Once upon a Princess (Atypica...

Av siesie_19

If you've come expecting a fairytale about Prince Charming, Fairy Godmothers, and evil parents; You may look... Mer

A/N (VERY IMPORTANT)!!!! SERIOUSLY!
CAST
1. Sister,Sister
2.Bump in the road
3. Good Samaritans
4. Adjusting
5. Hartley Household
6. Princess and the Hunter
7. Nice to Meet You
9. Me.
10. Truth or..?
11. Books Before Boys
12. All the Right Moves
13. Not a Party till the Princess shows up
14. Hangovers and Realizations
15. Tangled?
16. But... I can't
17. A familiar face
18. Judas
19. Missing Piece
20. Back to Square one
21. Let Bygones be Bygones
22. Birthday Celebrations 1.1
23. Birthday Celebrations 1.2
24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3
25. Birthday Celebrations 1.4
26. Can I get a refund?
27. Am I a Monster?
28. The First Stage
29. The Accomplice
30. My Achilles Heel
31. Crash and Burn?
32. I don't have a horse
33. Bee-moon?
34. Welcome Back 1.1
35.Welcome Back 1.2
36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas
37. It's Christmas!
38. The Runaways
39. Lock me up
40. I Promise
EPILOGUE
Bonus (1)
Bonus (2)
A/N

8. Swing-Sets and Skills

548 75 107
Av siesie_19

ALEXA

Tuesday 17th July

I woke up the next day to Shaniah peering over me, nudging me every other second.
"Wakey wakey sleepy head," She cooed, smiling down at me. I noticed that she was wearing one of Isaac's shirts that merely fell at her upper thigh.
I groaned as I sat up, opening my eyes wider to adjust to the light.
Nate's bed was empty. I thought back to the night before, and how we had practically fought for the bed that I was on. I obviously knew that he let me win because he was much stronger than I was.

I was a mere foot away from leaping onto the bed when Nate's arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. I squirmed in his grasp, and he used this opportunity to shuffle towards the bed while holding me captive.
I elbowed him in his stomach and he let me go instantly. I lunged for the bed, but Nate-although clutching his stomach lunged as well. We landed the same time, Nate's leg kicking out accidentally as he landed, contacting my face.
"Ow!"
"Oh shit! Sorry, Lex. Hey! Actually, I retract my apology. At least mine was an accident. I think you elbowed my stomach out of place,"
I let out a fit of giggles at this and Nate paused, narrowing his eyes at me.
"Oh, so that's funny?"
"Quite,"
Before I knew it, he launched himself at me, and his hands were at my sides tickling me till I found it hard to breathe.
My cheeks started to hurt from laughing too hard and tears were streaming down my face.
I pushed him away, causing him to falter and fall back into the pillow. He glanced at the pillow behind him and smirked at me, before outstretching himself across the bed. His long legs fell across my lap.
"I believe I won,"
I shoved his feet off of my lap and stood up. "Wrong,"
He gestured to the pillow under his head.
"I can easily fix that,"
Nate tried his best to maintain a poker face, but I saw through it, he faltered for a second and saw a flicker of uncertainty.
I bent over and reached for his arm and as I was expecting, he sat up, so that he was kneeling and clutched my hand.
"Not so fast," He growled, his eyes twinkling in amusement.
As fast as lightning, I used my other hand and the weight of my shoulder, to judo-flip him over my shoulder.
Luckily, he landed with a soft thud on the lush carpet beside my feet.
I smugly jumped onto the bed and sat cross-legged, while smiling sweetly down at him.
He shook his head as he pulled himself up and actually smiled at me.
"Judo-flipped by a princess. Nice,"
I wiggled my finger at him, " I told you. I always get what I want,"
He glanced at my cheek where his foot had made contact," I didn't hurt you did I?"
"I'm fine. You're not hurt, are you?"
"Only my ego," He muttered, stalking off towards his bed.
He peeled his shirt off and slipped under the covers in a single motion.
"Oh, you'd get over it," I teased.
"Goodnight Princess,"

