Transparent: A Divergent FanF...

By Gatubellina

"Truth makes us transparent..." In sixteen-year old Sage Stronghold's world, civilization has been divided in... More

Transparent: A Divergent FanFiction (Book One)
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue
~

Chapter 25

13K 499 149
By Gatubellina

                “What the hell?” Dan muttered angrily beside me. “How did they get it all the way up there?”

                The flag swayed tauntingly and as I squinted my eyes, I realized what was holding it in its place. The handle of a knife was wedging into the wooden part of the coaster rails; keeping the fabric from fluttering free and falling down.

                How was that even possible? No one could throw a knife that far, much less get it to stick.

                I turned to my team, and was surprised to see the look of guilt on Biff and Jude’s faces. I narrowed my eyes, and motioned for them to follow me; I didn’t want our whispering to alert the other team of our proximity.

                Once we were far enough that I was sure we wouldn’t be heard, I wheeled around and glowered at the pair.

                “How did they manage to get their flag up there?” I demanded.

                Jude darted a glance at Biff, and then clenched his jaw; unwilling to speak.

                “What makes you think they know?” Finn asked in defense of his friends; he obviously hadn’t caught on to the fact that they weren’t as innocent as he thought them to be.

                Randi stepped around me, and I half expected her to side with them as well, so I was surprised when I saw her narrow her eyes at Biff; her face set in a scowl. “What did you do?”

                Regardless of his immense size; when faced with the sudden fury of Randi, Biff looked about the same as any other chastised child. Hanging his head in shame, he muttered something unintelligible as he scuffed his shoe against the dirt. I didn’t catch what he said, but Finn must’ve heard enough, because a second later he’d wheeled around and grabbed Biff by the collar of his jacket.

               “You taught Marko what?” Finn exclaimed.

                Biff burned a bright red, and he stared helplessly at the faces of our team. “I-I didn’t know he’d use it to cheat.” He stuttered.

                “Use what to cheat?” Dan and I demanded in unison.

                Finn released Biff, and answered for him in a tone that told me he was mortified at what they’d done. “Umm, okay, so have you ever heard of or used a potato gun?” Finn asked as his lips turned into a frown.

                Dan and I shook our heads, but Randi seemed to understand what he meant because a moment later she was scowling even harder at Biff and Jude.

                “Well, they’re exactly what they sound like; they’re guns that shoot potatoes. We learned how to make them when we were kids so we could blow out windows on some of the abandoned buildings in the factionless sector.” Finn said.

                “Okay, and exactly what do weapon-ized vegetables have to do with capture the flag?” Dan asked impatiently.

                Finn sighed and then ribbed Jude to step forward.

                Jude sighed and explained. “Well for fun, we thought we’d modify it so that it could shoot daggers instead of potatoes. You know, so it would be more dauntless.” He hung his head. “We didn’t have the right pieces we needed though, so we made a deal with Marko. He’d get us the things we needed in exchange for the knowledge of how to make one.”

                My mouth dropped as I finally understood what they’d done. Marko, wanting to win at whatever cost, must’ve brought his modified gun with him and used it to stake the flag to the most unreachable place he’d found. They’d win no matter what. They must’ve known that even if we found their flag, we’d never be able to reach it, and then they’d be able to use the time they had to find our own location.

                “I can’t believe you two.” Randi hissed. “You can’t be left alone with mere potato guns, but you think Marko can be trusted with something that could actually kill you? Idiots!”

                All at once, everyone burst into tense conversation; momentarily reminding me of a candor debate. Jude and Biff were attempting to justify themselves, while Finn, Randi and Dan were squabbling about what they’d done, and how now it was probably certain that we’d lost.

                I sighed; feeling nostalgic as I remembered my old faction. Sitting down on the edge of one of the benches nearby, I stared at the sky, the moon, the ominous clouds; taking in all of our surroundings. It bothered me to think we’d come so close, only to have to turn tail and run back to defend our flag. How unfair, to have the win so close, yet so far.

                No. I would not accept failure. I’d changed to dauntless for a reason, and I was attempting to embrace their way of thinking above all else. Losing was not an option.

                I had yet to form a plan, but already I was on my feet and heading back to the roller coaster. Quickly, but with utmost stealth, I made my way to a large booth nearby and scoped out the area. I had to think of something, anything.

                “Sage?” a voice whispered behind me.

                I didn’t pause; wheeling on my heel, I leaned forward and nearly tackled the figure before I realized who it was. “Good God Dan, you scared the shit out of me.”

                Dan chuckled quietly, and I saw a hint of his white smile in the darkness. “Saw you leave and I figured you had a plan. Thought you’d need some back up.”

                “Not yet,” I admitted sheepishly. “But I will, I refuse to believe there’s no possible way for us to win.”

                Dan’s grin spread wider, and I saw him rub his hands together in excitement. “I’m in. Even if we lose, at least we’ll know we gave it a go.”

                I nodded and then turned to try and make out the figures. There were five; one I was certain was Banks, and the other Marko, the other three I couldn’t be sure. They were all huddled near an old toy kiosk, and didn’t seem particularly worried. Those cocky imbeciles thought they had us beat.

