Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

By eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... More

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018

619 77 114
By eternalfelicity

Miles

Luke and I had decided not to tell Adam and Jane what we'd found and that we'd turned William in. We didn't want too many people knowing while the police did their work. We hadn't heard anything in the past three days, but we had faith that Detective Walker was doing everything he could.

Since it was Sunday, I hadn't done much all day except lay around the house and watch movies. When I was halfway through IT, my phone rang, scaring the shit out of me.

It was Detective Walker.

I answered, breathless. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Miles Jefferson?"

"Yes sir."

"Detective Walker. I just wanted to let you know that we have your father in custody."

I gasped. "You do?"

"Yes. We brought him in for questioning yesterday, searched his office and work last night, and we found the minivan in question."

"What? Where was it?"

"It was a minivan that belonged to Jefferson Properties."

That made sense. "Holy sh – crap."

Detective Walker laughed. "Yeah. It was quite a night."

"How did you get him to confess?"

"When we found the minivan, he got nervous, then he tried to get cocky. We kept asking questions and he accidentally revealed a detail he had been holding close to the vest – he mentioned the clothing James Cross was wearing when he was hit. After that, he knew we had him. He's being charged with vehicular manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident. And if you and your friends and family will make statements, we will be able to charge him with more than that."

"Okay. I'll tell them. And I will absolutely make a statement."

"Thank you, Miles. And thank you for leading us to the culprit. This is a case that has haunted my every moment."

"Of course... it was the right thing to do. So, is he being held in the Bay County Jail? And does he have a bond?"

"Yes, Bay County Jail. And no. No bond. Due to his financial situation, he is a huge flight risk."

I sighed in relief. "Thank you. Thank you so much, Detective."

"It's really my pleasure."

I sent Rachel a text immediately.

Come over –to my old house - now! Great news!

Great news sounds fabulous. Your old house? Are you sure?

We will definitely be alone when we get there...

Ooooh... that sounds perfect. xo

xx

***

When I got to my house, it was dark. I flipped on the living room light and was shocked to see the mess.

Couch cushions flipped over, cabinets open in the kitchen, medicine cabinets opened in the bathroom. But my dad's office was the worst. It was completely torn apart.

I had heard about the mess that gets left when the police search a house, but I had never seen it firsthand. I shut the door to the office, not even wanting to touch anything in it.

I had started picking up in the living room when Rachel knocked on the door. "Come in," I called.

She did, and when she saw the state of the house, her jaw dropped. "Holy shit, what happened? Did you get robbed?"

I grinned. "Nope. This is the result of a police search... Rachel, they have my dad in custody. They're charging him with vehicular manslaughter."

She put her hands over her mouth and immediately began to cry. "Oh my God. Really?"

I stood up and nodded, flipping the last couch cushion back into place, then pulling her against me.

She buried her head against my chest and cried. I rested my chin on top of her head and ran my fingers through her hair. "Shhh... it's okay, baby."

She sniffled and looked up at me. "Miles. The fact that you would turn your own father in for me and my family... I just, I just cannot express to you how much that means to me."

I put my hand on her cheek and she leaned into me, closing her eyes. "I'd do anything for you," I murmured. "You're literally the most important thing in my life. You're the sun to my sky, the reason I breathe. My life, Rachel... it was a hollow shell before you came into it. You have made me better."

She looked at me then, and I've never felt more connected to another human in my life.

When I kissed her, the longing on her lips was evident, and she consumed me.

Luke

The next few days after William's arrest flew by. He was being held with no bond, which eased everyone's minds. Rachel's parents were ecstatic... and mine were too. I thought Mom was going to spontaneously combust. And when I asked her if she'd make a statement, she stunned both Dad and me by saying "Hell yeah."

With all the charges that were stacking up, it looked like it would be a long time before he saw the light of day.

"I can't believe graduation is tomorrow," I whispered, running my fingers through Brooke's hair absently.

She and I were on a giant float in the pool at Miles' house, waiting for him and Rachel to return from dinner with her parents.

"I know... It's bittersweet, ya know?" she said, lifting her head off my chest and looking at me.

"It really is. I was just thinking earlier... if it hadn't been for you, Rachel, and Miles – of all people – I would've ended high school in misery. But because of you, everything changed. I – I am eternally grateful," I said, kissing her forehead.

She beamed. "Well, I need to thank you too."

"For what?"

"For reminding me to be compassionate... and helping me to believe that I don't have to put on a show for everyone else."

"I guess we've helped each other then," I said, and she nodded.

"Definitely."

Not kissing her right then would've been a damn crime.

Rachel

"No!" I yelped, running away from Miles as he chased me around his yard with a water gun he'd found in the back of his Jeep.

"You can run, but you can't hide!" he bellowed as I ducked around the other side of the house, around back by the pool.

When I reached the privacy fence, I heard some splashing. Brooke and Luke must already be here, I thought as I ducked behind a shrub.

"Ohh, Luke," Brooke moaned, and my eyes widened. I snorted, covering my mouth and nose with my hand.

I heard Miles' footsteps coming around the house, and I had to work to contain my laughter as I heard Luke's throaty groan.

Jesus Christ, that's pretty bold – having daytime sex in the middle of someone else's pool.

When I saw Miles, he opened his mouth to yell and I put my finger to my lips quickly. He turned his head to the side and stepped closer – right then, Brooke and Luke moaned in unison and Miles wrinkled his nose.

"Ugh!" he mouthed. I snorted again and ran over to him.

He took that opportunity to squirt water on my white t-shirt, and I shrieked.

"Oh my God," I heard Brooke say – and it wasn't in the throes of passion.

"Sorry!" I called over the fence.

"Shit," Luke said. "Sorry guys!"

"No problem – thanks for the show!" Miles joked, and I punched him on the arm.

"We'll leave you guys alone now. We'll be inside when you're – ahem – done."

I shoved Miles playfully and took the water gun from his hands. We spent the next hour chasing each other around the yard – anyone looking in from the outside would never guess that we were graduating high school tomorrow – but somewhere inside us, I think we wanted to recapture our youth that seemed to be slipping through our fingers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7K 6.1K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...
18.3K 555 40
(Before You Leave #1) She was sent to boarding school over the smallest of mistakes... Okay, burning down your schools gym might have been a big one...
28 0 11
Mara lives in a world of teen romance cliches and fairytales. Stories where the unlikely girl, in the end, gets the guy. When she meets James her who...
The Bet By Angela

Teen Fiction

150K 3.8K 33
Who could ever think that because of a football game you could find true love? Well Jason Parker wouldn't. He is the schools hottie, captain of the s...