"Why are you smiling?"
I snapped out of my flashback and glanced at Shaniah who was observing me with a questioning look.
"It's nothing. Let's get some breakfast," I assured her, stumbling out of bed.

~~~
After we both ate breakfast and took a shower, Shaniah took my hand and led me out the back door.
I surveyed the backyard. There was a beautiful garden to one side that held daisies, echinaceas and beautiful blue flowers that I have never seen before. To the left, I noticed an old swing set. Not too far from the set, was the gate, that led out the path that Isaac had mentioned led to town.

Shaniah- now dressed in another one of Isaac's shirts that she had tied up and her shorts that she been wearing the night before, skipped over to the swing set.

"Hey, where is everyone?"
Shaniah closed her eyes, as she kicked off the ground and sent her self-swinging.

"Arianna's still sleeping I think. Cindy left just as I woke you up and the boys went to town to run some errands,"

"Oh."
"Don't sound so disappointed, I don't think I'm that bad of company,"
My eyes widened at her comment, and I saw that hers were open now and dancing in amusement.
"I was just kidding,"
She dug her heel into the grass, halting the swing.
"You want a turn?"
I nodded, shuffling my way over.
She got up and shifted so that I could have slid into the wooden seat.
She moved behind me and gave the swing a starting push.
"I didn't even know they had a swing back here," I commented, as I closed my eyes and enjoyed the rush of wind on my face.
I felt the swing, rock backward towards Shaniah, and she sent it forwards again, with a stronger push.

"Their dad built it when Isaac was much younger," Shaniah explained.
I thought back to the first night when Cindy had brought me into her room and I saw a picture of who I had assumed was her husband.
No one really spoke about him, but I had pretty much grasped the fact that when Arianna was born, he had passed a few days before.

"Do they talk about him a lot?"

Shaniah stayed silent for a while and I began to fear that I had intruded.
She gave my swing another forceful push, "Isaac talks about him from time to time, he misses him like crazy. Poor Arianna is the opposite. She has not one memory of him to hold onto,"
I noticed she didn't speak about Nate, but I decided to not question it. Nate was pretty self-reserved. Any emotions or grief he must have felt for his father, I'm sure he kept it hidden.

"So," Shaniah gave a grunt, as she pushed the swing forcefully.
I felt myself fly forward and closed my eyes, clasping onto the rope handles.

"How come you haven't decided to get back yet?" She continued, releasing a labored breath.
Isaac had probably filled her in on how I was staying there, the night before.
As my swing, returned towards Shaniah, I dug my heel into the grass, stopping the momentum and got off.
I gestured for her to sit and she happily obliged.
I pushed the small of her back gently and sent the swing forwards, to a steady momentum.

"I don't know. I just don't feel right going back," I said, finally answering.
She let out a scoff, and I pushed her again, this time with a little more force.
"You're the princess, the country needs you,".

I bitterly shook my head at her words even though she couldn't have seen me and shoved the swing with too much intensity. It shot forward, and Shaniah's body rocked forward, if she hadn't been holding onto the handles, she would have flown off.

"I'm sorry," I gasped, frowning at my hands as if they were solely responsible.
She dug her heels into the grass and turned her body around to face me.
She was smiling.
"It's okay. Probably shouldn't have said that. Sorry if I triggered you,"

I simply smiled back at her. Sure, Shaniah was nice, but I couldn't bring myself to explain my reasoning for staying with her.
"How long have you and Isaac been together?"
If Shaniah caught on that I decided to change the subject, she didn't care. Her eyes softened, and her cheeks reddened along with her ears.

"Since senior year, so two months ago made it five years,"
"Five years?" I choked, she nodded, a grin speeding unto her face.

"I couldn't ask for anyone better," She gushed, rocking the swing slightly.

My heart stung at Shaniah's words and I fought down the bitterness that was creeping its way into my chest. I was not going to be jealous of their beautiful relationship. They deserved each other. But I couldn't help but long for someone that I truly loved and cared for and I knew that the same was being reciprocated.

"How do you know when you love someone?"
She furrowed her brows then chuckled uneasily, "Rethinking if you truly love that Graham guy after he left you in the forest, huh?"

"Graham and I aren't-" I blurted out, I tried to stop myself in time, but it was too late.

"Aren't?" Shaniah prompted. Her brown eyes caught the sunlight, giving it a beautiful hazel glow.

"Well, we don't necessarily love each other. At least I don't think we don't,"

