Not the Only One (Book 1 in t...

By eternalfelicity

When we don't know who to turn to, sometimes we turn to the ones we least expect. Luke Salazar is a senior at... More

Author's Note - January 2020
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six - April 21, 2018
Forty-Seven - April 21, 2018
Forty-Eight - April 23, 2018
Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018
Fifty - April 28, 2018
Fifty-One - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Two - April 28, 2018
Fifty-Three - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Four - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Five - April 29, 2018
Fifty-Six - May 4, 2018
Fifty-Seven - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Eight - May 5, 2018
Fifty-Nine - May 5, 2018
Sixty - May 5, 2018
Sixty-One - May 9, 2018
Sixty-Two - May 10, 2018
Sixty-Three - May 13, 2018
Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Five - May 14, 2018
Sixty-Six - May 16, 2018
Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018
Sixty-Nine - May 20, 2018
Seventy - May 25, 2018
Seventy-One - May 25, 2018
Seventy-Two - May 26, 2018
Seventy-Three - May 28, 2018
Seventy-Four - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Five - May 31, 2018
Seventy-Six - June 1, 2018
Seventy-Seven - July 29, 2018
Seventy-Eight - July 30, 2018
Seventy-Nine - August 11, 2018
Epilogue - August 2020
Author's Note

Sixty-Seven - May 16, 2018

684 78 115
By eternalfelicity

Miles

By the time Rachel got back to the library, Ms. Dawson had gone into strict teacher mode and wouldn't let us talk. Rachel asked me to meet her in the bleachers at the football field after school.

I drove over and saw her sitting at the very top, no one else in sight. I smiled at the sight of her and ran up the stairs two at a time.

"Hey beautiful," I said, kissing her lips softly.

"Hey," she said, her voice soft.

I sat down next to her with one leg on either side of the bench, facing her.

"What's going on, baby?" I asked, brushing her hair out of her face.

She sighed, and for a moment I thought she was going to shut me out again, but she looked up at me, her face was open. 

"You have to promise not to flip out."

"That's not a good start," I replied nervously.

She shook her head. "I know. Miles, your dad showed up in the parking lot after school yesterday."

My face heated up instantly. "WHAT!?" I exclaimed.

"Please... calm down. Because you're really not going to like this next part."

"Oh, God."

"He... he threatened me."

"He what!? Did he put his hands on you?"

She paused a moment and nodded. "He put his hand on my neck and held me still so he could get in my face... then he shoved me backward and I almost fell," she whispered.

"I'm going to kill him," I hissed through my teeth.

"That's not all... he told me that I had to stop seeing you."

I laughed then, a hysterical, high-pitched sound. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"No... he said if I didn't, there would be consequences. That he'd hurt one of us... and I think he meant you."

"God, I hate him," I murmured. "Why would he – " But I stopped. I knew why. He knew that I had figured him out – or at least he suspected. And he didn't want her around because of what he'd done to her brother.

She started talking again, giving me his reasons, but I barely heard her.

I had to act, and I had to act fast – or he'd slip right through our fingers.

Luke

My phone rang, and when I saw it was Miles I answered immediately. "Hey, did you talk to Rachel?"

His voice was hard, incensed. "Yeah. I did. Luke, we have to tell her today."

I chewed my lip nervously, but I knew he was right. "Yeah, I agree."

"But I don't have the folder... I really want her to see the proof. And now my dad's home, so I can't exactly go get it."

I grinned, even though he couldn't see me. "Don't worry, brother; I got you."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"That day, when you showed me the folder, I took pictures of all of it with my phone. You just didn't notice."

"Holy shit, Luke. You're a fucking genius."

"I've been told," I laughed, and he continued. "Bring her to the house."

"All right. We'll be there shortly."

"I'll be here."

Miles disconnected the call and I exhaled.

My phone rang again, and it was Brooke.

Brooke

"Hey, Luke... What are you doing right now?" I asked when he picked up.

"Uh, Rachel is coming over with Miles," he said furtively.

"Oh? Why wasn't I invited?" I asked, unable to keep from feeling a little hurt.

"Well, it was just spur of the moment," he said, and I could tell it wasn't just a simple social call.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

He sighed, and I knew he was going to tell me. "Just come over, Brooke. She'd probably want you here too."

"I'll be there in 10."

Miles

She was waiting next to my car when I came back from the bathroom.

"Rachel, I want you to come over to the house."

"Whose house?" she asked, a terrified look crossing her delicate features.

"Luke's, baby... not William's."

She sighed in relief. "Okay."

"Let me drive us," I offered, knowing she'd be in no shape to drive when we were done talking to her.

"Okay," she said again, hopping up into the Jeep.

When we pulled up at Luke's twenty minutes later, Brooke's car was in the driveway.

"What's Brooke doing here? Are we having a party?" 

"Not exactly. Come on," I said, jumping out and opening the door for her.

"Miles, what's wrong?" she asked, fear creeping into her voice.

I took her hand. "Just come on."

Rachel

Miles was really starting to freak me out. Why did it feel like I was walking into some kind of intervention? But from what? I didn't drink or do drugs. Actually, the thought of that made me laugh.

"What's funny?" Miles asked curiously.

"Oh, nothing... never mind," I said as we walked through the front door.

"Let's go upstairs," he said, not letting go of my hand, leading me to his room.

