Clockwork Forest

By JamieDodgerGallagher

Alinson was broght in a clockwork tower niebouring Two cities, along her way she meets a sophistatced dragon... More

Clockwork Forest
Chapter one - The tower and its guardian updated
Chapter 2 - Escape to Reality
Chapter 3 - A Strangers Aid
Chapter 4 - The pilgrimage
Chapter 5 - The Dragon and the Vampire
Chapter 6 - First Night and Day
Chapter 7 - a Loquacious Genie
Chapter 8 - The Animated Witch
Chapter 9- one sided mirror?
Chapter 10 - The Antipathetic Testing. (finished chapter)
Chapter 11 - New attire and a request (completed)
Chapter 12 the shadow and the new cook ( complete)
chapter 13 - cook to keep part 2
Chapter 14 - A Lady's Honour
Chapter 15 - Picnic and a witches Wrath complete
Chapter 16 - The Necropolis known as Rotheram
Chapter 17 - A Fight for her affection
Chapter 18 - Shadow of a doubt
Chapter 19 - Trapped in understanding new
Chapter 20 - Unexpected arrival
Chapter 21 - A taste of desperation
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm part 1
Chapter 22 - A Blade in the storm Part two

Chapter 13 - cook to keep Part 1

11 1 0
By JamieDodgerGallagher

Chapter 13 - cook to keep Part 1

She had stood back admiring her well earned hard work like a artesian praising their final piece, and in Alinson's case 'Project Pristine Kitchen.' She stood back with a satisfied smile staring at her accomplishment as she wiped the sweat from her brow with the back on her hand, dirtying her face more accidently as her hands had become brown and coated with grim. As another single droplet of sweat slide down from her brow running down her cheek before running down her exposed neck as she had tied her hair up in a pony tail, as many more beads of sweat socked into the bodice of her dress that now clung to her.

The room that once was a storage of rubbish, useless junk and grease, that held the strong foul rotting ordure was now gone. It now held the sweet fresh fragrance of citrus, the floor was removed of every foul, worthless object and free from greasy ill looking stains; now glistening and shiny resembling a mirror making the room look a lot bigger then what she had first realised now that it was free from clutter and filth. The counters, the fridge and cooker spotlessly clean and unrecognizable as if they were given a new lease of life and given back its purpose.

It was a shame that she did not have much time as she had wanted, as the titles old and broken were barely attached to the wall, and that the walls looked even though they were clean from mysterious unattractive stains and mucky streaks made the room still look dark then what she would have liked. She hoped that if Nicholas decided to keep her on as a tenant finding the Kitchen satisfactory or deem able, that he would allow her to do just that; as Isaac had indicated earlier that Okinini had usual bright strange titles that were never used in her room and would be glad to part from them for the cause. And that Kendor went through a stage of being critically indecisive of choosing colours to paint his room in, buying pots and pots of paint that had never been used or opened.

Isaac however, did not look as if he had even touched a thing, as he remained incredibly pristine; he did not even break a sweat or look slightly dishevelled even though he had helped her without taking a single break, as he had perhaps helped clean and repair the most filthiest places she could not reach. With the work now done he hovered motionlessly above the polished dining table that he had not seen in centuries, sitting with his legs crossed peering almost incredibly at the Kitchen he had helped clean. As he had never imagined that such a task was possible without wishing it possible, he couldn't believe himself that he a genie; that could easily wish away the dirt by a single wish. Could think it capable of doing such a feat by hand and for once using his noggin, with a determined young woman who didn't give up on the task at hand when the rest of them had only just to open the door and look in for a second and give up without even trying. An extraordinary woman he thought as he looked over at her taking in her mucky, dishevelled appearance as she remained smiling and uncomplaining; as her skin became glossy from the pouring sweat as she held her hands to her hips. But even though she was dirty to head to toe she still remained pretty as she looked over the kitchen and said with determined hopefulness, "well it's not perfect and it could probably do with a lick of paint to brighten the place up. And maybe another once over?"

With curious eyes he looked at her believing strongly that she was what this place needed, as he said reminding her of the next task at hand; "that may be so, but you have only less than three hours left. You still need to cook dinner, though may I make a suggestion and that you clean yourself up first?" As he looked once again at her appearance indicating a well deserved wash was earned.

Watching the him look up and down her form she looked at herself already seeing what he had meant, as she then walked to a nearby mirror that hung of the wall on the most vacant side of the kitchen grasping at her appearance as she saw the smudged lines of muck from her hands on her brow and cheek and at the ends of the escaped strands hair, "I look awful" she exclaimed taken back from her appearance. Indeed she needed a shower looking back at a watchful Isaac she pleaded, "Isaac I know how much you've done already, and I am a very grateful. But could you do me a small favour please?"

With a smile he asked with glee "certainly and what would it be?"