Shaniah remained silent for a few minutes, possibly contemplating how to answer.

"I don't know, you just do. If you find yourself questioning if you truly love someone, then you don't,".

I nodded. She confirmed my thoughts. I felt nothing for Graham.

"Why are you with Graham if you guys don't love each other?'

"My dad suggested it would have been good for publicity. Considering the whole Josiah fiasco."

Realization dawned on her features. "Ohhh, that time that you were found with a guy in a ball! That's the Josiah from the story last night?"

"Yeah. But I truly accepted the idea of courting Graham at first, because he was very attractive and seemed romantic,"

"And then?"

"There's just nothing more. He's probably a great guy, just not for me. I've been planning to break it off for months, but I was just afraid of what Father might think,"

"I'm so sorry,"

I glanced up at Shaniah, and she held a genuine sympathetic gaze. I smiled.

"It's okay, that's my life I guess,"

Shaniah's head spun around as a sound emitted from the back door of the house, and Isaac emerged, scanning the yard. When his eyes landed on Shaniah, they immediately softened, a smile forming unto his face.

"Hey babe," He walked over to where she was sitting and placed a kiss on her forehead. She blushed under his affection and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Nate stumbled out the house and into the yard, his eyes searching just as Isaac had done. I waved my arms and got his attention and he immediately grinned as he approached us.

"You guys finished with errands?"

Both brothers nodded, and Isaac lifted Shaniah off the swing, only to slide into it, pulling her back onto his lap.

"Mom sent us to pay some bills and get a few groceries," Nate explained.

Isaac kicked off, sending the swing in a steady momentum. We all remained in silence, enjoying the beautiful sounds of nature around us.

"So, what do you guys want to do today?"

Isaac turned to his girlfriend who had asked the question, and flicked her nose playfully, "Don't you have work in the next few hours?"

Shaniah slipped her tiny slim phone out of her shorts' pocket and clicked the home button.

"It's already eleven," She groaned.

"Where do you work?" I asked it had completely slipped my mind that Shaniah and Isaac were older than I was. They acted like such teenagers, that the fact slipped my mind frequently.

"I'm a part-time barista at the cafe downtown."

"Delilah's?"

"Yup! I'm also doing business classes at the community college,"

At those words, Isaac stiffened noticeably and Shaniah's eyes narrowed into tiny slits at him.

"I've been begging Isaac to join for two years now, get him started somewhere, but he wouldn't budge,"

"I don't want to go to that cruddy community college babe. You know I rather I went to Vista," He grumbled. He stopped the swing's momentum and glared at the bush of daisies across the yard.

'The school for I.T?"

Nate grinned and patted Isaac's back, "Isaac's a bloody scholar at it. It's too bad that cruddy high school couldn't have given him a scholarship,"

I sucked in a breath. Vista Vinci was a well-known prestigious college. It offered art programs and social sciences, but it was mainly known for its excellent Information Technology program.

Nate shoved his hands into his khakis and gave me a sheepish expression, "I wanted to go to Vista too, I only graduated last year but we don't have that kind of money for to send us both,"

"What program would you pursue?"

His smile grew wider, "Psychology,

"Ah, I see," My chest started to hurt at the sight of Isaac's unsmiling face. The sight was so nerving.

Arianna's head popped out of the back door and she waved at all of us.
"Isaac, can you take me into town?"
Isaac frowned, but his eyes were still softened at the sight of his little sister. I could tell that they had a really close bond.
"If you weren't fast asleep this morning, you could have gone to town with Nate and I this morning,"
She huffed and placed her hands on her hips, "Okay but I wanna go now,"

Isaac grumbled something under his breath and Shaniah slid off his lap, so he could get off the swing.
"I'll come too, I have to go to work soon anyway. See you soon Alexa!"

Nate shook his head at his little sister who sent a mischievous wink in return, "You're pretty spoiled, you know that right?"
Arianna grinned, confirming Nate's statement and sauntered back inside as Isaac and Shaniah followed. Shortly after, the three returned to the yard-Shaniah waved eagerly at me before following Arianna and Isaac out of the gate and down the grassy path that led into town.

I skipped over to the swing and went to kick my foot, to set it in motion when I felt a forceful push to the small of my back.
The swing flew into motion and I smiled as I closed my eyes, enjoying the rush.

As I swung backward towards Nate, I glanced over my shoulder at his face.
His bruise seemed to look a bit better, and his eyes looked livelier.
