The Woman

By IfeomaN

Thrust into adulthood sooner than she anticipated, Kazia grew up strong, tough, feisty and independent. She h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter14

265 31 4
By IfeomaN

The smell of freshly baked bread filled her nostrils as she slowly woke from her tired sleep.

She was home.

Slipping her feet into her comfy pair of sponge-bob slippers she made her way down to the kitchen. Her mum was bent over the oven bringing out the first batch of bread. Kazia couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. She had missed her mums bread, it was always so soft and moist. She also missed waking up and coming home to a freshly cooked meal, she enjoyed cooking just like her mum but hardly ever had the time. Just remembering how her mum had stuffed her with so much food the night before made her feel like she ate for the whole nation. Her stomach still protruded a bit from the buffet but it still rumpled welcoming this freshly baked bread in.

"Good morning mum." She said placing a light kiss on her mum's cheek "Mummy did you sleep at all?"

"It's all for my angel."

"Mummy please its ok. I came home to see you and spend time with you. We can eat out if we want I won't mind."

"God forbid! Don't you know your mother again? Please its ok. Go and sit down I'll bring your bread and egg soon."

Kazia gave her mum a warm smile and made her way to the living rom. Her mums house didn't have a dining area. It was small and quaint. No matter how many times she convinced her mum to get a bigger place she always turned down the offer. She loved her simple life. Kazia sat down idle on the living room couch feeling odd to be so unoccupied and having nothing to do or follow up with. Just as she was about to get her iPad from her room her mum came in with a tray that contained the bread she had just finished baking and she could still see the steam emitting from it, deliciously smelling egg sauce and a cup of tea in her favourite mug from when she was little. Kazia pulled out a stool and placed in front of her as her mum put down the tray. "Mummy where's yours?"

"Don't worry about me. I'm ok. I'll eat something later."

"Nope, we will share this."

"Just eat Kazia. See how lean you look, see your waist, so tiny. How will you carry babies?"

Kazia could not help the eruption of laughter that escaped her lips. "Mummy mummy! Don't worry, I'll fatten up while I'm here."

"Now you're talking." Silence fall over them as Kazia gulped down the devious food. "So how are your brothers?"

"They are fine. I have not heard from them in a while."

"I'm sorry about them. Hope they are not putting a lot of strain on you financially?"

"Its fine mum, as long as they stay out of trouble."

"God will bless you Kazia"

"How are things here with you mum?"

"Its fine o. You know my life, nothing overly exciting. Mainly church work but it's all fine."

There was silence again as Kazia finished the last of her breakfast and sighed it satisfaction "Mummy this was amazing! I need to carry some of this bread with me. It was delicious."

"I'm happy you're happy."

Kazia cleared her plates, washed them out and joined her mum back in the kitchen. Her mum had her head back and her face was squeezed a little as though she was in discomfort.

"Mummy are you ok?"

"Yes, baby I'm good. It's just this waist pain."

"Are you on any medication?"

"Yes, but I'm out. I'll head over to the pharmacy later to buy some. I've just been busy."

"No no it's all because of me. Please what's the name of the drug. I'll go get it now."

"Are you sure? You just came back, maybe you should rest. Mama Kechi's son can help me."

"This is my home mum, it's been awhile I went out. It would be nice to enter the bus or keke or okada and just remember old times. Besides I can't be at home all day."

"Ok, the name is on a paper by my bed side stool. The pharmacy is a little far. I prefer that on because the drugs are cheaper and good quality."

"Ok mum." Kazia hurriedly kissed her mum's cheeks then went into her room to change and head out. Running errands was just the distraction she needed. Maybe she would head out and buy other things as well.

She was glad to be home.

() () ()

"Thank you." Kazia said to the Pharmacist as she retrieved the medication for her mum. Turning to head out of the pharmacy she saw him close to the door talking to the other pharmacist. The handsome stranger from the airport. It was impossible to exit the pharmacy without him seeing her so she took a deep breath and composed herself as she mustered up a smile.

"Hey stranger!" He said turning to her and totally ignoring the person he was just talking to. The pharmacist took it as a que to leave.

"If it isn't you, of course! Who else would I have run into at a random pharmacy in town?"

"I promise you I'm not stalking, I'm so serious but I think God wants our paths to cross."

"Well you don't seem like much of a believer in God now do you?"

"I do know he works in wonderous ways." He closed the space between them and stretched out his hand. "Nice to meet you again Kazia."

"Same here."

"Are you ok? What drugs are you getting?"

