Unexpected

By pseudoannie

(Complete) Nick has suffered sorrow and loss. He has relied on his family to help him survive. Can Nick ever... More

Unexpected
Chapter 1 - With milk
Chapter 2 - Late
Chapter 3 - Dr. Tim
Chapter 4 - Betty
Chapter 5 - Lily
Chapter 6 - Regret and doubt
Chapter 7 - Invisible
Chapter 9 - New friend
Chapter 10 - Surprise
Chapter 11 - He's married
Chapter 12 - Annoyed
Chapter 13 - Houseguest
Chapter 14 - Bad day
Chapter 15 - I'm not blind
Chapter 16 - Jealous and relieved
Chapter 17 - Lonely
Chapter 18 - Too involved
Chapter 19 - Me time
Chapter 20 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 21 - The babysitter
Chapter 22 - Better than a dream
Chapter 23 - It was time
Chapter 24 - A mood
Chapter 25 - Memories
Chapter 26 - Rendevous
Chapter 27 - Consoling
Chapter 28 - Suspicion
Chapter 29 - Fifty Bucks
Chapter 30 - Meddling
Chapter 31 - Me too
Chapter 32 - Us
Chapter 33 - Ella
Chapter 34 - Yates!
Chapter 35 - Don't tell anyone
Chapter 36 - Mumbles
Chapter 37 - Questions with no answers
Chapter 38 - In the cross-hairs
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Trapped
Chapter 41 - Pivotal moment
Chapter 42- Sorry
Chapter 43 - Hindsight
Chapter 44 - No funny business
Chapter 45 - Romantical
Epilogue - In two days
Unexpected Second Chance

Chapter 8 - Family

8.4K 513 30
By pseudoannie

Sunday afternoons during the summer the family gathered at his parent's house on the lake. They had moved from town to the lake when Nick was in grade school. The family had grown too big for the small cape even with Tim grown and married. The old house had been the home of his father and his first wife. Living on the lake offered beauty year round, but the summers were idyllic. They could swim and boat every day. His father cursed the old speed boat that broke down constantly, but water skiing out on the lake was utopia to Nick. The summer after Mel was gone, water skiing was the first thing that brought him real joy, aside from his children. The joy they spread was always bittersweet.

His parents spent from after Christmas until just before Easter in Florida. Being at the lake when the snow piled up outside was not as much fun. The main recreation in the winter was snowmobiling and ice fishing. The consensus in the Burke family was snowmobiles were dangerous and fishing was boring especially in the cold winter temperatures. The glass windows looking out over the lake and the vaulted ceiling made the house expensive to keep warm in the winter. They shut off the water and drained the pipes before turning the heat off.

In the winter, Julie played hostess to the family gatherings. She was born domestic and could feed a crowd with as much ease as feeding two. It was a mild autumn day, so they were at the lake. The early colors were turning on the maple, and poplar trees. The vibrant greens were mixed with a spattering of red and gold. The cool temperatures made it a perfect orchard day. Maybe next weekend, they could take a drive for apples. Apples and warm cider donuts meant autumn to him. The warm fragrance of the fried dough masking the pungent smell of the cider press reminded him of his youth. He was thinking of things that brought him joy. It meant he was moving through his grief, if not his regret.

He was the last to arrive, and his sister greeted him by teasing him for being late. He just rolled his eyes, because it was not for lack of effort. Even with Julie's help, being a single, working father was a challenge on the best day. If he was late, it usually involved something unforeseeable like an accident or extra coaxing to get Bridget to cooperate. The one rule he refused to budge on was not rewarding with food, and some days it took all he had to not say, if you put on your coat, I'll give you a cookie. Today he was late because Bridget wanted to wear her swimsuit to the lake and the rational, that it was too cold outside and no longer summer, was lost to her. He wished he hadn't slept through that eight am child psychology class years ago.

Already both of his children had run off to play. Clare's two, his nephews were just a little older and played with his little ones. He found the adults gathered on the porch overlooking the lake. The view never ceased to amaze him.

Tim said, "Hey Nick, Dad was asking about our new employee."

"I've met her. She's very nice," Clare said. "You boys got lucky. Of course, I have Emily so I am too."

"She's competent and hardworking. Mr. Michaud loves her."

"Mr. Michaud used to charm your mother in front of me," John Burke said.

Elizabeth Burke laughed. "He's so sweet he always made me laugh."

Tim said, "Good thing he was married or Nick and Clare would be Michauds."

Michael Shaw said, "I'm not in medicine, and even I know it doesn't work that way. Nick and my darling wife wouldn't exist."

