Ashley's Asylum (3)

By Infamous

Two Serial killers, one captive, chances of survival? Student psychologist Ashley is on a journey that will s... More

01| Ashleys Asylum
02| Ashleys Asylum
03| Ashleys Asylum
04| Ashley's Asylum
05| Ashley's Asylum
06| Ashley's Asylum
07| Ashley's Asylum
08 | Ashley's Asylum
09 | Ashleys Asylum
10 | Ashley's Asylum
11 | Ashleys Asylum
12 | Ashley's Asylum
13 | Ashley's Asylum
14 | Ashley Asylum
15 | Ashleys Asylum
16 | Ashleys Asylum
17 | Ashley's Asylum
18 | Ashley's Asylum
19 | Ashleys Asylum
20 | Ashleys Asylum
21 | Ashley's Asylum
22 | Ashleys Asylum
23 | Ashleys Asylum
24 | Ashley's Asylum
25 | Ashley's Asylum
26 | Ashleys Asylum
27 | Ashleys Asylum
29 | Ashleys Asylum
30 | Ashleys Asylum
31 | Ashley's Asylum
32 | Ashley's Asylum
33 | Ashleys Asylum
34 | Ashleys Asylum
35 | Ashleys Asylum
36 | Ashley's Asylum
00 | (Fiction Awards) Closed
00| Looking for Extras??

28 | Ashleys Asylum

13.5K 619 244
By Infamous

Under the cover of night, Ashley slipped out of the house the same way she had slipped in only hours before leaving Ben unwittingly asleep in bed. The street around her home was luckily quiet, so in fact, when she scuffed her shoes against the pavement it echoed.

Ashley travelled light with a duffel bag loaded full of clothes, essential toiletries, snacks and a few keepsakes. She needed to be light on her feet and unnoticeable and lugging a suitcase around hardly achieved either of those things. It was hard to know what to take knowing it would be all she held to her name by morning.

She visited a cash machine near her home and withdrew the maximum amount from her account before breaking the card in half and tossing it away. As a precaution, she changed her outfit afterwards in a small supermarket toilet and placed a hat on to obscure her identity from any CCTV.

Ashley didn't want the police to track her, if she led them to Michael he would suspect it was done purposely and that would be disastrous. To avoid being found via her phone she brought a map in the supermarket and sat outside planning her journey. She wrote down a couple of phone numbers on the back of the map before she destroyed her Sim card and dumped the phone a safe distance from the supermarket down a drain. It made her skin crawl to give up what she considered essentials in her everyday life. It was as if she were scrubbing out her existence bit by bit.

With her journey planned, Ashley caught a late night bus, the first of many, and sat at the back to keep away from the few other passengers. She wore a black hooded jumper and kept the hood up over her hat to hide her hair which was still noticeably white.

She fidgeted upon her seat, chewing on the inside of her lip nervously as the bus pulled away from the stop.

Was she really doing this?

The bus stopped at the traffic lights just down the road.

Last chance to turn back.

Her pale eyes darted around the bus as a surge of panic devoured her.

Was this the right decision? Doing this meant never going home, never knowing the comfort of family again or the pleasure of friendship. Peace would be forever unattainable; normality a distant memory.

The traffic lights turned green and the engine rumbled underneath her seat. Ashley closed her eyes in resignation and lent her head against the window.

This was happening.

Ashley tried not to think of Ben and Kate when they realised she was gone. She hoped at the very least Kate would understand why she had left not that it would make her absence any less painful. Ashley had to put things right and this was the only way she knew how despite the danger and her own doubts.

The truth was simple, Ashley was doing this to save lives even though there was no guarantee it would work. She was terrified to return to her abusers but her mind skirted around the fact to avoid a full-fledged panic attack. If she allowed herself to dwell on the reality that she was willingly placing herself in reach of Michael and his possessive, erratic behaviour she'd go mad. The idea that Sam could be waiting for her too wasn't even worth entertaining if she wanted to keep her nerve. Being with Michael and Sam again was her worst nightmare but living like she currently was, was soul destroying.

At least now the general public had a reason to dig their teeth into her. Ashley had carried everyone's suspicions on her shoulders since arriving home and it made her bitter to fall into the mold the media and police had made for her, the 'fake survivor' with bad blood. There was little she could do to change the public's views of her and frankly the further she travelled the less it seemed to matter. All the petty problems she had ever worried about, that everyone was guilty of worrying about, meant nothing now.

