Carrion (The Bren Watts Diari...

By DAlecLyle

When a deadly plague spreads like wildfire, 17-year-old Bren Watts is trapped at Ground Zero of a global pand... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Cast of Characters (Guide)
FAN ARTS

Chapter 5

11.9K 689 305
By DAlecLyle

The riots were worse than I imagined.

Or at least it was caused by the riots, per the radio station I was listening to on my phone. Another social justice counter-protest after Neo-Nazis held another racist demonstration and a march (In New York, surprisingly, a liberal state). Unfortunately, this time, it had turned violent.

Then, the news came out of the hospital where Dr. Krasinsky was held and where a quarantine had been in effect for hours now.

I frowned at the news and the state of the world these days. I wasn't much of a political enthusiast, so current events seemed to pass me gracefully these days. My life revolved too much around the school. Or movies and TV shows I binged watch when I had free time. I tuned out of it and clicked on my playlist, opting to listen to Imagine Dragons instead. 

We boarded a metro bus back to our hotel, but the traffic sped at a turtle's pace, and we barely moved from Times Square. We still had two miles ahead of us, and we just entered Columbus Circle near Central Park.

Luke nudged me, and I took the earphones out of my ears. "What are you listening to?"

"Imagine Dragons."

"Ah, half of 'em members are Mormons," he said. "Do you know I'm a Mormon, too?"

I snorted. "Uh--no. I don't. I've known you for barely a day."

He laughed at that. "Yeah. But now that we're attending the same school, it'll be nice to be friends in a big city like this. Perfect time to get to know each other in the process."

I nodded, smiling. "That's a nice thought."

Luke stared at my earphones, which were still blasting some music. "Uh--do you mind if I listen in?"

It took me back for a second. I looked over Luke's shoulder and found Yousef, his friend, asleep. Luke gave me this pleading look, tugging at his ear, and frowned comically like he was dying as he pointed at Yousef's snoring. I laughed and gave him the other piece of my earphones. We listened to about two more songs on my Tune Out the World playlist.

The bus got moving again for the next couple of blocks, when all of a sudden, the bus screeched to a halt. I almost slid out of my seat and face-planted on the lap of a senior woman sitting across from me. My quick reflexes prevailed as I was able to catch myself. I earned a dirty scowl from the old broad and tried to apologize, but she scooted away from me in disgust.

Luke snickered beside me at my expense, and I playfully punched him on the shoulder. Yousef didn't fare better as he ended up sprawled on the floor. Luke and Mr. Ramirez helped him up.

Out on the front, the bus driver was throwing profanities left and right.

"Get off the road, you fucking moron!" He blared the horn loudly.

A few of the passengers craned their necks to gawk at the scene beyond the windshield. I did, too.

A man was standing in the middle of the pedestrian crossing, wearing a dark brown business suit with a red tie that was too big for his lanky frame. I clocked him to be around my age, but it seemed he was unmoved by the bus driver's constantly loud honking.

He seemed lost.

Behind us, vehicles honked their horns in response to the bus blocking the intersection. I was getting pissed. It was already past seven, and all I wanted was to sleep on my bed after a very long day of shopping and exploring the city. It was already dark outside, and it brought the seeping cold with it, and with the weather potentially bringing in the snow, I didn't want to get caught out in a storm, and most of the passengers in the bus shared my sentiments.

"What the hell is that guy's problem?" Logan spat.

Natalie and Aria were too busy on their phones, and in unison, they both exclaimed; "My internet!"

I narrowed my eyes at them judgingly.

Natalie whined to Logan. "Babe, I was about to post to my Instagram, and my data went down! I paid for this shit!" She was on the verge of tears. Aria whined along with her, desperately typing and smacking on her phone to get it to work.

I had enough of them. Getting out of my seat, I moved closer to the front. Luke followed after me along with Mr. Ramirez. The others stayed back, which I was thankful for as I certainly didn't want them near me right now when they're in one of their vapid moods.

Unbeknownst to me and the others, the internet went down throughout the city, not just us.

The bus driver threw his hands up in bewilderment and got up, waving the man on the crossing to move out of the way. When the businessman refused to move, the bus driver cursed and climbed out of the bus.

As I reached the front, the bus's headlights brightly illuminated the businessman's weak state. His face was gaunt and ashen like the blood had been sucked out of his cheeks. Sweat glistened on his forehead, and his hair was left unkempt, ruffled from a previous struggle. His suit was torn and ripped at the seams, tearing at the shoulders.

I thought he just got out of a bar fight somewhere, although, it was too early for that kind of thing. He may be caught up from the riot, which was not far away from the street I was in.

There was something wrong with the man's eyes.

Instead of having one set of pupils, the man had two on each eye, and they were rouged blood red. I was momentarily taken aback by his appearance and demeanor, bewildered. I instinctively step back, and I bumped into Luke behind me.

"You okay?" he asked.

"His eyes--"

Luke stepped closer through the windshield, and his eyes widened. We shared a concerned look.

The bus driver approached him, urging him to move out of the way. When the man didn't respond, the impatient bus driver pushed the man aside. The man stumbled onto the ground, and I could hear a few passengers gasped, remarking that the bus driver was assaulting him. Behind me, several phones filmed and photographed the scene, probably hoping for it to go viral.

"Should I go out there and help?" Luke asked.

I considered it, but I only gave him a shrug.

I felt sorry for the man. I did. But only for a split second. That was when my sympathy turned to terror.

The battered businessman jumped to his feet and latched his teeth right at the bus driver's throat. The bus driver screeched, trying to push the man off of him.

I didn't know if it was the overwhelming shock or the spur of the moment, but I hopped out of the bus and ran over to where the bus driver and the businessman were. I tried to pry the businessman off of him, but he was too strong, sinking his teeth harder into the bus driver's throat.

Then, he tore a chunk out of it, splattering the bus driver's blood all over my face. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 629 78
Stolen away by the Reapers, Killian must quickly adjust to his new surroundings in order to survive. It isn't easy when your captor seems to have a c...
5K 279 23
[BxB] It's been 3 years since the zombie apocalypse began, and Ryan has desperately been fighting for his survival. All of his family have already tu...
308K 25.6K 68
"It's true what they say about you, isn't it? You really did sip tea and smile as you watched humanity fall apart." "Nope," he said. "I sipped whiske...
14.4K 802 51
After the events of Swanston, Killian-Grey struggles to prove himself to the group after being branded as a traitor--especially when competing with h...