The Silver Rose

By sinisterserene

A magical continent, a powerful seer that can see it all; the end and the beginning, a mighty warrior with a... More

• THE SILVER ROSE •
DEDICATION
A E S T H E T I C S
PART I - THE LOST DREAM
01 | Thunder
02 | The General
03 | New Fate
04 | The Secret Bargain
05 | Peace Offering
06 | Assassin
08 | Whispers
09 | Raven of Dracia

07 | A Forgotten Offer

117 13 17
By sinisterserene

Five months ago.

Rosaline, uncaring of what Jina or anyone might say, stood in front of the Crown Prince's chambers. She tried to reason with the guards, but they seemed intent on keeping her outside, far away from the only person who had actually bothered to see her as an individual and not just some random courtier.

     He needed to know.

     Her dream had been a cursed one, tainted with crimson and steel alongside screams of pain, a vision of immense sorrow and darkness.

     The guards—who were usually very kind to her—didn't budge. "We're under the order of His Majesty, Miss Myracle. I insist you to return today."

     Rosaline reluctantly looked over her shoulder. In an hour of so, the night would set and she'd be forced to return to her chambers, obviously under Jina's orders, only allowed to come out an hour after dawn.

     She gulped, "I wouldn't have come here if it wasn't necessary, Sir. Please." Her eyes creased with tension. "I need to have an audience with His Royal Highness immediately."

     She didn't know when the reality of her dreams would strike. But they were to turn true, she was certain, for three nights in a row she'd seen the same dream, and now a vision had graced her too. She'd already wasted too much time being at court all day.

     "Forgive us, Miss Myracle." The guard's eyes turned soft. "I must ask you to return."

     That was all.

     They wouldn't let her meet him.

     And Jina wouldn't let her meet him either.

     She knew why they were so against her, but she worked for the Queen now. She lived in a palace and she spoke like they did and she ate like they did. She even dressed like they did, despite the fact that she found the corsets tight and the long skirts absolutely hideous. She'd stopped her training too, hidden her arrows in the secret passages, just to fit in.

     Why did it even matter where she came from and who her father was?

     Rosaline dejectedly nodded, her lips twisted into a sad frown and turned on her feet, beginning her extremely horrible journey back to a chamber most girls her age called a cage.

     But those young girls had prospects, dowries and inheritance.

     All Rosaline had was herself and she was trying terribly hard to build a life in the palace just so she could have a future that wasn't pitch black, and alone.

     She took a turn towards her quarters, nestled at the very end of the Queen's palace.

     "Rosaline," a voice called. "Stop."

     She paused, her heart skipping a beat at the voice as she turned and noticed Julek hastily walking towards her, as if resisting the urge to run.

     Wind blew in from the balcony behind her, pushing stray strands of gold from her braid to her face, the evening sun casting a warm glow on her. She looked to the side, worried that she barely had time before her maid would come looking for her.

     "Your Highness," she curtsied elegantly, sending ripples across her chiffon gown.

     He paused in front of her, drinking her appearance. "There you are," he muttered, his face alight with the same sunlight. "I heard you."

     She nodded. "I must tell you something. It's urgent."

     Julek looked over his shoulder carefully. His guards weren't in sight, but likely they were close by.

     Crown Prince Julek Donwan took a step ahead and gently grasped her wrist. "Come with me." He tilted his head towards the balcony behind them and she followed silently.

     He let her walk in first and then stepped in, closing the door behind him. "Now, tell me, my lady. How can I be of service?" His voice was gentle, noble.

     "I had a vision." Time was of essence. She could not afford to waste any.

     Julek's eyes widened, then relaxed. Of all people, she'd chosen to tell him. But he'd also been doubtful for she managed to escape circumstances only someone who knew about them would. Like the time she managed to evade the other courtiers' stupid conspiracies or the time she forced him to leave her side and shortly after, his royal parents appeared. There was one time she didn't appear for days and stayed in her room, faking an illness because Jina's relatives were visiting and they were anything but kind.

     "What did you see?" He asked, his face neutral.

