The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

A Wasp and a Promise

2.6K 109 2
By Skipology

Dawn broke and Lord Uhtred could not find Sachiel his hound. He looked about everywhere but could only find her chained collar abandoned on the ground.

The three kings; Aella, Uhtred and Osbert lead their armies towards Eoferwic. But the sight that was spread before them was terrifying. The Danes and sorched the earth, a burned clearing where forest once was. A dozen small fires burned here and there and among the ashes stood the Dane soldiers.

"What sort of hel is this?" King Osbert asked breathless at the sight. "Its a Pagan's hell, but look - we out number them!" King Aella cheered with optimism. Lord Uhtred frowned as he looked out upon them, and spotted a figure hidden in long black furs and sporting an Animal skull over itcs face.

Even from a distance, he felt it was watching him. "But nothing changes, we attack with half our ranksbthe second half have to follow, once we have measure over them." Lord aella instructed. 

"They have conceded to higher ground." Said Lord Uhtred. "Kingaler, yours and Lord Uhtred's armies will attack in the first wave." Called Aella. "Prepare!" Called Kingaler, Aella's General. "Shield!" Lord Uhtred called holding out his hand.

Meanwhile, young Uhtred could hear the horns of war sounding off while he fed his pony. "No!" He gasped rushing to grab all his things "not without me!" Uhtred cried out quickly throwing on his mail and armor, he took up his sword and wooden shield, he hopped upon the pony's back and tore for the sound of the horns.

Khaana stood between Ragnar Ravnson and Ubba as the rode up to either side of her. At Ubbacs other side sat Ragnar Ragnarson. Lord Uhtred's army marched closer, "come nightfall, we'll be rid of this plague and counting our share of the plunder!" He caled back to rally his men. But the look on his face was very uncertain as they inched closer to an army of brightly colored shields and terrifying war paint.

"Khaana, start the chant." Ubba ordered and Khaana started to whisper in the native ancestral tongue of the Danes and the soldiers joined in wither her. A thick, crushing feeling of shadow fell over the Saxon army and they slowed down in their steps.  They had been putt off by the strange sight and sound and their war cried fell silent.

"Thats good, keep the fires burning...make them believe the fires are real." Ubba said to Khaana. But keeping up the illusion of. A dozen eternally burning Trees, in the minds of well over one hundred men was draining. Because of the cursed necklace around her neck, her abilites were already drained.

Ragnar Ravnson eyed Khaana carefully, but remain silent. He would not advise Ubba to allow her to stop, as they needed to break the will of Lord Uhtred's army. They needed to shake some fear into them and so far it seemed to be working.

When Lord Uhtred's army got close enough the Danes all stop their chant. The silence that washed over the land seemed to come with a sharp chill that dripped down the spines of the Saxon army. The two side started to march towards one another. The Danes forming rows of straight lines, shields raised and connected.

After covering a few feet, they stopped and the first down knelt on the ground, hiding behind their shields. The secound rowm stood behind the first, slightly hunched overb shields held stacked above the first row. The third row followed suit, but stood at full heightb stacking their shields above the second row. Until at last the fourth row raised their shields above their heads to form a sort of roof or covering.

Skjaldborg, a shield wall, it was a hardy and deadly defense. Each man was only as strong as the warrior next to him. If one man gave in it put all in danger.

"Kill them all!" Lord Uhtred called out leading his men into a charge. However, the Shield wall held strong, with the Saxon army breaking like water on rock against it. From the hill top Beocca stood with King Aella watching the struggle below "the wall is holding" said Aella.  "Transfer all your shield and Drive!" Lord Uhtred cried out. He and his men. Rammed their shields against the wall and tried to push the Danes back.

From the rearlines Ubba smirked "ease" he ordered and the men passed it on amongst each other, taking baby steps the Danes walked as one drawing back the Shield Wall. "Keep pushing! It's working!" Called out Lord Uhtred to his men, who rallied in victory cries.

Khaana felt her stomach turn as she watched the joy and hope in the eyes of the Saxons, for they did notknow of the trap in which they were being lead.

