

'I haven't tire of seeing your face. Are you tired of seeing mine?' She said like a six year old.
'Frankly, yes. It's too dark and scary'. I teased.
'Liar, you love this face'. She said shoving her face into mine.
'Hey stop that! You're acting like Henrietta'.
'Ewe. That pest'.
'Just like you. You're going to miss her'.
'Honestly, I already do'. We both laughed.

Staying at Abike's was really cool. I spoke to my mom everyday on phone and everyday she promised to visit but never showed up. It wasn't surprising when she told me I would have to spend the rest of my holidays with Mrs Dapo. I noticed that she always sounded overly cheerful when we spoke but when I asked what was wrong, she always dodged the question with her dry jokes.

After the first week Mrs Dapo got us a tutor. I knew she was doing it for me because Abike said she never had tutors. I was grateful to her but the tutor didn't help me in any way, he always got angry and rained insults on me. I tried to convince her against it but when she could no longer take it, Abike reported to her mother and that left us without a tutor for the rest of the holidays.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys... Thanks for a hundred reads, really appreciate it. This is the longest I've written so expect an update in the next one month, just kidding.
Comment, vote, pm me!!
This chapter is dedicated to Zwriter087 ..Thanks!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

323K 18.8K 37
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and for these two, their lives have been planned down to a science. For Wylan Olson, being...
44.7K 12.1K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...
4.3K 569 30
Sixteen-year-old Aisha Akorede, daughter of a religious Imam, gets into an incident that changes her life forever. Her family, honour, and even her f...
21.9K 905 9
↪Winner Of Ankara Community Awards. ➳ sporadic updates | ➵ ➳ ➸ | ❝pray tell, young lass, wh...