"It's for my mum.... waist pain but she's ok."

"So, can we make these our run-ins intentional. Like I could intentionally run into you at a restaurant or something."

"I'm busy...." Kazia saw how he looked her over. She was in a pair of sweat pants and an oversized polo looking as un-busy as anyone could. "Came to spend time with my mum so I'm not really looking to go out. But thanks for the offer?"

"Ouch! But its fine. I understand."

"I'll let you get back to what it is you came here for."

"Na, I'm done. Oh, did I forget to tell you I own this pharmacy and the 100 others spread across the country." She noticed how he took a proud pose and cocked his head sideways in amusement. "Well now that I've told you I'm sure you can't help falling madly in love with me."

"Wow! This amazing. I use your pharmacy in Abuja. Customer service is great. You're really doing well for yourself."

"So, do I have a yes on that dinner?"

"It's still a no but nice try though."

"Can I at least give you a ride home? That's all I'm asking!" He raised his hand up to look defenceless, putting up his most innocent face. Kazia noticed he couldn't help being smug.

"Sure, if it's no inconvenience."

"None at all. My car is right outside." He stepped aside to let her pass, helping her with the door when they got closer. He had a charm about him which Kazia knew he knew he possessed, probably crafted from many years with the ladies. She wasn't ready for his type. He probably felt he could get any girl and she was amused at him, with each game he played she countered it and threw him off. Underneath it all, as he drove her mum, packed and talked a bit in front of the house, she discovered he wasn't all shallow he had some depth but somehow as she smiled and tried to keep up with the conversation with him, there was only one man on her mind.

() () ()

After her return from the pharmacy, Kazia took a long nap. It was so nice to get some much-needed rest and her body seemed to thank her. If she kept this up for the week she'll be here, she knew she would be just fine and stronger to return to work. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she pulled out iPad and looked through all the mails she had. She quickly responded to the ones she needed to and read the rest to stay up to the date. Then she saw the one from Raymond updating her on her case. There was no call from him, no message, his mail was very professional, almost as if they hadn't shared something so personal that it was burned into her memory. She quickly responded and shutdown her iPad.

Making her way out of her room, she met her mum in the parlour with her Bible on her lap as she read the scriptures inaudibly.

"Good evening mum!"

"My baby! Hope you are well rested?"

"Very mum. I'm not sure I may go back. I'm enjoying myself a little too much."

"I won't complain." Her mum closed the Bible and put it on the stool beside her as Kazia joined her on the couch. "What's on your mind? You seem bothered."

"It's nothing mum."

"Is it a man?"

"Mum!"

"Why are you shouting? It's just a question and my instincts tell me it's about a man."

"Not entirely. It's just everything. That's why I needed a break from Abuja. I needed a break from everything."

"It's fine, I'm happy you came home. When are you going back?"

"On Sunday, so I can return to work on Monday."

"It's almost here, just a few days. I have to stuff you with as much food in the meantime."

"I'm happy to be stuffed." Silence fell over the room as Kazia's mind drifted to the thing she was running away from.

"If there is something you know you can talk to me about it right?" There wasn't anything to talk about as far as Kazia was concerned. She like Raymond, he was engaged to be married and he couldn't be hers. That was it. It was simple and all she had to do was just move on.

"Of course, mum, if there's anything at all I'll talk to you." She placed her fingers on her lips as the taste of him still lingered. She was far way but apparently not far enough. "I'll be right back mum. There's a call I have to make."

She was going to forget Raymond, she had to and she knew the smug fellow to help with just that.

"Is the offer for the intentional run-in still open?"

"I thought you would never ask."

Authors Note: I want to thank all those who have been patiently following this book and urging me to come back and continue. You're the reason I'm back!

Daily updates of the woman except on days when life happens. Apologies for any typos.

Let me know what you think of the story so far. I forgot how much I enjoyed writing this story and I'm so happy to be back.

XOXO

IfeomaN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6M 463K 43
Isabella Smith, a twenty two year old woman struggling to make it through the evils of the world and surviving through thick and thin to give her sis...
78.2K 6.6K 30
She is an independent woman who is way too mature for her age, she smiles but that smile never reaches her eyes. He is a sweet businessman who had t...
21.4K 1.4K 51
Queenie is done with domineering men in her family,choosing to leave home for a new start and also a new job. The new job and the hot boss. Queenie...
6.9K 240 70
Siya Mehra is all stuck in her marriage with a short tempered and abusive husband. Life has never been easy for her, rather, it's been hell; the only...