For Milady

By harrypanther

AU Set during RTTE Season 5. Hiccup and Astrid are now boyfriend/girlfriend but not betrothed yet...and sudde... More

ONE: No Regrets
TWO: Staying on the Edge
THREE: Surprises
FOUR: Betrothed
FIVE: Cast Off
SIX: Arrival
SEVEN: Mixed Reactions
EIGHT: The Invisible Rival
NINE: Friends and Allies
TEN: Changing of the Guard
ELEVEN: New Perspective
TWELVE: Losing no matter what
THIRTEEN: Think Three Times
FOURTEEN: Through the fires
FIFTEEN: Someone to rely on
SIXTEEN: Saved
SEVENTEEN: Consequences
EIGHTEEN: Reactions
NINETEEN: Old Friends
TWENTY: New Purpose
TWENTY ONE: Choices
TWENTY TWO: The Greater Good
TWENTY THREE: On Dragon Wings
TWENTY FOUR: Gone
TWENTY FIVE: The Chief's Guest
TWENTY SIX: Betrayal
TWENTY SEVEN: Leverage
TWENTY EIGHT: The Wedding of Astrid Hofferson
TWENTY NINE: Despair
THIRTY: Time
THIRTY ONE: Reunions
THIRTY THREE: Repercussions
THIRTY FOUR: Riders of the Edge
THIRTY FIVE: Homecoming
THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy
THIRTY-SEVEN: Accomplice
THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning
THIRTY-NINE: Family
FORTY: The Empty Chair
FORTY-ONE: The Return of the Heir
FORTY-TWO: Hope
FORTY THREE: New Understandings
FORTY FOUR: Return to Vanaheim
FORTY FIVE: Losses
FORTY-SIX: Wrecked
FORTY SEVEN: The Fifth Lens
FORTY EIGHT: The Hunt
FORTY-NINE: King and Princess
FIFTY: The Last Hurdle

THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home

2.2K 80 37
By harrypanther

THIRTY-TWO: Heading Home

The others seemed to put his quietness and turmoil down to exhaustion as they chatted late, catching up with adventures and swapping tales. Heather was fascinated by the fact that Astrid had fought off raiders, saved a village and fought a combat and become a Chief while in late pregnancy and the blonde had clearly loved having her best friend back to talk to. Snotlout was paying excessive compliments and hinting that as the new Heir to Berk, he would make a perfect partner for her and the twins were joking with him and pointing out how little chance he had. Fishlegs was squealing with excitement at the story of the new dragons Astrid had encountered on the Healers' Isle and he was begging her for details so he could put them in the Book of Dragons...or check them out on the DragonEye 2.

It was a relief when Valkana woke and automatically, Hiccup got up and scooped up his daughter, snuggling the warm wriggly body to his chest. She was fretting but she wasn't really hungry, instead just wanting a cuddle so he sat at the back, by her crib, and rocked her gently against him. She gave a little murmur and Astrid half-turned her head, seeing him cuddling her and a small smile lifted her lips at his devotion before she turned back to her friends. But Dagur watched the tall, lean Night Fury Rider and knew there was something troubling his brother so quietly, he got up and sat by the troubled Hiccup.

"She's incredibly cute," he commented. "I can't believe my brother is a father."

"Most of the time, nor can I," Hiccup confessed. "I look at her and wonder if I'm dreaming and instead, I'm still back in that cage on the Captain's ship, slowly dying and this is just the last dream I have before the end." A warm hand landed on his shoulder and he looked up with a small smile. "Yeah-pretty morbid I know...but I just can believe I got here in time..."

"Better believe it-because Astrid says you were awesome, brother," Dagur reminded him. "But something has changed. When we arrived, you were smiling, cheerful...happy...and now you look...morose." Hiccup flicked a thoughtful emerald glance at his friend. Dagur tended to head off in his own direction and sometimes Hiccup couldn't fathom what went on in his brain...but occasionally, he picked up on things that no one else did.

