Sparks ✨

By NomadicNotions

What if you lost your true love but they were permitted to be your guardian angel- the catch being that they... More

Chapter 1- A New Chapter
Chapter 2- Damascus

Preface

1.9K 116 102
By NomadicNotions

The events of that night are still as vivid as a lucid dream. The rain was drizzling gliding slowly from the canopy, a dense thicket of fog waltzed about the atmosphere—hovering just over the slick glittering asphalt. My classmates were throwing a senior Halloween party. It was to be the event of the season, an epic night chock full of trick or treating, haunted happenings, and the infamous Hallow's Eve costume contests that gave every high school girl an excuse to leave their house in cleverly disguised lingerie.

The thing about life-changing moments is that they often catch you off guard. It isn't until they are a memory that you realize their significance. When I think back on that day, I can still recall the eerie gnawing anxiety that plucked away at me. You know that feeling when you drink too much coffee and you get the jitters? It's like that combined with nervous butterflies in the pit of your stomach, intuition I think they call it. I brushed it off as social anxiety. I hadn't recognized it then but after that experience, I would recognize it any day in this lifetime or a hundred more.

"Wouldn't you rather cuddle and binge-watch, Netflix? I brought candy corn!" I asked, attempting to sway Gage into forgoing the festivities. I was only slightly kidding.

"Okay, number one, ew, Em. Candy corn? I don't know anyone who actually eats that. And second, I've got a surprise for you that I think will change your mind." Gage smirked before disappearing down the hall.

Gage was one of those people with effortless charisma; he was a social butterfly and I an introverted wallflower. To this day I have no idea how we wound up falling for each other. We had almost nothing in common, aside from our love for each other.

"Bow chicka wow wow," Gage sang sashaying into the living room, popping suspenders that were over his bare chest. 

 You'd swear he was arrogant if you didn't know him but he was really just a loveable goofball. I laughed so hard I choked on my pop. I will be the first to admit, he made a pretty irresistible lumberjack.

"Don't leave me hanging. I need a damsel to save." Gage said, tossing me a Little Red Riding hood ensemble.

 "You have got to be kidding me." I glowered, pursing my lips into a hard line. 

"Too much?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

"I figured, so I got you a little surprise." He tossed me a brown bundle tied together with twine.

 I slowly tore back the paper to reveal a fabric with Nordic style embellishments. As I pulled it from the wrapping a small gold heart pendant toppled onto my lap from out of the fabric. A vintage pendant and matching cloak! I almost screeched I was so excited.

"I love it! It's absolutely beautiful, Gage. Thank you!" 

"I thought you might like it, I found them both at that antique shop you frequent on 5th Avenue. Here, shall I?" He held out his hand for the necklace. I pulled my hair aside so he was able to place the gold pendant around my neck.

"Now, would you go get ready, already?"

 I grabbed his face in my hands and kissed his lips, there was nothing more euphoric than the feel of his body embracing mine. These were the moments I lived for,  a moment I never wanted to end, a moment I will carry with me always. 

The screech of the tires was a violent sound, like that of the highest pitch scream imaginable. It's as if the vehicle itself slapped against the waterlogged asphalt in desperation trying to get a grip. The ripping and clashing of the metal against the terrain boomed like thunder. The shattering glass played a musical concerto of its own, it danced mid-air before roaring through the vehicle, ripping at my flesh like the thorns of a rose. I remember how very confusing it all was, I did not understand what was happening at all. Headlights swirled dancing with starlight as the world spun faster and harder until nothing or maybe everything was a black void. An eternity later, the world had gone dark. The chill in the air beat fervently against a searing sensation on my face, I could feel the warmth of the blood rushing along my cheeks, I could taste the rusty metallic of it on my lips. The smell of smoldering rubber burnt inside my nostrils.

The cloak had managed to twist and tangle around me forming a shoddy cocoon that provided at least some warmth from the cold concrete I was sprawled upon.  In the distance, sparks sputtered to life, flickering in the wreckage of the truck like a thousand tiny fireflies. I studied the area illuminated by the amber glow trying to shake the dizziness.

 "G-g-a" I tried to call out for him, tried to move, tried to stay conscious. I fought the feeling as best I could but the pull of the unknown was too great. The wreckage and its flickering flames slowly faded from view.

***************************

Copyright

Copyright © 2020  All Rights Reserved.

This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author. This book is a work of fiction, names characters, places, events, locales, and incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

© 2018 S. Mastro
All Rights Reserved

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 48.5K 52
In a world where humans are considered as nothing but servants to the almighty Warlocks and fairfolk, little human Milo struggles to make ends meet w...
486K 21.4K 87
Nika, a halfblood vampire, faces conspiracies and dark magic during a hunt for her best friend - whose kidnapping has sparked a war between supernatu...
7.7K 339 20
𝑾𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆 𝒖𝒑 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒖𝒑 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒔? 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒘...
30.5K 4.1K 34
The lone wolf doesn't survive. ~~ The moment Flint Maddock was banished from his clan, he knew it was do or die. A countdown to his death had started...