Virago | 2018 Wattys Shortlis...

By dzangiewrites

Esther Abbey has never been brave and has never needed to; until she's faced with an ultimatum: take a stand... More

foreword: synopsis + author note
aesthetics
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six: part one
six: part two
six: part three
six: part four
eight
nine

seven

434 29 6
By dzangiewrites

S E V E N

Yraqia,
2021

★ ★ ★

ESTHER 3:6

Instead, Haman looked for a way to destroy all Mordecai's people, the Jews, throughout the whole kingdom

★ ★ ★

The sun had just set over the Middle Eastern desert, leaving behind a dark, dusty sky studded with tiny, bright stars. It was a gorgeous and majestic backdrop to the family evening Queen Nura was having with her new wife, Hadassah Sarfati, her guardian, Mordecai Sarfati and her mentor and best friend, Memukan Pariah.

They'd had dinner around the table, platters upon platters of specially cooked meats and delicacies washed down with sweet wine. Hadassah had made a point of teasing her wife of her sinfulness and Nura could only roll her eyes at her but was unsuccessful in hiding the smile on her face. She was endeared to her young wife in every sense of the word possible.

Six months had passed since their royal and spectacular wedding and they were still very much in their honeymoon phase - in fact, it seemed as though things grew sweeter with each passing day. Nura found new things about her wife that she loved, little quirks and mannerisms that were otherwise insignificant to anyone else.

She looked forward to evenings like this, where she could spend time with the people who were most closest to her. It kept her grounded amidst the chaos of trying to move an entire nation forward.

The twins had just finished their custard doughnuts when their nanny came into the dining dining hall to take them to bed.

"Okay Munchkins, it's time for bed," Nura said.

Malak turned in her seat and frowned at her nanny. She wasn't quite keen to go to bed just yet. She turned her attention back to her mother and gave her best pout, complete with her black gumdrop eyes widening to the size of saucers.

"A few more minutes, Mommy please?"

"Na-uh young lady, you don't throw those puppy dog eyes at me and think it's going to work," Nura said.

"Mommy we don't want to go to bed just yet," Wassim said, also turning on his charm as well.

Hadassah leaned to her side and whispered, "you're a damn liar if you say that this isn't getting to you. I mean, look at them, they look like little lost puppies."

Nura grit her teeth, "I will not crack under the pressure, no matter how cute these little demons are," she said and straightened her back.

"Off to bed kids."

Both Malak and Wassim frowned when they realised their tactic didn't work. Malak was the first to stand up, adorned in a modest brown robe.

She turned on her little heels and was about to march out of the hall with her brother and nanny in tow when "aw come on, you think you can go to bed without giving your mommies a good night kiss?" Nura said.

Malak squared her shoulders, resolute in her defiance but it only lasted a few seconds when she saw her brother walk over to Nura and Hadassah. He hugged Hadassah first and she placed a kiss on his tender temples. Malak's shoulders seemed to deflate and she walked back to her mother.

Nura kissed her cheek before she enveloped her into a tight hug, "I knew you couldn't stay mad at me forever. I love you little one."

"I love you too, Mommy," she replied with a small smile.

The adults engaged in easy conversation for a while after the children had left, but the queen was awfully obsessed with dinner table arguments.

She always looked for opportunities to engage those around her in any type of debate, often playing devil's advocate in the name of winning. She was so competitive it was almost comical for Hadassah.

Hadassah usually put up a good argument and it was hard to distinguish who'd truly won. Both women were extremely articulate and persuasive, but that night, Hadassah was in no mood for her debates and merely chucked at her wife's attempts to rile her up into a passionate debate.

"I'm too tired for that tonight, prey on someone else for tonight," Hadassah said with a laid back smile.

"I reckon I could take you on," Mordecai said and Queen Nura smiled, "I like people who rise up to a challenge, unlike my lovely wife over here."

"Oh shut up."

Hadassah's tone was playful and the glint in her eye alluded to all the challenges she'd risen to and conquered both in the bedroom and out.

It was in the middle of that debate that Nura saw the raw talent her wife's guardian had. He was a natural persuader and although some of his points were iffy, she saw potential.