"Well-what about you?" he replied. "Engaged to Mala? How-how did that happen?" There was a pause and Dagur scratched his stubbly beard, a small smile lifting his lips.

"I was at a meeting with Mala and the Defenders of the Wing discussing and sharing information about the King of Dragons, Johann and Krogan-who is attacking everything...and I butted heads agains Mala," the Berserker explained. "I mean, she was so amazingly stubborn and disagreed with everything I said and everything I suggested! I mean, I was being very reasonable and she was just impossible..."

"I'll bet," Hiccup commented, rocking Valkana, who was falling asleep again. When they met Mala and the Defenders of the Wing, they had tried to execute him...twice...while Dagur had tried to kill him innumerable times. Suddenly, he could see what the pair had in common.

"And then that twin...the idiot with the chicken and the other one-are you sure she's a girl?-put us through a load of silly exercises and we just agreed how stupid they were and...that was it. We clicked...and I have never felt so complete as when I realised I had found my soul mate."

The older man's shocked and joyful tone-mixed with the slightly goofy expression that Hiccup recognised as one he had worn more times than he could recall-brought a smile to his lips.

"I am truly happy for you," he said honestly. "Wow. This is seriously the last thing I would have expected when you escaped from Outcast Island..." Dagur scratched the back of his neck and nodded.

"Yeah-was pretty certain one of us would be dead by now," he admitted with a shrug.

"There's still time with Krogan and Johann," Hiccup pointed out. "We have to find the King of Dragons first and save him from Johann. Otherwise...it will all have been in vain." Dagur slapped him on the back and then apologised as Valkana whimpered and woke.

"Oops. Time for me to leave," he whispered hurriedly as Hiccup turned back to soothing his daughter. But his eyes trailed over his friends as he sat at the edge. He was dreading when one of them finally asked what he had been doing on his quest to catch Astrid. His eyes trailed to look at the blonde warrior and he kissed his daughter's head.

"Love you both," he murmured. "But look what love has done."

oOo

The gang spent the night in the cave, the entrance guarded by the dragons. Astrid snuggled up against Hiccup, her arm wrapped possessively around his lean shape, a smile lifting her lips as he stared into the darkness and felt nothing but shame scorch through him.

He was worse than Dagur.

And one day they would find out. They would realise how bad he had become in his desperation to find Astrid, how dirty his soul had become and they would reject him.

He blinked and wrapped an arm around Astrid, closing his eyes. He wouldn't sleep-but he would enjoy the feeling of the woman he loved in his arms-while he still had her.

Sometime in the night, he did fall asleep-to be woken by Valkana for her night feed and he gently lifted her and brought her to Astrid, curling around the pair as they nursed. There were mutters and grumbles from the others and he heard Snotlout whining about his beauty sleep-but a low growl from Toothless silenced protests as Hiccup burped his daughter and put her down once more-before collapsing asleep against Astrid.

Come morning, they packed-because the island was very remote and Astrid was recovered enough to travel back to somewhere more civilised. They had decided on the Edge but it was a long flight and they would have to break it up into manageable stages but once they had fed everyone, it took surprisingly little time to pack up the cave-though Astrid had insisted they bring the crib.

"Hiccup chased across the entire Archipelago to find me, he arrived just in time when I was in labour, he delivered my daughter and then, while I was asleep, he flew out, found some wood and made that for me! I mean, he was exhausted but he built a crib! And I am not leaving it behind! So Snotlout-you are carrying it and it you drop it, I will axe you to little tiny minuscule microscopic pieces..."

"AAAAGH!"

"Sis-can we make Snotlout drop it so we can watch that?" Tuff added loudly.

"Tuff!" The male twin jumped and looked nervously at the furious blonde.

"Oh, hi Astrid..." he tried to say nonchalantly. "D'you think she heard me?" he whispered very loudly to his twin.

"I can hear you, Tuff," Astrid growled through her teeth.

