Here's To Us *Damned Coda* Ma...

Bởi Anika_Ann_M

In which Matt finally meets the family, pets Brett, attends a wedding, reveals some of his less dark secrets... Xem Thêm

0,5) Are you coming?
1) To lead and to be led
2) The blind one and the deaf ones
3) The sun, the moon, the truth
4) ...is that an eye-seeing dog?
5) A different kind of bravery
6) Revelations
7) Stand by you, stand by me
8) The land of forbidden thoughts
9) Perchance to dream
10) In the shadow of a goodbye

11) By any other name

925 38 0
Bởi Anika_Ann_M

Vera's mum didn't want to let go, that much was obvious. She had hugged Matt too – asking him if he still hadn't minded hugs first – and the embrace had been warmer and lasted longer than their first one. Vera would swear her mum had also told him something, too quietly for Vera's ears though.

And then she hugged Vera, who was not crying of course.

"Promise you'll take care of yourself," her mum whispered to her hair for the millionth time and Vera obediently nodded for the millionth time too.

"Promise me the same."

Her mum squeezed her so tight Vera wondered if some of her bones broke with the force.

"Please. We have Brett now, he'll look out for us."

"He's a terrible watchdog, mum. He didn't even get up when we came home from the wedding," Vera deadpanned, not realizing her mum only teased her.

"I know he's terrible. I really like him."

Vera laughed, more tears escaping her eyes. She leaned to her mums embrace once more, before freeing herself. "I love you, mum."

"I love you too. He might have you for himself in New York, but you're my babygirl. Always."

Vera smiled at her mum, kissing her cheek and patted Brett on his head – he responded with an enthusiastic bark. Yeah, her parents were going to be alright. She was worried about them, leaving them alone again, but they would be fine. They had Brett now, Petr would be still visiting often enough and Vera would be calling regularly. She sighed and got in the car, her dad behind the wheel.

"Ready?" he asked and Vera sighed again, wiping her cheeks dry. Matt took her free hand.

"Yeah."

Vera's dad was a little more reserved when it came to emotions, but when Vera and Matt got out of the car two towns over – because the connection was terrible, the only bus from Trutnov to Prague leaving at four a.m., which no, thank you very much – , he did as well and hugged Vera shortly, with surprising force. He didn't hug Matt, but he shook his hand, covering the back of Matt's hand with his other palm when doing it.

"You're a good guy, Matt. Keep going like this. It was nice to meet you."

Vera, who finally stopped crying and managed not to start again when hugging her father, became a mess once again, translating with her voice shaking.

"Thank you, sir."

"Daniel."

Vera went to a cardiac arrest, simultaneously ready to cry herself to death. Goddammit, dad. She was very impressed.

"Thank you, Daniel."

---

The journey to Prague was relatively short, no stops, and for Vera, it was a literal blur, because she was mostly crying – every time she managed to get a hold of her emotions, calming down, she lasted like ten minutes and lost it again. Matt was patiently offering his shoulder, comforting words with a edge of guilt in his voice.

They were just about to get off the bus when she finally convinced herself that what was enough was enough and focused on the day that was ahead of them. They were meeting up with Petr and were about to show Matt a little bit of the capital of Czechia. Some of the remarkable places were kinda wasted on him, it wasn't like he would enjoy the view from Hradčany, the whole city, 'hundreds of towers' on his palm, but there was no reason for not taking him to saint Vít's cathedral for example.

They dropped their suitcase in one of the lockers at the railway station of Masaryk so they didn't have to drag it around. Petr waited for them at the metro station right in the centre of Prague at Wenceslas Square.

"Who's Wenceslas?" Matt hummed curiously when they reached the statue of the cavalryman in the upper part of the square.

"Saint Wenceslas is a patron saint of Czechia. He was a king, kind and diplomatic, so naturally, his brother, greedy for power and warring, murdered him. Anyway, the legend says that when the darkest time for our nation comes, Wenceslas and his army will come to save us – for now, they are sleeping in the core of the mountain Blaník. Honestly, I think he's full of shit. I mean, if he hadn't come during the WW II. or after the last presidential election, when will he..." Vera questioned, wry in the end. She might sounded like she was joking, but she was deadly serious.

"She's not wrong," Petr noted, his voice bitter as well.

"That's a nice legend," Matt just commented, smiling.

"Yeah. But it's totally fake. Ready to move on?"

"Whenever yo—is there a tram standing in the middle of the square on no rail?" he asked incredulously, tilting his head, frowning. Vera burst out laughing at his confused expression.

"Yep. The trams used to go up and down the square instead of going... well, horizontally, I guess. It's a café now, but I've never been there. I just know it's expensive as hell. Want something?"