All that mattered was the task ahead of her. Michael was her only problem, her unsolvable equation, her broken puzzle with missing jigsaw pieces. Ashley's attention was fixated on him, just as he had wished it and soon he might be sorry for it. He seemed to think she would complete him and fill in the blanks but nothing could plug up a black hole. No, Ashley was going to end his deadly struggle but not in the way Michael most likely imagined.

Ashley didn't have a clue how or when exactly but if she found Michael she would play his game, she would do what it took to gain his trust and when the time was right she would do what she should have done back at the vet surgery. She would kill him.

***

The journey took all night due to the winding routes of public transport but by 4 am, according to her watch, Ashley hiked to the top of a hill and observed the fair laid out below with her heart in her mouth. It lit up the surrounding area like a star, expanding far across rented farm fields with amusements ballooning up into the sky. Pandaemonium, the fair of chaos.

Ashley sat down to catch her breath and watched from afar as the small town of thrills shone brightly. She laid back into the grass, feeling the heavy bass music from the rides vibrating through the ground.

Ashley couldn't say for certain if she was catching her breath or simply prolonging the inevitable.

It was an indescribable feeling, knowing that Michael could be within walking distance and she was on the verge of going to him. Ashley could barely stand to think about it, her heart was already in enough of a flutter. If anyone had proposed this situation to her a year ago Ashley would have found it unthinkable, if anyone had told her 8 weeks ago that after gaining freedom she would return to her captors she would have found it a deliriously bad joke (it was still a bad joke in some sense).

It was funny how many times one person could hit rock bottom, Ashley practically lived there now.

She opened her rucksack and pulled out a chocolate bar. She broke off a square and popped it into her mouth to try and quell her turbulent feelings. Her entire body ached from hours of sitting and her eyelids were about ready to drop yet her muscles were alive with adrenaline.

The fear that she was being lured into a trap swelled in her chest until she felt fit to burst. Her dreams had been plagued with Michael's violent 'love' and there was little reason to believe her nightmares weren't waiting for her down in the fair.

There was not enough courage in the world to make Ashley walk down to the fair with confidence in her decision but she summoned enough to make her legs carry her to the entry blocks of Pandaemonium. Large speakers at the rotating gates lit up her body with bass music and made the tiny hairs on her arms stand to attention.

Ashley paid her entry fee which set her back £50 and reluctantly flashed her ID at a member of staff to gain a luminous blue 'adult' wristband. No words were exchanged, only hand signals as the music was all-encompassing.

There were more people leaving than entering at this time as the fair closed in a few hours but it was still very much alive with guests, a credit to its popularity. Just inside the gates stood a large wooden sign rested upon an easel with a list of events that took place throughout the night most of which she had missed. None of them seemed particularly striking or symbolic.

Ashley's eyes travelled around, intimidated by the enormity of the site now she was stood in the midst of things. What was she supposed to do? How could she locate anyone in a place this huge?

She forced herself to start moving and walked deeper and deeper into the labyrinth of amusements and stalls, losing herself in the slowly dwindling crowds. The fair had an enormous tower sporting a countdown clock with luminous red numbers that scarred her sight when she looked at it for longer than a minute. She had 2 hours till closing time. The fair had bizarre opening times throughout the weekday but Thursday was special and opened 8pm till 7am.

The more Ashley walked, the harder it became to focus on any one thing as everything around her screamed for attention. It wasn't until she heard the telltale jingle of a carousel that her pace picked up. She ran until she found the proud parade of faux ponies though her instant feeling was one of disappointment. The ride lacked any of the mystics she had envisioned back at the Asylum. Somehow she knew they weren't there but still she paced around the ride, scouring the staff and shadows for a glimpse of black hair and those enigmatic grey eyes.

Ashley realised she'd reached the centre with 1 hour left till closing. The sky had changed from grey to light yellow and she had to face the reality that the staff would kick her out before she found Michael if he was even here. The theory that this had all been a wild goose chase never left her thoughts.