Mordecai had been living in the palace for as long as Nura and Hadassah had been married, Nura didn't see it fit to have her wife's only living relative in some far-off desert province when he could be there with her.

Mordecai had been given his own villa and private gardens, completed with servants who answered to his every beck and call. He'd even enrolled to The National University of Kediakin for a double major Political Sciences and Law and had his own lecturers who dropped by every few days to tutor him. Most of his degree would be done virtually.

Mordecai had never gotten a chance to further his education - as soon as he graduated from high school he'd looked for any employment he could find and settled for it, he and his cousin needed to eat. They'd lived in a harsher part of Susa at some point in their lives since the only job Mordecai could find was at a grocery store as a delivery truck driver.

He and Hadassah had stayed in an awfully dilapidated apartment until he'd gotten the bank teller job and had taken a short financial skills course that had come with the training for the job and then only had they moved into the apartment they'd stayed in before Hadassah went off to the palace.

He was overjoyed at the new opportunity to get a degree and to make something of himself. His possibilities were endless now. Mordecai was aiming for a job at the national parliament perhaps, or at an established law firm.

Long after Hadassah and Mordecai had headed to their separate chambers for bed, Nura had stayed in the dining room, intent to finish some work before she joined her wife.

"Memukan," she said.

The older man looked up from the tablet screen that was the centre of all of his attention for the current moment and fixated his eyes to the queen.

"Yes, dear?"

"What do you think about adding James as a member of the court?"

Memukan raised an eyebrow, unable to hide the surprise in his facial expression.

Nura was the only person within the palace walls who knew of her wife and her wife's guardian's real names and she was careful not to let that slip. It felt weird to not let Memukan know - as he knew every little thing in her life - but out of respect for both Hadassah and Mordecai and their past, she kept it to herself.

"Hear me out," Nura said, "I know he doesn't hold an Honours Degree in any of the academic subjects that are required to be a part of the court, but Memukan, he is so articulate and well-versed. It's something he was born with, I can sense it. He would be such a wonderful addition to the court - plus he's already on his way to an academic agree in Politics and Law. He's perfect."

Memukan nodded, "I did think his skills are quite remarkable, but one would have to think of how the rest of the court will react to this. It may come across as an extreme case of nepotism."

Nura mulled it over in her mind for a few minutes before she nodded and bit her lip.

"Perhaps I may initiate him into my court as an apprentice. That's a thing right? Old kings used to do that and I don't believe the law has been changed."

"I don't think so either, it just has not been used in a very long time."

"I can have our official historians dig through the Old Book of Laws and I'm sure they'll find it."

Memukan smiled at her, it was more of an amused grin and he shook his head-full of silver hair.

"It has just occurred to me that you are the only ruler in recent times to revive so many ancient laws."

Nura smiled, "The way I see it, great great great great great to infinity Grandfather Abd al Alim had it all figured it out from the beginning. We only started to lose our way as a line of Kings when we veered from the original laws."

"I can't say I disagree with you there, Dear, but there are some laws that were established by King Abd that I am glad have been ridden of."

"Of course some of his laws were quite problematic but his strategies on ruling a court and the economics of ruling the nation as a whole were amazing. I don't fail to acknowledge that I probably would not have been Queen if some of his old laws were still in place, nor would I be married to a woman."

"I actually can't imagine a world where you and young Esther aren't a couple."

"I know right," Nura replied, her light brown cheeks coloured into a soft red.

"It's like you two have fused into one being and you're both extensions of one another, it's majestic."

"Memukan, you're making me blush, do please stop it," Nura replied with the most adorable bashful expression on her face.

"And it's all I've ever wanted for you."

Memukan continued to press on and she could hear the sincerity in his voice. Her heart melted a little. No one on this planet knew her the way he did - he knew how much she had yearned for the love she now had with Hadassah.

He knew the true extent of her father's neglect and how it had affected her. Now that Hadassah was there, it was like all of the old wounds had given over and she had healed

"Thank you Memukan. I love you, I don't think I ever say it enough."