                Staring at the flag, I trailed my eyes from the slope, down to where the actual cars were stationed beside a large control panel. Suddenly, an idea hit me.

                “Dan,” I whispered urgently, “do you think that by any chance-“

                “The power?” Dan interrupted, his thoughts already catching up to my own. “It could be on, but it’d be a big risk.”

                He was right, the control panel and cars were out in the open, completely exposed. If the power wasn’t on we’d be basically handing ourselves over to the other team. Here we are! Right in a silver platter. Proceed to slaughter us as you deem fit!

                But if it was on…

                “We have to try,” I insisted.

                Dan nodded, and I saw the resolution in his eyes. “I’m with you man.”

               Our plan, though not the best, would have to do. Dan would sneak over to the rollercoaster’s control panel and I’d stay in the shadows to cover him if they saw that he was there. If the power came on, I’d then race to the car, with Dan covering my back, and jump in. My hope was that I’d be able to grab the flag as the car passed by, and then jump out when Dan stopped the ride.

                “Ready?” I asked as I quietly cocked my gun.

                Dan nodded, and then a few seconds later he was gone. I kept an eye on him, ready to fire at any sign that the other team had seen him. Slinking through the shadows, I had to admit I was honestly impressed with the stealth he demonstrated. When he finally reached the controls, I couldn’t help but wince as I heard the echo of the clicks as he tried to fiddle with the machine to make it work; he was making too much noise.

                Suddenly, a whir of gears and electricity surged, and some of the lights around the coaster began to blink to life. Without hesitating, I broke into a sprint, heading straight for the first car. Shouts came from somewhere to my left, but I didn’t stop.

                I nearly reached my destination when a shot whizzed by my ear. I pivoted, and a splat of blue exploded a few inches away from my face.

                “Go Sage, go, go!” Dan shouted, and I heard the return fire. “It’s on! Get in!”

                Jumping up, I ran a few more steps and then dove headfirst into the car.

                “I’m in Dan! Start it!” I called out between gasps.

                Dan shouted something back, but it was drowned out by the clamor of the other team. Crap! We were totally outnumbered. Why hadn’t I bothered to inform the others? Why had I not stopped to think things through? It was too late for regrets. Flinging my gun behind my back, I tried to pull the metal safety restraint over my chest. Shit! It wouldn’t budge.

               I yanked and yanked, but it stayed rusted in place. I was about to try and fashion a sort of seat-belt with the strap of my gun when the car suddenly lurched forward. It was moving. I gripped the edges of the seat and decided I’d be fine; all I had to do was jump off before the coaster came to the upside-down loop.

                The car picked up speed fast, and as I whizzed by, I heard the shouts of someone.

                “What the hell is he doing?” I heard Randi screech.

                I didn’t have a chance to catch more though, because suddenly the rails were flying by. The flag, that had once seemed so far, was now only seconds away. Rapid gunfire echoed under me as the car began to speed upwards, and then faded when the churning of the metal wheels overpowered it. My stomach lurched, and my pulse raced.

                My hands were clammy, and it felt like my heart was ready to beat its way out of my chest. I’d only have one shot. Sitting up, I blinked against the wind and then leaned out at the last possible second as the flag came into view. For an instant, it felt like time had stopped; the flag, my hand, the height and dangerous speed.

                I had it!

                Gripping the fabric as hard as I could, I yanked the flag free from the knife and then let out a crow of delight as I waved it above my head. We’d done it. We’d won.

                I threw my head back and laughed; bathing in the pride of the win. The wind pushed against my hair, and I shut my eyes for a second. Victory, which had seemed so impossible, had been attained. Was this an omen? That no matter how unattainable something seemed, if you tried, anything was possible?

                I was still lost in a haze of optimistic thoughts when suddenly, a sharp stinging caught me on the back. What? We’d won, why were they still shooting? I groaned and wiped at the paint with my hand.

                “Sage- got to-off!” Someone shouted from below.

                I stared at my hand, and it was then I really paid attention; because I hadn’t been shot by the other team, but by my own. I craned my head and saw both groups on the ground, like ants, they scurried back and forth frantically. A couple of them even seemed to be trying to tear down an old tent.

                “I can’t hear you!” I yelled.

                “The rails-broken-going to fall!” Randi yelled.

                “What?”

                “-jump out-before-or die!” Dan yelled.

                I’d heard enough. I saw the figures point, and as I looked ahead I felt my mouth go dry. My blood seemed to drain, and I was left feeling cold. The railing that the coaster ran on had seemed perfectly fine at first sight, but now that I was on it, I could see just how wrong I was.

                “Crap!” I scrambled in my seat and barely managed to hold on to the edges as the coaster dipped down suddenly, then sharply rose back up. I was going to throw up. I swallowed hard, and felt sweat run down my back.

                Up ahead, after a dangerous-looking loop and down a steep hill, the railing suddenly deteriorated and left a gap the size of a small house. If I didn’t jump out, the car would fall through, taking me with it. There was no way I’d survive a fall from this height.

                “Can’t stop-malfunction!” I faintly heard Finn bellow.