Rubbing underneath her aching blurring eyes, Ashley approached a wooden map that had been hammered into the flattened grass and squinted at the red dot that represented her in the very centre of all the chaos. Massaging her temple, a rouge light winked at her on and off as some kind of light reflected off of the laminated sign in front of her. Ashley glanced around to clock the flashing amusement sign behind her.

Her attention became engaged as she studied the amusement aptly labelled 'The Fallen.' It was a large ride and upon shuffling closer, Ashley realised it was a live-action walk-through maze. Just the sight of it filled her with dread.

Her eyes flitted over the elaborate ride art, admiring the depictions of warrior angels, gargoyles and devils in the midst of heaven and hell.

Slowly Ashley reached her hand into her pocket and pulled out the crinkled note Michael had left for her in the park. 'The place of all devils' is what it said, she knew it off by heart now but still liked to look at the words. Could it be a double clue?

Ashley glanced around cautiously before summoning up the courage to join the small queue to get inside. The thought of being trapped in a funhouse wasn't her idea of fun, especially if Michael was inside but she was out of options and out of time.

A rowdy group of young adults bustled excitedly just ahead of her as a member of staff told them to leave their beverages and headwear outside. Reluctantly, Ashley pulled her hat and bag off and left them on the side with other peoples belongings. She read the warnings as she did so, telling those with heart problems, asthma and epilepsy to avoid at all costs and saw an additional imaginary warning explicitly telling her to turn back.

The ride operator started to beckon people forwards, and Ashley abandoned her things to join the group of young adults. The staff member was counting heads as she passed by with a flash of her wristband which assured her someone would come looking if she didn't come out the other side.

Ashley walked through an archway laden with fake snakes that knocked into her like hanging vines. Within a few steps, she was swallowed by forced darkness and her ears smothered by uncanny music and sound effects. It was light enough to see the person in front and Ashley followed the group of youths as they mounted clanging metal stairs. It smelt largely of fake smoke, plastic and sweat inside and Ashley's only saving grace was the few whiffs of perfume and aftershave that found their way back to her from the group ahead.

The sound of swords grating and battle cries filled the new level as the riders funnelled towards an open doorway.

"I cast you out Fallen Angel!" Came a male boom, causing Ashley to jump out of her skin.

A member of staff greeted her just before she walked into the new room.

"Stand around the edge and strap yourself in" he shouted over explosive battle sounds.

Ashley nodded to show she understood before hurrying into a circular room.

She glanced around, feeling a sense of urgency to fasten herself in. There were lower body harnesses dotted all around the wall and she slotted in between a red-haired man with dreadlocks and a brunette woman with a glitter butterfly painted on both cheeks. Ashley fumbled to fasten herself in and received voluntary aid from the butterfly lady.

"Thanks" Ashley mumbled, even though the harness hung loosely around her hips.

"No problem cutie" she responded with a grin, her breath carrying the fruity scent of a blueberry slush puppy and spirit.

Staff came around and tugged on all the harnesses briefly before telling them to hold on to the handlebars provided. Ashley took the handlebars on either side of her shoulders with an iron grip. Her palms were noticeably slippery, a small indication of her nervousness around fair rides. Wasn't this supposed to be a maze?

The entry door slid closed and Ashley squeezed the metal bars as the floor began to shudder. The walls and ceiling lit up with holograms of stars and outer space as the sounds of battle grew louder. A giant, glorious female angel zoomed towards Ashley with its sword raised.

"I cast you out fallen angel!" Came the same lofty call before the floor jolted.

The stars began to blur as if she were falling fast. The floor gave another violent shudder before it dropped and the walls gave way. Ashley screamed as the ride plunged her down, her hair whipping into her face. Her body lifted up out of the harness before colliding back into it when the ride halted. The holograms had altered to a scene of fire and brimstone. The sound of crackling flames lit up the room before a door opposite slid open to reveal amber lights. A new member of staff beckoned for them to remove their straps. Ashley shakily unfastened herself and took a few unsteady steps towards the exit.

"Welcome to pandaemonium fallen angels, good luck getting out" the staff muttered blandly at her.

Ashley gave him a quick once-over before she hesitantly walked with jelly legs through the exit only to be assailed by smoke and a roasting hot temperature.

Ashley waved a hand in front of her face to clear the smoke, hating the maze more by the minute. She had never been in a live maze before and the listless reasons why she'd hate to we're quickly being confirmed to her.