Julie teased. "And Tim would be without a mother. I'm not sure I would have fell for him."

Elizabeth said, "It was the widower doctor who captured my heart not the patient."

Tim whined, "I thought it was his adorable son."

"It was you too, Timmy." Elizabeth reached over and pinched Tim's cheek.

Clare and Nick laughed. Recovering Clare said, "So the patients like Sara."

Nick nodded. "She charmed Lily too."

"When did she meet Lily?" Tim asked surprised.

"I ran into her as I was about to start rounds. She was dropping off her boyfriend's wallet. He must have left it at her place and work somewhere in the hospital, so I invited her on my rounds, including a visit with Lily."

Nick didn't know why he was so curious about who she was seeing. It wasn't his business.

Elizabeth Burke said, "I heard that little Lily is at home again, poor Christine."

His whole family knew about Lily and her illness. Their town was too small. Nick had been in school with Lily's uncle.

Wanting to lighten the mood, Nick said, "Mum, ask Tim about his nickname for our physician assistant."

Elizabeth said, "Timothy, you and your nicknames. What do you call this one?"

Tim glared at his brother, and Nick just smiled. He enjoyed getting Tim in trouble although it wasn't very difficult.

Julie said, "You haven't mentioned she has a nickname. What is it?"

Tim smiled. "It's a good one, really."

Nick knew that Tim was itching to tell because regardless of how Mum would react.

Nick said, "He's calling her Betty!"

"What?" Elizabeth glared at Tim.

"Mum, I've got a good reason for giving her your old nickname. Really, she sounds just like you. She looks like you when I met you." Tim insisted like he was ten again trying to get out of trouble.

Nick said, "He's right. Even Bridget noticed that she sounds like you."

Clare looked surprised. "When did Bridget meet her?"

"At the supermarket, we ran into her. She must live nearby."

Clare frowned. "You didn't know?"

"Know what?" Nick asked.

"She moved into Tardiff's extra apartment."

Tim said, "Oh Jesus! Sorry Mum. She's living in that same house as the bastard! Sorry again Mum!"

Elizabeth Burke tutted her stepson. Nick knew, she had heard worse during his and Clare's teen years.

Nick said, "She must know. I'm sure there are rumors."

Clare said, "I don't think so. No one talks about the accident. On my side, I'm not sure who they are more afraid of, me or Miles. He wants to keep it quiet, because he knows he came close to an ethics violation, they just couldn't prove it. On your side, the staff respects you too much."

Nick suddenly felt dread thinking of anyone with the bastard, but Sara was an adult. At least she wasn't single, not that it ever stopped Tardiff before. Still Sara wasn't really his type. He liked them tall and striking, like Mel. Sara was petite and not striking, but pretty. Yes, it was fair to say she was definitely pretty.

John Burke said, "Enough with this talk. I'd like to hear more about this young girl who looks like my wife. I might have to go see her for myself. My Elizabeth was beautiful, of course, she still is."

Nick smiled as his father reached out and captured his mother's hand bringing it to his heart and held it there. It comforted him to see his parents madly in love after forty-two years. His father had a second chance at love, but Nick wondered if he even wanted another shot or if he even knew what love was anymore.

His father was a lonely widower trying to run a practice and care for his son when he hired Elizabeth as his nurse. She and Tim got along and that was when the nickname, Betty, started. Tim spent his afternoons in the office and Mum always said she was unsure who fell in love first, her or Timothy. Tim had cleverly defied his father, who had insisted his son not call his nurse, 'by her given name'.

It was only after his mother returned to England when her father was sick that John Burke realized he loved his nurse. Upon her return, they were married a month later. Nick couldn't imagine repeating their perfect fairy tale.

"Mum... Mum," Clare repeated.

"Sorry, darling I was deep in thought."

Nick smiled, because he was certain his mother was reminiscing.

"The boys are hungry, can I help you in the kitchen," Clare asked.

"We need to feed this family don't we?" Elizabeth smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 9.6K 40
(Complete) Joe Walch was in love with the girl of his dreams. Everything was perfect until it all changed... Ella Burke had a wonderful family, a jo...
43.9K 4K 41
It wasn't romantic or easy. It was just something that happened." "God! Was it worth ruining everything?" "It wasn't. Dhruv, it happened. I don't w...
10.8K 93 47
Love is strange. It exists in many forms and is one of the key components that makes humans happy, but there isn't a lot of understanding surrounding...
147K 14.9K 56
(Complete) Divorced Dad, Leo Nelson, can't keep a nanny for his two children. His preteen daughter, Riley, plays tricks and sabotages every nanny the...