A Dane soldier cried out in pain as a Saxon thrusted his sword through a small gap in the wall.  He fell dead at the feet of his fellows who merely stepped over him, many others fell as swords were stabbed into the gaps. "They look to be tiring, look they can't fight back." Said Beocca to Aella on the hill. "We're winning look!" One soldier cheered, "we are winning!" Cried another.

Aella drew out his sword and hollared out a battle cry before charging his men down the hill to join with Lord Uhtred, King Osbert following behind him with his own army.

Hearing the battle cries, Lord Uhtred looked back and his heart sank. "Not yet!" He called while trying to drive back the shield wall, "not yet!" He cried. But the armies charged in to close to turn back and too loyd to hear his orders.

Down in a long natural trench in the land, Guthrum lay in wait with a company of warriors hidden away, laying low. When the two Saxon armies rushed in that was their signal to charge. Their charge was silent and they went unnoticed by the loud Saxon armies, quickly lining up into four rows behind them. "Shield! Wall!" Guthrum shouted out and within seconds and second wall was formed, closing the saxon army between two walls of danes.

"Dear God, of unending mercy, n-not this!" Beocca gasped as he watch alone with the priests of Kings Aella and Osbert from the hill.  The saxon armies tried their best to break the walls, illing who they could but the gaps never stayed open long. "Kill them all!" Ragnar Ravnson shouted to thedane warriors. The danws started to thrust their swords out of the gaps between their spears stabbing the saxon soldiers.

Screams rang in Khaanacs ears, she shut her eyes and turned her head away from the slaughter, Ubba snatched up Khanna's chin and forced her to watch "you are a creature of the gods of war, you will not look away. This is ondeed a glorious sight." He sang with a grin. He gave her neck a jerk "open your eyes!" He barked.

Khaana's eyes flew open and she watched inwardly shaking her eyes darting across the scene before her. She wanted revenge against those who had wronged her, those who had taken her from her homeland and treated her like currency. But these men where not those people. "Ubba release her!" Ragnar Ragnarson yelled grasping Ubba's arm, but Ubba brushed him off.

"It is time to charge." Ubba said with a grin releasing Khaana's chin he carged his horse foreward, going around the walls and into the gathering of trapped Saxons, swinging his sword this way and that. The two Ragnars, elder and younger followed after him living the shaken Khaana alone.

"Legs! Protect your legs!" Lord Uhtreh called to his men, who were being slain at ancalarming rate. "Lift up your sword and spare these men of England who fight in your name." Beocca prayed dropping to his knees."let the heathens hearts crumble and wither. Restore your power upon these men of England, so they can can glorify your name with the blood of the devils." He prayed.

The Danes now greatly out numbered the saxons and the shield walls still stood. The scent of blood and soil filled Khaana's nose, the copper-like flavore staining her mouth. She could only imagine the fullness of it all in the thick of the fray. "I am not made for such as this." Khaana breathed. " I am a protector, but what here am I to protect? " she questioned.

"Have mercy now lord, do not forsake us, do not forsake England." Beocca prayed withholding the tears in his eyes.

Khaana feet bid her to run, to flee from the terrifying sights and sounds before her, as all her senses were overwhelmed. Until she felt him arriving from the trees. She could fell hom before she saw him and turned his way.

Out through the Trees came Little Uhtred, dressed in light armor and armed with gear that was never meant to stand up to such battles. "You! Boy! Get back into the Trees!" Khaana called into Uhtredcs mind. He looked around for the Hound but he could not see her.

Lord Uhtred looked around at his dwendling men, something had to be done and quickly. "Follow me!" He shouted shoving through the weakening shield wall, cutting his way through.

"Take him!" Ordered Ragnar Ravnson, while Lord Uhted swung at Guthrum. The younger Ragnar charged his horse at Lord Uthred knocking him to the ground. His sword and shield fell away from him. "Close the shield wall! Close it and take him!" Ragnar Ragnarson ordered.