"Having fun checking me out?" He pushed the swing gently.

I stuck my tongue out at him, "I was just checking on your bruise,"

He chuckled before running a finger along the long-swollen strip of skin.

"It's been only a day but trust me it feels much better,"
I smiled at him before turning to face the daisies once again, as he gave me another gentle push.

"What you should be checking on, is my shoulder and ego after that badass judo flip you did last night,"
I couldn't stop the fit of laughter that escaped me, and I nearly stumbled out of the swing.

I dug my heel into the grass, stopping its movement and sat on the grass so that I was facing Nate. Seeing that I had moved from the swing, he as well, moved to the grass and sprawled across it on his back.

"That's the second time I've shown you that I shouldn't be messed with, within a week," I teased, nudging his side with my foot.
His head turned towards me, and in the presence of the sunlight, the golden specks in his iris seemed to illuminate, making his eyes sparkle even more.

"Because I've been letting you win,"
I scoffed, "Uh, sure. I won fair and square. Why on earth would you let me win?"
"Because you're our guest,"

"Psshtt, just admit you're a bit bitter that you lost to a girl,"

He blinked slowly before his eyes shuttered close.
"I'm not bitter, I'm impressed actually, you've got some skills,"

"Why thank you, glad to know you're not one of those guys with sexist views,"
His eyes stayed closed as he let out a low chuckle.

We stayed in silence for a long while, before I decided to break it,
"Nate?"
"Yeah, Lex?"

"Tell me about yourself," I laid on my stomach on the grass and looked across at his sprawled body.

His eyes flickered open and they squinted, adjusting to the sunlight," What do you want to know?"

I shrugged, but I probably looked like an oversized worm wriggling, due to me laying on the grass.

"How about," He shifted closer to me, his back still on the grass, "I tell you three things and you have to guess which one the lie is,"

"Okay sure, bring it on!"

He made a show of stroking his chin for a few seconds before his eyes lit up, " I don't know how to swim, I'm ambidextrous and I can touch my nose with my tongue,"

I immediately found myself giggling at Nate's statements, he looked over at me and began to chuckle as well.

"Well I don't know about you being ambidextrous, but I definitely know that that the last thing was a lie,"

Nate sat up then, sitting in a cross-legged position and faced me. In one swift movement, his smile grew into a smirk, before his tongue slithered out of his lips and touched the bottom of his nose. It merely touched, but it was a lot more than most people were able to do.

I felt my jaw drop in horror as he retracted his tongue and gave me a teasing look, "I'm part-reptile," He chuckled.

"Obviously," I shuddered, "I didn't know if to be impressed or horrified by that,"

"You should be very impressed." He grinned, flashing me another cheeky grin.

Then another thought flashed through my mind, "Wait! So which one was the lie?"

He gave me a sheepish smile, "I'm not ambidextrous. Me not being able to swim was true,"

"So, you're part-reptile but you can't swim?" I giggled.

He rolled his eyes and huffed, "Whatever. It's your turn."

I contemplated the three statements that I would have told him for a few minutes before I spoke, " I'm flexible, I'm deathly afraid of planes and I'm allergic to peanuts,"

Nate's eyes locked with mine and his eyebrows lowered as he pondered over my statements.

After what seemed like two minutes, his eyes lit up and his smile returned, "I highly doubt you'd be seriously afraid of planes considering you're in another country every other month for some ball or meeting."

My face stayed blank, I didn't want to give off any reactions.

He nodded to himself before speaking, "Yeah, that's the lie. You aren't really afraid of planes,"

"Wrong!"

His eyes bulged, "But- you're in a freaking plane, more times in a year than a flight attendant!"

I narrowed my eyes at him at this exaggeration.

"Okay, maybe not so much. But it's definitely frequently." He pointed out.

"I have no other choice, princess responsibilities," I shrugged.

He grimaced before offering me a half-smile, "That must be really tough,"

Deciding to move on from the topic, I faked a smile, before speaking up,

"Anyway, the last one was a lie. I'm not allergic to peanuts."

His brows scrunched together as his head tipped to the side, "You're flexible?"

Wordlessly, I sat up so that my legs were lying flat on the grass, and I took my left one in my hand and effortlessly lifted it to behind my head. Thankfully I was wearing shorts.

Nate's jaw dropped but he quickly closed it as his eyes continued to glaze over me in astonishment. It was a simple trick, I was able to do more complex moves than what I had displayed.

I lowered my leg and tucked it under me as Nate clapped his hands slowly, his eyes blazing with admiration.