"While I have a shower, could you stand guard in my bedroom please and make sure nobody walks in?"

"Doesn't the door shut probably?" He asked playfully knowing full well what she had meant.

"It does" she replied feeling that frightful shiver shoot down her spine, as she gulped down a nervous knot in her throat, as she came up with an excuse. "But Kendor likes to let himself in and since there is no door that leads to the bathroom."

Before she could think of what to say next to convince him to help her, he had stood up still hovering from top of the table walking down an invisible small flight of stairs towards the floor never truly touching its smooth surface. He disappeared for a moment before reappearing at her side like a cloud of lilac smoke peering down at her with that mischievous smile of his. His voice seemed to know the truth as he said playfully "oh is that all dear Alinson? So it has nothing to do with the fact that your worried about being alone in that room? With those shadows still lurking about?"

Holding her arm feeling slightly nervous as she slightly bit her lip for comfort as she paused looking at the polished floor with the corner of her eyes as she thought for a moment, as Isaac stood beside her watching her face. She couldn't lie to him, he was the only one who knew about them, who believed her and not thought of her as a mere child still afraid of the dark. "Your right" she replied in a rasped low nervous voice as she remembered how daringly frightful the shadows had grown after the last week, making her dead the night or to sleep for they did not allow her to rest or have a moment of peace. In the day they did not do anything but she knew they were still there watching her, "some company would be nice, though I would appreciate if you wouldn't look while I bathe."

Without refusal as he would have done it anyway Isaac nodded in agreement, "of course, that goes without saying now, I'll meet you there and clear out the vermin."

Alinson seemed puzzled with confusion as her head shot up as she narrowed her brow, as she was confused by his choice of words "vermin?"

He didn't reply, he didn't need to say a word before she finally understood, as his became blank of any emotion with only his dark eyes portraying only a single emotion. He was serious and looked like he was going to deal with something he loathed, as his body disappeared  through the wall as if he was laying in a pond of colour being swallowed by the water as his face was the last to disappear.

Knowing where he was going she ran out of the kitchen into the corridor her eyes fixed on every upcoming turning, as she could feel the growing worry and panic that she had always felt when she was reminded of those creatures. Going as fast as her legs and heavy skirts could carry her she began to worry for Isaac's safety as she did not know what the shadows might do, as they had become more daringly viscous towards her she did not know what they might do to him. As she came to another turning that lead to her chambers she did not see that Kendor was in front of her as she bumped right into his chest that was partly covered by his white crisp shirt, that had frills at the end of his cuffs. Putting an arm around her holding her close dismissing the dirt that covered as her with a playfully curious voice laced with confusion he said "whoa where is the fire?"

Apologising straight away from her thoughtlessness she did not stay to explain as she ran out of his loose embrace passed him to her chambers, finding her door slightly ajar. Before she could reach the handle a bright blinding bolt of light beamed strongly from the room, blinding her as she raised her arm to shield her closed eyes as the light deemed and became normal until a rosy glow was all that was left. Fear took hold of her clutching her heart as she opened the door slowing as she peered into the room, fearing the worst as she took an either courageous or daring step into her chambers only for her eyes to greet a perfectly well untouched Isaac; working the fire as he poked at the logs with a hot poker.

He seemed content without a care in the world as he had a smirk on his face as it shown a rosy glow on his skin, but whatever he did she could not feel their presence at all within the room. Her eyes wondered her plain ordinary room searching for a flicker of a shadow hiding in a dark unreachable place but found none.

"Their gone" she marvelled in amazement as she felt a wash of peace and a heavy weight being lifted from her as she wondered more confidently in the room.

She could not see his face as he nodded in agreement, but instead of a cheerful grin or smirk his said dashing her thoughts of freedom. "Yes, but they will be back later."

Dread filled her rendering her still as she swirled around the room allowing herself a dance of freedom from them, but before she could speak a word Kendor had appeared into the room wondering what had happened as she had left him confused and dumbstruck, that she had run past him. No woman in all his years had ever done that to him. He looked at Alinson before his eyes landed on Isaac bending before the fire, "what the hell was that?" he asked Isaac.

Looking up Isaac saw Kendor with a confused look riddled on his face, instead of looking concerned like he did moments ago into the fire his expression changed to a cheery thoughtfulness, as he responded almost sounding oblivious at first to his question before answering. "Hmmm? Oh the bright light? I was just getting rid of some pests, that's all."

 "Pests?" Kendor repeated the word which was foreign to him, and the house, that made him even more confused "but there aren't any. Otherwise I would know," as he pointed to his slightly tipped ears indicating his excellent hearing, "and why are you in here anyway?"

"Me? I was asked to light the fire in here and keep it warm, while she cleaned herself up" he explained proudly trying to portray his innocence, as he held his hand over his heart pretending to be hurt by his comment.