"No, thanks. But there is something smelling ridiculously good and even though I can tell it's too sweet, I would like to give it a try. And it's coming from..."

"There," Vera finished, knowing what he was talking about right away. She hadn't eaten 'trdelník' in years. As far as Vera knew, 'trdelník' was dough rolled into thin strips around a spindle, glazed with sugar and grilled until the sugar caramelized; after, it should be rolled in a mix of sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts.

When they walked to the stall where the vendor was offering it, she only managed to stare – apparently, someone had thought the pastry hadn't been sweet enough and had decided to upgrade it with filling the pastry with ice-cream, whipped cream and chocolate topping. Since the upgrade was optional, they decided to go with traditional version. They probably still overdosed with sugar; it was wonderful.

Their time in Prague was limited. Vera decided to introduce Matt to one more part of Czech history – the Prague Castle. Of course, the courtyard was nice enough, but be sure Matt Murdock would like something else – the cathedral of saint Vít. If Vera was being honest, she actually counted on Matt liking it, hoping perhaps. They took their time with the tour, stopping by the altars and if anything, Vera could admire the game of lights as the slowly fading sunlight glowed through the windows.

It was a good day.

And every good day had to end; they needed to head to the airport.

"So... taking off, huh?" Petr hummed, handing Vera her suitcase he had just freed from the old locker at the railway station.

Vera hesitantly took it, glancing up at his face. "Looks like it. Are you gonna stop me?"

"Depends. Are you gonna pull out some ninja shit if I am?" he joked, but the grimace he made afterwards was somewhat... weird. Vera couldn't quite decode the emotion behind it. "Just try to stay out of trouble, would you?"

Vera smiled at him, feeling new tears gathering in her eyes. "Yeah, I can try."

Petr hugged her with a sigh. Then he shook hands with Matt, surprisingly switching to African handshake. It was a nice gesture; Vera wasn't quite sure what it meant, but she always thought it was a sign of camaraderie, so she highly appreciated Petr doing it. Matt smiled at him, apparently feeling the same.

Petr walked them to the nearest tram station, raising his hand in a wave. Vera reciprocated the gesture, noticing Matt tilting his head; she realized Petr's mouth was moving, too quietly for her ears. Matt jumped when the warning signal for closing the tram door cut the air. She didn't ask about it immediately, watching her brother's huge figure disappear.

"Petr was telling you something, wasn't he?" she suspected. The corners of Matt's lips rose inconspicuously, but he didn't answer her. "And you're not gonna tell me, are you?"

Matt shook his head, his smile growing wider. Vera sighed, but let it slide. Maybe she didn't even want to know. She changed topics.

"How annoying the noise is? The city noise? It sounds different from New York, doesn't it?"

Matt huffed. "That's one way to put it..."

---

Vera managed not to cry until the plane took off. There was an unpleasant knot in her stomach and she was feeling homesick already; spending months in New York, she had became somewhat immune to homesickness, she had been busy after all and later, as her homecoming was coming gradually, the feeling had been coming back slowly. Now, leaving her country again, knowing her family and friends were going to be thousands kilometres away, it hit her with a full force. Vera really wanted to blame the nausea on the plane, but she would be lying through her teeth.

Matt's hand found hers, his fingers running over her knuckles and that was the moment she broke, because she realized the problem indeed had no solution – just like she had said Matt the night before. She loved both, her Czech family and her American friends and Matt, and there was simply no way of having it all at the same time, not perfectly in reach, not as close as she would wish.

Vera didn't realize when it happened, but suddenly there were Matt's lips on her temple, his arm mostly around her. She snuggled to him, burying her face to his shirt, feeling his shaky exhale.

"I'm sorry," he murmured and she just shook her head, not feeling like explaining it to him again. She noticed the plane was still climbing up.

"You should be; your seatbelt should be still fastened."

Matt snorted. "Please. I have more important things to take care of. Plus, you know me. I'm kind of a daredevil."

Vera choked out a laugh that sounded more like a sob, allowing herself to breathe in properly. She was really glad there was no third person in their half row and they had at least a little privacy.

"You know I love you, right? Because you're a total dork?" she asked rhetorically, not expecting an answer.

"Really? Dorkiness? That's it for you? And here I thought..." he hummed, not finishing his thought, kissing her hair. The smile crept on her lips without even trying.

"Yeah, I guess there is more than that."

---

The flight felt longer than the first one. Vera had troubles falling asleep; Matt looked like he could use some sleep, but stayed awake for her. She was resting her head against his shoulder as they were talking quietly, not wanting to disturb the people whose sleeping patterns were normal.