Brooke and Luke were already there. "Hey, y'all," Miles greeted them. Luke was in his desk chair and Brooke was on the window seat. I sank onto the bed next to Miles.

"Hey," Luke said, and his face was pale. Brooke just looked bewildered.

"Guys, what the hell is going on?" I asked, looking between the three of them. Brooke shrugged, and I knew she was clueless as I was.

Miles took my hand. "Rachel, Luke and I have to tell you something... and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to say in my life." His voice was shaking.

I looked at Luke and then back at Miles. "What is it?"

Luke stood up and sat next to me, and Brooke moved to the bed. Suddenly we were all very close. We turned so we sat in a circle, facing each other.

Luke pulled his phone out of his pocket and tapped the screen a few times, then looked at Miles.

"I need you to remain calm, sweetheart," Miles said soothingly, holding my hands tightly.

"Guys. Just tell me," I insisted.

Miles exhaled, and Luke put a hand on his shoulder. "Go ahead, brother. I'm right here."

Miles nodded. "Rachel, we know who killed James."

Brooke and I gasped at the same time, and she put her hand on my knee, squeezing too hard. I winced and she loosened her grip. "What did you say?"

"Luke and I... we know who killed your brother."

"I – what? Who?" I stammered, squeezing Miles' hand.

Miles looked at Luke, and both of their eyes were misty. Then he looked back at me. "It was our father."

"Oh my God," I heard Brooke whisper beside me.

"No," I breathed. "No. That can't be right."

"It is, Rachel. We have proof," Luke spoke up, handing me his phone.

I took it, my hands shaking. When I saw the photos of the articles, the obituary – I began to cry. When I saw the photo of Luke and me, I cried harder, out of anger. Then, the receipt... the receipt for a cash payment at a body shop. This was too much. I pushed the phone back into Luke's hands and jumped up, ran into the bathroom, and shut the door. I knelt in front of the toilet, and right before I vomited, I felt hands pulling my hair back.

"It's okay," Brooke cooed. "Get it out."

I threw up until I began to dry heave, tears running down my face. When I was finally done, I stood up, and Brooke was already handing me a cup full of mouthwash.

I rinsed my mouth and looked at Brooke tearfully. "You keep having to take care of me when I vomit," I said weakly.

"Hey, that's my job." She brushed my hair out of my face. "This is crazy."

"I know. But I don't really think there's another explanation."

"Let's go back out and see what else they have to say," she said, putting her arm around my shoulders.

"'Kay," I agreed.

Miles stood up when I came in the room and he held out his arms to me. I entered his embrace gratefully, and he kissed my forehead.

"Are you okay?" he murmured against my hair.

"As okay as I can be, I guess. Is this why you snapped at me the other night?" I asked.

He nodded, and it suddenly made sense – he must've just found the envelope.

He sat down and pulled me onto his lap. Brooke and Luke were leaning against the footboard. We all sat in silence for a moment.

"What are we going to do?" 

Miles took a deep breath. "I want to turn him in."

I looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

"Of course!" he exclaimed. "He needs to pay for what he's done."

I nodded slowly. "My God, what are my parents going to say? How am I going to tell them this?"

Miles ran his hand down my arm. "I don't know. We'll figure it out. I just knew I needed to tell you. That's why he is trying to keep us apart." He looked down then, his beautiful face clouded with despair. "And to be honest, I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to see me again after this."

"What?" He didn't meet my eyes. I turned to Luke and Brooke. "Can you leave us alone for a minute?"

Luke and Brooke stood up immediately "Sure," Luke said. "Come on, Brooke, let's go get a snack."

As soon as I heard the door shut, I turned around to face him, putting one leg on either side of his body. "What did you say?"

He didn't look at me. "I said that I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to see me again."

"Miles Grant Jefferson," I said, putting my hand on his jaw and pushing it up so he had no choice but to look at me. "Why would you say that?"

"Come on, Rachel. My dad killed your brother in a fucking hit-and-run. Why would you ever be able to look at me the same again?"

I gazed at him, turning my head to the side. I put my hands on his cheeks, which had a two-day stubble growing. "Oh, Miles. Don't you see? Your father is absolutely no reflection on you. I fell in love with you, Miles. I started to fall in love with you the moment you opened up to me – about your father. I knew what I was getting into with your family. And it has no bearing on you or how I feel about you. Miles, I love you more than I thought I would ever love another human. There is nothing your father could do to change that. He's irrelevant. Please, you have to know that."

He raised his hand to my face, almost fearfully, like he was going to break me. I closed my eyes as his palm rested on my cheek, and I felt his lips brush against mine.

"I love you," he whispered against my mouth.

"I love you. We're going to get through this, Miles. Trust me."

How was it possible she was comforting me right now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 146 37
2022 Version | Nina Torres has everything she could ever dream of. Friends who stick by her side, a family that supports her, and a cute boyfriend. H...
28 0 11
Mara lives in a world of teen romance cliches and fairytales. Stories where the unlikely girl, in the end, gets the guy. When she meets James her who...
4.3K 147 66
Seventeen-year-old Rylee Evans just moved back to her hometown of Charlottesville, VA, with her dad and sister after being gone for three years. She'...
345K 12.3K 38
After a tragic event drives her out of little Hillsborough, NC, 19-year-old Meghan Greene finds herself living in a Manhattan apartment with her best...