A Court Of Past And Present

By jaquly

|| Highest ranking: #9 in protection βš”οΈ #1 in A Court Of Thorns and Roses🌹 #7 in Sarah J Maas πŸ§πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ || "Wh... More

Prologue
The Grand Reveal
The Visit
Right Place, Wrong Time
Once A Mate, Always A Mate
What A Time To Be Alive
Rhys & Rhysand
The Colision of Fate
Battle of Mates
Unexpected
Loose Ends
Happily Ever After?
So it is over then

Unknown Memories

2.2K 45 4
By jaquly

The first memory I sent to them was in the House of Wind, the time when I first met them all over dinner.

I showed them the first winter solstice I spent with them, recalling the moments shared between Rhys and I and the how we danced and drank together until the sun came up.

I skipped to the moment they first found out I was High Lady of the Night Court, the shock on their faces.

Fast forwarding, I displayed certain memories I made to each of them; the joyful banter between Cassian and I as we spared in our daily training sessions; the moment when Mor unclover her deepest secret to me and how we hugged, sobbed and laughed together; the moments Azriel and I teased Cassian together and when he taught how to fly; the moment when Rhysand and I shared the small cabin bedroom together and memories of us tangled together, splattered in paint, as we solidified our mating bond.

I showed each of them my favourite memories with them, from the earliest to the latest.
I sent the memory of Rhysand and I announcing the pregnancy to them, how Mor cried with joy and how Cassian declared how awesome of an uncle he would be. How Rhysand flew through Velaris singing with joy about how he is to become a father.

I finished by sending them the memory of the witch appearing at our home, how I saw Rhysands desperate face as he sprinted towards me right before I was forcibly winnowed to a different time.

Receding out of their minds, I opened my eyes.

"You're-" Cassian spluttered between heavy breaths, "High Lady. You're our friend?"

I nodded, not knowing what else to do. I glanced at Rhys who leant on his knees, his head resting in his hands.

Azriel stood, his fingers massaging the bridge of his nose as he caught his breath.

"I need to find a way back to my time," I explained, I looked to Rhys. "Back to you. The older you."

He didn't look up, but he slowly nodded

"You must be exhausted. I'm guessing you already know where the spare rooms are, go and rest." He said as he began standing up. "I need to go. Mor, take care of her while I'm away."

"What, why?" I protested.

Mor stood and walked towards me, "Come on."

"But-"

"You need to rest."

I couldn't help but obeyed as she lead me towards the stairs, the thought of going back to sleep making me yawn.

All I heard was a door slam before she whisked me away into the spare room. The second my face hit the pillow, I fell into a blissful sleep.

* * *

Evening sunlight spilled through the windows as I stirred awake. The Autumn breeze ruffling the curtains. I sat up, looking through the open window and gazed upon the setting sun.

I felt movement in my belly as I ran my hand over it, "Soon you'll be home, baby. Hopefully, soon."

Situated on the edge of the bed, a maternity dress lay folded. Clean and unused. One of the half-wraiths who live here to assist us must of went out and bought it for me while I was asleep. Either Cerridwen, or her twin Nuala.

I tugged off the night gown Cerridwen had given me earlier and slipped into the deep blue dress. I called down my mating bond.

Where are you?

With no response, I headed down to the kitchen. I rounded the corner, to head voices talking from behind the closed kitchen door.

"I don't know, Azriel. I don't know how to react," Cassian's voice sounded through the closed door, "Can you please say something, Az."

"I have nothing to say." Another voice, Azriel, grumbled.

"So you're completely fine with what you just saw?"

I heard a long sigh, "No, Cassian."

"But-"

"Cassian, just drop it."

Slipping past the closed door, I left the house. I felt a sense of calm as I walked down the cobble streets, the salty sea breeze reminding me of my mate. The beauty of Velaris never failed to take my breath away, I can never thank Rhysand for keeping this city safe.

"I love you," I whispered into the wind.

I will see him again. No matter what it takes, I will see Rhys again.

Reaching down the bond, I sought out Rhys. A thought surfaced within my mind and I halted, pulling back down the bond. I didn't need an answer, I already knew where I could find him.

* * *

Entering the ancient library, it didn't take long to find him. Hidden between the bookshelves, sprawled across a old fashioned lounge chair, Rhysand sat flipping though the pages of an old leather bound book.

"Hello there."

Rhysand quickly leapt from the chair, the book he was reading flying from his hand.

"By the Cauldron!" He gasped. He lifted his hand to his chest, catching his breath. "How did you even know I was here!" Leaning over, he picked up the book he threw.

"You're such a scaredy-cat, Rhys." I chuckle lightly from my place in the doorway.