"You don't need to say it. I sense it. You already know that I'd lay my life down for you, my precious Queen."

"You've literally spent your entire life serving me and my family. Don't you sometimes wish you could've gotten married and had a daughter of your own?"

For some reason, the thought that Memukan could've had his own family but had stayed tight in the confines of his service to the kingdom ate away at her soul. She knew he had chosen this life willingly but it still filled her with guilt, especially since her own parents had abandoned her to his emotional care.

Memukan smiled and shook his head, "I don't think I could ever love another child the way I loved you. I simply have no other capacity in my heart for anyone that is not you. I'm married to the beautiful nation of Kediakin and she's blessed me with you, Nura. There's no other way of life that I want than this."

Nura wiped at the tears that stung her eyes and stood up from her seat to sit beside the first man who'd shown her what unconditional love looked like and she hugged him tight, pressing her smooth cheek against his weathered one and basked in the warmth of his security.

The Kingdom of Kediakin's government consisted of the sole monarch and an official court made up of two levels. The land had been governed that way since the kingdom's creation with King Abd. Kediakin's 144 provinces had been divided into twelve equal factions, each with two senators that made up the twenty-four members of the Official Court.

The Court of Advisors consisted of up to ten members who were the monarch's most trusted members of the court, the ones who helped the monarch make important national decisions. When Nura had taken the role of the sole monarch of Kediakin, she had inherited the Official Court and the Court of Advisors from her father.

Somewhere along his reign, he'd fired three of his advisors, leaving only seven men to balance the affairs of the nation on their shoulders. The seven advisors were Karshena, Shethar, Admatha, Tarshish, Meres, Marsena and Memukan. All of them were descendants of the original Nobles of Persia and Media - the first Court of Advisors that had served King Abd.

The eighth advisor was the only man Queen Nura had chosen herself and had been a part of the court for six years. Haman was a true descendant of the Agagites. They were a nomadic people whom Nura knew very little bit about because no one but the Agagites themselves knew of their true origins and how they'd ended up in Kediakin.

Years of poor governance in two of the factions had caused water shortages. Queen Nura had remembered how she'd spent many weeks in meetings with the courts and how no one could come up with any solutions to solve the water crisis. During one of those nights, Haman had given a practical and efficient solution that impressed her so much she'd later invited him for lunch to hear more of his opinions. He was quickly promoted after then.

In her eyes, he was very intelligent and a great benefit to her and the kingdom. Very many knew that he was part of the reason why reign had been so successful because he had spent a lot of time with her and Memukan and had helped her brainstorm ideas long after the Advisor's meetings had ended.

The man had three Masters degrees in Politics, History and Agriculture, was well read and very charming. She liked him best after Memukan and trusted him with the affairs of the kingdom. Not only did h understand the vision for her kingdom, he embraced and embodied it.

The same could not be said for the rest of the Advisors, whom Nura felt had gotten too comfortable in their complacency - who didn't want to think about economic strategies to alleviate food shortages in the desert provinces or increasing the country exports to fix trade deficits.

They cared only for the fat bonuses they got at the end of the year, the German cars they got to buy and trade every year and the international investments that kept on growing, increasing their wealth.

Haman, like Nura and Memukan, cared about Kediakin. He cared about the people and for that, he had won her eternal admiration.

Under the Apprentice Law of 1809 from the laws of Governance, Queen Nura was allowed to bring Mordecai into her meetings with the Advisors.

By law, he was required to stay by the Queen's side and never offer any of his opinions, whether verbally or non-verbally until he was fully inaugurated into the court.

The night before his first meeting he could barely sleep. He was so overcome with excitement for what lay ahead.

He'd never imagined his life would head in that direction and he felt the compelling need to talk to Yahweh until daybreak. He spent the entire night on his knees, praying to his Creator and thanking Him for his provision and his everlasting kindness.

For it was He alone who'd seen him and Hadassah through the attack that had killed their parents, He alone who'd kept them safe for the years that followed and He who had brought them to the palace.

In the morning, he felt like a new man. After an entire night of asking Yahweh to give him an alert mind and a heart willing and ready to learn, he felt that he could conquer anything.