"Was it hard?" Vera asked hesitantly, feeling his muscles go rigid for a short moment before relaxing again.

"What was?"

Vera sighed, withdrawing slightly so she could look at his face. "All of it. Coming to Czechia. Meeting my family, especially. My friends... thinking about it, I'm surprised you survived all that."

"You have a wonderful family, Vera," he noted softly, his lips curling in a small smile. "They love you very much. You have the kind of a family that everyone wishes for."

She was quiet for a moment, before she decided to show her true colours. "I know. That's why I'm asking."

"Oh." Matt blinked, surprised. "It's... it's been a long time ago since I lost mine and found another, found other people who took a place in my heart. My father will always be the one, but... Vera, you don't have to feel bad for having a steady family background. I'm not... bitter about it. I'm happy for you."

Vera pressed her lips together, watching his sincere expression. "I love you. I know I keep saying that and it's probably losing its meaning, but—"

Matt shaking his head stopped whatever she was about to say. "Never. I love you too. Come here."

Vera smiled brightly, returning to their previous position.

"What about Anna and company? Too much?" This time his chest shook with hushed laughter. "Oh god, they were, weren't they? Did they threaten you or something?— Oh god, they did, didn't they, I'm so sorry."

"You don't have to be. They are great, Vera. It was... nice to see that side of you. You were laughing a lot with them. I can imagine you were quite a team on elementary school. Hard for teachers to handle, probably laughing at something all the time."

Vera whined, her cheeks turning red, which made Matt laugh even harder.

"You have no idea. All the time, Matt. All the freaking time," she murmured, face hidden in the crook of his neck. He pecked the top of her head.

"I would love to see that."

"No, you really wouldn't."

---

They were in a comfortable silence, somewhere between dozing off and mumbling unimportant things when Vera's sleepy brain came to a realization. She was wondering about their time in Czechia – obviously – and one important fact popped up in her mind.

Of course, she couldn't make herself to actually ask about it. So she swallowed her question, nuzzling her nose closer to his neck.

"A question or a statement?" his sleepy voice sounded in her ears, its vibration tickling her cheek. She felt her heart jump.

"What?"

"You want to say something and you're afraid to do so. A question or a statement?"

Vera didn't even need to open her eyes and look up to know there was a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Uhm. A question," she admitted, but didn't elaborate.

"Okay. And are you gonna ask it?" he encouraged her gently, making her sigh.

"It's dumb. Kinda."

Matt huffed a short laugh.

"Vera, I'm pretty sure we're at the point in a relationship at which you can safely ask me anything. Even if it seems dumb. The worst thing that might happen is that the question will make it the top three."

That caused her eyes to actually snap open and examine his expression. What the hell did that mean? She frowned.

"Top three of what? ... Dumbest questions? You have a list of top three dumbest questions I've ever asked you? Are you kidding me?"

Matt opened his mouth, no sound coming out. He looked sheepish. "They are more like... ridiculous, not dumb. It's not as bad as it sounds."

"Isn't it? What three questions are on it now?"

"It's actually only two. And it's a tie, I guess." Vera raised her eyebrow, which was naturally a totally wasted gesture on him.

"Okay. Spill it."

To her surprise, he did – quite voluntarily. "Sure. 'Do you ever want to sleep with me?'"

"Of course..." she mumbled, rolling her eyes, ignoring the rush of heat in her cheeks at the memory. "And?"

"'Do you want me to stay?'" he said softly and her heart definitely missed a beat at that one. He considered the question about her staying in New York ridiculous. Because apparently, it had been painfully obvious that he had wanted her to stay. Which...

"...Oh."

"So? What was it you wanted to ask me?"

She licked her lips. "Do you— do you mind me calling you 'Matt'?"

His expression turn brilliantly baffled. "That's promising so far. Explain. Why would I mind you calling me 'Matt'?"

"I'm— everyone calls you 'Matt'."

"...yes? That's because it's my name, Vera," he pointed out, still not following. Vera rolled her eyes.

"Ugh... I always call you 'Matt'. Well, sometimes 'Matthew' when you're being annoying, but... yeah, 'Matt' in general."

"Yes?"

"You don't always call me 'Vera'."

His expression cleared, the furrow between his eyebrows disappearing. "Oh."

"Yeah. Uhm... I just wondered, you know. You— you call me 'sweetheart' sometimes and-- you called me... 'love'-" she breathed, worried he might stop doing it after she mentioned it. Which was something she didn't want, like at all.