"I'm impressed."

"It's a simple trick," I shrugged, flicking an ant that had crawled its way onto my leg away.

"My turn again?"

I nodded, feeling excited about his next three statements. I had to admit, this game was entertaining and in turn, I got to learn more about my roommate.

"I'm amazing at soccer, I can speak French fluently and I can ride a motorcycle."

"All of them are lies."

Nate doubled over in laughter, his entire face reddening. I found myself giggling as well, due to his infectious laughter,

When he finally sobered, he wiped his eyes before speaking, "As unbelievable as it seems, two out of the three are true."

"Hm. The motorcycle one is a lie? Wait- no! The soccer one is a lie."

His eyes twinkled in amusement, "Correct. I suck at soccer,"

I completely ignored this and marveled at the thought of the other two truths, " You can speak French fluently and ride a motorcycle. Wow."

He sent me a wink, "C'est exact."

Considering that Celayise was a small country; that mainly spoke Latvian and English, persons fluent in other languages weren't common. Isabelle and I, however, were trained since the age of three to speak multiple languages, as it was required in order to communicate and host other Royals from around the world.

"And where on earth did you learn to ride a motorcycle?"

"Isaac has one, he used to keep it around here but since Chase's car broke down recently, he lent it to him."

"I think you guys need the motorcycle a little bit more than Chase," I said, gesturing to the path that started behind the gate.

'Well. Isaac obviously thought Chase needed it more."

There was no mistaking the bitterness that seemed to seep from his sentence, but I decided not to question it further.

"Can we go back inside now? My butt is cramping,"

I laughed while nodding at Nate's complaint. He quickly scampered from the grass and dusted off his khaki shorts.

I stood up as well and dusted blades of grass from my legs. "I am pretty hungry,"

Nate turned to smile at me as we entered the house through the back door, "Great so you can fix us a snack."

"What happened to the whole, 'You're our special guest' act?", I locked the door behind us and poked his chest teasingly as I said this.

"You've been here for a whole week now, you're practically one of us. Now can I have a sandwich please?"

"Fais le toi-même," I teased, walking away from him. He immediately pouted as I had told him to 'Do it yourself'.

"So, are we going to be communicating in French now?" He asked, shuffling over to the fridge.

"I hope not, I don't frequently speak French, it hurts my brain to remember some words,"

He shook his head and placed a box of milk and a bowl on the counter. He stretched for the box of Cocoa Puffs that was in the cupboard.

He poured the milk in, to half of its capacity before throwing in the cereal.

"Ugh!"

His eyes flickered towards me and they squinted, "What?"

"You put milk before cereal?"

His eyes narrowed into tiny slits as he stood up straight, "Please don't tell me you're one of those that puts their cereal in first,"

Putting my hands on my hips, it was my turn to narrow my eyes, "Yes I am. It's the right and only way to do it,"

He wrinkled his nose and shuffled over to the dining table with his bowl.

"I guess you like soggy cereal," he shuddered.

"We don't allow it to get soggy obviously. If you do it your way, you constantly have to keep adding cereal to the bowl," I argued.

"At least it's not soggy," He said, shoveling a spoonful into his mouth.

"Your points are weak," I laughed, taking a seat opposite to him.

He wrinkled his nose again at me, "Can't believe my roommate is one of those forsaken persons who puts cereal first,"

His eyes locked with mine for a millisecond before they flittered away, a smile forming on his face, "I might just have to carry you back home. Can't live with you anymore,"

"Oh, shut up and eat your cereal. Part-reptile,"

"As you say, Princess."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Which team do you belong to?

Milk first?

Cereal first?

I personally pour my milk first, hehe I'm with Nate on this one.

Hope you enjoyed this adorable chapter :)

I'd appreciate if you continue to show love :*

~Sierra

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

17.3K 1K 43
Cinderella has found her prince and the Enchanted Kingdom is flourishing, but in a land far, far away...there's another kingdom that's seriously miss...
A Royal Mess Av Ananya

Ungdomsfiksjon

1.7K 174 31
Alexis is an ordinary girl with a normal life until she encounters a prince and discovers a bewildering secret. Now Alexis Parker is a mess or shall...
778K 25.4K 41
The Princetons and the Lockes. It's an enmity of decades. And so the tradition continues when it comes to Venus and Caden. A prince and a leader's da...
26 2 9
*I changed the story a bit so please reread this info if you read it before 10/11.* In a magnificent kingdom, Princess Athena and Prince Alexan...