He had breakfast in his villa and was escorted by an SUV to the South Wing, where he'd find the meeting room. Seven advisors filed into the room while he waited outside, all of them dressed in robes made of heavy velvet and special caps on their heads.

The last to arrive were Memukan and The Queen and he followed them into the room and sat at his designated seat, a low stool that positioned him close to the Queen's side so that he looked as though he was sitting at her feet. And for the next four hours, Mordecai took notes on his tablet of all that had transpired.

Queen Nura asked him to join her in her study after dinner. Hadassah kissed her wife affectionately on the cheek, told her not to keep her poor cousin up too long and floated out of the room in her legal robes. Memukan headed to his chambers with a kind 'goodnight' to the both of them and he too left the dining room.

"Tell me your honest opinion on what you thought of tonight," Queen Nura asked. She was in a reflective mood that night, hadn't easily given into banter than other nights but she seemed calm in her reflections.

"I was very awed. I had no idea... the lengths you and your men go through to ensure that this country runs smoothly."

"Are you happy as my apprentice?" she asked.

She'd taken off her own blue robe of velvet and gold crown and wore only an elegant all-white pantsuit. Her hair was still piled onto her head with the stiff gel and tiny little pins.

She looked less like the exalted being she'd been at the meeting and more like a normal human being, but Mordecai knew that there was absolutely nothing ordinary about the Queen. He had gained a new respect for her and gazed upon her as if she'd grown a new halo over her head.

"More than happy."

"I'm glad. What did you think about the ideas discussed about the new budget we want to implement that's going to be focused on secondary education?"

"I believe some great suggestions were made and I'm anticipating the next one to see where the rest of this talk goes."

"That's what I like to hear," Queen Nura replied.

×

Over the next few meetings, Mordecai could see the importance of Haman the Agagite man. He saw how much the Queen held him in such high regards and although the man was well-spoken and charming, something about him seemed off to Mordecai.

He reminded him of the line in the famous Shakespeare play: Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent that lies beneath it.

He mentioned him in his prayers to Yahweh often and he always got the sense that he had to be careful around the man, even though he had never done or said anything untoward.

×

It came to be known that Haman's wife was celebrating her forty-fifth birthday a few weeks later. Haman planned to make it a grand affair. He invited the most important people in all of the social circles of Yraqia - from politicians to entertainers.

The Queen, her immediate family and the Court of Advisors were listed as the most important guests of that party, set to take place at his country estate in Yraqia.

Queen Nura had been delighted to receive the invitation and had brought it up once or twice at the family dinners until she realised that she had a very important meeting in Belgium that week and she planned to take Hadassah and the twins with her.

She sent her Court of Advisors in her place, save for Memukan who had affairs he had to handle in for the Queen in Warbu, the city North of Yraqia. In turn, Mordecai was also included in the invitation.

It was windy the night the royal convoy of SUV's drove towards Haman's estate. Dry, hot sand blew this way and that as Mordecai got out of the car he'd been transported in and stepped into the foyer of the large estate. He and the other advisors were met by a servant girl who led them to the banquet hall.

It felt a little too much like the royal parties Queen Nura hosted. Haman had arranged for a high table to be hoisted in the centre of the room for his family that consisted of a wife and ten strong sons.

Haman had dressed in ostentatious robes and adorned himself with heavy rings made of gold and sapphire and although it was his wife's party, it was clear that he was the main centre of attention.

The poor woman looked very uncomfortable with everything but remained demurely by her husband's side the whole night. Mordecai kept himself entertained by talking a group of young musicians whose craft he enjoyed while they ate and drank.

Towards the end of the night, Haman had prepared special gifts for each of his guests - ranging from weekend trips to Dubai and other exotic places, jewellery of silver, hard cash and beautiful women to enjoy for the night. They acquired it only by bowing at his knees and kissing his red sapphire ring.

Mordecai knew that Queen Nura had said 'Haman is an exceptional man, worthy of praise,' and knew that the other advisors thought the same thing when he saw them going onto their knees to exalt him like he was a king!