"Does it bother you? When I call you-"

"No! No, Matt, it really doesn't bother me when you call me 'love'. Or 'sweetheart'. Or 'Vera', I like all of it. But... I was thinking. If you don't feel... neglected or something. Like if I didn't love you that much or... dunno. 'Honey' or something like that... it doesn't quite fit, I can't help it, but at the same time—" She had no idea how to explain it. "I told you it's dumb."

"It's not dumb, Vera. It's... it's kinda sweet, actually. But I don't mind that you don't use any... pet name. I like it when you call me 'Matt'."

"Yeah?" she asked for confirmation and Matt nodded in earnest.

"Yeah.... I don't know if it's the hearing or combination of senses or... you. But I like it. You say it differently in different situations. In public, it's a little guarded as if you were afraid of embarrassing yourself or me, but still fond." His lips twitched inconspicuously. "It's different when you're angry, even if you're not calling me 'Matthew'. I... I really like when you just say my name when we're alone. When you're patching me up and you're a little worried, a bit angry, but sounding genuinely caring. When you're just wishing me a good night, morning, to have a nice day. Then... then of course there's..."

His lips brushed her ear lightly, whispering a secret, "...when you just breathe it, cry it out... whimper, wanting, needy." Her face immediately burned. He kissed the blush with no doubt smug grin on his lips. "It sounds different when you add it to 'I love you', no matter the circumstances. But whenever you say it... it's like it means something. So no, I don't mind that you don't call me anything else. You can if you want to, but I'm perfectly content with 'Matt'."

"I'm quite happy with Matt too."

He chuckled silently, noting both meanings. "Okay. Glad to hear that... honeybee."

"Do not call me 'honeybee'."

"Sorry, kitten," he teased and Vera whimpered, mentally kicking herself for not keeping her mouth shut.

"Careful, lover boy. Kitten has claws. And can change into a tigress."

"Oh, I know. I like when she does, tigress."

God, he was insufferable. Why was she putting up with him again?

"If you're not gonna stop mocking me, I swear I'm calling you— 'muffin' for a week. Or 'Matty-bear'. Or! I'm going to see you at the courthouse, publicly calling you 'hot stuff'."

"Oh my god, please, don't call me 'hot stuff'," he pleaded.

"Uh-huh. The other ones would be alright then?"

"Calling me 'Matt' is perfect, love," he offered, shamelessly aiming for her soft spot. Once he learned she didn't mind him addressing her 'love', he understood very quickly she actually liked it. A lot.

"...okay. Which brings me to: what the hell does Danny keep calling me? Tashi?"

"Tiānshǐ. It's Chinese."

"Do you have any idea what that means?" Matt beaming was the best answer she could get. "Of course you do. Tell me."

"No, it's sweet, that's all you need to know," Matt shook his head, smiling mysteriously.

"Oh, is that right? Zlatinko?"

His smile fell. "...did you just call me something?"

"I did. It doesn't matter. It's sweet."

"Vera," he growled and she grinned in response. "Okay, point taken. He... he's calling you an angel."

Vera blinked in surprise. That-- she didn't see that coming. "Oh. That's... nice."

"He calls me the Devil sometimes. Móguǐ. He thinks it's hilarious. Will you tell me...?"

"I called you something like... well, technically it's a variation of 'gold', but it means... 'precious'. When I addressed you 'zlatinko', I called you precious," Vera admitted, tentative.

The smile Matt gave her illuminated the whole plane, and she had to smile too. Precious indeed.

----Notes:
Huh. Done. I'm kinda ashamed of how long this fic is. Partly because I think it scared off my beta. It kinda makes me even more grateful that you make it this far. Thank you.

Also, a friendly reminder that like a month after this fluff, the plot of '...And the World Was Gone' happens. Imagine how cruel that is to Matt. If haven't read it, now it's the perfect time :D
---

Aaaanyway, I was actually thinking about the pet names; I really can't imagine Vera calling Matt 'sweetheart' or anything. Also, I thought of ship names. I mean, come on, those two idiots in love practically live with me, they deserve a ship name! I'm currently stuck with 'Verdevil', so if you have any other ideas, please share!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

66.9K 1.8K 46
After moving to Hell's Kitchen, settling down and somehow winning the sympathy of the Devil, Vera is happy. There were sure more than a few bumps on...
2.2K 88 4
In which Dean and Sam meet the Devil who may care and his little sister who may not be his little sister, everyone has a fake alias and bleeds too mu...
45.6K 888 21
I made the cover! PARTS GET BETTER AS I CONTINUE!! Every part takes me 3-7 days or more (mainly because i wanna write ones with 1000+ words, or i mig...
690 56 8
A JakexOFMC Duskwood Romantic Comedy Fanfiction Murder. Mystery. Stalking. Death threats. All things Manon Corvin can deal with. Wedding planning. D...