"Tuffnut-step away from the furious hormonal blonde," Hiccup deadpanned and the male twin very obviously backed away. Turning to her, Hiccup smiled and offered the carrying harness he had made for their daughter that could sling her across Astrid's back or front. It was beautifully made, the leather finished perfectly and lined with fleece. There was a pause and her blue eyes shimmered with love and gratitude before she accepted it-then hugged him.

"Thank you," she whispered and leaned up to gently kiss him. His hand gently trailed over her cheek and smiled.

"I have to make sure you and she are safe," he told her sincerely. "You are both everything I have...and I would die...or kill...for you..."

"Tuff hasn't annoyed me that much...yet," Astrid joked weakly. "Snotlout on the other hand..." Hiccup sighed and glanced at Toothless, who was surreptitiously following his rider around. Since they had escaped from the Captain, the Night Fury was very reticent to allow the young Viking out of his sight and his ears pricked as he saw Hiccup smile at him.

"Toothless-Astrid is very keen to get the crib back safely-so could you tell Hookfang that he just not flame up while he's carrying Astrid's things-otherwise she'll be very angry..." he warned the dragon and Toothless flattened his ears, backing up and whining. And then he looked over to Hookfang and barked a small warning. Looking irritated, the Monstrous Nightmare huffed a cloud of smoke from his nostrils but lowered his head in response to a sharper growl from the Night Fury.

"Are we ready yet?" Snotlout whined, securing the crib to Hookfang by ropes, completely missing the byplay. There was an awkward pause as Heather and Fishlegs shared a look.

"Everything is packed and we're ready to leave," the girl said as Fishlegs nodded. Hiccup rested his hand on the carrying harness and smiled.

"Maybe it's time to try this out, Milady?" he suggested,

It was only a few minutes later that Astrid was ready, in her new red tunic-now laced tighter around her much more slender shape, the fur-lined over tunic belted tight and the fur-lined harness safely strapped to her back with Valkana snugly wrapped inside, wrapped securely against the cold. Hiccup and Astrid had agreed that so soon after the birth and with their daughter to watch-at least at first-she would rode with him on Toothless, with Stormfly flying shotgun alongside the Night Fury. So finally, as Astrid's arms wound around him and his leg clipped into the pedal, Hiccup glanced over to his friends.

"Wings up, guys," he said. "We head for the Edge."

There was a pang of regret as the little island dropped away and faded into the mist and Hiccup gave one last glance as they arrowed away. The place had reunited him with his family, the girl he had given up his life and birthright for and the daughter he had risked everything to see. He blinked. It was an isolated rock that wouldn't even feature on most maps-though it was carefully recorded on his-but to Hiccup, it was the first home his new family had known.

Astrid's arms adjusted slightly around his middle and he felt her lean into him, the additional warmth from her presence reminding him that he wasn't alone and that he didn't have to constantly be on alert. He had Toothless and Stormfly and the others to protect them when he really had something to protect...but the world had become far more dangerous. The Hunters-especially those this far south-were even more vicious and amoral than Viggo's Clan and the survival of the younger Grimborn and his alliance with the mysterious Krogan and the treacherous Johann was a terrible threat. There was no way that Hiccup wanted them to get their hands on the 'King of Dragons' because he could see that such a dragon-rumoured to be able to control all the others-would give them the chance to rule everyone else. And the prospect of Johann subjugating Berk was something Hiccup would not countenance.

"You okay, babe?" Astrid asked against his back, giving him a small squeeze and a small smile twitched over his lips.

"Just thinking," he confessed. "Johann...Viggo...I can't see how they would work together for long. Because Viggo was always the leader, the man with the plan...and Johann has his own plan and his henchman, Krogan. I'm not sure Viggo would want to play the henchman for the rest of his life..."

"Hiccup-he should be dead," Astrid said sharply. "I thought he was and it wasn't good news that he survived..." There was an edge to her voice because the last time she had seen Viggo was when he was holding her axe to her throat, threatening her life for the DragonEye. "And whatever he wants or has to endure-he deserves it! He hunts dragons. He tried to kill us so many times. He tried to kill me. He tried to kill you. Thor-he put a bounty on your head! Why are you worried about his well-being?"