He felt disturbed by how easily they could be won over by material gifts! He would not do it. Not only did his dedication to Yahweh forbid him from bowing to any mere mortal human being like they were an idol to compete for his devotion to the only living God, but he could not let abandon loyalty for Queen Nura.

One by one, all the guests in attendance bowed down to him and they were afforded with their gifts of choice. Mordecai watched as the old advisors escorted girls that were young enough to be their daughters into their SUVs and his stomach crawled with disgust. When he could no longer watch the fest of idol worshippers, he headed to his own car and waited for the convoy to start before he could head home.

×

At the next meeting, Mordecai could feel Haman's harsh gaze on him and he knew then that the unpleasant feeling he's always gotten around him was for a reason. Like King Solomon, his ancient forefather he asked the Lord for wisdom and soon he began to feel a deep sense of premonition concerning the queen and her favourite advisor. He was always one to echo her sentiments in meetings but Mordecai began to doubt whether his intentions were good or not.

There was something creepy in the way the man was trying everything to worm his way into The Queen's most intimate circles, where only Memukan dwelt.

He knew that Queen Nura only saw Haman as a great advisor but she'd learned her lesson with Wassim and had no desire to lend her trust to anyone outside of her immediate family.

After some time, Mordecai began to feel like he was being watched all the time. From the moment he rose until the time he went back to sleep, he couldn't shake the feeling that someone was observing his every move. So he was more cautious in what he did.

He still didn't want anyone either than the Queen to know anything about the fact that he and Hadassah were Jews. Although it had been many years since they'd lost their parents, he still had a deep fear of the same thing happening to them. In recent times, the fear had gotten more prevalent, like there was an oppressive force dwelling in the palace ready to entrap them and he couldn't trust anyone.

He limited the number of times he went into the private synagogue Nura had especially built for him and Hadassah. He kept only one servant at his side, Muhammad, a twenty-year-old eunuch who was very quiet and aloof. Every day, he asked Yahweh not only for wisdom but for strength and protection in these strange times.

Mordecai loved afternoons spent in Hadassah's private parlour. The two cousins had never had their hands so full - both with studying for their undergrad degrees, Mordecai's in Law and Politics and Hadassah's in Social Studies - and were busy with the official affairs of the kingdom. Luncheons were special affairs now and they took place once every month in the North Wing of the palace in a parlour decorated in golds, oranges and reds.

There was an endless supply of the special Persian treats Hadassah's favourite handmaiden always made for them. The AC was always on its strongest setting to ward off the dry, arid heat and they'd wile the hours away, filling each other in on the small details of their lives.

"You are glowing, Cousin," Hadassah said as she took a sip of the jasmine-flavoured tea that was sold only in Iran (Nura had specially imported for her every week.)

"I am very happy with my place in the court, it's very fulfilling. I sense also a different sort of glow on your face, Hadassah. Is there something you need to tell me? Are you looking to extend The Queen's lineage of heirs already?" Mordecai asked while wiggling his thick brows.

"Goodness no, the only glow I have is the post-amazing-sex one. I am not ready for all of that yet."

"But how's it looking?"

"Quite well actually," Hadassah said with a smile, "I'm finally at a healthy weight and Nura found a donor we both really like. We're planning to start trying next year," Hadassah said.

"Are you excited?"

Hadassah nodded. She wore a flared red skirt and a pale white silk blouse and had discarded her heavy robes. Her feet were bare, toenails painted in gold. The crown was still on her head, positioned meticulously in the middle of her explosive hair.

Hadassah nodded.

"We met with the donor on our trip back to Belgium and he was very sweet and well-mannered, reserved too, but I'm more focused on these last few months that I have left before I become a mother, but enough about me, tell me more about the apprenticeship."

"It's made me realise that I truly want to go into politics and I want to be in the Queen's Court very badly. I want to be the voice for people like you and I."

"You'll be our hero for this century," Hadassah murmured affectionately.

"Much like you."

"The only thing heroic about me is that Yahweh favoured me enough to bring me here and Nura's little heart delighted in me the most."

"Imagine the kind of message it sends to black girls all over this country?" Mordecai said.

Hadassah smiled.

