My Protective Best Friend (AM...

By SherrinaXavier

He secretly promised to protect her and never let anyone hurt her ever again. More

Characters
01
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14

02

7.6K 228 114
By SherrinaXavier

The morning sun was warm against my skin which was covered in a layer of sweat. My lungs were burning and so were  my  legs and thighs. I struggled to keep up with Christian, who was way ahead of her on the trail.

I felt like calling it quits right then and there but I saw Christian jogging back towards me.

"C'mon Queenie, keep up, keep up." He called after me.

"That's easy for you to freaking say Chris. You do this mostly every day!" I exclaimed pausing to catch my breathe.  I don't know what I was thinking, agreeing to tag along with him for a morning run. I was definitely not as fit as I thought I was.

"You can do it Queenie. Just breathe..." He encouraged me as I tried to jog along side him.

"I-I feel like I'm gonna pass out Chris." I ceased my movements again after a few minutes. I felt a heavy force weighing on my  body. My eyesight became blurry as I  felt my  body become giddy.

I watched with hooded lids as Chris quickly jogged to my side, concern deeply marring his features.

Just as I felt my body go limp, Christian quickly pulled my body  into his chest and supported her. He instantly regretted pushing her so far although to him it didn't feel like much of a trial.

"Shit Queenie are you okay?" I heard him call to me and I slowly opened my eyes.

"Queenie talk to me." I felt him shake me gently when I didn't respond. I couldn't when my breathes were coming out in harsh and heavy pants, I was struggling to breathe. He quickly picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bench that was higher up the trail. He gently laid  me down and brought some water to my mouth.

After sipping on the water I  felt the burning in my  chest lighten and my breathing began to stabilize . I had no idea what had happened to me but I knew that I never wanted it to happen again. I felt like was dying in those few seconds I struggled to breathe.

"I-I'm okay." I spoke softly rising from my lying position after a few seconds of regaining my strength.

"I'm sorry for pushing you too far Queenie... C'mon I'm taking you home." He said picking me up much to my protest. Even if I felt weak I didn't want him to have to go the extra mile like he always did.

"chris I can use my legs you know." I argued as he began walking down the trail, carrying me bridal style.

"Shush Queenie." He replied unaffected by my cries of protest.

Realising that I'd only be wasting my little energy I remained, I shut up and let him carry me back.

Now back home and fresh out a cool and relaxing bath, I was in the kitchen getting started with lunch for the day. It was the weekend and Christian and I decided to stay home today. Normally we'd go out for lunch or to the mall just to find something to do.

However I was still sore from this mornings activities and didn't feel like getting dressed up.

I walked into the kitchen finding Christian sitting at the island on his laptop. Being the nosey friend that I am, I slowly and quietly creeped behind him to spy.

"You do know that I heard you ever since you came in right?" He spoke after a while, amusement clear in his voice.

"So? Not my fault you got big ass ears. Dumbo." I teased not caring I was caught.

"At least my forehead doesn't make up half of my face. Megamind." He replied so smoothly not even looking at me as he continued working on his laptop.

"Oh really now. We doing forehead jokes now huh?" I said feigning hurt despite the fact that I was a bit insecure about my forehead.

"You came for my ears first. I'm the real victim here."

"But you know I said it in love." I huffed still playing.

"And so did I. You know I love your forehead. Makes it easier to see you in a crowd." He laughed making me a little annoyed.

"Okay ouch. Fuck you." I said picking up one of those fake decorative fruits on the island and chucking it behind him. He dogged it with ease standing to come after me.

"No. Leave me alone Chris...meany." I huffed pushing him away as he tried to pull me into a hug. He was still laughing at my behavior.

" Alright. I'm sorry. You know I was just playing love. Your five head is-" he didn't get to finish his sentence because I punched him as hard as my tiny hands could allow me to in the gut.

"Damn. That actually hurt Queenie. You lifting weights or sum?" He groaned rubbing his chest.

I smiled at his pain. "That'll teach you to mess with me."

"What are you doing anyways. It's the weekend." I asked when went back to his original seat.

"I know but I have to edit this commercial for that tire store I told you about by the end of this week. I don't want the work to pile up. I got some photoshoots on my schedule for the week so I don't wanna push this too far behind. Don't like rushing my work." He explained and I nodded in understanding.

Christian worked as a photographer and a videographer. He was self employed and doing really great at his age. It was his passion anyways. Plus his work was really amazing. Especially the videos he'd produce.