He paused. Her grip had tightened with her anger and he couldn't say that he could picture that moment when Viggo betrayed him, when the man's scornful expression twisted his face as Astrid struggled against his grip, her own axe pressed against her neck. He could still see the way her hair flicked in the breeze, the scowl on her face and the way her slender body writhed against the powerful grip that held her helpless. And he had never explained the agony he felt in that moment, seeing the woman he loved held hostage by a man he had helped and who had promised to help him...and the impossible choice he had been given. Astrid or the DragonEye, the means for Viggo to capture and enslave dragons...

"I'm not," he said hoarsely. "But...if he's dissatisfied, if he hates his partners...maybe that could be a way in?"

"And do what?" Astrid asked him sharply. "You're not suggesting we trust him? Ask for his help?"

"If that's what we need to do, yes," he said quietly. "Because Viggo is a pawn. He no longer the Chief in Maces and Talons-and he's expendable as far as they are concerned. I can only guess that Johann plans his own enrichment at the expense of our freedom...and Krogan...Thor only knows who he works for because he's allied to Johann, not his direct subordinate..."

"Hiccup, if you think I'm prepared to..."

"I'M PREPARED TO!" he snapped back, silencing her. Azure eyes widened in shock at his tone. "I'm prepared to...because I have something to lose. And I will do anything to make sure you and she are safe!"

"Guys!" Heather shouted over to them. "Hunters!"

Heads snapped round and Toothless roared as the dragons all closed to battle positions, flanking the Night Fury. Dagur leaned forward as Hiccup opened his mouth.

"Okay-prepare to attack!" the one-legged Viking called, immediately taking command. "Dagur, Heather-left flank. Twins, Snotlout-take the right but do NOT flame up, Snot, unless you want to be minced by Astrid. Fish and I will..."

"Stay up here out of harm's way!" Dagur cut in firmly. "You have Astrid and the baby with you!"

"Fishlegs, can you...?"

"Oh no, Hiccup," Astrid cut in sharply. "I am not being passed off like a bundle of luggage! I'm as much a Dragon Rider as you are and I either fly with you or on Stormfly on my own..." She leaned close so only he could hear her, whispering in his ear. "Now get in there and sink them!" Her eyes hands on his waist and he leaned forward.

"ATTACK!" he yelled and leaned forward, feeling Toothless accelerate, hearing the shriek of the Night Fury as they dived, the familiar sound of plasma blasts as they peppered the ship. Bolas flew at them and Dragon Root arrows but they dodged. Skeins of green Zippleback gas flowed around the ship and the explosion as they ignited coincided with a powerful blast from the Monstrous Nightmare. The zing of Razorwhip and Nadder spines sounded as the ship was peppered and Meatlug dumped a large lava blast onto the deck before smashing down the mast. The stricken ship started listing and sinking.

"Break off!" Astrid shouted and Hiccup soared up, peering over his shoulder and seeing the Hunters pointing and yelling-before racing away from the attackers to save their lives. He nodded and they circled away from the Hunters, before checking there were no dragons trapped...but through the gaps in the deck, they could see the hold was empty as were the cages on the remains of the ship.

"Everyone okay?" he shouted and there was a pause as the Riders all confirmed they were safe.

"That was pretty...brutal," Fishlegs noted, glancing back at the rapidly-sinking ship. "I don't think they have a lifeboat or anything..."

"They're hunters," Hiccup noted quietly. "Actually, they deserve it..."

"But we always leave them some way of getting to safety because they're just men with families doing their jobs and..." the husky young Viking persisted but Hiccup slowly inclined his head.

"Not out here," he said tonelessly. "Out here, they are vicious and ruthless. You know how long I spent as their...guest..." The others stared at him. There were a lot of words unsaid there as he took a deep breath. "And there was a point where I suspected they had Astrid. I met pretty much all of them while I was looking for her...and they measured down to my expectations..." And then he turned back to his dragon. "Come on, Toothless. Let's head for Sniffling."