"Well, I guess when you do put it like that, it is rather remarkable. But there was nothing that I did to deserve all of this, it's all Yahweh."

"Yes but you know how our Lord delights in exalting the underdog."

"Did you ever think it would ever end up this way the day our parents died?" Hadassah asked, her tone nostalgic and bittersweet.

"No, I didn't."

"Do you think my parents would be proud?"

"I'm positive Uncle Gilam and Aunt Adabelle would be the happiest parents on this planet. You've honoured them even in their deaths."

"Sometimes I miss Mama and Papa more than I ever did when we lived in Susa. Mama would have so many anecdotes on married life for me, she was so very wise, so very in love with my Papa."

"And it's manifested itself in you. You love Nura just the same."

Hadassah smiled and Mordecai smiled back.

×

Another three weeks passed and Mordecai was headed for the Library in the East Wing to gather some textbooks for an assignment he had due. He's just had lunch in his villa and his cook had baked fresh rye bread and prepared his favourite ginger tea.

The passageway to the library was adorned with portraits painted of previous kings. He took his time surveying the extensive line of kings Kediakin had given rise to. One of them, stood out in particular, King Mansa, the great grandfather of King Hakim.

It wasn't so much his attire as he wore the same glorious robes all the kings before and after him had but it was the look that gleamed in his eyes. Mordecai wasn't sure if the spirit of someone could be truly captured in a photo but he could feel his bloodthirsty, lustful stare in those dead almost-black eyes.

He was about to continue walking on when he heard two voices coming from a room sandwiched between the portrait of King Mansa and King Ibrham.

"My plan is now starting to take shape."

He recognised Haman's glottal voice and on instinct, he inched closer to the door that was opened by just a crack.

"How did you do it?"

"It was so simple, I slid the decree in between a bunch of many other non-important documents that all needed her signature imprint, she didn't even look down to see what she was signing."

"What a silly woman, but then again, there is a reason why Kediakin had male rulers," another voice replied. This one was deeper and more brooding.

"She's not entirely useless. She sees the value of my opinions. Soon she too will be singing my praises, saying Haman is the greatest in all of Kediakin," the man said. Mordecai could hear the smugness in his tone and he felt his back stiffen.

"She will revere me, they will all revere me. And this signed decree is the way into her power. You will not believe what I've discovered."

"What is it?"

"That miserable lowlife apprentice she drags around with her is a Jew."

The other man laughed. It was an evil sound devoid of any humour, loaded with a morbid darkness.

"This is most ironic."

"Indeed it is. James will rue the day he refused to bow down to me at my banquet, now I will hold the keys to his life and I will laugh as it is drained from him. The damage is done! Queen Nura has signed the decree that will enable the celebrations of the Aihtifalat and we will get to finish off those filthy abeeds that should've died during the ethnic cleansing fourteen years ago that occurred in Cenin and its surrounding cities. King Agag will see the glory from his resting place because I will be the descendant that will finish off the mission he set out to do."

"Kill those Jews!" the man bellowed back, in a cry full of bloody murder.

"I will start with James who was betrayed by his stupid little servant Muhammad, it is insane what a little promise of gold can do to a lowlife and then I will wipe every single Jew and finally cleanse this land of their filth!"

"Long live Haman the Agagite!" the other man cried.

With his studying forgotten, Mordecai turned on his heels and for the first time since he lost his parents in Cenin fourteen years ago, he ran for his life, tearing through the palace like a gust of wind.

He had to find Hadassah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112 15 14
~ Adar frowned like he couldn't believe what I was saying, "Amirah, you are the most courageous person I know! ...You must remember that courage is n...
5.4K 83 9
a bunch of gay shit. You'll enjoy it! Currently working on more chapters and other projects. This book is strictly oneshots. Vote and comment I take...
991 135 27
You've read it as a Biblical tale of courage, now experience the beloved story of Esther as it springs to fresh life in this inspired, modern-day nov...
19.2K 230 7
Created by Adonai to live out her days in the Garden of Eden, Lilith discovers that he is hiding a lot more than he'd like her to think. When Adam sh...