"No I'm not."

Laughing, I shook my head, "Yeah, you are."

"I am the High Lord of the Night Court, I don't get scared."

Walking over, I slumped down on the chair beside him. Looking over, I noted the title of the book. "Book of Bellardith?"

He quickly set it down on the table in front of us, "It is a very old spell book." At my inquisitive look, he continued, "I was researching about your current... predicament."

"And?"

"And... I have a few theories but nothing substantial yet." He looked me over, taking in the new outfit. Leaning back, he kept his gaze fixed on me, "How far along are you?"

"What?"

He gestured towards my stomach, I felt a talon lightly run down my mental walls.

May I touch it?

At my nod, he moved to the edge of his seat. Ever so slowly, he reached out. As soon as his fingertips made contact, a wave of tingling sensation flooded through me.

As if sending his presence, a jolt went through me as the baby kicked.

His face lit up as bright as the sun as smile beautiful spread across his face and a deep laugh escaped his lips.

"I felt it!" He chuckled, "he kicked!"

"Who said it was a he?"

Looking up, he grinned, "I do."

I playfully hit him on the shoulder, "What if I wanted it to be a girl."

Smirking, he glanced back down. With his palm flat against me, he began running his hand across my stomach, soothingly.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do," he said softly, "but what you showed me, my future with you. I know, deep within myself, that I'll do anything to protect it. To protect you," he gestured to my belly, "to protect both of you."

I smiled, "Ten and a half months."

"Hm?"

"You asked how far along I am, I'm ten and a half months in."

His brows furrowed, "You don't have much left to go. Pregnancies usually last around eleven months with Fae."

"And is that bad?"

"No, no, no. It's just..." He peered out over the expanse of the library, "...What happens if it comes before you get back to your time?"

Through this, I haven't wanted to face the fact about the chances of it occurring. The possibility of giving birth without Rhysand there beside me... no. There is no way I could let that happen.

"I'm not going to let that happen. My mate-" 

This awkward mess, what do I even call my mate from my timeline? 

"The older you, he- I just can't think of that possibility, Rhysand. He needs to be with me."

Silence fell upon us, a warm, comfortable one.

"What happens... in the future?" His voice was rough, "What you showed me, with the giant time jumps, what did you not want to show me?"

At my silence, he continued, "What happens to me? To us?"

An idea popped into my head; I'm in the past, if I tell the Rhysand now about what is going to happen to him, maybe he can rewrite what happens, so he doesn't have to be tortured with years of nightmares following the 50 years locked within Amarantha's bedroom.

A memory surfaced, one of us laying together on another sleepless night.

***

"If I had the chance to go back, to change my past." Rhysand said, "I want you to know that I would do it all over again, a thousand times over, if it meant living the life I am now, with you." He reached down and placed a warm hand on my bare stomach, "If it meant being here, with him and you."

"Who said it was a him?"

His following grin sent my hormones wild. His smile only widened as I leaped on top of him.

***

Shaking my head, I fell back to reality. No, I couldn't do this to him. This is his decision, and his decision only. He made his choice and I will stand by it.

"It was nothing bad," I lied.

Rhysand frowned, but didnt question. Thankfully, he changed the subject, "I will ask Amren tonight- you know who she is, right?"

I nodded, Amren was one of our closest friends and Second in rule over the night court, she was a supreme being once, one older than imaginable and with power stronger than any other being. But to escape entrapment she bound herself to a Fae body. 

Amren is the reason my whole family is here today, no, the whole of Prythian is here today. She sacrificed her strength and power to destroy the historic battle between Hybern and Prythian all those years ago. She has now been living as a Fae among us, I had heard the other day that she was out visiting war allies to continue a solid alliance for the court, while also ensuring safe and reliable trade and transport to our people.

"Is she still a jewel hoarder?"

"Good to know she doesn't change," He chuckled.

He stood, holding out a hand for me, "How would you feel about taking a walk through Velaris with me?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.5K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
383K 10.2K 54
(#790 in fanfiction 2017-04-30) **I am including a spoiler warning for Empire of Storms and A Court of Mist and Fury. Both now have canon follow-ups...
105K 2.3K 61
𝑨 π’”π’•π’π’“π’š 𝒃𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 π‘»π’‚π’Žπ’π’Šπ’ 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘Ίπ’‘π’“π’Šπ’π’ˆ π‘ͺ𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕'𝒔 π’…π’‚π’–π’ˆπ’‰π’•π’†π’“, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅...
22.4K 274 7
A group of fic's detailing some of the more major scenes of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas from the point of view of Rhysand as he expe...