Kendor smiled feeling something amiss "oh? Well I guess I better stay to keep her company."

"But she wishes to bathe" said Isaac "she also wishes privacy as any young lady does, from being seen by potential prying eyes."

"You mean me don't you?" Kendor raised an eyebrow titling his head slightly with a slight smirk on his face as he crossed his arms.

"Maybe, now would you be a gentleman and leave her in peace?"

Kendor took a step forward holding his pose, "a real gentleman would make sure the young lady is not disturbed by standing guard."

Isaac wiped of expression walked up to Kendor's side placing his hand on his shoulder lowering his head four inches away from his ear, and within a matter of seconds before he walked away leaving Kendor standing he whispered for only his ear only which could not be heard by Alinson; "I know what your game is, but not being rude I wouldn't today, she is on a deadline."

Kendor kept his smile "and as I said I will not leave her side."

"She doesn't want you here" said Isaac trying to get his point through to Kendor reminding him of common curtsey, but he could tell by Kendor's face that he wasn't listening.

"Of course she wants me here."

Looking sharply at a quiet Alinson who felt that she was almost been forgotten about and that she was in the room, "Alison do you want Kendor here?" but before she could respond he looked back at Kendor and said answering for her "see she doesn't want you here. Go."

He knew that he still did not understand or just too stubborn to leave the poor girl alone while she had the chance, as he could see that Kendor was about to protest. Isaac held up his hand with his thumb touching his index finger in front of Kendor's eyes clicking his fingers making Kendor blink and before Alinson's eyes Kendor was gone. Alinson taken back by the magic took a step to where he had stood; waving her arm expecting to hit his invisible body, but only felt air as she asked curiously wandering what had happened to him "where did he go? What did you do?"

Isaac looked up with a cheeky smile "hmmmm, I just sent him to the edge of town to his favourite book shop. He'll be back in time for dinner" he reassured.

Alinson took another step forward "but why to the book shop? I mean, I know he loves books but why not send him to his room where it is filled with them?" she asked.

Isaac sighed as he explained "so you could have some private time. If I just sent him to his room he could easily come straight in here again, he was worried about you. I can tell that" scratching his head for a moment as he thought to himself he continued, "anyway the shop causes distractions where he cannot help but help himself."

Alinson smiled at him sweetly as she understood what he meant, "I know he worries about me from time to time, but some alone time would be nice."

When she went to look at Isaac she found him floating in the air as if he were laying on his side; looking at his nails as he asked "oh, so would you like me to leave then?"

Immediately she shook her head "no, no, no, no, no" she repeated feeling panicked of what he had said about the shadows returning as she looked around the room again cautiously. " I just meant that it is nice to talk to somebody after so many years without any sort of contact. After so many years of my life confined without seeing another living soul, I feel overjoyed and alive. To hold a conversation, to ask questions and actually receive answers. But sometimes when I talk to Kendor he seems distracted on something else, were you, your focused. Kendor is the first real person I've met, that has helped me and my first friend. But he doesn't believe me, no-one does expect you Isaac."

"I see things that have happened to someone, I am a genie and that is what we can do, as well as other things of course. The shadows are another matter" he said looking away into some far off corner of the room before continuing his explanation. "Not only you and I can see them; but everyone else can as well, they know of them. It's just they have laid dormant since this tree was built, they haven't shown themselves until now, since you have arrived."

"But why me? And if everyone knows about them and can see them, why don't they believe me?"

"They haven't" he exclaimed, "they have never shown themselves until now. For some reason they are drawn only to you, when you alone they will always be there unless you're in a bright room or with someone. As long as your with someone they can't harm you. Give everyone time and they will see sooner rather than later trust me, now go and have a wash and I'll keep my eyes peeled."

As she turned round to face a floating Isaac to agree with him while hiding and containing her fear, she found him sitting at the edge of her bed ushering her to go and have a shower. Walking into the bathroom hiding herself from sight she removed one by one of her dirty mucky garments, until she was completely bare apart from wrapping herself in a towel as she walked over to the marvellous invention Nicholas'. Stepping into the shower as she was about to turn the dial she looked over her shoulder where she had a clear view of where Isaac sat, finding him with his back almost towards her as he kept watch on the door. She smiled at him thankful for his politeness as she started up the shower till the water was warm enough for her to discard the towel placing it on a chair close by as she started to wash herself.

At that moment when he heard the water rush out dropping against the ceramic floor, Isaac turned his head taking a glimpse over his shoulder to check on Alinson while she was preoccupied by washing her hair. He took in her naked soaking form and her long unusual clinging wet hair, before looking away facing the door once more as he gave a reassured understanding nod as he sighed. "I can see now what all the fuss is about, just a matter of time I guess" he said to himself.