The latest walkway was darker than the rest and she scrapped her feet along the floor with one hand slightly raised in front so she didn't bump into her fellow maze-goers. The walls were made to look like rock with screaming faces and lunging body parts embedded into stone.

A body suddenly leapt from the stone, wailing and waving it's chained arms at the group in front. Ashley's heart shot into her mouth and her hands automatically balled into defensive fists. This wasn't the kind of ride she of all people should be on, the urge to punch faces and ask questions later was strong in her.

"Help me! Help me!" The actor shrieked, dressed as an angel with half a melting face and wing.

A hand groped her shoulder and Ashley leapt forwards. Another actor appeared behind her and dropped to his knees. A metal collar loosely chained him to the wall.

"Oh sweet Angel, help me for I have fallen! Fallen in love with you" he jeered, fake blood dribbling from the side of his mouth as he spoke.

He shuffled towards her on his knees, half a gargoyle and physically sweating in the heat. Ashley hopped away from him in disgust and squeezed past the other actor to catch up with her group who had squealed their way ahead.

Ashley hurried along, her chest shuddering from her elevated heart rate. If she didn't have a heart problem before this maze was sure to fix that. She found a corner and winced at the flashing lights that greeted her in the next walkway. The group were gathered there, giggling nervously and demanding for one another to go first, clearly unnerved by the first scare.

After a moments deliberation, Ashley slid past them to bite the bullet. She walked cautiously forwards and noticed the floor turn a little soft underfoot. Abruptly the floor began to move and Ashley nearly fell back onto her bottom. It was quickly realised she had stepped onto a conveyor belt. Dread rolled its icy tongue up her spine as the flashing lights revealed hands ahead jutting out of the walls on either side reminiscent of a zombie movie scene.

She felt her stomach lurch and took an unsuccessful step back in retreat. Her entire body tensed when her hips and arms brushed against the first sets of hands. The cold, slimy sensation of rubber brushed her bare skin. Premature relief washed over her as the next set of fingers tips she touched lunged for her sides.

Ashley shrieked as her body was swarmed by groping hands on both sides. Snaky hisses and whispers begging for her soul lit up the walkway. She battered the prying fingers away and ran until the conveyor ended. Ashley paused breathlessly, caught between flashing lights and absolute darkness. She regretted entering the maze. Michael could be anywhere in here just like he could be anywhere in the fair. What if he was waiting in this pitch-black section ahead?

The butterfly woman from earlier blinked into sight and grinned at Ashley. She placed a hand on her arm briefly.

"Are you okay?" she checked kindly.

Ashley put on a brave face and smiled grimly.

"Yeah" she replied, her voice croaking.

Miss butterfly went ahead and her presence gave Ashley a much-needed injection of bravery. Even though she was a stranger, she didn't seem like the type to leave a person trapped in the dark, not that screaming for help really made an impact on a ride where all the actors were shrieking for help.

Stumbling through the latest patch of darkness, bursts of cool jets hit her form which were a welcome contrast to the shocking heat of the ride. No doubt the heat was a hardy attempt at imitating the fiery depths of the underworld.

Ashley had to admit the ride was impressive and lessened the sting of a £50 entry ticket if anything she wished it was less impressive. Tripping blindly through darkness was a terror in itself.

The vibrations of a bestial growl in the dark alerted Ashley to something lurking nearby. She bumped into the woman in front, the both of them frozen stiff with anxiety. A chest bumped into Ashley from behind and she received a mumbled apology from another fairgoer. They shuffled forwards together to see a creeping blood red glow dimly light the next part of the ride. The walkway opened out into a room, the outskirts vaguely lit with red floor lights.

Ashley's eyes clapped on a still shadow in the centre, towering above them menacingly. An inhuman snarl echoed and Ashley felt it in her bones.

The room brightened to slowly reveal the majestic spectacle of a high backed throne crafted from a collage of milky skulls. Upon that throne perched a large figure, adorned with satanic horns and the rippling pectorals to match his dark and most wicked majesty. Ashley had never had the displeasure of witnessing such an appropriate Satan and even the knowledge he was an actor wasn't enough to take the edge off of her apprehension.

If he moved, she was sprinting right back the way she came.