I on the other hand was an entrepreneur as well. While I was in college studying business management I developed a love for hair and makeup. More specifically hair because I didn't have time to care for my natural hair so I relied on wigs and weaves to protect it.

Other females noticed how good I installed my wigs and actually paid me  install for them as well. After college and being seasonally unemployed I began making my own wigs in my free time. Experimenting with color and textures.

It was Christian who actually encouraged me to start a business from it mostly because he was complaining about the lack of space in our shared apartment due to my wigs and equipment being everywhere. He prompted me to sell them since I only wore a few of them. I was nervous at first starting off but my confidence grew after my first successful review. Also with the help of Christians skills my business reached a greater audience and was eagerly accepted.

After a year of saving we finally moved from our small apartment in our old neighborhood to a moderate size house in L.A. It was a difficult journey especially for me. My anxiety and depression was something that I was and still am struggling with made things a little difficult but I'm thankful that we made it. I owe it all to my Christian who stayed by me through it all.

With his encouragement I began seeing a psychiatrist, who over the two years helped me greatly in overcoming my traumatic experiences in the past. I was a work in progress and I tried daily to keep to it and stay positive.

Christian was with me every step of the way, helping me throughout my breakdowns and dealing with my random anxiety attacks.

He helped me build my confidence and made me realize that I'm strong and I will defeat this. I just need time.

I was free from her wicked past. I had a job that enabled me to provide for myself and most importantly I had my best friend with me.

"Well Imma start cooking. What do you want to eat?" I asked starting to feel famished.

"Make that rice thing with the chicken like last time." He smiled.

"You mean the Paleu?" (Pay-Louwe) I raised a brow wondering if that's what he was referring to. It wasn't the only dish that involved chicken and rice that I knew how to make.

"Yeah I think that's what it's called. You said your Caribbean friend taught you how to make it yeah." He added confirming my response.

I learned how to make the dish from my favorite, crazy Trinidadian friend Davia, who I met at a nail salon. She asked about my hair and we clicked from that day onwards. She became a special individual in my life.

"Oh shoot Chris. We're out of rice." I pouted after looking in the pantry gathering ingredients.

"Really? Oh fiddlesticks." He spoke and I couldn't help but snot at his new phrase.

"Fiddlesticks? That's a new one."

"I'm trying to swear less. I don't want it to become a big part of me." He sighed running his hand through his hair.

"Oh okay. Good luck with that tho. You're a serious potty mouth. I bet you've failed seconds after you started" I smirked knowing my best friend had no censor on that mouth of his.

"Fuck off." He flipped me off making me shake my head in amazement and proving me right.

"See? You ju-" I was cut off by my phone which was on the island ringing. It was an unsaved number but I answered anyway.

"Hello?...yes this is she... really?...wow...I understand... Yes... Yes... I will... Thanks for calling.... Yes... Goodbye." I  hung up with a sigh, rubbing my face in my hands.  Christian's eyes were focused on me now concern dancing in them like it always did.

"What's wrong Queenie? " He asked coming to stand by me. The new found information played on my mind and made my heart heavy.  I felt like crying.

My hands automatically reached up to  play in the infinity shaped pendant of the chain Christian gave me in hopes of the action calming the nerves that were already stirring up with in me.

"Miss Judy won't be my therapist anymore.S-she."  I paused sucking in a a sharp breathe to keep my tears at bay.

Christian feeling my anxiety and discomfort grabbed my hands, squeezing them. I leaned into his body when I felt my knees get weak.

"Relax Queenie... Just breathe... I know you're getting worked up about it but you need to relax okay?" He cooed rubbing my back.

"She passed away." I rasped feeling the tears fall. The news of her untimely death shook me to my core. She was the only other person who knew my history. We had a bond that wasn't just work related. I didn't feel like I was just paying for a service with her. Every time I left her office I felt refreshed with purpose and belonging.

Christian only held me tighter, comforting me as I cried on his chest.

" It's okay love...it's okay.." he cooed rubbing my back. I didn't like how weak and defeated I  was feeling but I couldn't help it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93K 955 19
"I love you, and I always will. No matter what other people say, my feelings toward you will never change."
293K 11.9K 37
His job was to protect her, not to fall in love with her...
1.1M 19.3K 30
"Don't worry, nobody has to know. It'll be our secret." He whispered into my ear. I still remember that night as if it was yesterday; he told me it...
181K 7.1K 29
She was damaged and everyone knew all she wanted was someone to save her from herself.