And without another word, he flipped the Night Fury and they accelerated towards the East, the whistle of air over the wings mocking the others as they struggled to turn and fly after his vanishing shape, the Nadder flapping valiantly in his wake. Snotlout stared after them and frowned.

"Do we need to ask about this?" he asked. "Princess Outpost suddenly not caring about who lives and dies? Not that it isn't a change for the better..."

"No-it really isn't," Heather said gravely.

"Something happened to Hiccup," Ruff said suddenly, glancing over at her brother. Crazy they frequently were but both counted Hiccup as their best friend...apart from each other. And Ruff knew her brother was worried as well.

"I don't think that our beloved leader is being wholly honest about what happened to him," Tuff murmured. "And whatever went down, he needs us." Ruff nodded, momentarily thoughtful.

"Whatever he needs, we'll do it," she murmured back. "He got us Barf and Belch back. He saved our lives. He's even tried to join our side on occasion..."

"Ah...the Dragonfly..." Tuff muttered nostalgically. "I still think he's got Loki tendencies..." Ruff grinned.

"We can ask him when we catch him up...and ask if we can be Aunt and Uncle to Baby Valkana," she added. They fist-bumped.

"Okay-but which one of us will be which?" Tuff asked as they sped after the Night Fury.

oOo

Chief Kjetil of Sniffling was waiting for the last fishing boat to come back in from the day's sailing, facing the choppy sea and feeling the cool breeze ruffle his beard. The weather had largely improved and the snow had mostly melted, leaving Kjetil feeling guilty that he had allowed Astrid to go out into the worst of the winter because he couldn't guarantee her safety. He shook his head, his eyes scanning the horizon. He just wished he knew what had happened to her-because his friend, Magnus, on Stippling, had told him that she had headed out to the Healers' Isle...and she had never returned.

A roar sounded from the low grey clouds and his head snapped up instantly as he saw dragons descend from the clouds...a silver dragon, a purple and amber dragon with a tail that seemed to be braided of three parts, a green two-headed dragon, a lumpy brown dragon, a large spiky orange-brown dragon with long grey horns...and they all had Riders. He staggered back a pace as they landed in the village plaza and the villagers all stopped what they were doing as Kjetil recognised the dragons and the riders of two: Chief Dagur of Berserk and his sister, Heather. A familiar screech sounded and the Chief's eyes widened as the blue and gold shape of Stormfly circled down and landed-but his heart sunk in shock to see her riderless.

"Astrid?" he gasped and glanced over to the shape of Hjordis, who had run into the Plaza at the sound of a dragon's roar. The woman looked grey with worry, hands clasped in concern-until there was the roar again and the black dragon that had brought Astrid's husband to the village on his search for her swooped down and landed. And safely on her back were the auburn-haired young man, Hiccup-and the smiling blonde shape of Astrid...with a leather and sheepskin baby carrier on her back.

"ASTRID!" the older woman shouted and raced forward as Astrid scrambled off the black dragon and ran towards her friend. They met in a fierce embrace and Astrid closed her eyes in relief.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," she reassured her friend as she pulled back and unstrapped the carrier, carefully revealing the little face of her offspring, her wide blue eyes wide and myopically curious. Hjordis cooed in delight.

"Ooh-he's adorable..." she gasped and Astrid smiled.

"She," she corrected her friend. "Little Thumper turned out to be a bouncing girl!" She gently lifted out the child and placed her in Hjordis's arms. "There you go..." A smile filled the older woman's face and she inspected the newborn infant closely.

"Hmm-she's definitely got his eyes," she commented. "And his hair..."

"My mini-Hiccup," Astrid said smugly and then looked up as Kjetil approached. "Chief...it's really good to see you..." The man hugged her, giving a sigh.

"When I saw Stormfly land without you, I feared the worst," he admitted. "I am glad you are safe..." And then he looked round. "I am glad that Hiccup found you. He was desperate when he came here...even though he had to leave in a storm to find his cousin..." Frowning, Astrid looked over the Snotlout, who was showing off. The twins were teasing him and Dagur and Heather were joining Fishlegs in greeting the villagers.