A seething, inhuman snarl rippled all around them.

"Who dares enter pandaemonium without my say so?"

Ashley blanched as the Devil slowly stood from his throne. Even though the throne was raised on a rocky stage, the horned devil reached a notably looming height. He pointed one muscular arm at the crowd, his finger seemed to jab directly at Ashley.

"Get them!"He bellowed, the clasp of thunder that followed shook Ashley's eardrums. "Show no mercy!"

The lights dropped to a barely-there glow. Screams and rabid animal noises rose up all around the room whilst slow bursts of white light lit up the walls like lightning strikes disorientating Ashley. To her horror, she saw shadows melt away from the floor and ceiling as actors leapt up and down to chase the terrified crowd.

Ashley watched in a panic as her group began to scream profanities and run through two separate doorways. She found herself shuffling back the way she came in. She'd take groping hands any day over Satan and his minions chasing her.

She knocked into a wall and then came chest to chest with a demon.

"Not today Angel" he ridiculed. He hooked his hands beneath her armpits and lifted her right off the floor.

The sheer shock of being picked up whisked all the air from her lungs and left her mouth gaping open in shock horror.

He dropped her down near one of two doorways and received a punch to the ribs by a smaller demon.

"You can't pick people up idiot, you'll get us sued!" she hissed fiercely before she gently shoved Ashley down the walkway with an apologetic smile.

Satan sprang down from his throne and bore sharp, beastly teeth at them all.

"Lambs for the slaughter!" he sneered. "Do you know what we do to angels here?"

The demons pushed Ashley along with a few others into a dead-end much to Ashley's confusion. She glanced at another fairgoer as they complained loudly that this was the second time they'd been trapped. Evidently, the second walkway was a booby trap and not everyone actually made it out of the maze. Now Ashley understood why a member of staff wished them luck getting out. It wasn't merely for dramatic effect.

Satan's demonic laughter echoed from the speakers just above their heads as a cage door was pushed closed on them.

"You are my prisoners now! My demons are hungry for fresh blood! Mind they don't tear off your limbs!"

Actors dressed as convincing monsters began to shake the bars and pressed themselves up against the cage door snarling and snapping like animals. The flashing lights ceased to Ashley's relief and she heard a few laughs from the actors as one accidentally snorted. Ashley let out a breath of relief, half glad she didn't have to brave anymore of the maze as this was clearly where things ended for her.

She pressed her head against the wall and looked out at the actors as they relaxed a little, their parts completed.

This entire endeavor had been a waste of time, a late night whim that had cost her dearly. To think Michael had given his location away was a credit to her high level of stupidity, he didn't trust her as far as he could throw her so why would he ever give her a clue that would lead her and potentially the police to him. If anything, this was his motive, to trick her into alienating herself from home for absolutely no reason. Ashley hit her head lightly against the wall in frustration and bit back tears.

After a moment of deliberation, Ashley considered asking the actors to let her out because she didn't feel well. She couldn't bear to be stood in this scorching heat any longer and she could feel the flood gates threatening to open. She shuffled forwards and sought eye contact with one of the demons, she looked the stretching Satan up and down in the red light hoping he'd turn around.Her eyebrows furrowed into a confused frown as she observed him lower his arms and roll his left shoulder with a wince.

"Sam?" She said without thinking.

Satan turned and searched the cage with his red eyes. After a moment of deliberation he turned his back dismissively.

Ashley swallowed nervously, her throat drier than a desert.

"Sam" she called a little louder.

He glanced around again and slowly pulled out his teeth. This time his eyes found her and widened in recognition.

"Ashley?" Came a loud, rumbling growl. He hastily pushed a mic away from his mouth and came closer to the bars.

"Ashley?" he repeated, the boom in his voice abruptly gone and replaced with tones she could have recognised blindfolded.

Ashley instinctively moved back as Sam came closer and pressed his face up against the bars. Now he was close enough Ashley couldn't believe she hadn't recognised him sooner. His tanned features clouded into his trademark scowl and regret washed over her.

"Where the fuck did you come from?" he hissed at her.

Ashley gazed up at him, dumbstruck as her darting eyes shone with bewilderment. She struggled to process all that became painfully obvious in that split second. The main fact being the clue had been real which meant this wasn't a fool's errand; the possibility of dealing with Sam and Michael was now a certainty.