Khaana looked from Lord Uhtred to his son, she snatched off her mask as Young Uhtred spotted his father. Lord Uhtred got to his feet and took up his sword swinging at Guthrum who seemed to be toying with the saxon king. Meanwhile, Kjartan snuck up behind Lord Uhtred and in a swift silent trust plunged his sword clean through the kings neck.

Lord Uhtred locked eyes with Khaana as he dropped to his knees. "No!" Young Uhtred cried rushing out towards Kjartan and towards his father. Beocca was dragged away by his fellow priests as they watched the king fall dead. He was pulled away from from the hill and towards the horses. Ragnar Ravnson dismounted his horse and walked to get a better look at the fallen king.

Khaana ran for Young Uhtred, hoping to cut him off as he ran sword raised towards Ravnson as if to protect his father. But for a creature who seldom had to walk or run on two legs, Khaana was slower than the child.  Uhtred rushed the dane Jarl and swung. But Ravnson easily blocked the boy with his shield, that did not stop Uhtred from trying again and again. Ragnar Ragnarson chuckled and watched fro his Horse.

"He is like a ittle wasp." He laughed removing his leather helmet and shakening out his wheat colored ponytail. Ravnson snickered and continued to humor the child, allowing him a few more swings before taking up his axe and cutting Young Uhtredcs sword in half. Uhtred looked down at his broken. Blade in shock, Ravnson then shoved the boy to the ground with his shield and turned his back to him.

"The wasp has lost its sting, it seems" Ragnar Ragnarson mocked as his father walked towards him and his own horse. "Yeah." Ravnson sighed.

Uhtred took up his broken sword, hopped up to his feet and charged Ravnson, stabbing him with the fkat blade tip. Ravnson groaned loudly and turned to look at the boy, stunned and enraged, he knocked Uhtred in the side of the head with the back of his axe. Uhtred fell, the chaimail around his head very well saving his life.

Khaana took to her hound form and bounded towards the boy. "Are you sure he is a Saxon? Fights an aeful lot like a Dane." Ragnar Ragnarson muttered watching the boy carefully as he lay on the ground, slowly crawling to his feet while reaching for his amber pendant.

Ravnson heard the boy's movement and turned around to walk back to him. Uhtred rolled over and looked up in fear as he spotted the end of an axe handle rushing towards his face. Ravnson ammed the handle against the boy's forehead knocking him out.

Khaana snarled and lunged at Ravnson, snatching his axe she snapped it between her jaws and stood over the child. Her fur spiked down her back, head hung low and teeth bared. "You leave him be!" She warned snapping at Ravnson's feet, causing him to back away. "You dare show your teeth to me." Ravnson said in a low and dangerous tone.

"Had meant to kill the boy he would be dead." He added. Khaana still held her ground. "What did I tell you? You let her get away with too much. And now your pet is becoming very disobedient. We cannot have her so untame when the gods do decide to collect her from us." Ubba said from his horse.

The battle around them had ended, the Danes were now gathering Prisoners and counting their dead. "Aana-na...stand down." Ragnar Ragnarson warned cautiously. Khaana still held her ground. "Only if the boy is prisoner of Earl Ravn, he must not go too Ubba." Khaana bargained.

"Very well but it is up to you to drag him around until he wakes" Ravnson grummbled mounting his horse. Khaana waited for the three to ride away before tking to herhuman form and gathering the child up in her arms.

She stood over Lord Uhtred's body. "For my sins against you. I swear to guard your boy with my life. May your sould find our fathers gates." She whispered, turning on her heel she went to get away from the death field.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 116 24
Redinfel was raised in Craven, in Northumbria. Born to a Saxon woman, but raised by Danes. Her father and brother were killed by the bastard son of U...
58 1 19
"A Guardian who's told he's the heir, the chosen one with all the answers, a world who's memories are altered and the Slaad lords that bring war." ...
49.5K 1.3K 27
Shaylee had nothing more to lose when she sneaked into a boat and left her homeland Ireland for good. She had burned all the bridges behind her, and...
38K 654 19
Chaotic, Coldhearted, Evil. Raven black hair, ice blue eyes and a devilish stare that could freeze everything she had in sight. Njorun Noraide, Katte...