     "A war," she said without hesitation. "Crimson lands, dark waters and a furious sky. Black banners."

     "What upon the banners?" He asked, taking a step closer to her.

     Rosaline gulped, engulfed by the smell of musk and vanilla. "They were black, and a bird was carved upon them. They came from the north, raining hell."

     He seemed to think, his golden brows creased with tension. "What else?"

     She shook her head, "I don't remember after that."

     It was a lie, but she doubted herself because perhaps she'd actually dreamt of a tall man riding across a dark, dry field upon his massive horse and offering her a hand. Not Julek, or his parents or his councilmen, but her. She didn't remember his face, or what he looked like, but he didn't seem hostile. Perhaps she'd dreamt of her late father.

      Out of her minute reverie, Rosaline looked up to meet Julek's gaze. It was tensed and distant, yet warm.

      She was grateful of him. He seemed to be the only person in his place who didn't resent her, didn't judge her. Dark thoughts graced her mind and she shook them away. If only she could leave this place, leave behind Jina and her mindless courtiers. Coming here had been a mistake. But she didn't have a choice back then.

     Julek hummed, then gave her a curt nod. "I'll see what I can do. If you've seen something like this, I'm sure it'll eventually turn real." His voice was grim, low enough for only her to hear. Something shimmered in his eyes, something like a secret, but it was gone in a heartbeat. "Don't worry, I'll make sure your dreams never turn real this time."

     He raised a hand gently and Rosaline had to fight the urge to flinch.

     He might have noticed something for his eyes creased again. "Are you well?" He asked, grazing her cheek with soft finger. "You look pale."

     She stared at him, at how beautiful he looked as the settling sum casted glows of gold and orange upon his ivory face. His golden hair—darker than hers—were slicked back, pale blue eyes holding her gaze. He truly was the Golden Prince.

     She nodded, another lie. "I am."

     He hummed softly, taking another step ahead. Rosaline retreated to the railing edge, heat rushing up her neck and nestling into her ears.

     Very gently, he twirled a stray strand of her hair around his fingers, moving his face closer to her as he trapped her between his arms and the high railing.

      "I know you don't always tell me the truth," he whispered. "I know you hide more than you say. I know how much of a risk you took in telling me about your gift. I respect that, and rest assured, I will take this secret to my grave. But, I would love it if you shared parts of your life with me, Rose. Your pain, your joy. I want you to share."

     She stayed silent, enamoured by the way he looked at her, with warmth and affection. As if he truly was happy to see her.

     If only she could tell him that she felt the same.

     He brought the strand of her hair to his lips, kissing it. "I wish I could tell my parents about you."

     Rosaline looked down at her hands, fingers slightly bruised from all the useless stitching Jina made her do. "You shouldn't. They'll never accept what we have, Jul."

Friendship? Love? She didn't know what they shared, only that his sight made her heart flutter and he made her want to burst with happiness.

     At that, he chuckled and let go of her hair. He dipped his head and kissed her forehead, caressing her face with his fingers. "You need not worry for that, my dear. I've planned a future for us, for you and me, far away from the eyes of this court."

     She smiled and despite the fact that he was so close to her she could've bursted, she felt joy flooding her hollow chest. Perhaps it was love hidden behind the veils of a kind friendship.

     Perhaps, with the blessing of the Goddess, she'd find happiness.

     "Hence, I ask you, my love, my dearest Rose," he said, looking right into her soul, "Would you like to share not parts but your life with me? Just us two, happy? Will you marry me?"

•••••

Oh well, I hate flashbacks. But, I hope you liked this one. I thought I needed to add this because it spoke more of Rosaline's present behaviours.
I hope I'm making things clear.
Will update soon.
Vote, comment and share.
Shirina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
1.7K 36 22
Imagine a world where you and the person you've admired since childhood are to be trapped inside an invisible box. A supernatural barrier that stops...
8.7M 351K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...
8.8K 766 44
(Book One) Believed to be the descendants of Angels, the winged ones have ruled Engeldom for centuries, taking humans as their slaves. When Alina's c...