"You're here? You, you fucking came here?" Sam snapped at her, his words full of exasperation. He pushed away from the bars and subconsciously wrapped a hand around the back of his neck. He shook his head like he was rejecting the situation and looked away from her. "This is un-fucking-believable."

He glanced back, almost to check she was really there and came close to the bars again with a finger poised to jab in her face if only she was close enough.

"Do yourself a favour and piss off" he growled at her forcefully.

Ashley gaped at him in utter shock. Out of all the responses she had anticipated, out of all the scenarios she had imagined, being told to piss off by Sam dressed as the devil was not one of them. A multitude of emotions swept through her all at once, chiefly panic now she was stood before Sam who was very much alive. She took another step back, glad there was a cage door between them even if it was made of some pathetic material. Although she had sought him out, the urge to run for the hills was just as powerful as it had been the last time she was confronted by the moody monster that was Sam Hanz. Every bitter moment they'd shared unhelpfully crowded into the forefront of her mind.

Her mind struggled to catch up with the moment but when it did Ashley was surprised by an abrupt swell of her own irritation. After all the misery she had been through these last months fearing for the safety of her friends and family, for her own safety, Sam had been here all along prancing about a fun-house in a devil costume and he dared to say that she was unbelievable. Her life had been a chaotic mess and he was here playing games.

Sam's red eyes glanced around as a new bout of thunderclaps began to blare over the speakers. He shoved his fanged teeth back in.

"Shit," he muttered before he turned to one of his fellow demons. "Let this one out."

"No way, her rides over" they retorted dismissively.

Sam grabbed him by his leather neck collar threateningly. Sam's colleague battered his hand away and Sam let him, his anger dissipating as quickly as it had risen.

A flash of light and a boom signalled the arrival of a new actor from behind them, through what Ashley originally took as a plain dead end, he was dressed as some sort of angel but his heavenly white makeup had smeared with sweat.

"Back foul beasts of the underworld. Fallen Angels the Lord has pity on you and has granted you aid. Hurry, this way to escape pandaemonium," he exclaimed with ridiculous theatrics. The captured fair goers ran out of the new exit eager to escape the ridiculous heat.

Ashley exchanged a long hard stare with Sam before she went with the other fairgoers. His eyes spoke volumes to her. She would pray not to cross him again if only that was an option. If he was here, Michael had to be further along in the maze as there could never be one of them without the other nearby. If she waited outside they would both surface at the closing time and her ordeal would begin for real.

Moving swiftly down the walkway, Ashley felt the breeze of open air and saw morning light ahead.

Ashley had to retreat and regather her nerve, she came here expecting to face Michael but now Sam's presence had been confirmed her plan seemed even less likely to succeed. Alone they were mildly manageable but together they dwarfed her in every way. Not to mention Sam's unfriendly reception added a new layer to her problems, the last time he saw her he promised he'd make her pay and his feelings towards her clearly hadn't mellowed. She had to rethink her plan of action if her trip wasn't to spiral into a suicide mission.

Her legs gladly reached for the exit so she could put some distance between her and Sam when two hands fastened around her forearms from behind.

"What the-" Ashley kicked out as she was dragged backwards and off to the side. She spun fiercely on her captor as soon as they released her expecting to see Sam. Instead, she came face to face with the reason she'd travelled here. All the fight in her dropped to the soles of her feet, the sensation reminiscent of the plunging ride earlier in the maze.

Michael flopped down into a wheelie chair a few metres in front of her, his silvery eyes alight with a contemptuous mirth.

Ashley glanced around for an exit in a fit of panic. So much for rethinking the plan. He'd dragged her into a dimly lit room, littered with several CCTV computer screens and a ton of contraptions that no doubt controlled the sound effects and mechanics of the ride. The only exit was the way they'd entered.

It dawned on her quickly that he'd been watching her the entire time like a hunter patiently observing his clumsy prey.

The room remained stooped in silence as they eyed one another. Michael looked as though he'd recently risen from a coffin with his ill complexion and purple ringed eye sockets, home to orbs that were bloodshot and laced with quiet hysteria. He was all in black which increased his pallor.