                The coaster continued to climb, and as I saw the loop-de-loop come up, I braced myself. The car shuddered and sped up, and I clenched my muscles in anticipation of what was to come.

                Suddenly, my body was wrenched up, and all my muscles were straining hard against gravity as the car circled the loop. I was upside down. I gasped, and nearly hyperventilated when I looked up -or rather down- and saw the faces of everyone flash by in a whirl. Mercifully, the loop lasted only for a few seconds, and my stomach was once again where it should be.

                “-gonna slow it down-one chance-have to jump!” I heard Finn bellow.

               I understood the message, even though most of his words had been eaten away by the screaming winds. My hands were shaking, and I could hear the blood pound behind my ears, but I held on. I had to. The coaster’s brakes squealed in protest as the car attempted to slow down. The smell of burning metal filled my nose. I knew I had to leap in three, two, one…

                The car reached the lowest point, slowed for an instant, and I took the opportunity to hurl myself to the side. It was still high, but if I died, I’d rather it be by my own hand than because of a freak accident.

                Wind rushed past me, and as I fell, I remembered back to when I’d leapt off the building and into the dauntless compound. I’d wondered then if I was mad, and now, I was sure I had to be. My eyes were wide as I continued to plummet down; I refused to look away.

               The ground rushed up, but even thorough the panic I remembered to act. In less than a second, I’d reached behind me and managed to whip my gun. As I fell, I was able to reach out and catch it on one of the metal beams that crisscrossed. The rifle caught; pulling me to a jarring stop, but I didn’t even have time to sigh in relief.

                A sharp crack snapped, and the barrel of the gun folded with the force of the fall and my weight. Again I was airborne, and this time, I had nothing to stop me. My mom, dad, Mara, Dan, everyone’s faces flashed before me as I continued to plummet. This was it; this was how I’d die. No, this couldn’t be. No, no, no! It couldn’t end this way.

                I squeezed my eyes tight, angry and frustrated, and hoped my death would at least be quick.

                I waited for the pain, but it didn’t come. The air rushed out of my lungs, and I felt my body sink, and then suddenly lurch back up into the air. I opened my eyes, and as I fell again, I saw what had caught me –no, not whatwho had caught me.

                Holding various corners of a giant red and white checked fabric, I saw the faces of my team and the others as I gave a final bounce. Somehow, they’d managed to approximate where I’d land and stretch out the cloth to save me from my fall; using it as a sort of hammock.

                I was alive. The realization came at me like a slap, and I was suddenly overwhelmed. Rather than break down and blubber like a child, I let my head loll back and forth as I broke into a fit of laughter. My body felt weak and flimsy, as if I had no bones, and I was sure if I were to try and get up I’d just fall over.

                I closed my eyes, and my stomach ached as I continued to roll with laughter. I could feel my body touch the ground as they lowered the fabric, but still I refused to look. I was nearly in hysterics, when I suddenly heard her.

                “Sage! Damn it! Stop laughing and answer me!” Randi’s voice broke through. I felt her, she was shaking my shoulders. “Are you hurt? Christ, what were you thinking?”

                I stopped laughing; letting my arms droop and my body relax as much as I could. I was quivering and twitching, arm, legs, fingers; the adrenaline kept my body wound and tight, like a spring. I had to control myself, I would not snap, not after surviving  a stunt of that caliber.

                “Is he dead?” I heard a voice whisper.

                “No! No, he’s not dead!” Dan answered angrily. I felt something brush my arm, and then Dan was shaking me roughly. “Wake up! You are not doing this to me!”

                I groaned, and lazily tried to shove him away. “M’fine,” I tried to say; wanting him to stop adding to the dizziness I already felt.

                “He’s waking up!” Biff exclaimed.

                I moaned, and finally willed myself to open my eyes. There, in front of me, I saw nothing more than deep pools of shimmering hazel; warm and inviting. I let myself get lost in their depths. Randi was centimeters from my face, long hair cascading around me like a shield, and her brow furrowed in worry. The distance was almost intimate. I breathed, and she sighed softly as she ran a hand over my cheek.

                “You’re okay?” she breathed.

                “Yes,” I whispered back.

                Suddenly, my wounds, the crowd, it all didn’t matter as I continued to gaze up at her. It was probably only a matter of seconds, but I felt lost in an eternity of her. I felt safe. I grinned at her, and she softly smiled back.

                Then something shifted, and I saw mask she hid behind spread over her features. She jerked her hand away, and in one motion, she slapped me.

                “You idiot!”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

293K 6.2K 42
❝ I knew, from that moment on, that nobody could ever confess, they love me, without the splintered thought of you running through my mind. Consciou...
1K 17 20
~CURENTLY UNDERGOING REWRITING~ A girl that wants to fit in - a woman that needs to stand out. Everyone knows that opposites attract, but what happe...
26.8K 468 19
"You thought that you made me weak and vunerable. Wrong, I got stronger" I say with so much hatred while I am holding him over the Chasm. He is tryin...
29.5K 580 35
ALLEGIANT SPOILERS! After Tris's death, Tobias goes to see her in the weapons lab. When he gets there, he realizes that he went only to be greeted wi...