"That figures," she muttered. "He's such a mutton-head he would get into trouble and then just expect Hiccup to rescue him..."

"And now it's time for a celebration!" Kjetil announced, offering a small smile at her words, recalling why he missed the practical and sensible young woman. He turned to the villagers and gestured. "Astrid has returned with her friends-and she is safely delivered of her daughter! Prepare a feast!" Then he looked back at Astrid as women raced towards the Hall. "We've had some new arrivals as well, men who have decided to forsake Dragon Hunting for a quieter life here on Sniffling..." He missed Hiccup stiffening and his eyes flicking to Toothless as the young Viking stepped back. "Come, come inside! It's not snowing but it is still cold and we have warm fires and plenty of food to share with our friends-and the woman who saved the village from raiders." Astrid dipped her head as Snotlout stared at her in shock and the twins cheered. Fishlegs-who had already heard the story from Heather-joined in the cheers. Flanked by Hjordis, Astrid walked towards the Hall, chattering about the birth and briefly relating her adventures, followed by the Riders while Hiccup brought up the rear with Toothless.

Acutely aware of the villagers, the auburn-haired Viking hung back, observing them and reminding himself that there were men here who drove his fiancée from the security of the village, who had tried to kill Stormfly and who had hurt Astrid as well. And as his emerald eyes swept over the village, he noted the faces that were less than happy to see the blonde warrior return or the way she was being feted. But tables were pulled up, boars and chickens spitted and already roasting and ale and mead brought out. The others gratefully accepted the hospitality, chatting and laughing with the locals and discussing their experiences with dragons and the adventures they had shared. But Hiccup remained on edge, a sense of foreboding wrapping around him as he obsessively scanned for danger. Astrid was happily chatting with her friends and showing off her daughter, relating the tales of her adventures and answering questions about what had happened after she had left Sniffling while Hordes explained that they were being visited by a handful of Terrible Terrors who were rapidly becoming pets to those who wanted. Fishlegs started offering tips on training and Snotlout joined in-despite Astrid pointing out that all he had ever trained a Terrible Terror to do was bite him. Kjetil was laughing at the stocky Rider's chagrin and talking to Dagur as a fellow Chief and everyone seemed relaxed...especially when the last fishing boat came in and the remaining villagers joined them.

The aromas of cooking meat filled the Hall as Hiccup watched the men enter, accepting mugs of mead and huddling closer to the fire, their voices eager as they loudly discussed their catch. Astrid and the other Riders were introduced and Kjetil looked up, seeing Hiccup leaning against the wall to one side by the familiar black shape of the Night Fury. There was a pause and the men stared-especially the three men who were unfamiliar to Astrid. There was a long moment-and then the rasp of swords being drawn was loud in the Hall.

"YOU!" one of the newcomers yelled, raising his weapon. Hs friend turned to Kjetil as the Riders all shared looks in shock. Hiccup froze, his hand resting on Toothless's snout. The Night Fury sniffed-and then growled as the second man also drew his sword.

"Chief-that man should be arrested and killed!" he announced. Astrid rose, her eyes wide.

"Why?" she demanded. The third man stabbed a finger at the motionless Hiccup.

"Because that man attacked and killed dozens of Hunters! He's a murderer and a pirate and should be executed for his crimes!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 281 3
Modern Valentine's Day AU. Roped in to help her friend juggle three simultaneous dates on Valentine's Day, Astrid Hofferson finds herself opposite th...
35.5K 1.5K 32
Set during RTTE S5. Hiccup has been captured by Viggo who seek the lenses for the DragonEye that he has removed and concealed. When he is rescued, As...
4.5K 86 20
Hiccup and Astrid, childhood bestfriends, get separated for 5 long years when Stoick sends Hiccup off to boarding school. They both part ways with un...
15.5K 612 12
Modern AU. Taking his girlfriend Astrid on a last minute sunshine break seemed like the perfect idea for Hiccup-but everything doesn't go to plan as...