His head cocked to the side as he leant to the left in his chair, jamming the tip of his thumb between his teeth. He looked the worst she'd seen him yet, not unlike a creature of the night who'd starved itself to the brink of madness. His lips quirked up ever so slightly.

"Fancy seeing you here" he murmured around his thumb. His mouth moved as if to laugh but the sound didn't follow.

Ashley steeled herself against his blasé attitude sensing it was a poor front to the chaotic mess underneath, even his body language hinted at the twitching time bomb sat before her as his left leg jogged up and down rapidly. Michael wasn't one to fidget, at least not the version she was accustom to.

"Small world" she quipped croakily.

He sniggered a little at that, only a little before he sighed noisily. He stretched his arms and legs out and in the glare of the computer screens, Ashley noticed a healing scratch running from his right ear along his cheekbone. Didn't Hayley Lance have Michael's DNA under her nails? It made her stomach churn, knowing the violence that had occurred in wake of that mark. It provided a fresh and stark reminder that she was dealing with poison incarnate and one wrong move would lead her to a vile end.

Tension flooded the room. Ashley cleared her throat, finding it a struggle to remember what she'd planned to say to him. The room was heavily air conditioned and the sudden temperature contrast was an unneeded shock to the system. It dried her throat out even more.

He looked up at her through his dark lashes. The small teasing smile entertaining his lips didn't quite reach his chilly gaze. His face was caught between good humour and slaughter.

"Was it worth it?" He asked softly.

"Was what worth it?" she managed to squeeze out.

He pursed his lips together and the last of his smile evaporated. "Going home" he expanded, accentuating the second word like it wasn't a real word. "Was it worth it?"

When she didn't respond immediately his mask slipped a little further, revealing a formidable glower. He stood and lazily stepped towards her.

"Was. It. Worth. It" he gritted out.

Ashley's lips parted as she struggled to decide whether yes or no was the right answer. Her eyes began to water as she wrestled with the urge to back away.

Michael cocked his head to the side. "Those people you longed to be with, the faces in your mind that made you kick and scream in my company like a spoilt brat." He spat, "Did the faces welcome you home Ashley? Did they empathise with you Ashley? Did you enjoy all their empathy like a stifling, hand-knitted roll neck jumper?"

He shoved her in the chest. "Was it worth it?" he said loudly whilst squaring up to her. "Yes or no!"

"No!" She stammered hastily.

He grabbed her roughly by the jaw with one hand and wrapped his other around the back of her head. He jerked her closer his face alight with spite.

"You're lying" he hissed. "Did you bring them here? Are you acting as bait?"

Ashley frowned at him fearfully as he released her and proceeded to rub his hands down her neck and shoulders. His hands feverishly patted down her body leaving no space untouched. He mumbled incoherently to himself as he searched. She didn't resist and took the few moments grace to try and think of a way out.

"I'm not lying" Ashley murmured shakily. "You were right. I thought if I went home everything would go back to normal and it did for everyone, everyone but me. I couldn't bear it a minute longer. I've changed" she added, her voice thick with the tears threatening to burst forth.

Michael stopped patting down her leg and stood from his crouch.

"Not lying?" he mocked contemptuously, "then why has it taken so long for you to leave. Why wait months when I gave you a way out on a silver platter. A clue even a child could understand!"

"I had to be sure" Ashley looked up at him earnestly, willing him to give her a chance.

"You can only run away from the world once, the trick doesn't work twice" she added faintly.

Michael searched her face, his distrust and anger bubbling just beneath the surface of his expression. After a moment that seemed to stretch into an hour, his face somewhat softened.

"You never learn" he murmured, cupping her face with one hand. "You didn't change, you have always been you. The world just decided it didn't like that anymore."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 321 26
Warning-Rated Mature 18+ There is no such thing as a perfect marriage, every marriage has its ups and downs. Aubrey and Cruz Garcia will soon learn t...
Dead If You Do By Katie

Mystery / Thriller

885K 51.5K 52
A campus thriller: suspense, murder & one handsome roommate. ***** When Haley B...
1.8M 61.4K 82
Ashley Sunshine is ready to go off to college and start a new life since her high school experience wasn't...very fulfilling. Her college Richwood Un...
4.7K 518 36
The one who has eyes on her. The one who is hiding from him. The one who needs her. The one who lusts her. The one who cares for him. The one who pro...