Thinking that Isaac had said something to her Alinson turned round looking through the door frame of the bathroom, she called out to Isaac who still faced the door "something wrong Isaac?"

"No its nothing, just thinking" he replied raising his voice slightly for her to hear him.

Alinson turned the dial round causing the water to come to a halt as she began so wash her body with soap, that smelled of vanilla and honey "can I ask what you're thinking?" she asked while the water was off.

Isaac shrugged "can if you want to, but you won't like the answer."

Thinking nothing of it she asked again "ok what are you thinking?"

He sighed in defeat as he could not tell a lie as he replied, "well long story short I was admiring you. You seem naive to the fact you have caught two peoples eye."

Abruptly Alinson found herself come to a stop as she began to wash her arms "what was that I didn't hear you."

Isaac smiled and said quietly more to himself "that is what I mean, you don't know it yet;" he paused as he took a look at her capturing her eyes as he said. "I was admiring your beauty, your personality and brains, not to mention your determination."

Before she knew it he was staring right at her, she tried hard to cover self up from his eyes  she shouted "do you mind Isaac? I was rather hoping you wouldn't look back!"

"Sorry my dear, I do apologise but if it is any constellation; I don't have a interest in you in that sort of way" he replied honestly as he looked away.

"In what sort of way?"

"I meant as a psychical attraction" replied Isaac

Feeling utterly confused on how  to react to his bluntly honesty comment, she didn't know whether she felt insecure about her looks as she had never once ever took notice of her appearance other then tidying herself and making sure she was neat and clean.  This strange unfelt before emotion struck her down in a way that she didn't know how to overcome it, and in another she felt that her friendship with him was safe and not under threat of any kind but it still did not set well with her. Was there perhaps something wrong with her? As she thought to herself feeling her small confidence on the matter dwindling as if he could read her thoughts, "nothing is wrong with you; please forgive me if I gave you the impression. You are a beautiful young woman, that is for sure. What I mean was that I don't process those sort of feelings towards you. As a Genie, I have seen all sorts of allegeable ladies but in the term of feeling and expressing love as a Genie. Well, it's complicated." He said smiling kindly whilst looking at the door.

Turning the dial once more releasing the warm water to wash off the soap and shampoo  that remained on her body and hair, she asked "how?"

"It's a long story" he sighed "but I suggest you carry on bathing, your running out of time and don't worry I won't be watching or peeking."

"Well considering I have a bit of time here it would be nice to talk" she reassured him as she was about ready to leave the shower as she massaged her hair to get rid of the remaining bits of shampoo that still lingered.

Isaac sighed finding this new topic of conversation interesting, "not being funny but explaining a Genie's private life would take a entire human life time to explain. So I'll keep it simple, the only way for a Genie to fall in love, is if somebody wished for it."

Turning off the shower allowing droplets of water to fall from her body, Alinson looked up looking slightly sceptical and surprised as she asked "really? That sounds like someone planning an arrange marriage without your knowledge or approval."

Isaac sighed once again as he changed his position on the bed as he put his hands behind his head, as he sat back further on the bed away from the edge crossing his legs. "Yeah but over the years nothing lasts, are you finished in there?"

Wrapping the towel firmly around her she replied hiding in the bathroom next to the doorframe so he could not see her if he was looking in, "yes I am, I hope Kendor has put the new dresses in the wardrobe for me."

"Yes he has, I remember him categorising them by style and colour the other day" he said before pausing for a moment remembering something he needed to do. " I need to go for a moment if that is ok?"

Coming out of the bathroom with the towel covering every part of her body, as the ends of her hair continued to rain small droplets around her feet, Isaac feeling her presence back in the room casually looked over his shoulder and with a smile said "well at least your clean now."

Alinson smiled at him "true, you can if you want to, if you think I have some time before they come back."

Isaac's smile broadened " they won't be back until the fire goes out" he answered as he stretched his body as he jumped off from the bed hovering above the floor. " I have to see a man about a spanner, keep the fire going and I'll see you later in the kitchen."

Alinson smiled as she watched him make his way towards the door with his hands behind his head as he walked through the closed door, hovering Isaac glided the above the floor of the corridor mimicking walking as he then strolled into the designated wall. Entering the eerie dark well lived in stale room, that was more turned upside down more than normal as blueprints and designs littered the floor like discarded newspaper; with equipment and tools amongst them as the usual noises of winding, twisting and flickering of paper could be heard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76K 3.1K 26
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
69.2K 6K 41
What if Arnav gets a chance to rectify all his mistakes? What if he gets a chance to avoid such situations? What if he gets to know Khushi is his wou...
488K 16K 155
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
35.8K 3.5K 80
A story following a young hunter named Jay. He has grown up in a world where dungeons, monsters, and humans with leveling systems are a cultural norm...